Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,680

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#86624 Feb 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
My internet has been coming and going since early this morning and I do not have any phone service at all. I have DSL through Windstream. Wonder if the dog messed on the line this morning? LOL
I had some pretty strong winds over this way yesterday afternoon and evening, AW. Could you have a loose wire over your way maybe? It really was whipping things around outside on my property. And if I'm not mistaken, you're a bit northeast of me, right? It was all heading east from what the radar was showing. Hope it gets fixed, whatever is causing it!

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#86626 Feb 27, 2013
Just watching the birds again. Sounds like we will get some snow today. Hope the birds are ready.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#86627 Feb 27, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Seen this story and had to read it. AW, I am sure you take any guns to town with dog do you? haha
Florida man shot by his dog, police say
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/26/17...
hahaha! what he gets for not being a responsible gun owner. i have those kind of gun toting distant relatives that no one claims that habitually shoot them selves in their own foot every once in a while.
really burns me up the stupid few have to make a spectacle of themselves at a time when responsible gun owners really need to make an good examples of them selves. i like the whole no charges have been filed against the dog but i hope the idiot who didnt even know what kind of gun he had on him gets a nice big fine and some community service. people are ridiculous. same thing with pit bull owners, the ridiculous few have to go and ruin it all for the responsible majority......same for shop lifting, tax evaders, and litterbugs.:) end soap box.
i forgot to look for the holes on my way in this morning but i did come that way on the way back this afternoon.... but i didnt see them.... i dont know if i knew where i was looking..... maybe if i could get blueminer to give me some more details. i was pretty sure she said west but was traveling south bound which would be east if her west where to her left or did she mean west as in california, cause that would be right while going south bound, which would make it the opposite if i were coming back home north bound. idk before or after the "hell is real" sign... which i think says something different now....... before of after the s curves of death..... cornfused.
hope every one else having a good night.
a.w. your get best best gas mileage in the country right now ...lol
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#86628 Feb 27, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I had some pretty strong winds over this way yesterday afternoon and evening, AW. Could you have a loose wire over your way maybe? It really was whipping things around outside on my property. And if I'm not mistaken, you're a bit northeast of me, right? It was all heading east from what the radar was showing. Hope it gets fixed, whatever is causing it!
i once paid wind stream like seventy dollars for a service call to my house because my Internet was going in and out..... they came out while hubby and i were both gone and did work on the lines and when we came back that evening we realized, that their way of fixing things was to tie a black hefty bag around a box on the pole and duct tape it real good, which did not fix the problem. i have Comcast now. their service is not very reliable either, but hen you ask whats wrong they just say "we dont know".... comforting honesty :)
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#86629 Feb 27, 2013
munchkins will no longer tolerate waiting patiantly for their snack. have a good afternoon

#86630 Feb 27, 2013
Well, my bird didn't fall, but it went missing.
(One of them did anyway). I heard another ruckus out there this afternoon. A lot of sudden cackling, clucking, squawking, wings flapping and screeching. So I grabbed my 20 gage, slipped on my steal toed rubber boots, and ran out the back door.

After an exhaustive search around the fenced property where they hang out every day, one featherhead was gone. Not a trace of her to be found. I was looking for my favorite hen in the flock. She's the one that was M.I.A.

I went back in the house and slipped my .38 into the pocket of my jacket to take along with the 20 gage, and then headed out into the woods.

By this time, I'm beat down like an old rug....

I walked almost everywhere back in there that I could get to without breaking my neck falling down in the mud and wet leaves. The only thing I could imagine was that a hawk or eagle had gotten her and flown over toward the river, because I found no trace of her whatsoever.

Eventually I just got pissed off, stopped looking, and shot my .38 and the 20 gage off for about half an hour. Heck, I was out there anyway, right? And I was mad, really mad. I figured that something airborne had to have carried her away and I'd never see her again. So I trudge home all dejected.

But what do I see when I get back? That Houdini of a featherhead, strutting her stuff like she'd never been gone. There she is standing on the back porch in all of her glory... I put the guns down and stood there just staring at her for a minute in disbelief..
Until I looked over by the shed..

She's apparently scratched just enough of a space underneath of the lattice work that she's the only one who fits under it so far. So she's found her way to a private egg laying/hiding place.. I see just under a dozen eggs back in there. So she's been doing this for a while now and I wasn't aware of it. She's always roosting right with the rest of the flock at night and she comes out of the coop every morning for breakfast. Whatever they all do during the daylight hours is just their "chicken stuff"....

