Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,721

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#86956 Mar 5, 2013
Good morning, everyone. The hoot owl is up early here and his friend is hooting back. They are gorgeous creatures.
Ancient Wold,I see that you were up early, probably stoking the fire and letting Dog out for his tree time. I'm alone for a short while. Hubby brought the little guy to school. Now I can sneak in the bed for much needed Zzzzzzzzzz. By now, folks.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#86957 Mar 5, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Hempburn, have you heard of this at your BBQs? I never have but I am going to try it this year. Especially when we go to the lake or river.
Am I the only person who hasn't heard of "cooler corn"?
As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was blind-sided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly.
I was hepped to it while visiting my family. Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster. "Let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the hell is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed.
Then nothing. When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.
Turns out, Cooler Corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsy set But for those of us who avoid tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbecues and way less of mess than grilling. In fact, I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer. Now that I'm in the know.
Just add Perfect Spice www.perfectspice.com when applying the butter!
PERFECT SINCE 1987
The Perfect Spice was specially formulated by the makers of Kentucky Fried Chicken's "secret herbs and spices" in honour of Mr. Bob Cauley (upon his retirement after some 35 years as Executive Vice President at Kentucky Fried Chicken). And yes, he did know the Colonel.
Perfect on steaks, chops, chicken, fish, soups, salads and even makes a great ceasar!
Some really good recipes on that site. Haven't tried the spice, but I will look for it.
Actually I've cooler cooked before and it works quite well, works best with smaller coolers and if the corn is at room temp before starting. For me, about an hour is perfectly done. You can cook rice in an large mouthed thermos,,,, and room temp eggs will boil in a thermos,, you can steep coffee grains perfectly. When camping, a thermos and a dutch oven are indispensable for cooking.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#86958 Mar 5, 2013
well the televangelists are preaching the good news this morning.... not one iota of fire and brimstone all morning long......

joyce meyer.... over coming fear and doubt with positive words (which was actually filmed at her conference in louisville last april)

Joseph prince..... supply and demand..... god does not demand... he commands...and there fore supplies :) my favorite...

creflo dollar..... casting out fear and looking toward the future... and then (was a two part).... oh wait a minute... that was 19.95

switched back to that seventy's show marathon.

his fault..... shouldn't have convinced me to cast out my negative spending habits till the second half hour.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86959 Mar 5, 2013
Good morning bird threaders. After writing a note to each of you it apparently shot to cyber space and I am not playing games with topix this morning. Maybe after second cup of coffee. Topix can suck so bad sometimes. I am not writing all of that over again. So have a good morning, I will check in later. Birds are calling, so I will go feed them before the rain comes.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#86960 Mar 5, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Good morning bird threaders. After writing a note to each of you it apparently shot to cyber space and I am not playing games with topix this morning. Maybe after second cup of coffee. Topix can suck so bad sometimes. I am not writing all of that over again. So have a good morning, I will check in later. Birds are calling, so I will go feed them before the rain comes.
agree.....i am missing some too but from sunday night. but they were a couple random news stories so i thought that was why.... good morning:)
Hey

Hobart, IN

#86961 Mar 5, 2013
What have you been doing you look like the cat that swallowed the chicken.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86962 Mar 5, 2013
Go figure, we get called yesterday on the reversed 911 to notify that we are under Tornado Drill siren testing today. The sirens just went off for 15 minutes, then across the TV screen there is a
"Tornado Warning" for most of the counties in this area, all the while most of the state is under a Winter Advisory as the white stuff is predicted to come in tonight. Hello Spring!!!
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

#86963 Mar 5, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
<<<<snort> >>>
You crack me up, "Qwerty", ROFLMBO!!
Check this out, on that note:
"Gotta Get the Bread and Milk"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =i6zaVYWLTkUXX
Rapid, I guess Topix must be reviewing my avatar for it's appropriateness of viewing, hehe. I'm sure it'll show up eventually. Maybe their servers are mad at me for changing eyes too often? Guess for now I'll just have to be the gray girl with no hair.... So sad.
SMHH
("Scratch My Hairless Head)...
well 'NOPE' eye see your back . I can do blue eyes , but what the hell IS that ? now I got a strange feel'n somethings eye-ball'n me ! LOL ...SO BMHB {Bite my hairy Butt} heeheeheeeeeeeh !
eeeooouuu

Saint Charles, KY

#86964 Mar 5, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
No horse meat as of yet says U.S. officials. Apparently, Swedish meatballs have been found to contain horse meat. Sorry, that thought nauseates me. Believe I'd rather eat escargo or mountain oysters truth be told. Hehehe.Might go on the palate with some mushrooms.LOL
Agree!!! I used to love swedish meatballs, wont be trying them anymore.
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

#86965 Mar 5, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
Well, insomnia has hit again. I'm restless as a ruffled hen. Blah. LOL. Now, I'm thinking a naked man and a cowboy hat...Whohee.
YeeeeEE HAh !,I thought I saw a naked cowgirl dancing across the ceiling ! haha!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#86966 Mar 5, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Hey, AB. A couple of questions about your missing posts:

How long did it take before you clicked to post them? I've discovered myself that Topix has a "time out" feature and if you don't click to post within a certain amount of time, it zaps it. I've typed a comment and then gotten side tracked doing something else for a while, then went back to send it and not have it show up..

