Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,705

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#87902 Mar 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Morning Blue. I won't tell DOT on you but you must reciprocate LOL I think Global Warming has been placed on the back burner in lieu of all this bombardment on Gay marriage. I wish they would just let those fools get on with theirselves and Shut up and let the chips fall where they may. Remember the story on Sodom and Gomorrah.
Too many people are trying to tell others how to live or not live including not drinking big colas, smoking, ad infinitum. If people want to engage in activities that do them in, let em. I won't be standing on the sidewalk telling some fool to jump or not jump, I will just get out of his way so he won't land on me. LOL
Much to do outdoors over the next few days and weeks and looking forward to doing that instead of sitting in the house looking out the window at all the rain and snow and mud. Life is Good. GOD is GREAT. Be SAFE out there, the life you save might be mine. LOL
LOL AW, leave it to you to be politically incorrect, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. I never worried about what anyone ate, drank, smoked,or whatever else they wanted to do behind closed doors. There are too many rules to follow these days. I want to be free to make or not make my own mistakes, and I never ask about anyone's private decisions. I have enough trouble running my own life.....
Anne

United States

#87904 Mar 27, 2013
Blueminer wrote:
Almost forgot...HOWLS it goin Ancient Wolf? And everyone else. Hello and good night Everyone! Gotta get some sleep now.
"HOWLS it goin Ancient Wolf?" Lol. Wish I'd thought of that!!

Good Morning everyone!! I know I've sorta invited myself in, but in another life I was blue and we had a nice little thread going! Trolls came by...enough of that! Anyway I've enjoyed visiting everyone here!

Btw I slept like a log last night , not a bit of the old waking up or not being able to sleep! That was a relief! I have, many nights, lain in bed with my mind so busy that I've "entertained" my self for several hours. Didnt even need a TV or a book! Hey im trying to make lemonaid with those "lemons" Lol. Actually Those are the nights I get mad at my self and wish I'd go to sleep!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#87905 Mar 27, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL AW, leave it to you to be politically incorrect, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. I never worried about what anyone ate, drank, smoked,or whatever else they wanted to do behind closed doors. There are too many rules to follow these days. I want to be free to make or not make my own mistakes, and I never ask about anyone's private decisions. I have enough trouble running my own life.....
Yep, you can count on me to swim up-stream LOL I have even been known to stand up in the middle of a church sermon when others were saying "Amen" and I would say "That ain't right". LOL

I think a lot of church rules are just man-made to maintain social conformity of the group and that is the last thing I want to be... "a politically correct conformist".
Anne

United States

#87907 Mar 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, you can count on me to swim up-stream LOL I have even been known to stand up in the middle of a church sermon when others were saying "Amen" and I would say "That ain't right". LOL
".
Bet that was a church service that wasnt forgotten soon !! Lol. I've not done that but I don't necessarily follow the crowd just to fit in. Well I guess I really don't follow the crowd at all. Certain groups I do associate with , they as individuals are their own persons and not crowd followers. I'm just a hard headed old woman sittin on this hill doin what I want!!!

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#87908 Mar 27, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Bet that was a church service that wasnt forgotten soon !! Lol. I've not done that but I don't necessarily follow the crowd just to fit in. Well I guess I really don't follow the crowd at all. Certain groups I do associate with , they as individuals are their own persons and not crowd followers. I'm just a hard headed old woman sittin on this hill doin what I want!!!
Good. Me too, except that I'm soft in the head. LOL I never followed the crowds, and today, I am better off for doing so.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87910 Mar 27, 2013
Good morning birdthreaders, Sun shining, birds singing, still nippy out, but no "s". Yay. I guess there is a bounty out on the Pa groundhog huh? lol

betty, I was busy until late each night and too tired for the computer. We had a "Revolution" party for the new season opener that left a hanging after we were all hooked on it. Awesome show. I know Belie must like it as well as Hempburn and I do. We also have been busy the last couple days getting the kiddies the decorations and activities planned for Easter Sunday. I am hoping we don't get the rain they are calling for. It would be nice to have a "Spring" day. We have a plan "B" as always. I remember one Easter in the 70's that it snowed. You know how much fun it is watching those kids Easter Egg hunt.:)

Hello Blue, glad to see you dropped in and let us know you are okay. With the crazy weather I am sure you have seen it all on the roads out there. I hope your Dad is still doing good. Take care and be safe out there.

Where's Nope been? Hello to lala, misty-eyed, so true, and the rest of you.

Welcome to the BIRD thread Anne.

I hope you all have a Wonderful Wednesday!!
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87911 Mar 27, 2013
Sorry I didn't drop in to leave some cheerful videos and you had to look your own up. lol

Here you go. Enjoy!

