Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,655)

Showing posts 73,081 - 73,100 of81,229
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
toopoor

Sebring, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Test
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Abeliever wrote:
@Hempburn, got this joke in an email and thought of those silly crows you had:
I heard that they found about 200 dead crows near Boston, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. They had a Bird Pathologist
examine the remains of all the crows, & he confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, to everyone's relief. However, he determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, & only 2% were killed by an impact with a car.
The State then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine the disproportionate percentages for truck versus car kill. The Ornithological Behaviourist determined the cause in short order. When crows eat road kill,
they always set-up a look-out Crow to warn of impending danger. His conclusion was that all the lookout crows could say "Cah", but none could
say "truck".
Una would probably laugh at that, even Big Stevie the jokeman.
I thought this was a genuine article. ROFL. Caw, Caw.That was dirty. Hehe. You sure could do comedy ;)
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

FRIED PAIR wrote:
<quoted text>
I prefer fried fish and chicken
Can't wait til the mushrooms come up.( dry land fish, hickory chickens ). bread them up with a good mess of catfish,(or chicken), crank up the deep fryer and drop it in ! along with some fried taters,green beans , squash, and corn , all out of the garden from last season. and maybe some good deer tenderloin, breaded up in ky colonel flower, fried real slow in an iron skillet till golden brown...hmmmmmmm...golden brown hickory chickens ! can't wait till spring. hunt and gather mushrooms , plant the garden, go fishing, go turkey hunt'n , Mmmmmmm...fried wild turkey and mushrooms !
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Sequester wrote:
Today is March 1 and is the day this thing called sequester is to take effect. Does anyone know why they call this sequester? Well it's just a fancy word for budget cuts just like the fiscal cliff was about a few months ago. They use these fancy terms (which most people don't know) just to confuse the common person and make him feel stupid so that people won't talk among one another about what the implications of this are. Kind of like how lawyers use words in contracts and briefs that they write. It's all meant to be confusing.
But just to let you know sequester simply means they will be cutting entitlements and social programs like food stamps, welfare, medicaid, teacher salaries, etc. So yes it is a very important subject however most people have no clue what's going on and will simply be surprised when this sequester happens.
Sequester is not that fancy a word. It simply means to isolate until something is accomplished, much like the Ancient Wolf sequesters his hens until they lay some eggs.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

@AB.. internet and phone keep coming and going, more going than anything. I might get this posted before it dies again. Maybe AT&T and Windstream will get the fibre-optic cable repaired sometime today. Apparently, it was interrupted by some construction. Cleaning house getting ready for a pizza and movie with my friend. Just hopped on here while the green lights on the modem say "GO" lol
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

good day all... Happy Friday..
We find greatest joy, not in getting, but in expressing what we are. Men do not really live for honors or for pay; their gladness is not the taking and holding, but in doing, the striving, the building, the living. It is a higher joy to teach than to be taught. It is good to get justice, but better to do it; fun to have things but more to make them. The happy man is he who lives the life of love, not for the honors it may bring, but for the life itself."
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

@Rapid I make a beer batter of a 1/3 of a beer, (cool the cook with the other 2/3s), condensed milk, flour, egg, and lots of pepper. Soak fish in that and then dip into a dry flour with so much more pepper that the flour looks dirty. Then deep fry with banana peppers and hush puppies. Corn on the cob and potatoes boiling together in a second propane cooker. all outdoors clean up with a water hose. LOL
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Sequester is not that fancy a word. It simply means to isolate until something is accomplished, much like the Ancient Wolf sequesters his hens until they lay some eggs.
ats right ! may be that they have a sequester on your phone lines. lol
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Rapid I make a beer batter of a 1/3 of a beer,(cool the cook with the other 2/3s), condensed milk, flour, egg, and lots of pepper. Soak fish in that and then dip into a dry flour with so much more pepper that the flour looks dirty. Then deep fry with banana peppers and hush puppies. Corn on the cob and potatoes boiling together in a second propane cooker. all outdoors clean up with a water hose. LOL
Dang-it AW , Now i'm hungry !

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

RAPIDFIRE wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, it does to me. God gave man dominion over the animals, even instructed which to eat and which not to. most people eat meat and fish. 80% of the countries on this planet eat goat meat. the very reason why goats sell for over a dolar per pound on the hoof at the stock sales. the U.S. now has too many people from all those countries,so goat sales are up. " shucks " when i was a kid you could buy a goat every day for five dolars. Eat pepperoni on your pizza ? don't eat goat myself,but did one time in dominican republic. Bhaaaaha ! but i do like my deer meat, and i take one every year to fill my freezer ! as do I the same with fish that i catch my self. why buy ? especially when you don't know what your getting anyway . we buy beef at the market thats been shot up with growth hormones, fed who knows what, not to mention all the preservatives and ect. Then they are slautered, then we eat them. thats what we do as a part of the food chain. myself i would rather take my chances on gathering my own food, wheather it be meat , fish , or nuts and berries. Mmmmm nuts and berries ! hope this was helpful to some or all . WE are what we eat !
I love animals, but I also agree with you. In some years, various animal species, including deer, overpopulate. They face weakness and starvation the following winter unless they are culled. I have no problem with sportsmen shooting deer (although I couldn't myself)as long as they used the deer meat. I don't abide by 'tropy hunting' where deer are killed for the head and the carcass is left to rot.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

