Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
73,401 - 73,420 of 81,557 Comments Last updated Yesterday
OhioJeepGirl

Wilkinson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Well, I have changed my mind. I am going to head off to bed and get an early start at it again in the morning. <yawn> I will do better when I am rested.

I have not had a chance to check emails today, so if I have missed any then I will get to them tomorrow.

Much love, big hugs, and sweet dreams.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Puppy seen his first deer in the front lawn this evening, he did not like them, a mix of angry growls and tail wagging.

I need to check my insurance policy and see if sink holes are covered, with my luck one just big enough to suck my harley into the abiss will open up. Maybe fema will come up with a use for them..
Hey kid

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Child abuse scares forever
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Good morning bird threaders. I hope everyone had a good night. 8 hours and no post, even from AW @ tree time. Wow, hard to believe.

Our Madrid Fault Zone insist on having small earthquakes, no new ones reported for today yet.

Wednesday, 06th March 2013
Arkansas
Magnitude: 1.8

Oklahoma
Magnitude: 3.4

Alaska
Magnitude: 5.3

Utah, Nevada, California, Hawaii, Washington, and Oregon had small earthquakes, Calif still rocking.

South Africa 6 total
Magnitude: 5.0

Nepal
Magnitude: 5.0

Phillippines, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Indonesia, Chili, Greece, and Mexico had 4.+ magnitude. Many at the 4.8/4.9 magnitude.

Biohazard name: Bees Attack (Africanized honeybees)
Florida
Two Tampa park employees were swarmed by as many as 100,000 Africanized honeybees, after they accidentally disturbed a hive

Non-categorized event
California
Area: Santa Monica Bay
Authorities say a foul odor that spurred calls to fire departments throughout the city on Sunday is possibly the result of the large release of methane in the Santa Monica Bay.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php...

With all the earthquakes in California it is no wonder they are smelling large releases of methane. I still think that is what probably killed the birds to begin with.

Today's map still shows the earthquakes on the map from the Madrid Fault. Best viewed on second link...North America. Looks like Georgia had a tornado since I looked at it late last night.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Man's best friend:

Wonder dog: Pooch foils owner's suicide attempt

If you weren’t already a dog lover, one intuitive, alert and loyal pooch is about to convert you. Recently, a 63-year-old woman in the French town of Sorgues went to her garden with a .22-caliber rifle. She intended to commit suicide. After firing several test shots, she prepared to shoot herself, putting the gun to her chest. But at the moment she pulled the trigger, her German shepherd jumped on her, diverting the bullet. The woman's husband later discovered her with a non-life-threatening chest wound. A police officer said the heroic — and clairvoyant — canine "probably sensed things and knocked into her to save her." [Source]

http://now.msn.com/dog-stops-owner-from-commi...

Dolphins stand in for lifeguards, rescue woman and dog

Animal loving humans have been known to save dolphins in distress, but it looks like the tables have turned as a retired policewoman says dolphins saved her life. Karyn Gitsham was out walking her dogs Buddy and Ramsay on Carrickalinga Beach in South Australia when Ramsay doggie-paddled out chasing a seagull and couldn't get back. Worried, Karyn followed him along the shoreline, slipped and plunged into the sea.“I remember going under and coming back up I saw a fin, and then I saw him, and thought ‘oh great, it’s a shark’,” she said. Thankfully, she was wrong.“These dolphins just formed this horseshoe and were guiding him in, pushing him in," she says. Then they nudged her to safety, turning her nightmare into a miracle.[Source]

http://now.msn.com/karyn-gitsham-says-a-pod-o...

Big blind dog and little seeing-eye dog are adorable BFFs

When kids make friends, it's cute. But when dogs make friends, it's even cuter, so get ready for your heart to melt when you see through these photos because these two dogs are BFFs. One is blind, and the other acts as his eyes 24/7. Eddie is a 7-year-old black Labrador, and his sight has deteriorated over the past year. Luckily, his devoted friend Milo, a crossbreed terrier, has been with him every step of the way. Angie Baker-Stedham, their owner, said, "Milo really cares for Eddie, he always licks his face, they sleep in the same room and spend all their time together. Without Milo, Eddie would be lost." [Source]

http://now.msn.com/blind-dog-friends-with-ter...

Love these cute short stories. Amazing things that dolphins do too. Enjoy
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Bird Stories, sad ones too. I can't believe people would put those around bird's necks. Karma will get them.

Pelican, gull freed from beer can collars are recovering

This herring gull was one of two birds found by a rescue group with beer cans shoved over their heads.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Rescue official says she has rescued birds from danger before, "but never this"

Someone had cut both ends off beer cans and forced them over birds' heads like collars

Pelican also had signs of avian botulism; gull was emaciated and needed fresh fish soup

(CNN)-- Maya Totman says she's never seen anything like this before: birds with beer cans forced over their heads.

"This is sickening," she said. "We are here to help the wildlife and this is what you do."
Totman, who heads Florida Keys Wildlife Rescue Inc., received a call Monday about two injured birds on Big Pine Key, about 30 miles east of Key West.

When she arrived, she found a semi-paralyzed brown pelican and a weak, emaciated herring gull. Each bird had a Busch beer can around its neck like a collar.

Someone had cut the ends of the cans and forced them over the birds' heads, around their necks.
"They were gasping for breath," Totman said. "They wouldn't have survived another day or two."
A rescue official said the birds were "gasping for breath."

The cans were immediately cut off. The pelican had symptoms of avian botulism and needed fluid to flush toxins from its system. The gull needed fluids as well, along with a helping of fresh fish soup.

Totman said the birds are doing beautifully and should be released back into the wild soon.
"We come across birds stuck in nets, bottles, fishing line and with hooks in them, but never this," said Totman, who has been working in the Keys since 1993.

Totman said she believes at least two people were involved, one to hold down the bird and another to put the can around its neck.

"No way one person can do this," she said.
Who did it? So far, there are no leads, but Totman said the area crime watch was notified and is keeping an eye out.

The birds were found a day after an osprey was found shot with BB gun pellets in the same area. The osprey was not seriously injured

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/us/beer-can-pel...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Tick season will soon be here, seen this and thought it might be worth a try. Has anyone used this method?

Tick Removal

A nurse discovered a safe, easy way to remove ticks where they automatically withdraw themselves when you follow her simple instructions. Read this one as it could save you from some major problems.

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads. Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try.

A School Nurse has written the info below--good enough to share--and it really works!

"I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc."

"Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I've used it
(and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.."

Also, if you just pull a tick off, their heads sometimes break off and are left under the skin so this is much safer. Be aware also that a tick with a white speck on its back is a Deer Tick, these can cause Tick Fever so check yourself and your family good if you see any of these!

"Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way.

Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Raptor Resource Project

This photo of falcon 96/B was taken at St. Marks's National Wildlife Reserve in Wakulla County, Florida. Photographer Roy Brown reported the band number to the Bird Banding Lab, who notified us that Uncle Bob,(a peregrine I banded at Dairyland Power in Alma, Wisconsin in 2012) had been spotted 1,069 miles away. Uncle Bob's mother Alex is a daughter of Belinda at Xcel's Allen S. King plant, who is herself a daughter of Camilla at Xcel's Monticello plant. I was able to track Uncle Bob's roots back to R0031504, a falcon bred by James Doyle and released in the late 1980s. It is such a thrill to get BBL notifications!

Every spring, we band 60+ peregrine falcons. Bird banding is an invaluable way to study life histories and chart population changes, including changes in range, population numbers, and migratory behaviors. In anticipation of bird watching and banding season, I wrote this blog on bird banding: http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2013/03/03... .
To see more of Ray's wonderful photos, follow this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbinv/

Spring is coming and migratory birds are beginning to return to the upper midwest. It is a wonderful time to watch for returning bald eagles, peregrine falcons, and other birds like horned larks (I spotted six of them yesterday). If you happen to spot a bird band, please report it to the Bird Banding Lab (read the blog for instructions). We love to hear about your encounters with the birds we band.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Happiness looks a lot like a beagle with a box of dryer sheets

You might remember Maymo the lemon beagle from such hits as "Dog Loves Water Bottles" and "Dog Steals Cabbage." He's back, in a sequel called "Dog Loves Dryer Sheets," that has a better script than the latest "Die Hard" flick. Maymo has discovered dryer sheets, and rubbing his floppy little ears on each scented scrap seems to put a little Bounce in his step (SORRY). "Would that be a lemon fresh beagle?" one YouTube commenter wrote. Sure, that makes scents.

http://now.msn.com/maymo-a-lemon-beagle-loves...

I love this, it is hilarious.
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
Tick season will soon be here, seen this and thought it might be worth a try. Has anyone used this method?
Tick Removal
A nurse discovered a safe, easy way to remove ticks where they automatically withdraw themselves when you follow her simple instructions. Read this one as it could save you from some major problems.
Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads. Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try.
A School Nurse has written the info below--good enough to share--and it really works!
"I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc."
"Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.
This technique has worked every time I've used it
(and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.."
Also, if you just pull a tick off, their heads sometimes break off and are left under the skin so this is much safer. Be aware also that a tick with a white speck on its back is a Deer Tick, these can cause Tick Fever so check yourself and your family good if you see any of these!
"Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way.
Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.
morn'n Ab. The ticks were really bad in my area last year. everybody was eat up with turkey mites, but they are acualy baby ticks. the ones you mentioned to be deer ticks with the white spot. But they are acually larva stage Lone star ticks. the adult stage,they have a red spot instead of white,and about the size of a weed tick. did'nt use to be native to ky,but now are wide-spread. As are deer ticks and can also carry lime desease. In the nimph stage,they are about the size of a chigger,(No See'ms). look like chigger bites. Best way to remove them is to take bath in LICE shampoo, Dry off, then apply lice shampoo as lotion on efected areas,which wil be little, red, itchy spots.
Dinner

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

why not wrote:
test them for whatever the chemicals are found in meth! Or maybe west nile!
yes please test them
OhioJeepGirl

Wilkinson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Morning little birdie buddies.

Interesting tips on ticks. Thank you, I will remember!!!

Ahhh! Methane release in Santa Monica bay has me thinking. One of our threaders had mentioned about the earth's core. I am starting to wonder more about the core going through some change or build up that needs to be released.

AB - Some links you posted the other night either pointed out the 188 day cycle or led to left bar links on Youtube that pointed to the 188 day cycle of big quakes. One is due April 2, 2013. Then there was the sun spots, which pointed to a quake in our half of the globe. Let's pray it is not the Madrid.

I have too much work today, but will check back later.

Much love and big hugs.
qwerty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

You can make significant progress as the methane continues to activate your third house of communication. You may find yourself traveling here and here to accomplish your goals, but it will be worth it. Relationships with neighbors and sinkholes are also favored; why not meet at a favorite for lunch? It's time to connect with the bird people in your life.
turtle man II

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

soon ,..
the buzzards will return to hinkley roost ,...
one of the most amazing sites you will ever witness with your own eyes
dont miss it
Linus

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

In regards to the tick removal, just thought some of you might want to read:

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp
Hope

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

OhioJeepGirl wrote:
Morning little birdie buddies.
Interesting tips on ticks. Thank you, I will remember!!!
Ahhh! Methane release in Santa Monica bay has me thinking. One of our threaders had mentioned about the earth's core. I am starting to wonder more about the core going through some change or build up that needs to be released.
AB - Some links you posted the other night either pointed out the 188 day cycle or led to left bar links on Youtube that pointed to the 188 day cycle of big quakes. One is due April 2, 2013. Then there was the sun spots, which pointed to a quake in our half of the globe. Let's pray it is not the Madrid.
I have too much work today, but will check back later.
Much love and big hugs.
I think the earth's core is heating up due primarily to various forms of electromagnetic radiation hitting the earth whether its gamma rays from distant galaxies or EMP from solar flares and we are seeing its effects in the form of severe and unusual whether patterns, earthquakes, sinkholes, volcanic activity, global warming, methane bursts etc. I think even the sun itself is getting hit with increased radiation which is why we are seeing an increase in solar activity.
As an analogy, if you've ever microwaved a hard boiled egg you can see what happens on a small scale with a focused high microwave energy input...the egg explodes. What we are seeing happening on earth and the sun (the egg) is just a much larger scale with a less focused energy input over a longer time period.
This goes along with the Mayan calendar prophecies of our solar systems passage through the galactic center which is supposedly associated with an increase in electromagnetic radiation emanating from the galactic center and is based on a 26000 year cycle and we are now in the period of the end of that cycle where cataclysmic earth changes will occur as a result, but this is going to be happening gradually over a period of hundreds of years during that passage.

Nice to see you posting again. Maybe we can resume our previous discussion of the global chessboard. There is a lot going on now as I'm sure you are aware. I would be interested in hearing what your insiders are telling you now.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

finally got the boondock's short in the cable repaired and have internet and phone together for the first time in over a week. Before it was one or the other and most times neither.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
finally got the boondock's short in the cable repaired and have internet and phone together for the first time in over a week. Before it was one or the other and most times neither.
I'd like a piece of that heaven...I mean like your quarter. There are at least two people around here that I'd leave the boondocks for;) LOL. I get along with the Jehovah Witness folks. Even commented that it was nice of them to spread "the word." They're more aggravating than anything. Good thing We don't walk around in the buff around. Wouldn't be very polite to ask em in. Hehe. Better yet, maybe I should go to the door like that. Be my luck will be the ex. Hehehe.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Thought I heard an eagle today. I know, they have a particular sound. It had the shrill pitch at the end of the Caw. The birds have been in abundance...:)
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> I'd like a piece of that heaven...I mean like your quarter. There are at least two people around here that I'd leave the boondocks for;) LOL. I get along with the Jehovah Witness folks. Even commented that it was nice of them to spread "the word." They're more aggravating than anything. Good thing We don't walk around in the buff around. Wouldn't be very polite to ask em in. Hehe. Better yet, maybe I should go to the door like that. Be my luck will be the ex. Hehehe.
I don't mind the JW folks all that much. The teen girl that comes with them always wants to see my chickens and brings me some bird pictures and never leaves without a hug. The first time she came she had just lost her granny and I gave her a big hug and she comes back every other Saturday morning with her Dad or Mom. I told them early on that my belief system was a bit different than theirs but that we both believe in GOD and as far as I am concerned that is all that really matters and they have not been all that aggravating. I think they benefit from the visit as much as I do, but I won't join their traditions or rituals just like I won't join any others, and they know it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

39 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
More Urban losers 12 min Phoenix97 2
Another West End Loser 19 min Phoenix97 4
What time can inmates make calls from Louisvill... 36 min LouisvilleKYreport 4
American Fuji Seal creating 45 new jobs (Jun '12) 1 hr Truth 13
Samantha Spade remembered (Feb '08) 7 hr Jeremy spade 50
STUDY: Louisville third most unhappy city in U.S. 8 hr LouisvilleKYreport 5
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 9 hr Ashby 26,189
•••
•••