Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
73,121 - 73,140 of 81,560 Comments Last updated 16 hrs ago
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Bill wrote:
Just got back from Hardee's this morning, and saw about 100 dead birds on Hamilton field on 18th street. What's causing all the bird deaths?
they might have eat the Yellow snow ! lol or could it be NOPE's nuclear fallout ?

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

S133py Loco wrote:
Any fine ladies out there???
Yeah, me. That's if you don't mind a Cougar in the making. LOL Only kidding, only kidding, and only in my dreams.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Dang it. I must have a sinkhole under my computer. I almost finished typing a lengthy message that suddenly went poof, and I couldn't even recreate it through 'history.' Oh well, I'll try again, but make it shorter.
Sinkholes are all over the place in states that have limestone rock, which is very porous and dissolves when water runs through the little pockets in the rock. Eventually, the water table drops and 'voila' you have a cavern underground, with a thin layer of what appears to be solid ground on top. As the cavern gets bigger, your house sits on more and more unstable ground, until one morning, you wake up with your house in a hole. Hopefully, you are out of the house when this happens. That poor man in Florida fell into the hole, with the remains of his bedroom on top of him. The problem is not only in Florida, but in many states that have limestone as an underlayment rock. Oh yeah, and Kentucky is one of those state.
Now in New England, from where I hale, there isn't a problem with limestone. Oh no, they have solid GRANITE, which comes in pretty pink or blue hues. But those residents have their own problem. Their houses sit on pockets of RADON gas, which is very toxic and can seep into a house. So, I guess it is 'pick your poison.' You can fall into a hole and maybe go straight to hell, or you become sick with radon poisoning. Mother nature gets back at us in very devious ways.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

@Hmmmmmm. We are a motley crew here on the bird thread, and we WELCOME new arrivals to this thread. I personally hate "clicks" and would not remain on a thread for over two years if the folks here were like that. Please return and offer your gems of wisdom. As I always say, "The more the merrier." I'd welcome you with open arms, but unfortunately, our fingers are too busy tapping keyboards. Tap a few keys yourself and come on and join us. We talk about anything here, and our 'conversations' ebb and flow like the tides.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Oglala.. Internet seems fine but phone service still won't connect. I wonder if Windstream will be happy when I disconnect from the billing? LOL Let's see, 3 days is 10% of the month.
I tried that once, when we had only intermittent service for a whole month. It does not work. They would just as soon disconnect you permanently rather than pro rate a bill.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

I hate when my computer does that. Sometimes it's when I am doing an email and suddenly my computer loses its mind AND my email.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

RAPIDFIRE wrote:
looks like the sky did fall, not been out yet but looking out the window,seems it fell all over the trees and ground,and on the horses backs. and still fall'n rapidly. by the way, good morn'n ALL !
What kind of horses do you have. I used to race standardbreds in the Northeast, but have been out of the business for some time now. Then I had two very fine Tennessee Walkers, but they both were too much horse for me so I had to sell them. I have a gorgeous buckskin mare of unknown heritage, but she's sweet and sensible. I plan to have her trained in the spring. And last but not least is my grandson's Welch pony. He's up in his years, but he still moves gracefully.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Bye, folks I'll try to stop in later, when more folks are up and about.
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

I'm fairly new here myself, and glad to say that it's been alot of company for Me on these nasty days. I have Learned alot and most definately Laughed ALOT !
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

@ LALA; I have two tenn. walkers, one red one black. crazy critters won't go in the barn, they would rather play in the snow i guess...aah, they're built for it !

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

RAPIDFIRE wrote:
@ LALA; I have two tenn. walkers, one red one black. crazy critters won't go in the barn, they would rather play in the snow i guess...aah, they're built for it !
Those Tennessee Walkers are smooth gaited, aren't they. I hated to sell mine, but they went to a very good home and get the work that they needed. I'm not supposed to be riding because of a medical condition, but I will if I find a gentle, kid broke horse. I think that my mare will fit the bill. I will have her trained this spring. She is very sensible and not shy about new things. I just had to put down a dear old horse. We used to race him when he was young, and to make a long story short, I found him in Vermont and brought him to my farm in KY. He had 9 easy years here, with full retirement and all the hay he could eat. He was 27 years old when his painful arthritis got the best of him, and medication did not alleviate his pain. Our vet euthanized him and he is buried on the farm.
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Those Tennessee Walkers are smooth gaited, aren't they. I hated to sell mine, but they went to a very good home and get the work that they needed. I'm not supposed to be riding because of a medical condition, but I will if I find a gentle, kid broke horse. I think that my mare will fit the bill. I will have her trained this spring. She is very sensible and not shy about new things. I just had to put down a dear old horse. We used to race him when he was young, and to make a long story short, I found him in Vermont and brought him to my farm in KY. He had 9 easy years here, with full retirement and all the hay he could eat. He was 27 years old when his painful arthritis got the best of him, and medication did not alleviate his pain. Our vet euthanized him and he is buried on the farm.
Sorry for your loss. Its easy to get attached to them. I did'nt pick mine, they picked ME ! Losing an animal is the same as losing a loved one. really make me sick to see the horses on news that have been starved and abbused. the owners should face the same retribiution as if it were humans. I sure do enjoy mine, they're my buddies ! A little on the spoiled side , but they mind pretty good so I let'm have a LITTLE fun ! ha!ha!
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

@ NOPE; There's somethin' wrong with the world today , I don't know what it is , Somethin's wrong with our " EYES " , we're see'in things in a different way , and God knows it ain't His , IT shore ain't no surprise...Living on the edge...'by aerosmith'

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Oh, I babied mine. The standardbred racehorse that I recently put down was my baby. Even in his racing days, I would go into his stall. He would lie down and put his head in my lap. I owned him for 25 of his 27 years. He loved to race, but off the track, he was the biggest baby. Trainers told me that I would spoil that horse for racing, and don't be fussing over him. Well, it didn't interfere at all, and I think it made a better horse out of him. On the track,he was all business and had more share of wins. He rarely finished back of third place. When I took him off the track at 9 years, I retired him to my farm in Ma., but he had no company and he was still able to be used as a riding horse or cart horse. I donated him to a Racehorse retirement facility, and he was loaned out to others. When I moved to KY, I tracked him down through that farm and brought him home here.
I still grieve for his loss. He was like a child to me, and when you have an animal that long a time, it's so hard to let go. The vet said that I was doing the right thing, but I still question myself. Our worry was that he might lie down one day, and not be able to get up. And finding a vet on a quick notice is not easy. I did not want the scenario of him down and thrashing in a panic, not being able to get up. And that's why the vet an I decided to euthanize him. Have fun with your babies and spoil them all you can. Horses are such majestic creatures.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Well, Stein is waiting on the bed, head on pillow. I guess he's telling me that it's time for our short noontime nap. He's a dog, but he really thinks that he's human.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Good morning bird threaders. The sun came out and what little white stuff fell on the grass and cars it is gone. Just a chilly 30 degrees now. Birds still chirping for their feed. I was sitting in the chair with my first cup of coffee and seen them fluttering around the porch, in and out, in and out, I opened the door and found they were carrying off cat food morsels. hahaha Guess they are hungry. lol

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. I am going to go back and catch up on the post and see who showed up after I left last night.

Where is "Nope" and Hempburn?
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Oglala wrote:
Well, Stein is waiting on the bed, head on pillow. I guess he's telling me that it's time for our short noontime nap. He's a dog, but he really thinks that he's human.
Hi lala, have a nice nap. Still no sign of the brother. Sad story. I bet their neighbors are worried.

Still no sign of Fla. man swallowed by sinkhole

There was still no sign Saturday of a 37-year-old Florida man swallowed by a sinkhole that appeared under his bedroom, an official said, as engineers resumed testing on the unstable ground around the "chasm."

Jeffrey Bush has not been heard from since the hole appeared at about 11 p.m. ET Thursday in Seffner, near Tampa. He is feared to have been killed.

Authorities have said the hole, which was originally 30 feet deep, was “seriously unstable.” A 100-foot safety zone was set up around it Friday and homes near the hole were evacuated for fear of a sudden collapse.
Read more:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/02/17...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Hmmm wrote:
I guess, u have Got ur own click, just like society. Lol, guess I shall forget about asking where cheap bird seed is. I wasn't making fun of this forum, after reading a little bit, I thought hey these peeps are actually nice and decent, but I guess you have to be in with ya. No worries, I am quite use to being alone. Have a nice night anyway.
No need to be alone Hmmmm, we have carried this thread for over two years now because it isn't like the others. We make friends here, share info, stories, worry about each other, grieve when one departs permanently, and welcome newcomers. We tend to ignore the oneliners with ignorant comments and sometimes we address them depending on what kind of mood we are in.

I am sorry no one answered your question. I thought Roam would since she posts alot about buying seed and feeding the birds. The birds don't care if you buy it at Lowes, Home Depot, or the Feed Store. They eat anything. lol No need to pay more. I also scatter bread, dinner rolls, muffins, etc every couple days on the hill and it is gone in no time.

I hope to see you come back on and engage in some good conversations and learn as much as we do about what's going on in the world or just to catch a cute video to bring a smile to your face.

Have a great weekend.:)
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

ala, I hope your friend gets through her crisis. It is good she has you to lean on. Too bad she is far away and can't benefit a hug from a caring friend. It always helps me. Loved the cougar in the making comment. lol

AW, I am glad you are getting your internet and phone problems taken care of. I see they still can't decide if they want you in Lexington or Nicholasville. haha

Hello Blue, nice to see you drop in. We have been very lucky this winter compared to other states. I will be happy to say goodbye to it and get to the garden and flowers, sun warming my face, fresh air, everything green and blooming. I hope you have a safe trip wherever you are off to. I bet Scottsville is still reeling from losing Una. Threads must be down without his posts. Take care Blue, hope your Dad is recovering nicely.

Rapid, I am glad you joined us. I have enjoyed your posts. Hope you have a great day.

Have a great day everyone. I will check back later after I have scanned the news. Today is Wildcat game day @ 4 and so looking forward to some madness at Big Sis's house with family and friends. Good food, big laughs, and lots of UK cheers. lol GO BIG BLUE!!!

(sure miss my fellow Wildcat fans...LSD923 and Prepper) Hope they are doing good.
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

@ AB; thanks, and I looking forward to the game too . hope there's no overtime, don't know if heart can stand it ! haha, too bad we lost noel,but stein has stepped up alot,so has mays, now if wiltser would get off his lazy butt, don't know whats happened to him. but they will have their hands full today, GO CATS <> GO BIG BLUE !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

33 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Nothing Changes Projects 2 hr Truth 13
Robbery victim, suspect shot each other on Libe... 2 hr Truth 6
McConnell leads Grimes in Bluegrass Poll 3 hr Mustang Mike 2
2 people injured in shooting at Jackson Street,... 3 hr Mustang Mike 2
Majority of Kentucky voters oppose same-sex mar... 4 hr lgbt is silly 1
Mitch McConnell 4 hr really 26
Clinton to appear in Lexington, Hazard with Grimes 5 hr Robin 3
Carla Rebecca Rushing Stage Name Cody Lane Loui... (Jan '14) Jul 25 john 48
•••