The GOOD thing is that you can hit the "go back" button on your PC and usually find it so you won't have to retype the whole thing.

Another thing might be the size limit? I know that there are only 4,000 characters allowed on any particular post. Did you exceed them?

I hate it when people on this thread talk about their comments missing. We have a good crew on here and I know that no one is cursing or placing spam. So whatever is happening, Topix needs to know so they can fix it. I'm not shy, I'll let them know via feedback if any of you will tell me what you think might have happened to your posts...

Another thing I've had happen recently, is placing news links and having them not show up. I don't know why. Maybe certain web domains are banned now? But I even placed a YouTube about a week ago and it wouldn't post. Yet my "Gotta Get Milk and Bread" stayed from last night.
(Well, I think it did anyway. I can still see it, but can anyone else)????

#86967 Mar 5, 2013
Never mind about my "Bread and Milk" link. I see that Rapid replied to it, so it stayed..

On a side note: I saw THE most beautiful Pileated Woodpecker yesterday!! He, or she, was HUGE and it landed on the tree right outside of my front window. I wish it would have found a hoard of bugs on that limb. It was awe inspiring!!! The only reason I saw it out the corner of my eye was it's bright red head. What a sight it was!!! I hope it's mate is near.

I've not heard any owls here since last fall and I miss them. But soon it will be time to open the windows at night and I will get to listen to them all night again. I love that too.

(Has anyone else noticed that the tree frogs have all but disappeared around their placesa? Last summer and fall, I barely heard any at all during the night. They used to be almost deafening out my way, specially sitting out on the porch at night. They used to be so loud here that you could barely talk on the phone for their chattering back and forth. Possible chem trail 'deaths' maybe? Just another side thought)..

#86969 Mar 5, 2013
RAPIDFIRE wrote:
<quoted text> well 'NOPE' eye see your back . I can do blue eyes , but what the hell IS that ? now I got a strange feel'n somethings eye-ball'n me ! LOL ...SO BMHB {Bite my hairy Butt} heeheeheeeeeeeh !
I think that one is a Hawks eye. But I can't remember what kind of Hawk it was, sorry. I really should have labeled it when I saved it to my files. I'll look around on the net and see if I can find out. I love how blue it is. That's my 'signature eyeball', by the way. I've used it for years now on here, hehe....
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#86970 Mar 5, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 3 Stetsons, but I don't look very good naked anymore. LOL
Well, you got one for the fron, one for the back and if all a Lady is looking for is a good time ...one for the face.Hehehe. Just kidding. You're an intelligent, hardworking older Gentleman with health issues. I'm joshing.Hehe.The only problem is though you wouldn't be able to see to dance you know. It could be like the rabbit under the hat deal, pick which one has the bunny. Hehe. Now,the Lady supposed to remove the blindfold after removing the chosen hat. LOL. Have a good day...
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#86971 Mar 5, 2013
eeeooouuu wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree!!! I used to love swedish meatballs, wont be trying them anymore.
If I read the article correctly, the meatball even the Swedish style are safe here in the states. Sweden, of course, sorry about the misconception. No, we have to worry about GMO's like hormones etc. Urine. Just lovely things like that. Best to wash those veggies thoroughly or grow em.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#86972 Mar 5, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Never mind about my "Bread and Milk" link. I see that Rapid replied to it, so it stayed..
On a side note: I saw THE most beautiful Pileated Woodpecker yesterday!! He, or she, was HUGE and it landed on the tree right outside of my front window. I wish it would have found a hoard of bugs on that limb. It was awe inspiring!!! The only reason I saw it out the corner of my eye was it's bright red head. What a sight it was!!! I hope it's mate is near.
I've not heard any owls here since last fall and I miss them. But soon it will be time to open the windows at night and I will get to listen to them all night again. I love that too.
(Has anyone else noticed that the tree frogs have all but disappeared around their placesa? Last summer and fall, I barely heard any at all during the night. They used to be almost deafening out my way, specially sitting out on the porch at night. They used to be so loud here that you could barely talk on the phone for their chattering back and forth. Possible chem trail 'deaths' maybe? Just another side thought)..
I found a baby frog last spring. They seem to propagate more around the creeks here in eastern Ky. I have noticed a decline in them also. However, I notice, during the spring and summer months road crews or whoever spray the foliage and hillsides on county roads in W.V , this would lead to chemicals being leaked into culverts and small streams as well as ditch lines and uncased, hand wells. Most wells I know of are covered and cased tough. Chemicals will continue to travel though through soil and water. So, there could be various reasons that we see fewer frogs.
OhioJeepGirl

