Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,598)

Showing posts 71,941 - 71,960 of81,549
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
moe bad

Glen Ellyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

so true wrote:
I have one hen , that from gettin run over, can not fly up to roost anymore. So she sleeps in the dog house , with my 160 pound lab. Thank the lord he thinks of her as a sleepin buddy and not a chew toy. When morn comes she joins the rest of the chicks. Such a cute sight...
gota be the smartest bird in the flock ,..
aint no critter EVER gona homp down on her !
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
Betty Crocker Triple Fudge chocolate cake mix, daughter and I had one for the b.dy. Just had to purchase another and homemade chocolate frosting:) Yum.Almost good as homemade cheesecake which I found turns out well if you use sour cream and heavy whipping cream with the cream cheese. I baked one for the holidays. It was to die for.
Haven't tried the triple fudge yet. I like to make the Hershey's Cocoa frosting but always buy the Betty Crocker when it is on sale and I have coupons just in case. It is a habit from all those school functions I use to volunteer for. I miss them. He may be in his 20's now but he will stop by after work just to get his ration. I always bake and then share with him, his girlfriend and my brother who has no one to cook or bake for him. He appreciates it. That cheesecake does sound to die for. Ummmm I love cheesecake.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Abeliever wrote:
Cluster of 35 ancient pyramids unearthed in Sudan
Jam-packed 2,000-year-old necropolis may have been influenced by Egyptian rituals
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50719069/ns/technol...
Seems like there are a lot of things being "unearthed" these days. Ships, remains, skulls, now pyramids.
I saw something on the tv the other day which they say makes it easier to locate things than before, it is ground penetrating radar where they can pin point the digging areas.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

FOR THE BIRDS:

World’s oldest known living wild bird gives birth at age 62

Wisdom's mate attends to their newborn chick, while the mother was out at sea.(Live Science)
The oldest known living wild bird in the world has given birth to a healthy hatchling. The 62-year-old bird,“Wisdom,” last made headlines in 2011, when the albatross survived the aftermath of the Japanese tsunami.

Wisdom has defied the odds in many aspects: She’s already lived nearly twice as long as the average Laysan albatross. She was given her name after being tagged by a U.S. Geological Survey researcher in 1956. The USGS said in a statement that since being tagged, Wisdom has flown an estimated 2 million to 3 million miles, or “four to six trips from the Earth to the Moon and back again with plenty of miles to spare.”

“To know that she can still successfully raise young at age 60-plus, that is beyond words,” USGS bird banding program chief Bruce Peterjohn said.“While the process of banding a bird has not changed greatly during the past century, the information provided by birds marked with a simple numbered metal band has transformed our knowledge of birds.”

And while there have been other albatross birds spotted in the wild who are estimated to be around 50 years old, Wisdom is the only one on record to have given birth at such an advanced age. Though, some scientists may have seen the feat coming, when Wisdom gave birth two years ago to another chick, and has given birth to a total of five chicks since 2006.

“While I have grown old and gray and get around only with the use of a cane, Wisdom still looks and acts just the same as on the day I banded her,” said retired USGS scientist Chandler Robbins, who was in his 40s when he first banded Wisdom in 1956.

In 2001, Robbins “rediscovered” Wisdom, helping the USGS determine her age and track her record-setting reproductive habits.

Because the Laysan albatross mates for life, USGS officials estimate that Wisdom has had to take on several “much younger” male partners over the years to help foster an estimated 35 chicks.

“I’m trying to straighten out the record,” Robbins said.“It takes a lot.”

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/world-ol...

Now that's a tough old bird. lol
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw something on the tv the other day which they say makes it easier to locate things than before, it is ground penetrating radar where they can pin point the digging areas.
You mean HAARP? hahaha Yea, watching them roam the desert on CSI locating bodies from 20 years ago shows you the progress in technology for about everything. It is amazing all the different things thought to long lost being discovered.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

well Good Night Folks, I am off here to go catch my 9 pm tv listings and see if I want to watch anything or just watch the inside of my eyelids.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
For lala:
I always hate to be reminded of ironing. Ugh. I like their replacement better.
Out with the iron, in with the cat: Monopoly has a new token
(CNN)-- The iron's out and the cat's in Hasbro's latest update to its iconic Monopoly board game, the company announced Wednesday.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/06/living/monopoly...
I saw that. I have 9 cats at present,and all are accounted for. The indoor cats monopolize the bed, and between Stein and usually 4 cats, there is little room for me.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
well Good Night Folks, I am off here to go catch my 9 pm tv listings and see if I want to watch anything or just watch the inside of my eyelids.
Goodnight Ancient Wolf. I am off to watch my favorite, Person of Interest while recording Beauty and the Beast. My favorites on Thursday, plus the Big Bang Theory.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw that. I have 9 cats at present,and all are accounted for. The indoor cats monopolize the bed, and between Stein and usually 4 cats, there is little room for me.
I have 2 indoor and the one outdoors. I love cats, they are so sweet and just too funny.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Just popped in for a minute to say hello. Will be back in the morning, I hope. I've been watching the inside of my eyelids quite a bit lately.
kevin

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Tragic......

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php...
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a teen, I went home with some girl for Sunday dinner and her grandpa took out his fake eye and put it in my soup. I never asked her for another date after that. He was a character though, when he dropped it in my soup, he said "Boy, I got my eye on you". LOL
Yea, that's a thing I'd forgotten about, I guess we all knew that odd friend or family member with the fake eye as a kid. Thanks for poking at another suppressed memory for me, lol.
moe bad

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

sweet brown -
i aint got time for this B.S.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Well, it's been a LONG week!! Glad the birds are doing good.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, that's a thing I'd forgotten about, I guess we all knew that odd friend or family member with the fake eye as a kid. Thanks for poking at another suppressed memory for me, lol.
What's up Hempburn? We were worried about you. How was your Super Bowl weekend? Did you and biscuit go to New Orleans to watch it? haha In case you didn't go back, our Una farter passed away last Thursday not long after he was chatting up bird threaders in the early am not long before he apparently had a heart attack. He sure loved your reports. We are all missing him, except maybe one or two. Who would of thought we would miss that old fart when he first invaded this thread last April. Huh?
Girl

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

The environment and climate has changed so much in the past 20 yrs
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

looks as if everyone has gone off to bed.

spent the day out side, pulling out all the dead stuff so hopefully i will have somethings that grow back.

who ever owned this place before me must have put alot of thought on what they planted and where. last year we noticed as soon as something stopped blooming, something else started.

if i could just keep the maples from trying to grow up the side i think i wouldnt have to touch it.

also patched the roof today. hope it has time to set up before it rains.

goodnight:)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
So you liked the story that every kid has told at least once LOL Welcome back So now you want to hear about my fish? LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

@Hempburn.. I went fishing one time and ran out of bait. So I looked in my wallet and found a picture of a worm and put that on my hook and caught a picture of a fish. LOL

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Guess all went to bed, even the birds, but not me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 71,941 - 71,960 of81,549
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

43 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Louisville, KY (Jul '10) 12 min Hate insanity love the in 273
Mitch McConnell 5 hr Kirsten Kukowski 21
ann luckett dentist 5 hr me 9
Why are Louisville drivers so bad?? (Sep '08) 6 hr LouisvilleKYreport 12
LMPD finds body of a man in rock quarry near So... 6 hr LouisvilleKYreport 3
Louisville doctor facing charges for prescripti... (Jun '12) 6 hr Steven 9
Who is Alison Lundergan Grimes? 7 hr Kirsten Kukowski 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Louisville Jobs

•••