Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81699 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Level 1

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#91824 Aug 14, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>I have a friend from Thailand that makes jokes about baked possum and hillbillies every time I talk to him. I had him and his lovely south korean wife over for dinner one evening. My date had made them some fried rabbit from a few that I had been blessed to get the day before. They smacked their lips and devoured every bite of that rabbit. When he finnaly asked what it was I said...why that was baked possum Tao... You should have seen his face.
I shouldn't have fessed up that it was really rabbit, but I did.
I've never tried it but I hear Armadillo is tasty. Road kill cafe I guess
Anne

Newburgh, IN

#91825 Aug 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I would prefer to have some of Boudreau and Thibodeau's Boudin.
We lived in Thibodaux off of bayou lafourche for a couple years. A cousin still lives south of New Orleans. Boudin, jambalaya, crawfish ťtouffťe, jumbo shrimp, alligator tail... Real shame I'm allergic to shellfish..
Anne

Newburgh, IN

#91826 Aug 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never tried it but I hear Armadillo is tasty. Road kill cafe I guess
I bet its real tasty but I'm not tryin it! Lol

Level 1

Location hidden

#91827 Aug 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>We lived in Thibodaux off of bayou lafourche for a couple years. A cousin still lives south of New Orleans. Boudin, jambalaya, crawfish étouffée, jumbo shrimp, alligator tail... Real shame I'm allergic to shellfish..
I've been through there when I lived there. Couple of bad speed traps---

Level 1

Location hidden

#91828 Aug 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>We lived in Thibodaux off of bayou lafourche for a couple years. A cousin still lives south of New Orleans. Boudin, jambalaya, crawfish étouffée, jumbo shrimp, alligator tail... Real shame I'm allergic to shellfish..
But there are just as many yuck items there--- hog head cheese, tripe, stomach. When they say a Cajun eats everything but the oink -- they are not lying
Anne

United States

#91829 Aug 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
But there are just as many yuck items there--- hog head cheese, tripe, stomach. When they say a Cajun eats everything but the oink -- they are not lying
Lol ! You got that right!!
what now

United States

#91830 Aug 14, 2013
My goodness! You all have been places! Funny foods. All I know is farm foods, canning, and fast food. I did eat 1 tiny fish egg, and I've had escargo. I put the squid in a styrofoam cup to take to mom to try first. Lucky her, it never made it to her though, the ice melted and it started stinking, so I put it in the gas station trash barrell.
I'm just taking a break from work, work, work and putting my 2 cents in..

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91831 Aug 14, 2013
It is not necessarily Cajun... We only wasted the squeal. The intestines were turned inside-out and washed in the creek, then boiled for sausage casings. Souse was made from snouts ears, eyelids, etc. Pigs feet and tail were pickled. The fat was boiled down for lard and the resulting pork rinds were ground and put into corn bread that we called "Cracklin Bread". Good stuff except for the souse. Even the heads were cracked open and brains and eggs were a delicacy (but not for me LOL).

Level 1

Location hidden

#91832 Aug 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
It is not necessarily Cajun... We only wasted the squeal. The intestines were turned inside-out and washed in the creek, then boiled for sausage casings. Souse was made from snouts ears, eyelids, etc. Pigs feet and tail were pickled. The fat was boiled down for lard and the resulting pork rinds were ground and put into corn bread that we called "Cracklin Bread". Good stuff except for the souse. Even the heads were cracked open and brains and eggs were a delicacy (but not for me LOL).
Ohhhhh cracklings. Yum

Level 2

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#91833 Aug 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Tobacco is still grown around here but just not as much as in prior times. In the flatter areas, I am seeing large acreage of corn nearly as far as one can see. The hill country (where small tobacco bases could be grown in the bottom land) has just returned to woods and forests or pasture land.
Many of the old tobacco barns are in bad shape and falling down and the lumber being reused such as I have done with my homestead addition interior walls. Some of that lumber is so old and seasoned that it cannot be nailed without pre-drilling.
Just last night on the way out to dinner with my friend, I saw several acres of what looked like Morning Glory blooms. I did not understand that unless it was some kind of winter cover crop or something for cattle feed.
The boards making up an old dilapidated barn can brign some big money.

Level 2

Scotts Vegas

#91834 Aug 14, 2013
August 14, 2013 - STRANGE THINGS AFOOT ON OUR SUN: A coronal hole has formed in the sun's northern hemisphere, and it is spewing solar wind into space. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory photographed the UV-dark gap during the early hours of August 14th. In the image, above, the sun's magnetic field is traced by white curving lines. The coronal hole is where those magnetic field lines have opened up, allowing solar wind to escape. A stream of solar wind flowing from this coronal hole is expected to reach Earth on August 16-18. NOAA forecasters estimate a 25% chance of polar geomagnetic storms when the windy stream arrives.

Copy/paste for my C/P fans.

Level 2

Scotts Vegas

#91835 Aug 14, 2013
Did anyone else see the footage of those fire whirls today? fire whirls are awesome.

Level 1

Location hidden

#91836 Aug 14, 2013
Blueminer wrote:
Did anyone else see the footage of those fire whirls today? fire whirls are awesome.
I will go check my prepper supplies for EMP event
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91838 Aug 14, 2013
@ Don't Care, Lol. Hope you enjoyed yourself with " her" as well ;) Sounds like it was a real good time. I enjoyed the breeze and temps:)
Anne

United States

#91840 Aug 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
When I was about 10 or so I opened grandmas freezer and saw a large paper bag. Curious person that I am I opened it. OMG !! A big hog head!! Snout, ears, hair bristles! All there!! I shut that freezer lid FAST!
I think she finally threw it away as we NEVER had any thing called souse or head cheese!
Anne

United States

#91841 Aug 14, 2013
Blueminer wrote:
Missed that. And fire swirls would sure be a sight to see! But I made a point to watch those meteor showers. Last night I tried it again for a short time--saw several but the planes circling for a landing with their "headlights" on bright and the chill in the air soon discouraged me and I went in and hit the hay.
Anne

United States

#91842 Aug 14, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been through there when I lived there. Couple of bad speed traps---
Hmmmmm! Talking from experience? Lol. Down towards Grand Isle we were stopped in a sweet (for them) speed trap. Us and 2 other cars at the same time! Get this: we paid the fine by check right then and there!!! Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91843 Aug 14, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was about 10 or so I opened grandmas freezer and saw a large paper bag. Curious person that I am I opened it. OMG !! A big hog head!! Snout, ears, hair bristles! All there!! I shut that freezer lid FAST!
I think she finally threw it away as we NEVER had any thing called souse or head cheese!
If you have ever bought pickle loaf, vienna sausages, potted meat, bologna, or some hot dogs; then you most likely ate some hog heads.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91844 Aug 14, 2013
Anne.. you are really traveling on. In just 3 hours you made it from Owensboro to Birmingham. It is no wonder you got caught in a speed trap. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91845 Aug 14, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
@ Don't Care, Lol. Hope you enjoyed yourself with " her" as well ;) Sounds like it was a real good time. I enjoyed the breeze and temps:)
It would have been a nice day for that activity with her. But all I did was mow grass. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
marcie vause ( marcie markert vause) charles fr... 2 hr judy teale levy 1
christian vause ( chris vause) at cardinal alum... 2 hr judy teale 3
Trump for President, He will win. watch (Aug '16) 5 hr Commonsense 2,660
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 7 hr _FLATLINE-------- 9,524
On Fire Christian Center-Pastor Chuck Salvo 14 hr Matthew 40
News Police investigating shooting in Oldham County (Jun '09) 14 hr aab 10
Manny E 17 hr Nodrama 4

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance