Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,721

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
qwerty

Carrollton, OH

#82748 Jan 18, 2013
Today is not a good day to make any important decisions concerning birds: you need to spend more time on research and stuff. Spend time with any bird watcher in your life, as they may be feeling neglected lately. If friends seem as though they are not being as flatulent as usual, it's probably because they have their own problems, and it's nothing personal.

Level 1

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#82749 Jan 18, 2013
qwerty wrote:
Today is not a good day to make any important decisions concerning birds: you need to spend more time on research and stuff. Spend time with any bird watcher in your life, as they may be feeling neglected lately. If friends seem as though they are not being as flatulent as usual, it's probably because they have their own problems, and it's nothing personal.
Too much oat bran always brings out the worst in my friends
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#82750 Jan 18, 2013
Does anyone really care that Lance Armstrong took performance enhancing drugs or lied to Oprah ? Why is that news worthy of the top blotter ?
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#82751 Jan 18, 2013
Wow, I know the moon in my part of Kentucky is only half full, so what's with all the weird and snippy posts? lol

I got company and ended up sharing dinner. Now kicked back for the night, got BlueBloods to watch, a new one at that and some time to myself. Got plans for tomorrow night. Out for some F-U-N :)

Lala, loved the stories of your hubby. He is a very special man. I could tell taking to him that one time you were in the hospital and him updating us through email. A real gem. I am glad you and the little one have him.

Nope, Hope you enjoyed breaking in your new gun. I guess gun shops all over the country are running out of stock, overwhelmed with crowds, and clearances backed up. I am sure they are laughing all the way to tbe bank. Hope people who have plenty of guns already aren't spending their nest eggs for them. I would buy ammo for the ones I got instead. I think I have all I need.

Ancient Wolf, I always thought Imposter was probably Don't Care or Birdkiller, not Una. lol
(Hope I don't jinx them back in here. haha)

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Should be nice and warm tomorrow. Yay
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#82752 Jan 18, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Does anyone really care that Lance Armstrong took performance enhancing drugs or lied to Oprah ? Why is that news worthy of the top blotter ?
I agree and no, I don't care.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#82753 Jan 18, 2013
Going to go watch television, so you folks have a good night. I may be back if I can't find anything that I like. I might be just a bit picky. LOL
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#82754 Jan 18, 2013
DEAD BIRDS:

This hurts my heart and enrages me at the same time. How disgusting and sick would you have to be. I pray they catch who is responsible. Just so sad:

4 bald eagles found shot at Washington state lake

Officials and a Native American tribe in Washington state are offering $13,750 for information leading to the conviction of whoever killed four bald eagles near a lake last week, according to local media.

Authorities tell The Seattle Times they suspect the bald eagles were shot from the trees and dropped into a Snohomish County lake, where their bodies were found floating. The incident occurred east of Granite Falls, the Herald newspaper of Everett reported.

"I've never seen anything like this in 11 years...it's egregious," Sgt. Jennifer Maurstad of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, told NBC station KING of Seattle.

Marustad told The Seattle Times it appears the birds were shot with a small-caliber rifle.

Investigators say the black market for eagle parts can be lucrative, potentially fetching hundreds of dollars, the newspaper reported. Parts could be used in things like high-end artwork or cultural ceremonies, according to The Seattle Times.

"I don't think he (the killer) had any intention of profiting from them," Maurstad told The Seattle Times. "I think it was just a spur-of-the-moment opportunity."

Without a permit, killing a bald eagle -- America's national bird -- is a serious offense.

In the United States, the bald eagle and the golden eagle are protected under multiple federal laws, according to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Per the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, felony convictions can lead to a maximum fine of $250,000 or two years in prison. Civil penalties are also subject to thousands in fines and imprisonment. Bald eagles are also protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Lacey Act. The bald eagle was removed from the Endangered Species federal list in 2007.

The act is also a misdemeanor under Washington state law, according to The Seattle Times.

The Stillaguamish Tribe, a Native American group based in Arlington, Wash., has pledged $10,000 toward the reward fund.

"The Tribe is shocked and offended at the wanton wastage of wildlife and supports the efforts of state authorities to investigate and prosecute this case," the tribe said in a statement Friday.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/18/16...