Where she's been spending her days and what she put me through today would make for an excellent David Allen Coe song.... That shameless, feathered hussy.

Oh yeah: I just fixed that lattice work too. She'll not be getting under there again.

Just had a hot shower, put on clean P.Jammies, I'm brewing a nice cup of coffee, and then I'll spend time cleaning and reloading the .38 and 20 gage for 'the next time'.

Man, what a day. So much for planned chores, huh? And I tore a hole in the britches of my fave P.Jammies on a thorn bush while I was out in the woods looking for her too..

Darned featherhead..

#86631 Feb 27, 2013
betty wrote:
<quoted text>
i once paid wind stream like seventy dollars for a service call to my house because my Internet was going in and out..... they came out while hubby and i were both gone and did work on the lines and when we came back that evening we realized, that their way of fixing things was to tie a black hefty bag around a box on the pole and duct tape it real good, which did not fix the problem. i have Comcast now. their service is not very reliable either, but hen you ask whats wrong they just say "we dont know".... comforting honesty :)
Betty, Wind Stream and I have been battling back and forth for almost 4 years over a bill that I DON'T OWE THEM. I had phone service with them for ONLY two weeks, and had canceled the order for internet and cable that after I went with a bundled package from another provider because Wind Stream told me they couldn't make it out here for another two weeks to install the cable and internet service...
(The other provider that gave me a better deal, made it out here the same day I called them)...

BUT GET THIS: Six month later, I get a bill in the mail for well over $600.00!! They say I owe them for 6 months of cable and internet! I never even HAD cable and internet with then! ROFLMBO!! I can PROVE that I never had it installed and they have NO signature of proof that an installer was ever at my house! I have proof in writing that I had another provider at that time for the services! So Wind Stream is about to get a court summons.... Fact.

Maybe I should take them a plastic garbage bag? HEHE!!

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#86632 Feb 27, 2013
Well, some snow flurries, but nothing serious...the birds seem to be happy about that.

#86633 Feb 27, 2013
Nothing here yet, Roaming. Just some drizzle. But gosh is it getting cold!!
Samson

Winchester, KY

#86634 Feb 27, 2013
RAPIDFIRE wrote:
<quoted text> but what about an extremist leader that would invite armagadden ?
who is the only country to have ever dropped a nuclear bomb on another country?...the United States
what country has the most nuclear weapons in the Middle East?...Israel
what country dictates the foreign policy of the United States?...Israel

so which country do you think is likely to initiate nuclear armageddon? Ever heard of the 'Samson Option'? Guess which country has threatened the entire world with this option? Now you know who the real extremists are.
Imposter

London, KY

#86635 Feb 27, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Imposter. I feel the same way you do, I think lala and AW miss him too. He was a hoot.
I hope you are doing well and not missing the little one too much. They really grow on you. Like you and Una..lol
Have a wonderful Wednesday!!! Hurry back.
I'm fine sweets, and I hope you're doing well. I do get to watch the little monster every now and again, but you're right, I do miss him and worry about him, cant help it.

You guy's take care of yourselves.
I wont be posting much for a while, took a part time job to help fight boredom and build up my retirement fund.
The old change jar is nearly empty.
So long for now.

#86636 Feb 27, 2013
Best of luck on the new part time job, Imposter! I mean that.

I'm also sorry about your loss of Mr. Farter. I know you two enjoyed talking on here. I know you can't stand me, and I'm fine with that, but I really AM sorry you lost your online friend. Many miss him and are sad about his passing. Believe it or not, I didn't do jumping jacks over the terrible news either.
(Just trying to be nice in your time of loss)...

_-_Nope_-_
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86637 Feb 27, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>I'm fine sweets, and I hope you're doing well. I do get to watch the little monster every now and again, but you're right, I do miss him and worry about him, cant help it.
You guy's take care of yourselves.
I wont be posting much for a while, took a part time job to help fight boredom and build up my retirement fund.
The old change jar is nearly empty.
So long for now.
Hi Imposter, so glad you get to have some time with him. I hope you enjoy your job. I am doing the same thing. Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially if you only have one rocking chair on the porch. hahaha

You take care of yourself as well and please drop in from time to time and let know how you and the little guy are doing. Best of luck in filling that change jar up again. Mine is an empty water cooler jug. Holds alot.