Compilation of the Funniest Ring Bearers at Weddings

Kids do the funniest things... especially when they are involved in weddings! Watch what these funny little gentlemen did when they were ring bearers, you'll be laughing hard!

http://www.godvine.com/Funniest-Ring-Bearers-...

Kids are so adorable in these roles at weddings.

How to tame an ostrich!

http://msnvideo.msn.com/...

I love this one too, it is adorable from a creature that is scary:

Cute Bear Waves Hello to the Cameraman

In the middle of a beautiful park, a beautiful brown bear waved hello to a cameraman that was passing by. We don't blame this bear for being so happy, if we lived in the middle of God's beautiful creation we would be happy too!

http://www.godvine.com/Cute-Bear-Waves-Hello-...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87912 Mar 27, 2013
Picture Of Pit Bull With Bird On Its Head And Surrounded By Bunnies Goes Viral (PHOTO)

It's no secret that pit bulls get a bad rap. Myths that the dogs have "locking jaws" and always fight to the death are widespread, and studies have shown that the media sensationalize pit bull attacks.

That's probably among the reasons this picture, entitled "Your typical violent and aggressive pit bull," went viral on Reddit over the weekend, garnering nearly 1,500 comments and nearly one million views.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/24/pict...

Too cute. Pit bulls get a bad name due to the fighting their owners promote. With good owners they are great dogs. My brother had one who was a real gem. I believe it is all in how they are raised, but understand the fear people have of them.

Best bag of mulch ever had this tiny baby squirrel inside

This one is crazy, but also cute.

What would you do if you found a squirrel so tiny that it's closer to a fetus than a baby? Would you nurse it back to health, so that it could grow into a strong, adorable squirrel, ready to take on the world and/or all the oak trees in its immediate vicinity? Thankfully, Redditor Nadtacular made that awesome choice after finding a baby squirrel in a bag of mulch — and he has these photos to prove it. It took four weeks for the squirrel, now known as Zip, to just open his eyes, and now, at five weeks, his owner says he's "fully aware and getting playful." Here's to a long life, full of acorns and regular photo updates of this sweet little guy.[Source]

http://now.msn.com/baby-squirrel-found-in-mul...
Anne

United States

#87913 Mar 27, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Good morning birdthreaders,
Welcome to the BIRD thread Anne.
I hope you all have a Wonderful Wednesday!!
Thank you! Thank you very much! Hope your day is great!

While shopping I spotted some shower curtain bird rings. Never thought of this before but A BIRD BATH??!! How cool would that be??!! Lol. Bird threaders with a bird bath (room)!!
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87914 Mar 27, 2013
I don't know if you have heard about all the earthquakes this week. A bunch and close too.

5.8-magnitude earthquake rattles Mexico City

A 5.8 magnitude earthquake struck Oaxaca, Mexico, on Tuesday, causing buildings to sway as far away as Mexico City, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

Oaxaca is about 300 miles from Mexico City, where the tremors set off earthquake alarms, The Associated Press reported.

Staff at the Hotel Palacio Borghese in Oaxaca told NBC News that the quake set off the alarms, but that they did not feel it.

There were minor aftershocks in the city of Pinotepa Nacional on the Pacific Coast, but no reported injuries, Oaxaca Governor Gabino Cue tweeted on Tuesday.

The quake’s epicenter was about 20.5 miles deep, according to the USGS.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/26...

Today-Wednesday

Missouri
Magnitude: 2.3

West Virginia
Magnitude: 2.5

California, Alaska, Washington, Nevada, Utah, and Oregon

Taiwan
Magnitude: 6.1

Tuesday
Guatemala 6.2 mag

Japan, Chile, Argentina, and Tonga had 4.6-4.9 mag
Alaska 4.7 mag (lots of them)

California, Montana, Oregon, Hawaii, and Washington has had many Monday and Tuesday.

Madrid Fault Zone

Tennesee had a 2.0 mag Monday.
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

I never see one listed in West Virginia. But there has been two this week in the Madrid Fault Zone.
Anne

United States

#87915 Mar 27, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. Me too, except that I'm soft in the head. LOL I never followed the crowds, and today, I am better off for doing so.
AMEN to that !!! Wait, wait! Not "amen" to you're "soft in the head " but to being better off to not following the crowds!!!! Lol
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87916 Mar 27, 2013
Interesting. Wonder how many more are "man-made"....HAARP? Fracking?

Scientists: Big Oklahoma quake in 2011 was man-made

The Nov. 6 earthquake that injured two people and damaged 14 homes was caused by injections of wastewater, scientists found.

WASHINGTON — A team of scientists have determined that a 5.6 magnitude quake in Oklahoma in 2011 was caused when oil drilling waste was injected deep underground.

