Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,722

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#87793 Mar 24, 2013
Good night, my fine feathered friends. May you all have pleasant dreams and awaken refreshed, to a new day filled with our Creator's gifts. Will talk tomorrow, Lord willing. Lala
Tollesboro Guy

Versailles, KY

#87794 Mar 24, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
We've just got to grow more veggies and fruit, raise chickens, cows for milk and meat, etc. Rural people have it over on the city folks, but those city folks will try to get ours when they run out. I do not worry. Let's say that I just try to be proactive. I do feel sad for the little kids growing up now. They will never have it as good as we did.
Can you believe the cereal boxes? Smaller and smaller, less cereal in them. Higher priced. The wife like Corn Pops (used to be called Sugar Pops but we can't have that now can we/)and they are now $5.89 in Ron's IGA and oddly, Dollar General has fewer and fewer deliveries of cereal. No Corn Pops for months. Diet Coke Zero is sometimes 3 for $10 but usually over $4.80 per 12 pack!

Snickers Almond and Snickers Peanut Butter squares are so small but the packaging is the same size. At Dollar General those are .75 cents but at Road Ranger across the street they are $1.25. A 14 oz Coke in the plastic bottle is $1.89!! Diesel at $4 per gallon costs me $160 to fill up my F350 Super Duty. Gas at $3.75 is only $75 (20 gallon tank versus 40) for my Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. So $235 every week for two vehicles? Crazy.

I make OK money but what are people doing that make $10-$15 per hour?$600 a week for groceries,gas,electricity,wate r,TV,telephone, mortgage and internet for most of us. It scares me....

It's not over. Obama has a carbon tax coming that will drive up the price of fuel even higher plus electricity. We may all have to get together to share to live.

My 100'x100' garden in tilled, finally got a few days of dry this week. Lot's of planting to do! We'll see but I'm not sleeping as well as I used to.:-)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87795 Mar 25, 2013
5am and my world is white. Been too muddy to plow here for a month or more. Costs nearly a $1000 for my son to fill up the Kenworth and my poor old pickup truck has not seen a full tank in nearly 2 years.

I wish I made $10 an hour but nobody needs an old man to work so I just work on my own stuff and raise chickens for a little extra egg money and help other old folks with their projects and trade eggs and work for meals. I do get some good pies and cakes. LOL I

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87796 Mar 25, 2013
Oh what a long night. I have been sick since I got home yesterday. Still feeling awful, but headed to work. This is going to be fun...NOT!

Level 1

Location hidden

#87798 Mar 25, 2013
Tollesboro Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you believe the cereal boxes? Smaller and smaller, less cereal in them. Higher priced. The wife like Corn Pops (used to be called Sugar Pops but we can't have that now can we/)and they are now $5.89 in Ron's IGA and oddly, Dollar General has fewer and fewer deliveries of cereal. No Corn Pops for months. Diet Coke Zero is sometimes 3 for $10 but usually over $4.80 per 12 pack!
Snickers Almond and Snickers Peanut Butter squares are so small but the packaging is the same size. At Dollar General those are .75 cents but at Road Ranger across the street they are $1.25. A 14 oz Coke in the plastic bottle is $1.89!! Diesel at $4 per gallon costs me $160 to fill up my F350 Super Duty. Gas at $3.75 is only $75 (20 gallon tank versus 40) for my Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. So $235 every week for two vehicles? Crazy.
I make OK money but what are people doing that make $10-$15 per hour?$600 a week for groceries,gas,electricity,wate r,TV,telephone, mortgage and internet for most of us. It scares me....
It's not over. Obama has a carbon tax coming that will drive up the price of fuel even higher plus electricity. We may all have to get together to share to live.
My 100'x100' garden in tilled, finally got a few days of dry this week. Lot's of planting to do! We'll see but I'm not sleeping as well as I used to.:-)
Oh, I have seen all that you describe, and you're right! Just wait until we feel the effects of the carbon tax. Everything has gone up. Just insuring my property is becoming exhorbitant, and it may price me right out of where I love to live. I am down from 6 horses to one horse and our pony. I just about gave away two blue-blooded Tennessee walkers, just so that I knew they would be used kindly. Bales of hay and bags of grain just got way too high.
Good Morning

United States

#87799 Mar 25, 2013
It's 8 EST here and from the looks of it outside the snow all but passed us by!!! Yay! There's a little on the cars and even less showing on the ground!!*happy dance*.
Over the weekend I did purchase a couple of simple bird feeders and today I will head for the farm store to find some bird feed! I'll definitely have all the supplies ready before the g'kids get back from spring break so they can help set everything up!

Fuel prices going higher? Ouch! I run up and down the road a lot so this is not good! My mom only went to town once a week for shopping and I go at least once a day. Hmmm, I do remember dad stopping at the store on the way home from work every day to pick up a gallon of milk for our family of 5. 7 gallons of milk a week and 1 carton of *cokes*. Now it's a gallon of milk a week just for me and several fast food drive thru *cokes*.:-(

Level 1

Location hidden

#87800 Mar 25, 2013
Good morning, my fine feathered friends. Looks like cold wind will dominate the day, but thank-goodness we only got a coating of snow. Plenty of birds to wake me up EARLY this morning. Their tweets, yacks, and caws work better than an alarm clock. The only problem is that I can't set their time.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87801 Mar 25, 2013
@Good Morning.. I obviously came from a different time frame or area. We went to the barn twice a day to milk the cow to feed 5 kids plus the parents and grandma that all lived in a 4 room cottage. I remember getting a coke at about age 7, took one sip and the foam went up my nose and I dropped and broke the bottle. I think I got another one around age 14 and that is also when I learned about potato chips and got to sleep in a real bed.

Dad only had one old car that he drove daily to work and brought home blocks of ice about twice a week to keep in the ice box on the back porch since we had no electricity. Water came from an ever running spring or a rain barrel. Outhouse was up the hill and quite cold and snowy sometimes to get there, the other times it was full of wasps and other critters.

On Saturday nights, he would take the battery off that old car and attach it to the old radio so we could actually hear the Grand Ole Opry in the house and also listen to a couple of other programs. He would roll start that old car off the hill on Sunday mornings so as to go to Church.

So no matter what the prices of those things we require now-a-days, life is much better than those NOT so "GOOD OLD DAYS" we are all blessed. But we were much happier and content back then just because we did not know any better.
remington rand paul

AOL

#87802 Mar 25, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Good Morning.. I obviously came from a different time frame or area. We went to the barn twice a day to milk the cow to feed 5 kids plus the parents and grandma that all lived in a 4 room cottage. I remember getting a coke at about age 7, took one sip and the foam went up my nose and I dropped and broke the bottle. I think I got another one around age 14 and that is also when I learned about potato chips and got to sleep in a real bed.
Dad only had one old car that he drove daily to work and brought home blocks of ice about twice a week to keep in the ice box on the back porch since we had no electricity. Water came from an ever running spring or a rain barrel. Outhouse was up the hill and quite cold and snowy sometimes to get there, the other times it was full of wasps and other critters.
On Saturday nights, he would take the battery off that old car and attach it to the old radio so we could actually hear the Grand Ole Opry in the house and also listen to a couple of other programs. He would roll start that old car off the hill on Sunday mornings so as to go to Church.
So no matter what the prices of those things we require now-a-days, life is much better than those NOT so "GOOD OLD DAYS" we are all blessed. But we were much happier and content back then just because we did not know any better.
people in this country today are soft and pampered ,..
can you imagine kids today using an out house ,..living with out electricity for even 1 day ?
if any real hard times came along ,...most Americans would probably die off ,..
the men of todays progressive America are effeminate and weak
Good Morning

United States

#87803 Mar 25, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I missed the ice box era and I'm not unhappy about that. Lol. The GOOD OLE DAYS was that as kids we could SAFELY roam the woods for hours, coming home about supper time! But we did have an outhouse and we did have "Betsy" our milk cow until they decided getting up early to milk, buying the feed and the general aggravation wasnt worth it! We had several pigs. Later dad had a Hereford herd. Early on we raised broiler chickens--not the 30.000 or 40,000 they do now, but 4-5000. On a Saturday before they were taken to market we killed and cleaned enough chickens to last till the next flock was grown. We always had phones (party line of 8!) and electricity. We just built a house on my family's property. My great grandfather even lived here but he was living with my grandparents at that time. I still have my grandpas 8N tractor, bought new in 1952--my birth year. Whoops! TMI. I'll shut up now... Lol
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#87804 Mar 25, 2013
remington rand paul wrote:
<quoted text>people in this country today are soft and pampered ,..
can you imagine kids today using an out house ,..living with out electricity for even 1 day ?
if any real hard times came along ,...most Americans would probably die off ,..
the men of todays progressive America are effeminate and weak
God makes It to rain on the just and the unjust; So as it would be for the poor working class citizens or the filthy-rich. when the poopy DOES hit the platter, and the electric does go off, What will the blooming Idiot Bloomgerg do with his twenty seven billion dollars ? his assets will be frozen just as everyone elses. hopefully he will be out on the streets begging for crumbs as we are. He for sure won't be dictating anyones life, telling them how much soda they can consume or how many french fries they can eat. What an IDIOT ! If he can donate twelve million dollars of his own money to try and ban guns, then he can afford to pay twelve more million in taxes...Feed the hungry ? Myself, I will be chowing down on the good garden food that i've preserved and protecting it from the likes of him with my guns and/or assault weapons as they call them. I will eat and drink as much as i want till my belly is full, then if there's no running water, I will go out in the back yard and take a good POOP ! haha! HE and all the others like him can hang out down on wall street and eat 'THE BIG ROTTEN APPLE' who do they think they're fool'n ?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87805 Mar 25, 2013
Good Morning wrote:
<quoted text>
I missed the ice box era and I'm not unhappy about that. Lol. The GOOD OLE DAYS was that as kids we could SAFELY roam the woods for hours, coming home about supper time! But we did have an outhouse and we did have "Betsy" our milk cow until they decided getting up early to milk, buying the feed and the general aggravation wasnt worth it! We had several pigs. Later dad had a Hereford herd. Early on we raised broiler chickens--not the 30.000 or 40,000 they do now, but 4-5000. On a Saturday before they were taken to market we killed and cleaned enough chickens to last till the next flock was grown. We always had phones (party line of 8!) and electricity. We just built a house on my family's property. My great grandfather even lived here but he was living with my grandparents at that time. I still have my grandpas 8N tractor, bought new in 1952--my birth year. Whoops! TMI. I'll shut up now... Lol
I figured I was from a different time frame, not much but different. We called our old cow "Bossy" because if you were not careful she would kick you off the stool or knock over that precious milk bucket. LOL We also raised frying chickens but ate them fresh due to no electric and dad even sold some at his work for extra money. We never had a phone either until about time I graduated from High School and they moved into town and even had a TV. lol Most town kids wanted to be out running around. But since TV was so new for us, I was content to stay home and watch Gunsmoke and Ed Sullivan with Topo Gigo. LOL
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#87807 Mar 25, 2013
I see that my last post got judged with an Incendiary ! funny thing , my igniter just went out on my gas furnace a few minutes ago. maybe I can use my last post to light my furnace ! hahaha! just kidd'n , already got a fire going in the ole wood stove. Hope obama don't make me pay carbon tax on that woodsmoke ! heehee !
hey

United States

#87808 Mar 25, 2013
Thanks for the info.and the fan.

Level 1

Location hidden

#87809 Mar 25, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Oh what a long night. I have been sick since I got home yesterday. Still feeling awful, but headed to work. This is going to be fun...NOT!
Oh, so sorry for you...and you do not sleep well as it is. I remember many times going into work feeling sick, and it is certainly not pleasant. Hope you feel better. Huggs to you.

Level 1

Location hidden

#87810 Mar 25, 2013
Good Morning wrote:
<quoted text>
We had an 8N tractor left to us by the previous occupants of the farm. It needed a lot of work so my neighbor and his son set about getting it running. Then we bought tires. The neighbors painted it cherry red, and I'll admit, it looked good. However, it did not really suit our purposes, so we bought a new compact tractor with a bucket, grader,and bush hog. I always fussed at hubby for getting on that 8N tricycle because it did not look too stable bush hogging one of the hills. So after we bought the new tractor, our neighbor kept asking to borrow our old one. Since he did most of the work restoring it and would not take money, except for parts, we gave him the tractor. That was about 10 years ago, and the old girl is still running fine, and doing some of the neighbor's work.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87811 Mar 25, 2013
Rapidfire wrote:
<quoted text> God makes It to rain on the just and the unjust; So as it would be for the poor working class citizens or the filthy-rich. when the poopy DOES hit the platter, and the electric does go off, What will the blooming Idiot Bloomgerg do with his twenty seven billion dollars ? his assets will be frozen just as everyone elses. hopefully he will be out on the streets begging for crumbs as we are. He for sure won't be dictating anyones life, telling them how much soda they can consume or how many french fries they can eat. What an IDIOT ! If he can donate twelve million dollars of his own money to try and ban guns, then he can afford to pay twelve more million in taxes...Feed the hungry ? Myself, I will be chowing down on the good garden food that i've preserved and protecting it from the likes of him with my guns and/or assault weapons as they call them. I will eat and drink as much as i want till my belly is full, then if there's no running water, I will go out in the back yard and take a good POOP ! haha! HE and all the others like him can hang out down on wall street and eat 'THE BIG ROTTEN APPLE' who do they think they're fool'n ?
Hehe. You have a way with words. I totally agree with you;) I have to get me a garden going.I used an outhouse; I got water from a well and spring. Life can be good without a lot of money. It's the mindset. Money doesn't buy love nor can one live on love alone. Determination and the willpower to live and love well that's easier if you know how to survive hard times. Well put, Rapidfire;)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87812 Mar 25, 2013
Rapidfire wrote:
I see that my last post got judged with an Incendiary ! funny thing , my igniter just went out on my gas furnace a few minutes ago. maybe I can use my last post to light my furnace ! hahaha! just kidd'n , already got a fire going in the ole wood stove. Hope obama don't make me pay carbon tax on that woodsmoke ! heehee !
I see you care about as much as I do about those silly Judge-it icons. LOL Crank that woodburner and send the smoke toward D.C. They can use some to go with their mirrors. LOL They have about run out of dog and ponies.

Level 1

Location hidden

#87813 Mar 25, 2013
Rapidfire wrote:
It, could happen...sh....Don't say it too loud; Big Brother might hear you. LOL
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87814 Mar 25, 2013
Rapidfire wrote:
Where there's fire often smoke...Hehe. You said nothing bad only the truth. I've been feeling kinda mad lately. Haven't been able to get glad yet! AB's videos help a little. Still doesn't answer some questions going on in my head. Have a nice day:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) 2 hr ktp girl 64
the christmas carol at actors theatre 6 hr theater goer 2
door to door meat sales (Jan '13) 12 hr Angel 55
Carla Rushing Aka The pornstar Cody lane Living... (Nov '11) 13 hr The real cody lane 260
KFC yum! center 18 hr ForumCommando 24
Review: Pettit Environmental 18 hr Angry Customer 1
In Search Of "Just Because" a Louisville underg... 19 hr In Search Of 1
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Louisville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Louisville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:10 am PST

NBC Sports10:10AM
Why does Cincinnati shrink in the spotlight?
NBC Sports10:31 AM
Cowboys' collapse never occurred
Bleacher Report 1:31 PM
Allen (Knee) to Get MRI; Considered Day-to-Day
Bleacher Report 3:26 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals: Live Score and Analysis for Denver
Bleacher Report 3:56 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals: Live Score, Highlights and Analysis