Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
74,021 - 74,040 of 81,570 Comments Last updated 46 min ago
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Good Morning wrote:
<quoted text>
I missed the ice box era and I'm not unhappy about that. Lol. The GOOD OLE DAYS was that as kids we could SAFELY roam the woods for hours, coming home about supper time! But we did have an outhouse and we did have "Betsy" our milk cow until they decided getting up early to milk, buying the feed and the general aggravation wasnt worth it! We had several pigs. Later dad had a Hereford herd. Early on we raised broiler chickens--not the 30.000 or 40,000 they do now, but 4-5000. On a Saturday before they were taken to market we killed and cleaned enough chickens to last till the next flock was grown. We always had phones (party line of 8!) and electricity. We just built a house on my family's property. My great grandfather even lived here but he was living with my grandparents at that time. I still have my grandpas 8N tractor, bought new in 1952--my birth year. Whoops! TMI. I'll shut up now... Lol
I figured I was from a different time frame, not much but different. We called our old cow "Bossy" because if you were not careful she would kick you off the stool or knock over that precious milk bucket. LOL We also raised frying chickens but ate them fresh due to no electric and dad even sold some at his work for extra money. We never had a phone either until about time I graduated from High School and they moved into town and even had a TV. lol Most town kids wanted to be out running around. But since TV was so new for us, I was content to stay home and watch Gunsmoke and Ed Sullivan with Topo Gigo. LOL
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

I see that my last post got judged with an Incendiary ! funny thing , my igniter just went out on my gas furnace a few minutes ago. maybe I can use my last post to light my furnace ! hahaha! just kidd'n , already got a fire going in the ole wood stove. Hope obama don't make me pay carbon tax on that woodsmoke ! heehee !
hey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks for the info.and the fan.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Oh what a long night. I have been sick since I got home yesterday. Still feeling awful, but headed to work. This is going to be fun...NOT!
Oh, so sorry for you...and you do not sleep well as it is. I remember many times going into work feeling sick, and it is certainly not pleasant. Hope you feel better. Huggs to you.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Good Morning wrote:
<quoted text>
I missed the ice box era and I'm not unhappy about that. Lol. The GOOD OLE DAYS was that as kids we could SAFELY roam the woods for hours, coming home about supper time! But we did have an outhouse and we did have "Betsy" our milk cow until they decided getting up early to milk, buying the feed and the general aggravation wasnt worth it! We had several pigs. Later dad had a Hereford herd. Early on we raised broiler chickens--not the 30.000 or 40,000 they do now, but 4-5000. On a Saturday before they were taken to market we killed and cleaned enough chickens to last till the next flock was grown. We always had phones (party line of 8!) and electricity. We just built a house on my family's property. My great grandfather even lived here but he was living with my grandparents at that time. I still have my grandpas 8N tractor, bought new in 1952--my birth year. Whoops! TMI. I'll shut up now... Lol
We had an 8N tractor left to us by the previous occupants of the farm. It needed a lot of work so my neighbor and his son set about getting it running. Then we bought tires. The neighbors painted it cherry red, and I'll admit, it looked good. However, it did not really suit our purposes, so we bought a new compact tractor with a bucket, grader,and bush hog. I always fussed at hubby for getting on that 8N tricycle because it did not look too stable bush hogging one of the hills. So after we bought the new tractor, our neighbor kept asking to borrow our old one. Since he did most of the work restoring it and would not take money, except for parts, we gave him the tractor. That was about 10 years ago, and the old girl is still running fine, and doing some of the neighbor's work.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Rapidfire wrote:
<quoted text> God makes It to rain on the just and the unjust; So as it would be for the poor working class citizens or the filthy-rich. when the poopy DOES hit the platter, and the electric does go off, What will the blooming Idiot Bloomgerg do with his twenty seven billion dollars ? his assets will be frozen just as everyone elses. hopefully he will be out on the streets begging for crumbs as we are. He for sure won't be dictating anyones life, telling them how much soda they can consume or how many french fries they can eat. What an IDIOT ! If he can donate twelve million dollars of his own money to try and ban guns, then he can afford to pay twelve more million in taxes...Feed the hungry ? Myself, I will be chowing down on the good garden food that i've preserved and protecting it from the likes of him with my guns and/or assault weapons as they call them. I will eat and drink as much as i want till my belly is full, then if there's no running water, I will go out in the back yard and take a good POOP ! haha! HE and all the others like him can hang out down on wall street and eat 'THE BIG ROTTEN APPLE' who do they think they're fool'n ?
Hehe. You have a way with words. I totally agree with you;) I have to get me a garden going.I used an outhouse; I got water from a well and spring. Life can be good without a lot of money. It's the mindset. Money doesn't buy love nor can one live on love alone. Determination and the willpower to live and love well that's easier if you know how to survive hard times. Well put, Rapidfire;)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Rapidfire wrote:
I see that my last post got judged with an Incendiary ! funny thing , my igniter just went out on my gas furnace a few minutes ago. maybe I can use my last post to light my furnace ! hahaha! just kidd'n , already got a fire going in the ole wood stove. Hope obama don't make me pay carbon tax on that woodsmoke ! heehee !
I see you care about as much as I do about those silly Judge-it icons. LOL Crank that woodburner and send the smoke toward D.C. They can use some to go with their mirrors. LOL They have about run out of dog and ponies.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Rapidfire wrote:
It, could happen...sh....Don't say it too loud; Big Brother might hear you. LOL
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Rapidfire wrote:
Where there's fire often smoke...Hehe. You said nothing bad only the truth. I've been feeling kinda mad lately. Haven't been able to get glad yet! AB's videos help a little. Still doesn't answer some questions going on in my head. Have a nice day:)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Partner delivering in Paducah today. Can't really understand that man? He gets me riled by saying the darnedest things. Oh well. The rain and light snow coming down here. Birds are chirping though. Am looking forward to the better weather. Seeds in cups in the windows. Hopefully, they do well. Got some basil started. All we can do is take each day as a blessing and be appreciative of all we do have. It could be worse. Blessings to all. Especially OJG haven't heard about her Dad. Blessings and thoughts be with her. You good Folks have a pleasant afternoon. I have a lot to do:)

