Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,722

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
roamingalcoholic

AOL

#87677 Mar 22, 2013
many woodpeckers are only passing through ,on their long trip up north ,....
some species actually spend the winter in Costa Rica ,... and fly to Canada for the summer
but if you insist ,...
you will need to prop up a few - bug infested tress ,..
they dont like downed tress ,... but you can try starting with a small stack of old logs ,..

and they dont like neighborhood cats ,...
if there are strays nearby ,..the birds will be scarce
whitehair

Eminence, KY

#87680 Mar 22, 2013
Ths morning I found a very small birds nest on the ground under my front yard trees.It was about 2 inches in diameter,inside,the bottom was grey fuzz,and the sides twigs.Altogether it was only about 3 inches across.Very small.Any one know what bird would be so small?And isn`t it too early for birds nests?I have been trying to attract humming birds without much success,
Really

Duluth, GA

#87681 Mar 22, 2013
roamingalcoholic wrote:
many woodpeckers are only passing through ,on their long trip up north ,....
some species actually spend the winter in Costa Rica ,... and fly to Canada for the summer
but if you insist ,...
you will need to prop up a few - bug infested tress ,..
they dont like downed tress ,... but you can try starting with a small stack of old logs ,..
and they dont like neighborhood cats ,...
if there are strays nearby ,..the birds will be scarce
Hmmm. I've got some dead Virginia pine and there's some big ole holes knocked in them. Lol. But I've had the dead trees close to my house removed but maybe I can get someone to set up a dead tree at a more secure angle . Sigh, now I'm acting like my dad when he set up a dead tree for whatever reason... Lol
Chris

Murray, KY

#87683 Mar 22, 2013
The government has been hiding everything they can since the beginning of the government no telling what they have covered up and lied about!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87687 Mar 22, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm. I've got some dead Virginia pine and there's some big ole holes knocked in them. Lol. But I've had the dead trees close to my house removed but maybe I can get someone to set up a dead tree at a more secure angle . Sigh, now I'm acting like my dad when he set up a dead tree for whatever reason... Lol
After many years of trying to NOT act like my dad, I have come to realize that much of what he did or said actually makes sense after all. Things would have been much easier if I had learned that 25 years ago. I wonder if he did the same thing with Grandpa?

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87688 Mar 22, 2013
Well, it was a long day. No birds to watch. Just a computer screen.

Level 3

Since: Nov 11

Fukushima

#87689 Mar 22, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
They sure want to keep the book closed on me Humpaburn. I'm a walking talking gas chamber.
RIP Una Farter.

I just learned of your death. You will be remembered, such an original poster, so passionate, so full of life.
Kentucky

Pittsburgh, PA

#87690 Mar 22, 2013
After watching the food network, I realize I'm not a cook! Lol
Anyway, I cook my soup beans with pork salt. Usually let them simmer 4 hrs. Serve with taters, onions, cole slaw and sweet corn.

Song for today:
Glen Campbell "Try a Little Kindness

Blessings
Really

United States

#87691 Mar 22, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
After many years of trying to NOT act like my dad, I have come to realize that much of what he did or said actually makes sense after all. Things would have been much easier if I had learned that 25 years ago. I wonder if he did the same thing with Grandpa?
Oh I do know what you mean! Too bad we tend to ignore the wisdom of years handed to us. Why didnt we realize they were 30 with 30 more years mature adult experience?(Making them 60) Jeez did that make sense? Thirty years of adult wisdom is nothing that should be sneezed at! And, I'd say yes, our parents did the same thing when they were younger.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87692 Mar 23, 2013
Kentucky wrote:
After watching the food network, I realize I'm not a cook! Lol
Anyway, I cook my soup beans with pork salt. Usually let them simmer 4 hrs. Serve with taters, onions, cole slaw and sweet corn.
Song for today:
Glen Campbell "Try a Little Kindness
Blessings
Maybe you are much like me and really are a cook, just not a chef. And I can "eat" while wearing a flannel shirt and blue jeans and not need to "dine" while wearing a white shirt with a bow tie. LOL

I would replace your salt pork with Clifty Farm country ham pieces for seasoning and serve up with hot baked cornbread dripping in butter. The taters, onions and cole slaw would be enough for me and I could save the sweet corn for another day. Oh, and a really cold glass of milk. Heaven on a plate. Blessings to you too.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87693 Mar 23, 2013
Put the seeds out this morning about 5am...I can hear the birds making all kinds of noise. Why is it that all those black birds are bullies? I wish they wouldn't be like that.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#87694 Mar 23, 2013
Good morning to all of my most favorite posters in Topixland!! Hope you all are well today and have some fun or restful plans ahead.

"Good morning", I did some thinking last night about your woodpecker attracting dilemma. I could swear that I've seen suet cakes at Tractor Supply that stated they were woodpecker attractors. You might want to check that out, or even do a Google search for home made suet cakes that you can make at home, no doubt being much cheaper on your wallet.

*Be forewarned though that the 'binder' for suet cakes is made from animal fats and it can go rancid quickly during the warmer months. It's recommended for cold weather feedings. I'd hate to see you find a recipe and then kill these lovely creatures unwittingly... Perhaps you could simply put out some of the seed and nut ingredients, minus the 'fat' binder, around an old log on your property? That might lure one in for you.

Good luck!
Good Morning

United States

#87695 Mar 23, 2013
The suet cakes sound like a good option! You"guys" may have just motivated me into action on this! I did google pileated woodpeckers and there's even a birdhouse plan! With all or most of you being country with woods, gardens, and farms I knew you probably had more experience with these birds! Many people don't even know they exist since the birds generally stay near woods!

Now, whats for supper? ham n beans with chopped onions, cornbread, cole slaw and potatoes? Yum ! Yum!
bigwstyle

Berea, KY

#87696 Mar 23, 2013
I saw mes a dead bird on the sidewalk on lancasters avenue dis morning. I think it was a blackbird but I no birdologist.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#87697 Mar 23, 2013
whitehair wrote:
Ths morning I found a very small birds nest on the ground under my front yard trees.It was about 2 inches in diameter,inside,the bottom was grey fuzz,and the sides twigs.Altogether it was only about 3 inches across.Very small.Any one know what bird would be so small?And isn`t it too early for birds nests?I have been trying to attract humming birds without much success,
I have seen birds mating and they are definitely starting nests. I have never seen this so early in the season. Very strange, and likely related to climate change. We have tons of starlings in our area. One tree was absolutely full of them.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#87698 Mar 23, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you are much like me and really are a cook, just not a chef. And I can "eat" while wearing a flannel shirt and blue jeans and not need to "dine" while wearing a white shirt with a bow tie. LOL
I would replace your salt pork with Clifty Farm country ham pieces for seasoning and serve up with hot baked cornbread dripping in butter. The taters, onions and cole slaw would be enough for me and I could save the sweet corn for another day. Oh, and a really cold glass of milk. Heaven on a plate. Blessings to you too.
I prefer to eat and not dine. Hubby and I decided to go out to eat one evening after I had finished working for the day. We stumbled upon a restaurant and didn't realize it was an establishment for fine dining. When the meals came, there were only four or five small meat "medallions." The plate presentation was superb, but definitely not enough for "eating." We looked at each other and burst out laughing. Paying $15.00 for a few morsels of meat and about a half cup of mashed potatoes, along with a comparable amount of vegetables was a total ripoff, and could barely fill a thimble.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87699 Mar 23, 2013
Good Morning wrote:
The suet cakes sound like a good option! You"guys" may have just motivated me into action on this! I did google pileated woodpeckers and there's even a birdhouse plan! With all or most of you being country with woods, gardens, and farms I knew you probably had more experience with these birds! Many people don't even know they exist since the birds generally stay near woods!
Now, whats for supper? ham n beans with chopped onions, cornbread, cole slaw and potatoes? Yum ! Yum!
I put a pot with a ham bone and ham scraps on the wood burning stove early this morning after I saw the menu. LOL Slow cook all day and ought to be prime for supper time while I work outside. LOL I bet the dog won't be wanting to pull my finger. hehehe
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87700 Mar 23, 2013
good morning all:)

going to do some back reading ...be back later
So true

Morgantown, KY

#87701 Mar 23, 2013
Top of the morning , you guys .. Hope everyone had a good week.. I did ...well gotta go work , y'all have a good one..
Wasiyusotan

Flemingsburg, KY

#87703 Mar 23, 2013
The boy who shot the mom in the leg and then shot the 13 month old baby in the face(the baby died)should be tried as an adult. He should get life without parole. Because when he gets out,I doubt if he would be able to get an average job. Who would want to hire a cold blooded baby killer. That's what people would know him by. I wouldn't hire him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review - Dr Corbett plastic surgeon 41 min Krissy 1
KFC yum! center 1 hr Sports analyst 23
Grade lane hit and run (Travis Christy)This is ... (Nov '12) 4 hr defeated 144
Cody Rumbaugh 5 hr sad 2
Louisville Cardinals vs Kentucky Wildcats Dec 2... 7 hr ForumCommando 4
brad jones fairdale 8 hr brog 10
Group masturbation? (Feb '12) 12 hr sounds fun 20
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web