RAPIDFIRE wrote:
<quoted text> Can't wait til the mushrooms come up.( dry land fish, hickory chickens ). bread them up with a good mess of catfish,(or chicken), crank up the deep fryer and drop it in ! along with some fried taters,green beans , squash, and corn , all out of the garden from last season. and maybe some good deer tenderloin, breaded up in ky colonel flower, fried real slow in an iron skillet till golden brown...hmmmmmmm...golden brown hickory chickens ! can't wait till spring. hunt and gather mushrooms , plant the garden, go fishing, go turkey hunt'n , Mmmmmmm...fried wild turkey and mushrooms !
I always have trouble cooking deer meat. It is tasty, but tough. What's the best way to cook venison?
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I love animals, but I also agree with you. In some years, various animal species, including deer, overpopulate. They face weakness and starvation the following winter unless they are culled. I have no problem with sportsmen shooting deer (although I couldn't myself)as long as they used the deer meat. I don't abide by 'tropy hunting' where deer are killed for the head and the carcass is left to rot.
Exactly , RIGHT in the ole bulls-eye, I agree 100 %

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Legitimate hunters, I have no problem with but I will NOT allow hunting on my own property at any time, for any reason. My area is still overrun with poachers though, no matter what time of year it is. So I have a couple of very reliable and low cost trail cams out now. And yes, it's posted.

If you'd have run across the young baby deer last year on my property that I did? You'd have puked on the spot.

It appeared to have been at most, only about a week old. I had been hearing gunshots out there in the hills for days previous to finding it, but I couldn't locate any vehicles to report. Things echo around here, so it was even too hard to get a bead on where the gunshots where coming from. There were no sounds of dogs barking, so I already knew they weren't coon hunting out there.

So I was only left to assume that some testosterone filled, great white hunter out there had shot and killed it's mother, leaving that little thing to fend for itself. And of course, it was much too small to do so. It was just hours dead when I found it. The buzzards had just located it before I did. I followed the buzzards flight and landings, knowing that something was dead down there.. Little did I know that it would be such a heartbreaking scene.

Finding it's tiny little body on my property did two things to me:
It made me sick to my stomach knowing it had been out there and I didn't know about it so I could have helped it.
And secondly:
It made me hate poachers even worse then I ever have before.

Responsible hunters are becoming very few in my part of Kentucky but I respect the licensed hunters because they obey the laws, they eat what they kill, etc. They don't come up on private property at any time.

These illegal hunters who are nothing short of murderous jack asses that don't respect nature? Not a bit of respect from me. They can all rot in hell. All they want to do is KILL so they can drag the corpse into town and then brag to their buddies "Looky here! I got me one, boys"....
(Can't you just hear those Busch lite beer cans snapping open over that mother deers dead carcass right now, all while her baby was out in the woods alone and starving? I picture that as they were probably patting 'the great white hunter' on the back for his 'hunting skill')??

With great joy, I'd de-nut that man in a heartbeat if I could ever find him.

I still mourn that poor little baby deer, dead just about 100 feet from my front door. I'll never get over the sight. It hurts me to type this story.
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I always have trouble cooking deer meat. It is tasty, but tough. What's the best way to cook venison?
From my experiance, the "Tuffness" starts at the taking of the animal, or (the kill). If it's not a good,clean shot , then the muscles tense up , causing the meat to be tough. as with the taking of any animal,such as a chicken for example. thats why grandma always took the head off and let them flop around the yard,so they would "Bleed-out" . as far as cooking deer meat, my favorite way is to simply sprinkle it down good with white pepper, put a little oil in the skillet and fry it real slow with a lid on it. no breading and NO salt, the salt will dry it out and make it tough. salt it after its done. hint; a little tenderizer doesent hurt ! and the main thing is, don't over cook it. deer meat has no fat, another reason that it's healthy ... Happy hunting !(or cooking) heeheehee !
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Not Rapid, but taking advantage of internet while it is up. Deer meat has less fat and I dont find it to be tough when slow cooked. I have had some beef roasts that were much more tough. I soak mine in milk and a small amount of white vinegar, then rewash the meat before cooking. A 1/2 of an onion cooked in with the meat helps tenderize it. I also do that with beef.

Then I like to remove the meat and slice it thin and serve with mashed potatoes and brown gravy like a roast beef manhattan. I use the McCormick's brown gravy mix.

You folks have a good night. I am off now to fix a pizza to enjoy with my friend.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

from no interent to a double. LOL
lol

Berea, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

hahaha
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

NOPE; hey; I agree and can relate to the poaching. we have the same problem around these here hills. thats why we have the dept. of fish & wildlife,and hunting SEASONS. when deer season comes in the fall,the babies are 5 to 6 mnths old and already weaned by their mother in order for her to come in heat and be bred again,(the rut). thats why the dept. of F/W sets the dates for hunting ,and being different for diff. species. it all revolves around each species breeding periods. such as the spring turkey season is after the breeding period and you can only take a TOM, because the hens are setting eggs or already have hatchlings. but to the poachers I say , Better not let ME catch you. its infringeing on MY rights and priviledges !
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
from no interent to a double. LOL
That WAS funny ! so i guess the moral of the story is ; Don't cook RAPIDLY !
tbone

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Who,s got the bird fetish what,s up with bird,s this has to be the long,est thread ontopix jee,s it,s been on here forever

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 73,081 - 73,100 of81,229
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Louisville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Louisville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Louisville People Search