That makes it the most powerful quake to be blamed on deep injections of wastewater, although not everyone agrees. Oklahoma's state seismologists say the quake was natural.

The Nov. 6 earthquake near Prague, Okla., injured two people, damaged 14 houses and was the strongest Midwestern quake in decades.

The new report says there was a smaller quake at the site of an old injection well, and that triggered the larger tremor. Records show the well pressure rising dramatically in 2006. The scientists say both combine to make a strong case that waste injections caused the quake.
The report was released Tuesday by the journal Geology.

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/scient...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87917 Mar 27, 2013
FOR THE BIRDS:

Raptor Resource Project
~ Suspected First Hatch For Decorah Eagles 3/25 (Videos)~

(Click on the words "see more" to read entire post)
Thanks to Jim W., we have footage of what appears to be Mom and Dad Decorah reacting to a possible first hatch yesterday, March 25th. All indications are as such; Mom bringing food to the nest, Mom laying on the nest being rather antsy, Mom bringing in a new branch for an additional rail, and Mom and Dad both taking longer to turn the eggs or move things around in the nest bowl. The videos below are captures Jim got from yesterday, March 25th. We are most anxious for when the eaglets are tall enough to be seen in the nest.:) We don't know how many eggs there were for sure, but we hope Mom laid three again as she has done since 2009.

We really thank Jim, for his time and effort in providing these videos for us!

3/25 Mom moving nest bowl materials around her, mom looking around appearing to be more antsy.
&li st=PLeNR2ocnlCOf7VfTt4i0XlhTh_ ycZh6Ad&index=1

3/25 Dad is on the nest, Mom flies in with a new branch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

3/25 (Slow Motion) Dad is on the nest, Mom lands with some prey.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87919 Mar 27, 2013
DIY ant control.(Those little piss ants drive me crazy in the Spring, although I have a friend that has those huge one's you could almost strap a saddle to, hahaha)

Get Rid of Ants Solution

This is a recipe for getting rid of those pesky ants that come every spring and summer. Mix up the solution, pack cotton balls in a jar cover, put the solution on and they will be gone.

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons boric acid [purchase here: http://amzn.to/11nzGz6 ]
3 cups warm water

Directions:
1. Mix the sugar and boric acid well.
2. Add the warm water slowly, mixing all the while so it won't be too lumpy.
3. Store in a jar until ready to use.
4. When ready to use, put cotton into the top of a jar lid to fill it and then saturate the cotton to the top.
5. Place it in the location where it is needed.
6. Note: This solution will keep for a long while.

A good technique is to drip a drop or two over the edge of the lid to rest on the counter so the ants will find the solution sooner. It sometimes takes a little while for them to find it, but find it they will. When they do, do not disturb them as they drink. They will hang over the edge of the lid and drink for a while and then take it back to the nest killing the colony. Almost overnight they will be gone.

http://bit.ly/AByoPA
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87920 Mar 27, 2013
Buying Gas The Smart Way.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

I received this a couple years ago and it showed up again in my email so I thought I would pass it along in case you have not seen this and want to get the most gas for your money like we all do. Ours is still hovering around 3.50 gal. Not bad compared to other places. California for instance.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87921 Mar 27, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! Thank you very much! Hope your day is great!
While shopping I spotted some shower curtain bird rings. Never thought of this before but A BIRD BATH??!! How cool would that be??!! Lol. Bird threaders with a bird bath (room)!!
:) Thank you
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#87922 Mar 27, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
FOR THE BIRDS:
Raptor Resource Project
~ Suspected First Hatch For Decorah Eagles 3/25 (Videos)~
(Click on the words "see more" to read entire post)
Thanks to Jim W., we have footage of what appears to be Mom and Dad Decorah reacting to a possible first hatch yesterday, March 25th. All indications are as such; Mom bringing food to the nest, Mom laying on the nest being rather antsy, Mom bringing in a new branch for an additional rail, and Mom and Dad both taking longer to turn the eggs or move things around in the nest bowl. The videos below are captures Jim got from yesterday, March 25th. We are most anxious for when the eaglets are tall enough to be seen in the nest.:) We don't know how many eggs there were for sure, but we hope Mom laid three again as she has done since 2009.
We really thank Jim, for his time and effort in providing these videos for us!
3/25 Mom moving nest bowl materials around her, mom looking around appearing to be more antsy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7Fu7-2xmV2MXX&list=PLeNR2 ocnlCOf7VfTt4i0XlhTh_ycZh6Ad &index=1
3/25 Dad is on the nest, Mom flies in with a new branch.
3/25 (Slow Motion) Dad is on the nest, Mom lands with some prey.
Thats Funny ! Seems like 'DAD' is either lazy , or a stay-at-home Dad just lounging around the nest, or maybe he's just a little 'Hen-Pecked'...heehee!
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87923 Mar 27, 2013
Rapidfire wrote:
<quoted text> Thats Funny ! Seems like 'DAD' is either lazy , or a stay-at-home Dad just lounging around the nest, or maybe he's just a little 'Hen-Pecked'...heehee!
I have been watching them for a couple years and think people could learn from them. It really is a joint effort for them to scout the nest, build it,(if they don't use one already used before), they both incubate the eggs, hunt for food, etc...It is a joy to watch these magnificient birds up close. Last year I watched them raise 3, unfortunately one was killed in high wires, but the other two are surviving well. They track them and we get to see them in their adult glory. Hope to see them mating and part of the program soon.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87924 Mar 27, 2013
Just seen this on the midday news:

Strong quake kills one, injures 19 in Taiwan

A strong earthquake killed one person and injured 19 others in Taiwan on Wednesday as violent shock waves damaged buildings and triggered a blaze, emergency officials said.

The US Geological Survey measured the quake at magnitude 6.0 and said it struck at 10:03 am (0203 GMT), 48 kilometres (30 miles) east of Nantou county in central Taiwan at a depth of 20.7 kilometres.

Taiwan's central weather bureau put the magnitude at 6.1, saying it was the largest quake this year and was felt across the island. Five aftershocks measured from 3.7-4.3 in magnitude occurred in two hours after the main tremor, it said.

The national fire agency said a 72-year-old woman at a temple in Nantou was struck by a wall that crumbled during the quake and died on the spot.

Nineteen others were slightly injured in the same county and the nearby Changhua and Taichung counties.

The quake also triggered a fire in a house in Nantou that injured one person and had since been extinguished, it said.

The agency received five reports of people trapped in lifts during the quake but all found their way to safety.

Cable news channel SET TV showed footage of one woman in Nantou being carried to an ambulance after she was hit in the head by fragments of a ceiling that came loose during the quake.

"I was scared and nervous as the quake reminded me of the deadly September 21 earthquake in 1999, and luckily this one stopped quickly," said Chen Shao-sheng, who works for private Show Chwan hospital in Nantou.

More than 80 people in the hospital's lobby at the time of the quake all rushed out of the building as the contents of cabinets fell out, Chen told AFP.

Nantou county was the epicentre of a 7.6-magnitude quake in September 21, 1999 that killed around 2,400 people in the deadliest natural disaster in the island's recent history.

Taiwan's high speed rail company suspended all trains for more than four hours for safety checks after the quake while the metro system in the capital Taipei was also temporarily suspended.

Many buildings in Taipei swayed while television footage showed some school children in Nantou fleeing their classrooms during the quake as well as supermarket staff cleaned up contents fell from sales racks.

Taiwan lies near the junction of two tectonic plates and is regularly hit by earthquakes.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/strong-quake-injures...

Happy if we have to have any in our Madrid Fault Zone they are 1.+ or 2.+ mag.(For now, lol)
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87925 Mar 27, 2013
I was hoping to see a few of you here. I have lousy timing. I am off to have lunch with my sisters and go Wally Worlding for more Easter stuff and we should be done with the Easter festivities for the kids. Then it is on to the menu and goodies we all contribute. Should be a Happy Easter this year. Last year was the first without Mom and it was low key. She loved Easter.

Have a great day. I will check in later tonight and hopefully catch some of you. Meanwhile, I left you something to read.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ben Kemble 4 hr Justin 4
Cardinals Basketball 12 hr ForumCommando 2
Grade lane hit and run (Travis Christy)This is ... (Nov '12) 14 hr defeated 130
best night spot to meet thirty something ladie... Wed ForumCommando 2
Why did Wave 3 Kevin & Carrie harned get divorce? (Aug '13) Wed luvthemkats1 38
mari stuart Wed cali 1
wiliam brewer aka disco Nov 25 sarah 2
Carla Rushing Aka The pornstar Cody lane Living... (Nov '11) Nov 17 Vinohutch20 259
Louisville Dating
Find my Match

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Louisville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Louisville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:53 am PST

Bleacher Report11:53AM
Betting Odds, Prediction for Bengals vs. Bucs
Bleacher Report12:04 PM
Complete Preview for Bucs vs. Bengals
NBC Sports 1:11 PM
Griffin addresses media, says he's here to help the team win
Bleacher Report 2:19 PM
Robert Griffin III Comments on Being Benched by Redskins HC Jay Gruden
Bleacher Report 4:00 PM
Breaking Down What Colt McCoy Brings to the Washington Offense in Place of RGIII