Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
73,261 - 73,280 of 81,588 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
No horse meat as of yet says U.S. officials. Apparently, Swedish meatballs have been found to contain horse meat. Sorry, that thought nauseates me. Believe I'd rather eat escargo or mountain oysters truth be told. Hehehe.Might go on the palate with some mushrooms.LOL
Same here, Misty. I've tried to limit my meat intake for the last year or so anyway. I'm having trouble eating it lately due to what I've been reading about the inhumane way these slaughter houses are processing and culling.. I'd no sooner eat my cat or one of my dogs than eat horse meat. Somewhere, you just gotta draw the line.

I know some cultures even eat monkey. That veers too close to being cannibalistic in my personal opinion.. And those who eat dog or cat? That's just too horrific for me to even spend time thinking about at any length.

I was one of those kids though that couldn't see an animal before it was beheaded. And if it was named, tamed and I ever fed it? You couldn't eat it. It better not end up on my plate with my knowledge either, because I'd push the plate away. Even helping my grand pappy clean his catch from a hunt, he had to remove the heads first so I'd not see those little eyes before I could help him skin and clean anything. Once that head was gone and no eyes could stare back at me, I could skin a rabbit or squirrel almost as quick as him. Grandma always did the culling of the chickens too. As long as that head was gone, I could pluck and gut.

Horse meat though? I'm not gonna do it. Same as I can't hunt or kill anything myself right now. Not unless it was imperative that my canines needed meat, could I kill anything currently.. I hope that day never comes. I'd do what I had to, but it wouldn't be a pleasure as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather go fishing if I needed meat that badly and civilization had crumbled.. I use artificial baits these days too. And always practice catch and release unless it's been injured too badly. Nowadays, I even feel too bad for the minnow to use it as fish bait. Can't even use live worms any more..
I've turned into a mushy hearted person in my old age I guess...
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Sling Blade wrote:
Horse meat found in taco bell meals? Burger king? Hamburger meat in quality stores? Etc. makes me wonder what people like me have been buying from discount food stores!!??? Does your potted meat and beef stew taste finny latley?
Another disturbing thought, where is all this horse meat coming from? Are they slaughtering wild horses again?!!
WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE!
<the things that go through my mind while waiting for poodle to do the doodle>

at some point we may have to decide if its better we stomach eating poor flicka vs cloned meat.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
What is up with 65? It is crazy huh? Just seen this clip on WLKY32:
Raw aerials: Crash closes I 65 in Elizabethtown
Read more: http://www.wlky.com/news/local-news/kentucky-...
What a way to start the work week for those that have to travel that way. It is getting as bad as Dixie Dieway. Still haven't heard what caused it.
from what i got they said the big truck rear-ended everyone because there was a yuppy at a dead stop..... so im thinking ppl that cant drive cutting ppl who cant drive off and then slamming on breaks .... i see it all the time through there..... and maybe this is 3:32 am talking but kinda looks like a really dumb cluster of ants when your traveling on the road above ...because it only makes sense to spread out.... so they cant do that.... and we all know what happens when one ant trips... the whole line of them go flying into ten directions. no thank you... i like the scenic route, i can go all the way to Florida via 31. when we go to gatlinburg we take the scenic route through Campbellsville and columbia and cross over to Tennessee somewhere around Cumberland, we do hit some major roads when we get to Knoxville but for the most part its two lanes there and back. my step dad always took us there that same route so we wouldn't have to pay tolls (i wonder if they still do tolls) and we like the view and have a few favorite stopping points on the way. yeh its an extra hour or so on the drive time.. but the trip down and back up is the best part aside from the mountains.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
Well, insomnia has hit again. I'm restless as a ruffled hen. Blah. LOL. Now, I'm thinking a naked man and a cowboy hat...Whohee.
I have 3 Stetsons, but I don't look very good naked anymore. LOL
People

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

life wrote:
It's a sign of what's to come! When we lose our natural inhabitants, It's usually not a good looking outcome for the rest of us. Lets keep drilling for oil and creating the next precription medication!....Because we need it.
yes we need to now

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
Well, insomnia has hit again. I'm restless as a ruffled hen. Blah. LOL. Now, I'm thinking a naked man and a cowboy hat...Whohee.
LOL, that brings back memories. In my job (past life) I had to see a gentleman, and was confronted with a naked man wearing only cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.(my job was to bring him back down to this planet). I had all to do to keep a straight face. So it does happen sometimes. My, oh my, I had a storied career.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

A wet day today. Hoping we don't get any of that snow. I am looking forward to Spring!!

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Good morning, everyone. The hoot owl is up early here and his friend is hooting back. They are gorgeous creatures.
Ancient Wold,I see that you were up early, probably stoking the fire and letting Dog out for his tree time. I'm alone for a short while. Hubby brought the little guy to school. Now I can sneak in the bed for much needed Zzzzzzzzzz. By now, folks.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
Hempburn, have you heard of this at your BBQs? I never have but I am going to try it this year. Especially when we go to the lake or river.
Am I the only person who hasn't heard of "cooler corn"?
As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was blind-sided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly.
I was hepped to it while visiting my family. Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster. "Let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the hell is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed.
Then nothing. When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.
Turns out, Cooler Corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsy set But for those of us who avoid tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbecues and way less of mess than grilling. In fact, I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer. Now that I'm in the know.
Just add Perfect Spice www.perfectspice.com when applying the butter!
PERFECT SINCE 1987
The Perfect Spice was specially formulated by the makers of Kentucky Fried Chicken's "secret herbs and spices" in honour of Mr. Bob Cauley (upon his retirement after some 35 years as Executive Vice President at Kentucky Fried Chicken). And yes, he did know the Colonel.
Perfect on steaks, chops, chicken, fish, soups, salads and even makes a great ceasar!
Some really good recipes on that site. Haven't tried the spice, but I will look for it.
Actually I've cooler cooked before and it works quite well, works best with smaller coolers and if the corn is at room temp before starting. For me, about an hour is perfectly done. You can cook rice in an large mouthed thermos,,,, and room temp eggs will boil in a thermos,, you can steep coffee grains perfectly. When camping, a thermos and a dutch oven are indispensable for cooking.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

well the televangelists are preaching the good news this morning.... not one iota of fire and brimstone all morning long......

joyce meyer.... over coming fear and doubt with positive words (which was actually filmed at her conference in louisville last april)

Joseph prince..... supply and demand..... god does not demand... he commands...and there fore supplies :) my favorite...

creflo dollar..... casting out fear and looking toward the future... and then (was a two part).... oh wait a minute... that was 19.95

switched back to that seventy's show marathon.

his fault..... shouldn't have convinced me to cast out my negative spending habits till the second half hour.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Good morning bird threaders. After writing a note to each of you it apparently shot to cyber space and I am not playing games with topix this morning. Maybe after second cup of coffee. Topix can suck so bad sometimes. I am not writing all of that over again. So have a good morning, I will check in later. Birds are calling, so I will go feed them before the rain comes.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
Good morning bird threaders. After writing a note to each of you it apparently shot to cyber space and I am not playing games with topix this morning. Maybe after second cup of coffee. Topix can suck so bad sometimes. I am not writing all of that over again. So have a good morning, I will check in later. Birds are calling, so I will go feed them before the rain comes.
agree.....i am missing some too but from sunday night. but they were a couple random news stories so i thought that was why.... good morning:)
Hey

Hobart, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

What have you been doing you look like the cat that swallowed the chicken.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Go figure, we get called yesterday on the reversed 911 to notify that we are under Tornado Drill siren testing today. The sirens just went off for 15 minutes, then across the TV screen there is a
"Tornado Warning" for most of the counties in this area, all the while most of the state is under a Winter Advisory as the white stuff is predicted to come in tonight. Hello Spring!!!
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
<<<<snort> >>>
You crack me up, "Qwerty", ROFLMBO!!
Check this out, on that note:
"Gotta Get the Bread and Milk"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =i6zaVYWLTkUXX
Rapid, I guess Topix must be reviewing my avatar for it's appropriateness of viewing, hehe. I'm sure it'll show up eventually. Maybe their servers are mad at me for changing eyes too often? Guess for now I'll just have to be the gray girl with no hair.... So sad.
SMHH
("Scratch My Hairless Head)...
well 'NOPE' eye see your back . I can do blue eyes , but what the hell IS that ? now I got a strange feel'n somethings eye-ball'n me ! LOL ...SO BMHB {Bite my hairy Butt} heeheeheeeeeeeh !
eeeooouuu

Saint Charles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Misty eyed wrote:
No horse meat as of yet says U.S. officials. Apparently, Swedish meatballs have been found to contain horse meat. Sorry, that thought nauseates me. Believe I'd rather eat escargo or mountain oysters truth be told. Hehehe.Might go on the palate with some mushrooms.LOL
Agree!!! I used to love swedish meatballs, wont be trying them anymore.
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Misty eyed wrote:
YeeeeEE HAh !,I thought I saw a naked cowgirl dancing across the ceiling ! haha!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
Hey, AB. A couple of questions about your missing posts:

How long did it take before you clicked to post them? I've discovered myself that Topix has a "time out" feature and if you don't click to post within a certain amount of time, it zaps it. I've typed a comment and then gotten side tracked doing something else for a while, then went back to send it and not have it show up..

The GOOD thing is that you can hit the "go back" button on your PC and usually find it so you won't have to retype the whole thing.

Another thing might be the size limit? I know that there are only 4,000 characters allowed on any particular post. Did you exceed them?

I hate it when people on this thread talk about their comments missing. We have a good crew on here and I know that no one is cursing or placing spam. So whatever is happening, Topix needs to know so they can fix it. I'm not shy, I'll let them know via feedback if any of you will tell me what you think might have happened to your posts...

Another thing I've had happen recently, is placing news links and having them not show up. I don't know why. Maybe certain web domains are banned now? But I even placed a YouTube about a week ago and it wouldn't post. Yet my "Gotta Get Milk and Bread" stayed from last night.
(Well, I think it did anyway. I can still see it, but can anyone else)????

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Never mind about my "Bread and Milk" link. I see that Rapid replied to it, so it stayed..

On a side note: I saw THE most beautiful Pileated Woodpecker yesterday!! He, or she, was HUGE and it landed on the tree right outside of my front window. I wish it would have found a hoard of bugs on that limb. It was awe inspiring!!! The only reason I saw it out the corner of my eye was it's bright red head. What a sight it was!!! I hope it's mate is near.

I've not heard any owls here since last fall and I miss them. But soon it will be time to open the windows at night and I will get to listen to them all night again. I love that too.

(Has anyone else noticed that the tree frogs have all but disappeared around their placesa? Last summer and fall, I barely heard any at all during the night. They used to be almost deafening out my way, specially sitting out on the porch at night. They used to be so loud here that you could barely talk on the phone for their chattering back and forth. Possible chem trail 'deaths' maybe? Just another side thought)..

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

RAPIDFIRE wrote:
<quoted text> well 'NOPE' eye see your back . I can do blue eyes , but what the hell IS that ? now I got a strange feel'n somethings eye-ball'n me ! LOL ...SO BMHB {Bite my hairy Butt} heeheeheeeeeeeh !
I think that one is a Hawks eye. But I can't remember what kind of Hawk it was, sorry. I really should have labeled it when I saved it to my files. I'll look around on the net and see if I can find out. I love how blue it is. That's my 'signature eyeball', by the way. I've used it for years now on here, hehe....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Louisville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Louisville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Louisville