Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,721

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#88927 Apr 29, 2013
Hi everyone!! Long time, again!!!

I'm overjoyed to see leaves on all of the trees and flowers starting to bloom everywhere! What a loooooong winter it was, huh?

Hope everyone is doing well. It looks like everyone has been busy outside. I enjoyed reading about the gardens and things that some of you have going on. Way to go!!

Still nothing from Blue though. And where is Hemp? It's unnatural for them both to be gone this long... Praying that things are okay on their sides of the rock..

Anne, don't fret over those $100.00 eggs. In the beginning it feels that way. But it'll even itself out. Not to mention the entertainment you get out of watching your hens every day. They're clowns and can make you laugh with the silly things they do... I initially had so much money tied up in mine that I thought I'd have been better off NOT having any. But during all the years that they've continued to produce eggs AND make me smile? Priceless blessings...
(And nutritious, naturally. Hormone free, fresh free range eggs? Nothing better IMO).

Okay, well, chat later!! Looks like everyone might be in bed right now. I'm always too late for a good chat here anymore it seems.

God bless you, everyone!!
Goodnight!

treehugger

Middlesboro, KY

#88928 Apr 29, 2013
Not true
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88929 Apr 30, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Hi everyone!! Long time, again!!!
I'm overjoyed to see leaves on all of the trees and flowers starting to bloom everywhere! What a loooooong winter it was, huh?
Hope everyone is doing well. It looks like everyone has been busy outside. I enjoyed reading about the gardens and things that some of you have going on. Way to go!!
Still nothing from Blue though. And where is Hemp? It's unnatural for them both to be gone this long... Praying that things are okay on their sides of the rock..
Anne, don't fret over those $100.00 eggs. In the beginning it feels that way. But it'll even itself out. Not to mention the entertainment you get out of watching your hens every day. They're clowns and can make you laugh with the silly things they do... I initially had so much money tied up in mine that I thought I'd have been better off NOT having any. But during all the years that they've continued to produce eggs AND make me smile? Priceless blessings...
(And nutritious, naturally. Hormone free, fresh free range eggs? Nothing better IMO).
Okay, well, chat later!! Looks like everyone might be in bed right now. I'm always too late for a good chat here anymore it seems.
God bless you, everyone!!
Goodnight!
And what about Abliever? She has been missing for a while too. Yes, chickens can be quite entertaining. Mine free range only in the afternoons after collecting my eggs. The get layer pellets in the mornings and scratch grains at dusk to tell them it is time to quit free ranging and come home to roost. The Big rooster walks along in front of me, looking back to tell me I am walking too slow. LOL. The little rooster brings up the rear and making sure that no straggling hens get left behind.

It is funny to see how they choose the same roosting spot every night, with some hens making sure they get to sit next to the roosters. One likes to suspend and rock back and forth all night long on one of those orange electric cords strung across the top of the main building. I have baby chicks in the tool shed closest to the house, and an incubator going in my laundry room where I hope to have at least a 25% hatch rate with more babies in mid-May. Besides the entertainment, chickens are my part time job and gives me something to do. I sell enough eggs to town folk to cover the cost of feed and give away the rest in exchange for a slice of pies and cakes and such.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#88930 Apr 30, 2013
Another Beautiful morning! Going to be in the 80's today! Enjoy it, it won't last!!
Anne

United States

#88931 Apr 30, 2013
Good morning!!
It's a beautiful morning!...just like you said , Roaming!

I hadn't even considered the entertainment value of these chickens! A little bonus there. Nope, I think I will set a bench out by the little chicken shed just for that purpose. After all, got a couple chairs down by where I feed the fish, a glider by the trampoline, rockers on the porch...soon, a bench by the chicken coop! Green Acres all over again! Lol AW, you seen to have quite the operation going there! i won't ever get that far with mine but I'm a little envious if what all you've done.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#88933 Apr 30, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
And what about Abliever? She has been missing for a while too. Yes, chickens can be quite entertaining. Mine free range only in the afternoons after collecting my eggs. The get layer pellets in the mornings and scratch grains at dusk to tell them it is time to quit free ranging and come home to roost. The Big rooster walks along in front of me, looking back to tell me I am walking too slow. LOL. The little rooster brings up the rear and making sure that no straggling hens get left behind.
It is funny to see how they choose the same roosting spot every night, with some hens making sure they get to sit next to the roosters. One likes to suspend and rock back and forth all night long on one of those orange electric cords strung across the top of the main building. I have baby chicks in the tool shed closest to the house, and an incubator going in my laundry room where I hope to have at least a 25% hatch rate with more babies in mid-May. Besides the entertainment, chickens are my part time job and gives me something to do. I sell enough eggs to town folk to cover the cost of feed and give away the rest in exchange for a slice of pies and cakes and such.
was wondering about AB also. hope everything is ok. but im sure she is out enjoying this weather. i haven't had much computer time either.... cause its just been so nice! wonder if she is going to any of the derby hoopla?

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#88934 Apr 30, 2013
Ah what a lovely day! Wish I could have been outside in it. Will definately be out in it tomorrow!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88935 Apr 30, 2013
Thread postings are rather few and far between. Has the bird thread run it's course?
bird watcher

Bell, CA

#88936 Apr 30, 2013
I saw a few today... Yellow spotted birch neck
bird watcher

Carson, CA

#88937 Apr 30, 2013
Maybe not that exactly, but it's what I call em

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#88938 Apr 30, 2013
I think people are busy. It's that time of year I guess.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#88939 Apr 30, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Thread postings are rather few and far between. Has the bird thread run it's course?
nah..... it just always get quiet when there's no bickering going on. i think we still get a good number of viewers, its just most have nothing to say ... and some nothing nice to say.lol

beans have finally decided its safe to grow again after the frost last week. i had lost a few and the ones that made it looked fine but, they just had not done anything new after growing three inches and doubling leaves the previous week. today the big one in the middle decided to pop out another three or four beginnings of leaves, so i figure the rest will follow suit. peppers are doing great but take a lot of water. i always thought that they would grow closer to a cactus type plant and freak out every time i water them like my aloes tend to do but... nope! i have finally found a crop that will let me hover and over water till my hearts content and not die! i have read and been told that if you with hold the watering a little and let them thirst that you will get a hotter pepper but oh well.... save me from taking a few zantacs.

have decided cabbages are freaks of nature.... the sun comes out....nothing..... it gets bitter cold and rains all night, get another set of leaves....

still no sign of melons..... shouldn't i be seeing vines at least?
threw them out march 27th down hill from the compost pit and covered loosely with some left over mulch and clippings from the first mow. nothing at all yet.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88940 May 1, 2013
dog-tree time.@Betty.. I set out cabbage plants and was trying to keep the chickens out of them and forgot all about the rabbits. They got every one over night. Oh well, I like looking at the fat rabbits more than I like making kraut. LOL

Your melons are going to need several days of consistently warmer and dryer weather. The yo-yo April is over and you may start seeing some growth by mid-May. I have been trying for two weeks to get the corn field dry enough to plant corn and every time it gets close, here comes more rains. I suppose we could all use just a bit more patience.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#88941 May 1, 2013
Oh look at that sun! Another beautiful day! I will be mowing today and putting the birds out more seeds. I hope you all enjoy it too.
Anne

United States

#88942 May 1, 2013
Good morning! Another beautiful day!!

Got most of the chicken coop cleaned out so we can start the remodeling job tomorrow! I found ALL kinds if surprises in that shed! Those 35. 1 pound coffee cans from a long ago auction I got for a dollar of so? They held hundreds of brand new bright and shiny nuts, bolts and screws of all sizes! Cast iron cookware? Found it! I have enough to cook with for the entire wagon train!!!
Been super busy and also topix all of a sudden said i couldn't post because I need java script and cookies.
Anne

United States

#88943 May 1, 2013
betty wrote:
<quoted text>
nah..... it just always get quiet when there's no bickering going on. i think we still get a good number of viewers, its just most have nothing to say ... and some nothing nice to t.
I agree with this!! A good while back I was on thread that was really being hit hard with the trolls. It got to be rather awful so we left. We soon found out that things need a little spice every now and then to keep it going...(like romance, I guess! Lol).
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88944 May 1, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Oh look at that sun! Another beautiful day! I will be mowing today and putting the birds out more seeds. I hope you all enjoy it too.
Me too. Almost two acres plus trimming the creek bank weeds. Right now I am watching the rooster dance around trying to impress the hens. I think I saw him or someone similar doing the same dance once before in a Country Western bar while wearing a big cowboy hat and doing the Texas Two-step.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#88945 May 1, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too. Almost two acres plus trimming the creek bank weeds. Right now I am watching the rooster dance around trying to impress the hens. I think I saw him or someone similar doing the same dance once before in a Country Western bar while wearing a big cowboy hat and doing the Texas Two-step.
Glad I don't have a big yard anymore. I just couldn't handle it. I mow only about half an acre behind the house.
Oh my birds will be happy!!
Anonymous

Flemingsburg, KY

#88948 May 1, 2013
Libby wrote:
That happened in Arkansas too. But it was birds bees and fish?? It's the crazy thing I've ever heard of
What did Tenna See? she saw what Arken Saw!!!
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#88949 May 1, 2013
someone posted this to my face book wall..... had to share.

CINDY WILLIAMS was appointed by Obama as an Assistant Director for NATIONAL SECURITY in the Congressional Budget Office.....

Cindy William wrote a piece for the Washington Times denouncing the pay raise(s) coming service members' way this year citing that she stated a 13% wage increase was more than they deserve.
A young airman from HillAFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this.

"Ms Williams:
I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GI's earn enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes per month. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40 after.
I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for "Network Technicians" in the Washington , D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience in my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum.......... I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.
Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces.
Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN ; I leave the choice of service branch up to you. Whatever choice you make though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience."
As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone. Obviously they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them.
Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites.. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night, and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE's (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor.
Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't be nearly long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your open piece.
But, tomorrow from KABUL , I will defend to the death your right to say it.
You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment right and every other right you cherish...On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective noses at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.
And you, Ms.. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve?
A1C Michael Bragg, Hill AFB AFNCC

true so true

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
places that hire felons.help! 45 min constanceswan 1
Kentucky wants to give illegal immigrants drive... (Nov '07) 4 hr Mike 17
brad jones fairdale 6 hr beef 8
Mouse Moments - (Sep '11) 13 hr Maverick 808 12,445
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) 15 hr kctopps 61
Sarah annanice reece 22 hr Maverick 808 3
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 22 hr Maverick 808 7,943
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web