Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81695 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Anne

United States

#94515 Dec 1, 2013
Hope my chicken sitter is doing a good job for me. Lol
Have a glorious Sunday!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#94517 Dec 1, 2013
Anne wrote:
When I said "Flavorful Festival Food" in no way did it mean the picnicking party of the crowds watching the slaughter. I wouldn't be one to watch a hanging either. I simply can't understand wanting to watch people die in such a fashion
I agree with you, Anne. I cringed when I saw the video of Saddam Hussein hanged which was understandable. The two methods that have been horrific in my mind are drawing and quartering and the firing squad. At least, with the hangings the heads are covered. Years ago in old England, the children would be in those monstrous crowds. Awful!
You have a great evening!
Atrocities

Cadiz, KY

#94518 Dec 1, 2013
Unfortunately numbers in Civil War for dead Americans in battle is that every combatant that fell was an American. Not trying at all to minimalize the horrible numbers at all but it is a point.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94519 Dec 1, 2013
Atrocities wrote:
Unfortunately numbers in Civil War for dead Americans in battle is that every combatant that fell was an American. Not trying at all to minimalize the horrible numbers at all but it is a point.
That would be true for most combatants, but not every casualty was an American. There were also many losses from diseases and infected injurys and amputations resulting in gangrene that were not directly counted as battle casualties. Also quite a number of civilian deaths. More Americans died during the Civil War than all other wars combined.
Tollesboro Guy

Owingsville, KY

#94520 Dec 1, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Anne.. that first battle of Bull Run (Manassas) was a big social event where the elite came down from Washington with picnic baskets to watch the game and "tailgate". The excitement soon dwindled when the Yankees lost the "Super Bowl" but it also gave the Rebels a false sense of over-confidence.
I agree with you on Topix threads. It is a very rare thing that I visit any thread other than this one. Most of the others are toxic and ugly and this one is also from time to time and I have learned to just ignore the ugly.
I check in every time I get an email and have not noticed any "ugliness". I am not looking for any, I come her as so many forums are "Ugly"! Let's keep this one clean, I like it. I will never even be rude, let alone "mean".

Level 1

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#94521 Dec 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>That would be true for most combatants, but not every casualty was an American. There were also many losses from diseases and infected injurys and amputations resulting in gangrene that were not directly counted as battle casualties. Also quite a number of civilian deaths. More Americans died during the Civil War than all other wars combined.
I often wonder, with the more sanitized versions of war Americans see now, if the American people could "stomach" a war with the casualties of these numbers. There were no drone attacks back then. As always Wolf, thanks for the information. I need a civil war Christmas story to get me in the mood-- watcha got?
BadImposter

London, KY

#94522 Dec 2, 2013
What do you think about a bunch that came strutting through the gates of a slime covered place like topix and started scrubbing the floors in one certain spot? What the H were you here for in the first place?

Topix has caused young girls to think life was no longer worth living because of the rumors lies or truths spread around hereabouts.

Have any of you ever been poor or even felt downtrodden at any point ...during your golden life?

What did Wolf try to get across when he posted that a lot of the men and women fighting on either side during the civil war were in their respective armies
so they could eat regularly, not because they had strong feelings politically, either way? It was a short post but it spoke volumes.

Make a pariah out of me will you?
Hey Wolf, Hey MissE...
Hey everyone. Get out the mop.
Hahahah Got you, again. Glad to be back I'll be here all week.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94523 Dec 2, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I often wonder, with the more sanitized versions of war Americans see now, if the American people could "stomach" a war with the casualties of these numbers. There were no drone attacks back then. As always Wolf, thanks for the information. I need a civil war Christmas story to get me in the mood-- watcha got?
Not exactly a Christmas story, but it was the day the war paused briefly in Kentucky. Sister Mary Lucy Dosh succumbed to typhoid fever while nursing Union troops and Confederate POWs in Paducah. She was an orphan taken in by the Sisters of Nazareth of Louisville and was teaching music at St. Mary's Academy in Paducah when the war broke out and she began to do double duty as a nurse.

To make sure the troops and POWs had ample food, she took less herself and sang softly while making her rounds. The lack of food weaked her system and is perhaps the cause of death from the typhoid fever.

On December 29, 1861; even battle-hardened soldiers were heartbroken at her passing and she was carried to her resting place by a dozen officers... 6 wearing blue and 6 wearing gray.
BadImposter

London, KY

#94524 Dec 2, 2013
The movie "Bad Santa" what do you think about it?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94525 Dec 2, 2013
*The above are excerpts from "Hidden History of Kentucky in the Civil War" by Berry Craig.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94526 Dec 2, 2013
@Miss E.. here is a sort of funny but brillant escape. Union Sergeant Robert T. Pierce was captured by the Confederates in Georgia and decided that no one could tell the difference between a naked Yankee and a naked Rebel, so he stashed his clothes beneath him and floated nude on a fence railing right on by his captors that were bathing in Georgia's Chattahoochee River and successfully made his way back to the First Kentucky Cavalry. LOL

Level 1

Location hidden

#94527 Dec 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Miss E.. here is a sort of funny but brillant escape. Union Sergeant Robert T. Pierce was captured by the Confederates in Georgia and decided that no one could tell the difference between a naked Yankee and a naked Rebel, so he stashed his clothes beneath him and floated nude on a fence railing right on by his captors that were bathing in Georgia's Chattahoochee River and successfully made his way back to the First Kentucky Cavalry. LOL
Is this a plot to get me naked on the monkey bars ? Anne said you guys were crafty!
Thanks for the stories to get my day off to a good start.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94528 Dec 2, 2013
BadImposter wrote:
No opinion, I have not seen it and most likely won't as long as I can find Charley Brown and his pitiful little tree. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94529 Dec 2, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this a plot to get me naked on the monkey bars ? Anne said you guys were crafty!
No, I don't care for monkey bars but I was hoping to do a duet with you in the old Gospel "Shall We Gather At The River" lol
qwerty

Luck, WI

#94530 Dec 2, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this a plot to get me naked on the monkey bars ?
Gosh I hope so.
I mean....er....that's terrible. Getting flanked with the winter months approaching. I hope ya got a good stash of supplies.
qwerty

Luck, WI

#94531 Dec 2, 2013
BadImposter wrote:
Didn't like it.
I'm more into the oldies. I also gotta make sure Ralphie gets his BB gun every year.

Level 1

Location hidden

#94532 Dec 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>No, I don't care for monkey bars but I was hoping to do a duet with you in the old Gospel "Shall We Gather At The River" lol
I do like that one! Or the Church in the Wildwood. I was at an antique store and picked up a songbook from 1908 titles songs everyone should know.
Anne

United States

#94534 Dec 2, 2013
BadImposter wrote:
Have any of you ever been poor or even felt downtrodden at any point ...during your golden life?
What did Wolf try to get across when he posted that a lot of the men and women fighting on either side during the civil war were in their respective armies so they could eat regularly, not because they had strong feelings politically, either way? It was a short post but it spoke volumes..
Yup. I've been poor where we "robbed Peter to pay Paul" and my life sure isnt golden. My heart breaks every morning my kid walks past me to the door on their way to work , looks straight past me and won't even speak to me. Ya know it hurts. Hurts bad. How about ....on and on.

As far as people joining the armed services to eat? People still do that. It really is a paying job. You think people sign up to volunteer without any benefits?? Think again.

Any way I've been doing a little traveling today and the weather is fantastic for driving! The skies are grey but the sun is peeking through! Yes Yes!! I plan to stop in the town my great grandparents lived and look for their last house. Wonder if its still there...
Anne

United States

#94535 Dec 2, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>I do like that one! Or the Church in the Wildwood. I was at an antique store and picked up a songbook from 1908 titles songs everyone should know.
Lol. I buy old hymn books also!!!!
Anne

United States

#94536 Dec 2, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>Is this a plot to get me naked on the monkey bars ? Anne said you guys were crafty!
Watch 'em, girl!! Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I asked where you got your hat 42 min You are her 5
Trump for President, He will win. watch 1 hr gone bye 555
Jesus Christ is alive 2 hr gone bye 34
Probation and parole drug testing 6 hr CuriousExOffender 1
What gets you sexually charged? 14 hr Thats Weird 10
rooming houses/boarding houses 20 hr cape cod 1
News Louisville drug kingpin cuts deal, gets more le... (Aug '13) Sun Boss 8

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance