Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
73,901 - 73,920 of 81,566 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

@ Good Morning... Google says the pileated woodpecker subsists on insects, especially carpenter ants, and wood boring larvae. Sometimes on fruits, nuts, and berries including poison ivy berries and are rarely attracted to feeders. I guess if you don't want ants and poison ivy, you best just go out into the forest to watch them LOL

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Thanks for all the corn advice, AW. I'll definitely take your pointers and put them to use this year. Particularly the sprouting first idea. I like that one!

Betty, if you're able to find out what kind of 'maters those were, please share. For now I think I'm just going to purchase a couple plants of both 'orange', varieties that I mentioned I had found on Ebay and hope for the best. If they end up being good I'll set some seed back for next year too. Of course I still have the seedlings that I put in yogurt cups over a month ago. They're ready to go out as soon as mother nature gets her head on straight.

I love 'maters, and there's really no 'bad" 'maters in my opinion. Even the ones with too thick of a skin can be blanched, peeled and cooked. They're still are quite good. Some 'maters are just more tasty and juicy than others, particularly if you like them raw like I do, LOL! Those orange ones where something else though, weren't they??

I've got a lot to do today. I'm getting things ready for my new critter kids arrival. Bless it's little heart, I can't wait. I hope it loves 'excess attention'.... That's just the way I roll around here. None of my current critter kids seem to have minded it so far. Not even the chickens..

I can't believe how cold it still is this morning. Again, the water bowl for the chickens was almost frozen solid early this morning. I have a chunk of ice in the kitchen sink now, melting away.

Talk to you all later today I'm sure!!
Good morning

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
@ Good Morning... Google says the pileated woodpecker subsists on insects, especially carpenter ants, and wood boring larvae. Sometimes on fruits, nuts, and berries including poison ivy berries and are rarely attracted to feeders. I guess if you don't want ants and poison ivy, you best just go out into the forest to watch them LOL
Lol! They should love my place! Too much poison ivy around here! Thanks for taking time for me! If none of you have personal experience with these birds then I guess it's rare indeed!!
roamingalcoholic

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

there's nothing wrong with feeding the local critters when they get hungry ,...

my benevolence goes back many generations now --

when they see me ,they come running up,..

they are smart enough to discriminate and avoid the mean ole neighbors and their silly trio of little obnoxious & vicious K9s

the little birds will sit on the step and wait ,... almost demanding their daily bread ration ,...
but in my heart ,...
i know they are grateful ,

on a good day ,...
i can almost intercept their telepathic message of " thank you ",...
as they fly away , off to feed their growing brood ,tucked safely away in the nearby woods

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

I'm sorry, "Good morning". I didn't mean to ignore you, but I personally have no idea how to attract woodpeckers. I just have the one who's decided it likes to eat with the chickens and squirrels. Not to mention that I already live in the woods, so they're all around me here as it is. I see Palliated woodpeckers frequently. I've not seen the one who came to eat with the chickens in two days now though. Perhaps it was just passing through? I don't know for sure. I wish it would come back though..

Have a great day! Hope you find some answers.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

roamingalcoholic wrote:
there's nothing wrong with feeding the local critters when they get hungry ,...
my benevolence goes back many generations now --
when they see me ,they come running up,..
they are smart enough to discriminate and avoid the mean ole neighbors and their silly trio of little obnoxious & vicious K9s
the little birds will sit on the step and wait ,... almost demanding their daily bread ration ,...
but in my heart ,...
i know they are grateful ,
on a good day ,...
i can almost intercept their telepathic message of " thank you ",...
as they fly away , off to feed their growing brood ,tucked safely away in the nearby woods
I agree with you. My chickens free range part of the day and usually like to hang out up at the top of the hill next to a wooded area. When they spot me coming out the back door, here they all come running and flying over the hill and I feel guilty if I don't have some treat for them. When I do go out with some feed or water, they run over again and track along behind me like the Pied Piper until I get back up the hill to the chicken house. I can't hardly walk for them. I feed the birds the table scraps and such and I plant enough corn for me and the critters and what they mess over gets shaved off and spread around for any animal or bird that wants a tasty treat. I just don't put out bird feeders, I spread enough around anyways to keep them all happy.
roamingalcoholic

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

if you dont think ,...
it doesn't matter IF you are a genius or a moron ,..

Level 1

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Birds are the organic gardenerís best friend.
Good morning

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I'm sorry, "Good morning". I didn't mean to ignore you, but I personally have no idea how to attract woodpeckers. I just have the one who's decided it likes to eat with the chickens and squirrels. Not to mention that I already live in the woods, so they're all around me here as it is. I see Palliated woodpeckers frequently. I've not seen the one who came to eat with the chickens in two days now though. Perhaps it was just passing through? I don't know for sure. I wish it would come back though..
Have a great day! Hope you find some answers.
I guess trial and error is how I will go then!
My grandson would love for us to get some chickens. He saw the Amish boy carry a hat full of eggs from Their chicken house and has wanted to be like that ever since!
roamingalcoholic

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

many woodpeckers are only passing through ,on their long trip up north ,....
some species actually spend the winter in Costa Rica ,... and fly to Canada for the summer
but if you insist ,...
you will need to prop up a few - bug infested tress ,..
they dont like downed tress ,... but you can try starting with a small stack of old logs ,..

and they dont like neighborhood cats ,...
if there are strays nearby ,..the birds will be scarce
whitehair

Eminence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Ths morning I found a very small birds nest on the ground under my front yard trees.It was about 2 inches in diameter,inside,the bottom was grey fuzz,and the sides twigs.Altogether it was only about 3 inches across.Very small.Any one know what bird would be so small?And isn`t it too early for birds nests?I have been trying to attract humming birds without much success,
Really

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

roamingalcoholic wrote:
many woodpeckers are only passing through ,on their long trip up north ,....
some species actually spend the winter in Costa Rica ,... and fly to Canada for the summer
but if you insist ,...
you will need to prop up a few - bug infested tress ,..
they dont like downed tress ,... but you can try starting with a small stack of old logs ,..
and they dont like neighborhood cats ,...
if there are strays nearby ,..the birds will be scarce
Hmmm. I've got some dead Virginia pine and there's some big ole holes knocked in them. Lol. But I've had the dead trees close to my house removed but maybe I can get someone to set up a dead tree at a more secure angle . Sigh, now I'm acting like my dad when he set up a dead tree for whatever reason... Lol
Chris

Hazel, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

The government has been hiding everything they can since the beginning of the government no telling what they have covered up and lied about!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm. I've got some dead Virginia pine and there's some big ole holes knocked in them. Lol. But I've had the dead trees close to my house removed but maybe I can get someone to set up a dead tree at a more secure angle . Sigh, now I'm acting like my dad when he set up a dead tree for whatever reason... Lol
After many years of trying to NOT act like my dad, I have come to realize that much of what he did or said actually makes sense after all. Things would have been much easier if I had learned that 25 years ago. I wonder if he did the same thing with Grandpa?

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Well, it was a long day. No birds to watch. Just a computer screen.

Level 3

Since: Nov 11

Fukushima

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
They sure want to keep the book closed on me Humpaburn. I'm a walking talking gas chamber.
RIP Una Farter.

I just learned of your death. You will be remembered, such an original poster, so passionate, so full of life.
Kentucky

Ruffs Dale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

After watching the food network, I realize I'm not a cook! Lol
Anyway, I cook my soup beans with pork salt. Usually let them simmer 4 hrs. Serve with taters, onions, cole slaw and sweet corn.

Song for today:
Glen Campbell "Try a Little Kindness

Blessings
Really

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
After many years of trying to NOT act like my dad, I have come to realize that much of what he did or said actually makes sense after all. Things would have been much easier if I had learned that 25 years ago. I wonder if he did the same thing with Grandpa?
Oh I do know what you mean! Too bad we tend to ignore the wisdom of years handed to us. Why didnt we realize they were 30 with 30 more years mature adult experience?(Making them 60) Jeez did that make sense? Thirty years of adult wisdom is nothing that should be sneezed at! And, I'd say yes, our parents did the same thing when they were younger.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Judged:

Kentucky wrote:
After watching the food network, I realize I'm not a cook! Lol
Anyway, I cook my soup beans with pork salt. Usually let them simmer 4 hrs. Serve with taters, onions, cole slaw and sweet corn.
Song for today:
Glen Campbell "Try a Little Kindness
Blessings
Maybe you are much like me and really are a cook, just not a chef. And I can "eat" while wearing a flannel shirt and blue jeans and not need to "dine" while wearing a white shirt with a bow tie. LOL

I would replace your salt pork with Clifty Farm country ham pieces for seasoning and serve up with hot baked cornbread dripping in butter. The taters, onions and cole slaw would be enough for me and I could save the sweet corn for another day. Oh, and a really cold glass of milk. Heaven on a plate. Blessings to you too.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Judged:

Put the seeds out this morning about 5am...I can hear the birds making all kinds of noise. Why is it that all those black birds are bullies? I wish they wouldn't be like that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

45 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Which innocent LMPD slain is most despicable? (Nov '13) 4 min Fritz 16
Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 19 min Teacher 1,012
Growing up at St .Thomas St .Vincent Orphanage ? (Sep '10) 1 hr John Maerz 71
Cindy Cummings (Jun '12) 1 hr Fired 47
Crack is Whack 1 hr LouisvilleKYreport 1
Shot fired during McDonald's robbery on Preston... 2 hr LouisvilleKYreport 10
Another West End Loser 3 hr LouisvilleKYreport 1
•••
•••