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
Partner delivering in Paducah today. Can't really understand that man? He gets me riled by saying the darnedest things. Oh well. The rain and light snow coming down here. Birds are chirping though. Am looking forward to the better weather. Seeds in cups in the windows. Hopefully, they do well. Got some basil started. All we can do is take each day as a blessing and be appreciative of all we do have. It could be worse. Blessings to all. Especially OJG haven't heard about her Dad. Blessings and thoughts be with her. You good Folks have a pleasant afternoon. I have a lot to do:)
Ah, cut Partner a break. They all say the darned silly things from time to time. Don't sweat the small stuff, and you will find that you will be happier for it. It took me a long, long, long time to finally get this idea through my thick skull. Life went smoother once I did. Consider this, you cannot control another's behavior, only your own. Sometimes, a person's reaction to a problem determines the size of the problem, to begin with . Think about it.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, cut Partner a break. They all say the darned silly things from time to time. Don't sweat the small stuff, and you will find that you will be happier for it. It took me a long, long, long time to finally get this idea through my thick skull. Life went smoother once I did. Consider this, you cannot control another's behavior, only your own. Sometimes, a person's reaction to a problem determines the size of the problem, to begin with . Think about it.
Thank you, your words really do help me. I do agree, don't sweat the small stuff. and I'll take your advice because you have a long relationship;) and such a caring man. I kind of compare partner to a goat. Hehe. He blames my behavior on the hormones and says I'm a " challenge." Wonder if it could be that " thick skull" you're referring. LOL. You have a good one. I have to go until later. Bless you:)
Good morning

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
We've just got to grow more veggies and fruit, raise chickens, cows for milk and meat, etc. Rural people have it over on the city folks, but those city folks will try to get ours when they run out. I do not worry. Let's say that I just try to be proactive. I do feel sad for the little kids growing up now. They will never have it as good as we did.
We just moved here a few years ago and haven't put out that first garden but I do believe this will be the summer to start a few chickens! Maybe some of those "Easter egg " chickens! I think that'll be fun for the kids and will still fill the egg tray. I don't even have a chicken coop so I'm starting from scratch! I need to get a rhubarb and asparagus patch started! Maybe a couple apple trees? Ah, my fantasy life!!!!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with this. After 41 years, my partner died and it was only then that I realized that all that small stuff that we each sweated over for all those years did not amount to a hill of beans It would be good to have some small stuff to fret about again. Song for the Day...

Vern Gosden... Written in Stone.
So I brought some pretty flowers
Hoping you would understand
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

sorry, the song is

Vern Gosdin... Chiseled in Stone
So true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Great song,, by one of a kind singer..
So true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Many songs touch our hearts and bring fond memories to our minds.. That is the joy of music..
Good morning

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with this. After 41 years, my partner died and it was only then that I realized that all that small stuff that we each sweated over for all those years did not amount to a hill of beans It would be good to have some small stuff to fret about again. Song for the Day...
Vern Gosden... Written in Stone.
So I brought some pretty flowers
Hoping you would understand
Sorry about your loss. We're hitting 42 years this year and I'm doing better not sweating the small stuff as much as I used to. It's a more of a live and let live thing....mostly. Then there are times though when .....well, you know ! Lol I guess the way to handle it is just to see the humor in it as in " wow , that time we got so mad because I wanted to paint the room blue and (she) wanted it green. We didnt speak for 2 days! That was crazy silly!" Lol hmmm. I'm not there yet with our small stuff.... Lol
one

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

mvkmv

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Crap!! It snowed all day! I need my Spring.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

53 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Growing up at St .Thomas St .Vincent Orphanage ? (Sep '10) 54 min cynthia boling 72
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr cathyjudy 26,185
Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 7 hr shew 1,014
Which innocent LMPD slain is most despicable? (Nov '13) 10 hr Fritz 16
Cindy Cummings (Jun '12) 11 hr Fired 47
Crack is Whack 12 hr LouisvilleKYreport 1
Shot fired during McDonald's robbery on Preston... 13 hr LouisvilleKYreport 10
•••
•••
•••
•••

Louisville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000