Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81695 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#83570 Jan 24, 2013
well it is midnight here, may be time for another couple hours of sleeping. Take Care and talk to you later.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#83572 Jan 25, 2013
Nothing posted since Una and I left here 6 hours ago with our chili leaving Pastor Fat Wallet and Sybil all alone with their deep, dark thoughts on how to influence the world with a Topix thread.

Maybe they will have better luck when the congregation is not worrying about impending bad weather.

Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#83573 Jan 25, 2013
Good morning bird threaders..ah Ancient Wolf at least. Frozen with ice mixed with snow in this neck of Kentucky. Schools out all around the area. Brrrrrrrr

I fell asleep before the chili discussion. haha

I hope all of you are staying warm, staying off the roads, and are safe. Must have coffee. Be right back.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#83574 Jan 25, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Good morning bird threaders..ah Ancient Wolf at least. Frozen with ice mixed with snow in this neck of Kentucky. Schools out all around the area. Brrrrrrrr
I fell asleep before the chili discussion. haha
I hope all of you are staying warm, staying off the roads, and are safe. Must have coffee. Be right back.
Good Morning, Nothing here except cold temps with forecast for it to approach around noon to 5 pm. Lexington weather guy says it is mainly I-65 and westward.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#83575 Jan 25, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Good morning bird threaders..ah Ancient Wolf at least. Frozen with ice mixed with snow in this neck of Kentucky. Schools out all around the area. Brrrrrrrr
I fell asleep before the chili discussion. haha
I hope all of you are staying warm, staying off the roads, and are safe. Must have coffee. Be right back.
Son has his 18 wheeler parked on I-65 and sitting in a truck stop drinking coffee and waiting it out.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#83576 Jan 25, 2013
Freezing rain is still falling, the road is coated with ice. I65 shut down south of Louisville. Wrecks everywhere. My sister said her husband had to come back home and take a vacation day due to shutdown and treacherous roads. Poor birdies. I will have to go out and throw them some bread and leftover blueberry muffins when I fill the bird feeder. I felt sorry for the fat gray boy I have been feeding for a couple years. All wet and frozen looking pitiful when I opened the door. I had to put the girls up stairs and let him in to get warm and dry. He is in hog heaven curled up on a blanket at my feet. Happy to be out of it. I hardly ever let him in but this morning will be one of them. That 60 degree temp coming next week sounds awfully good about now. Of course, I don't have to go anywhere, so I will just stay in and stay warm. I hope you are spared.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#83578 Jan 25, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Son has his 18 wheeler parked on I-65 and sitting in a truck stop drinking coffee and waiting it out.
Glad to hear that. This afternoon it is all suppose to be gone. I hope Blueminer isn't out in it. Everything is coated with ice. Parts of I65 is shut down both directions south of Elizabethtown due to ice.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#83579 Jan 25, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to hear that. This afternoon it is all suppose to be gone. I hope Blueminer isn't out in it. Everything is coated with ice. Parts of I65 is shut down both directions south of Elizabethtown due to ice.
Yeah, that is why he is parked and drinking coffee and watching tv in the trucker's lounge. I don't need to go anywhere either except to go out and make sure the wood stack is covered with plastic and the chickens have plenty to eat. I will do that now before anything rolls in here. I guess the chickens will have to be content to stay in the warm dry barn.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#83580 Jan 25, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that is why he is parked and drinking coffee and watching tv in the trucker's lounge. I don't need to go anywhere either except to go out and make sure the wood stack is covered with plastic and the chickens have plenty to eat. I will do that now before anything rolls in here. I guess the chickens will have to be content to stay in the warm dry barn.
I am glad I don't have to go anywhere either. I hope you are spared all this mess. I shiver just looking out the window. lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#83581 Jan 25, 2013
AB.. freezing rain just now started while I was taking care of the chickens, gathering in my wood, and making sure the wind had not blown the plastic off the stash. If there is a power outtage I will be better off than most people. I can close off the rest of the house and dog and I can stay in the main room with the wood stove.

My kitchen and living area once was 3 little rooms, but I tore all that out and made one long room with the kitchen in one end, living area in the other and the dining room in the middle with the wood stove off on the back wall behind the dining area. I used old bricks for the flooring under the stove and all the way to the entrance and half way up the wall with old barn lumber above the bricks. I can pack in wood from my stash and keep plenty on the brick work right in the house and not worry about debris or hot coals. Simple living. Have a good day and stay warm. I plan to regardless of the weather.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#83582 Jan 25, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
AB.. freezing rain just now started while I was taking care of the chickens, gathering in my wood, and making sure the wind had not blown the plastic off the stash. If there is a power outtage I will be better off than most people. I can close off the rest of the house and dog and I can stay in the main room with the wood stove.
My kitchen and living area once was 3 little rooms, but I tore all that out and made one long room with the kitchen in one end, living area in the other and the dining room in the middle with the wood stove off on the back wall behind the dining area. I used old bricks for the flooring under the stove and all the way to the entrance and half way up the wall with old barn lumber above the bricks. I can pack in wood from my stash and keep plenty on the brick work right in the house and not worry about debris or hot coals. Simple living. Have a good day and stay warm. I plan to regardless of the weather.
Freezing rain gone now, snow takes it's place. Light snow. I know you did a lot of work on the homestead, I like the open space you describe. I hope you and dog have a warm and peaceful day. Cable is acting up so I suspect internet may go next. I hope not, but I have plenty to read or do if it does. I prefer to stay snuggled with the electric blanket, watching cable and surfing the internet. haha

Have a good one.:)
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#83583 Jan 25, 2013
Texas
Magnitude: 4.5
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php...

You can see all the mess in the Ohio Valley on the map too.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#83584 Jan 25, 2013
For "concerned" in Bullitt County, I seen this and it might explain some of what you heard. It is also been said that rock quarries in the area have "booms" that can be heard or felt in several surrounding counties due to low lying clouds that spread the sound. But here is a recent story about the same time you heard it. It might be what you experienced too:

Confusion in Corbin over fake "quake"

CORBIN, Ky.(WKYT)- It's been described as an explosion, an earthquake, a thunder roll, or even as small as a car crash. Some say there was one tremor, others say two, one resident said they felt three violent shakes, and yet some say they didn't feel anything at all.

While the reports vary, the reality is something rattled Corbin around midday on Wednesday.
"Just a couple of seconds, it didn't last long," described Christopher Day, "I thought it was thunder and I looked up in the sky and, of course, it was sunny and cold out. It couldn't be thunder."
But Day wasn't the only one to feel it, Deanna Rains said dishes began falling into her sink.

"I actually had my coffee pot break from my refrigerator," said Rains, "I was thinking oh my god, is my trailer going to fall apart? Or is the ground going to split open or something? I mean it was horrible!"

The Whitley County 911 Call Center made a map estimating the locations of callers to 911 centers in their county as well as in Laurel, Knox and McCreary counties. The tremors were that widespread.

"We've yet to determine what this was. It sounded like a minor earthquake, but we can't get it verified," answered Sheriff Colan Harrell.

So, was it an earthquake? If anyone would know it'd be the UK Geological Survey.

"I took a look through our records and so far I haven't seen anything that does not look uncharacteristic. There's a of activity but that's normal," explained Seth Carpenter, adding he believes it was likely a mine blast on the surface level, and did not register on their seismology readouts.
So was it an explosion?

I called several mining companies to see if they were blasting in the area that could explain the shaking. They all denied it, saying their blasts are typically smaller and kept to a mile-wide radius.

Danny Moses, the Whitley County Emergency Management Director, said he began trying to solve the mystery as soon as it happened. He checked every possible blasting site, and said he still had not found the answer.
So the mystery continues.

"There could also be something else going on," estimated Carpenter.

"I still have no idea. It was definitely something," stated Day.

Moses said he has not found any major damage to the area. Still, those who felt the tremors want answers, but for now they'll have to wait.

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/Confusion-...