Have a good time at whatever you are doing. We will miss you. You know with Una gone and you bailing on us, Ancient Wolf is the rooster in the hen house here. haha Jk.:)
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86638 Feb 27, 2013
Betty, "Nope", your stories were killing me. Much laughter. Thanks. I am glad you enjoyed that silly video. People, sometimes their animals are smarter than they are. lol

btw, betty, blue is a man, drives trucks for a living, use to fight with Una like we did but buried the hatchet as he did with us.

true, I loved your little poem about "my people".

AW, you still in Lexington? haha

Tonight is UK vs Miss St @ 8, Rupp Arena, so I will be intensely involved in the ball game with my son/girlfriend, my neice and nephew here. Must prepare snacks. Veggie tray, dip, chips! GO UK!:)

We had a few flurries earlier, just cold now. Might get a dusting tonight though. Nothing drastic. Hopefully, it will hit the Ohio River and send it on up to Indiana and Ohio. haha
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86639 Feb 27, 2013
This thing is creepy. I would freak out if I reeled that thing in while fishing. Check it out. Vampire fish. lol

Monster Sea Creature in New Jersey

Published on Feb 26, 2013

MYFOXNY.COM - Photos of a massive sea creature that may be a sea lamprey have gone viral online. A man identified as Doug Cutler apparently shot the beast with his bow and arrow and fished it out of a body of water in New Jersey, according to postings on Reddit and Facebook. Wildlife experts have said the animal resembles a sea lamprey. They are found in freshwater lakes in New York, such as the Finger Lakes, and New Jersey, but are considered pests in the Great Lakes.

The lamprey is parasitic; it uses a suction mouth to attach to a host fish and then feeds on the host's fluids, according to the New York Department of Environmental Conservation.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#86641 Feb 27, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Nothing here yet, Roaming. Just some drizzle. But gosh is it getting cold!!
Yes indeed the snow didn't last, and what fell was gone soon. I heard about Friday having more snow. I thought that durn ground hog said "early Spring". Fibbing little rodent.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86642 Feb 27, 2013
Awww, my little thread hopping hater slamming the icons on me. hahaha I guess they can't stand cordial conversations and topix friendships. They stomp in and out the hate sites. It shows.

Anyway, I am off to prepare for Game Night but thought I would leave a couple things for my topix friends. I will be back later after the game. So enjoy today's edition of Godvine. You can't help but smile.

Best Compilation Video of Babies Laughing at Dogs

Babies do the most darling things! Lighten your spirit and improve your day by watching these precious children laugh at the silly things dogs do... their laughter is so contagious!

http://www.godvine.com/Best-Compilation-Video...

Enjoy!! GO UK!!!

#86643 Feb 27, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
<quoted text>Yes indeed the snow didn't last, and what fell was gone soon. I heard about Friday having more snow. I thought that durn ground hog said "early Spring". Fibbing little rodent.
Little varmints know how to make a living, don't they? Look how fat and sassy old Punxsutawney Phil is... That critter eats better than most of us do, no doubt. Who's idea was that anyway, to trust a whistle pig and his shadow?

I say we should trust the Old Farmers Almanac. On that same note, I don't recall it ever mentioning a big fat rodent as one of their contributing consultants, LOL!!!
http://www.almanac.com/content/long-range-win...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86644 Feb 27, 2013
Being Green...

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truly recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property,(the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.

But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house --not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-ass young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Seen this posted on FB, thought it was awesome and so very true. I know AW should appreciate it, as well as other. Like the last sentence. haha

Have a good night everyone!!

C-A-T-S, CATS, CATS, CATS!!!

#86646 Feb 27, 2013
Have a fun night, AB. Sometimes I wish I could have gotten more into sports. I just never was able to grasp the excitement of it all.

Probably because my Dad didn't watch sports until after he was well into his retirement.. He worked too many hours during his prime to do much more than eat and sleep, then go back to work to do it all over again.. He'd work two jobs at a time for as long as I can remember. Most times he held a weekend job on top of that, too. He was a good man and did everything he had to in order to provide for us. I miss him and think of him every single day.

I'm sure Mr Farters daughter does the same now too...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2 police officers indicted by Meade Co. grand jury (Mar '14) 9 min ignorant 33
plus size group of louisville Facebook 9 hr skinny 2
wave 3 former derrick jones? (Aug '13) 10 hr unknown 43
Not familiar 18 hr anon 1
Man charged with traveling to bowling green to ... (Feb '08) 19 hr EricaD310 6
Will You Be Voting Republican? 21 hr Pale Rider 47
Josh Young arrested twice in same day Fri Ronzo 1
Louisville Dating
Find my Match

Louisville Jobs