Kermit, WV

#86973 Mar 5, 2013
betty wrote:
well the televangelists are preaching the good news this morning.... not one iota of fire and brimstone all morning long......
joyce meyer.... over coming fear and doubt with positive words (which was actually filmed at her conference in louisville last april)
Joseph prince..... supply and demand..... god does not demand... he commands...and there fore supplies :) my favorite...
creflo dollar..... casting out fear and looking toward the future... and then (was a two part).... oh wait a minute... that was 19.95
switched back to that seventy's show marathon.
his fault..... shouldn't have convinced me to cast out my negative spending habits till the second half hour.
I consider many of these preachers to be more "self help" and little bible reading. That one guy, I think Joel is his name, is another Dr. Feel Good. I love the messianic jewish teachings. The Jewish Jesus, Perry Stone, and such.

Ha! Did you see on the new where that guy dressed as a cardinal and had pictures taken before the police figured out he was a fake?

Topix is doing a great job again! Missing letters that I type and freezing. It reminds me of a keystroke logging program. Anyone else experience these troubles on Topix?
Olaf of the Old Dominion

Norfolk, VA

#86974 Mar 5, 2013
So how do you people of western Kentucky feel about all that jet noise controversy surrounding NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach, VA and efforts to build more houses arond NALF Fentress in Chesapeake, VA!?

#86975 Mar 5, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> I found a baby frog last spring. They seem to propagate more around the creeks here in eastern Ky. I have noticed a decline in them also. However, I notice, during the spring and summer months road crews or whoever spray the foliage and hillsides on county roads in W.V , this would lead to chemicals being leaked into culverts and small streams as well as ditch lines and uncased, hand wells. Most wells I know of are covered and cased tough. Chemicals will continue to travel though through soil and water. So, there could be various reasons that we see fewer frogs.
I live too far out in the boonies for any spraying, and I don't put chemicals down around here. I've got plenty of chicken poop for fertilizer too. There has never even been a snow plow OR salt truck out here, LOL. I'm lucky enough just to get garbage service once a week and even sometimes THEY miss me, hehe.

I have some wetlands nearby, and of course the woods surround me. Not to mention that I've got the Cumberland River just over the hill too. Only recently noticed that the tree frogs are declining. And did so rapidly. Also noticed, and I had forgotten to mention this, that the crickets and such aren't as plentiful either. It makes no sense really. I didn't see a single "Walking Stick" bug all last year. Nor any Katydids. My cat used to puke up a Katydid about once ever couple of weeks during the summer, YUK. And previous to last year, those were plentiful too. I'd ALWAYS see at least three or four huge Walking Stick bugs outside somewhere. Not now though.

Honestly, I rarely see any air traffic over head around here, I'm not near any airports nor do I seem to be on any flight paths. The only time I do see aircraft, there's a trail behind it.. Sometimes they aren't even high enough to be leaving any vapor, but there's that tell tail stream of vapor, or whatever the heck it is, behind it anyway. It's too obvious to ignore..
(Well, I do sometimes have regular aircraft, but it's just the "Pot-copter" doing it's seasonal runs to sniff out crops of Mj. "Seasonal" being the key word here, HAHA)!

#86976 Mar 5, 2013
Oh yeah, I haven't seen a Praying Mantis either. And those were all over the place before. It was a regular 'bug haven' out here in my portion of the woods, but it's changed. The only thing that hasn't changed? Those darned Mosquitoes. And I see less and less bats every year as well. I know that they are coming down with White Nose Syndrome pretty quickly, but something else is going on too.

The balance of nature is all messed up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kentucky wants to give illegal immigrants drive... (Nov '07) 1 hr Mike 17
brad jones fairdale 2 hr beef 8
Mouse Moments - (Sep '11) 10 hr Maverick 808 12,445
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) 12 hr kctopps 61
Sarah annanice reece 18 hr Maverick 808 3
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 18 hr Maverick 808 7,943
Why did Wave 3 Kevin & Carrie harned get divorce? (Aug '13) 22 hr Geff 42
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web