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#83585 Jan 25, 2013
Good morning AB & AW. It's slicker than greased owl poop here. All freezing rain. Got a set of studded radial snow tires on my truck if I have to go. I hope I don't have to for some unforseen reason. Lol.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#83587 Jan 25, 2013
Good morning Teddy. I hope you don't have to go anywhere either. We are pretty much shut down in my area. Not much movement out there. Just some light snow that looks like it is slowing down now too. Looks like a good "chili" day! haha I have had my chili day this week so I think I am going to make some vegetable beef stew and have grilled cheese sandwiches with them for dinner.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#83591 Jan 25, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Good morning Teddy. I hope you don't have to go anywhere either. We are pretty much shut down in my area. Not much movement out there. Just some light snow that looks like it is slowing down now too. Looks like a good "chili" day! haha I have had my chili day this week so I think I am going to make some vegetable beef stew and have grilled cheese sandwiches with them for dinner.
Good day for homemade soup and Grilled cheeze sandwiches. I just remembered something funny from yesterdays grocery store trip. At Save A Lot I had just loaded my groceries & started up the truck. I looked out over this vacant lot and saw this guy in his back yard. The best I could tell It was a very large clomp of this decorative grass. All of a sudden this guy sets it on fire, with the wind yesterday it went wild. This guy starts jumping around and looks like he's doing a Wautusi war dance. Lol. Apparently sparks had caught some dried moody grass on fire. He was all excited dancing and stomping and flames from the large fire were lapping at his backside. It was a free show and funny too. LOL.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#83592 Jan 25, 2013
I'm just wondering why so many people are on pins and needles? There have been sonic booms from aircraft breaking the sound barrier ever since I was a little kid. They would rattle the windows in a house. Believe me that has been a long time ago. I still don't know they did it in those bi-planes. LOL.
HilLogic

Manchester, KY

#83594 Jan 25, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I had read that exact story earlier in the month with the Bullitt County poster talking about the boom. I live between the Louisville Airport and Fort Knox airfield and I have never heard such a sound. We use to blame all booms on Fort Knox, but since the Armor Center moved to Georgia there is very little tank activity on that post if any. There are rock quarries around the area so I am inclined to believe those blast may be what people are hearing in this area. Thanks for the sites. Let us know if you hear or see anything different.
Have a great day!
I will be happy to just that. I enjoy reading the posts on this thread; it gives me the warm fuzzies most of the time.:-)
I hope you have a great day as well!
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#83595 Jan 25, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Good day for homemade soup and Grilled cheeze sandwiches. I just remembered something funny from yesterdays grocery store trip. At Save A Lot I had just loaded my groceries & started up the truck. I looked out over this vacant lot and saw this guy in his back yard. The best I could tell It was a very large clomp of this decorative grass. All of a sudden this guy sets it on fire, with the wind yesterday it went wild. This guy starts jumping around and looks like he's doing a Wautusi war dance. Lol. Apparently sparks had caught some dried moody grass on fire. He was all excited dancing and stomping and flames from the large fire were lapping at his backside. It was a free show and funny too. LOL.
Hahaha, maybe his dance brought all this mess. haha People do some funny/stupid things when you least expect it.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#83597 Jan 25, 2013
HilLogic wrote:
<quoted text>
I will be happy to just that. I enjoy reading the posts on this thread; it gives me the warm fuzzies most of the time.:-)
I hope you have a great day as well!
Thank you. It will be a great one indoors. I am not even going to venture to the mailbox today. I will continue to explore that subject as well. Some say they are as a result of earthquakes. Texas had a pretty sizable one today and Tennessee had a small one yesterday. Don't know if they are part of it not.

I have loved this thread for two years due to all the interesting things you can learn about. Not trashy like most. Although it has had it's moments. lol Come back and join us, the more the merrier..or more info I should say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'You Got Family!' Accused murderer warns judge ... 23 min Go Blue Forever 6
Trump for President, He will win. watch 1 hr Scotty Steiner 614
3rd party candidate's 1 hr Ghostly Hollow 2
How do I join ISIS? 2 hr Anonymous 5
What gets you sexually charged? 3 hr Ghostly Hollow 20
Why save heroin addicts 8 hr Anonymous 31
why is the kentucky state police scared to patr... 10 hr huh 4

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Louisville Mortgages