Damn them. I hope it isn't one of my Decorah Eagles I have been watching and posting.:(
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#82755 Jan 18, 2013
Guess I will stop whinning about the brrrrrr cold:

Snow trapped hundreds overnight on Alabama highway

Parts of the Southeast were digging out Friday from a winter storm that dumped up to a foot of snow around the region and played a role in at least one death.

In central Alabama, hundreds of people spent a cold night trapped on Interstate 65 in Cullman County after snow caused a series of wrecks that snarled traffic for miles.

Hundreds of cars and 18-wheelers were at a standstill on the highway early Friday, County emergency management director Phyllis Little said.

Read more and see video:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/18/16...

I hope they keep down there.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#82756 Jan 18, 2013
W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Nope. I'm wondering what kind of gun you got but if you don't want to say I understand.
Hi WKG! If you want a new firearm, my advise is to not wait for ANYTHING to settle down. This "crisis" is not going to go away like a bad fart under tight bed sheets.

If you want one, go get it and go get it now. Personally, I'd recommend a revolver because it doesn't look like there will be an issue involved with owning those any time in the near future.
(Of course I"m only assuming that as of right now though... Who knows what the months or years ahead might bring as far as our rights to bear arms for personal use)..

#82759 Jan 18, 2013
And for some odd reason, I'm having trouble posting what I have in my personal arsenal. I'll try again later... I don't know what the heck is going on.

Maybe "gun" talk and calibers are being pre-screened?
Mysteries of life in the year 2013..

#82760 Jan 18, 2013
I've got nothing to hide about what I own. I have a Ruger 357, a semi auto 22, a semi auto 9mm, a Mossberg 20 gage with a 5mw laser lite/flashlight assembly including a sling that holds 15 extra shells, plus another old beat up 380. That old 380 has seen better days, but it still shoots true. Out of all of them, I think the Ruger and Mossberg are my favorites. My Ruger is nicknamed "John Wayne". It's a pure hog of a cannon. SO much fun to shoot! But then so is the Mossberg.... I like ALL my guns, don't get me wrong. But those two are my first to pick up when it's play time outside.

I had fun tonight when it started to get too dark to really see very well and played around with the Mossberg and laser, lol. Not like you even NEED a laser with a 20 gage, mind you, but it's so much fun...

This new one I added today is a snub nose 38. And honey, it's SWEET! I wasn't immediately impressed with it this afternoon, but I've got it sighted in now and I'm good to go. It's not bad, not bad at all.

I still have plenty of ammo left over after 'recess' today, but I did manage to put a hurting on my stash. I'll have to restock sometime next week. The gun dealers are running low on ammo everywhere. I talked to one of my bro in laws out of state tonight and he said he's started ordering most of his ammo on-line again. It just took him two straight weeks to get an order delivered, where he used to be able to have it shipped right to the door in just a few days flat.

Everything I have is so far legal. But how long that will last is anyones guess. The mags on the semis hold more than 7 rounds, as anyone who's familiar with firearms obviously already knows.... And I do have plenty of extra clips for each one.. We'll see what happens with these new laws. While one web site says that what you already own could possibly be 'grandfathered' in, the next says we'll probably have to either sell or forfeit.
I'll do neither. Too much money invested here to give these up for a nickel on the dollar.

I'm sure our resident naysayer will find both humor and disdain in this comment somewhere, somehow... He seems to be awfully intimidated by females who know how to rely on and take care of themselves without any male counterparts glued to her tail ends 24/7..

You'd think that these days, most men would appreciate a woman who could also back HIS rear end up in a dire pickle. I know the men I associate with certainly do. Of course, they aren't intimidated by much, IF ANYTHING, at all.
So just ignore the ignorant comeback which we can all bank on soon enough. Some snide comment will follow from him directly, you can count on it..

#82761 Jan 18, 2013
THERE we go. Will wonders never cease..

Oh well. There ya go!! That's my stash!
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#82763 Jan 18, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
And for some odd reason, I'm having trouble posting what I have in my personal arsenal. I'll try again later... I don't know what the heck is going on.
Maybe "gun" talk and calibers are being pre-screened?
Mysteries of life in the year 2013..
Haha, it posted three times. Glad you enjoyed your new gun. I feel the same way about men. I have had a few that just couldn't handle some mouthy female, self sufficient and don't need "taken care of". I hope the gun restrictions aren't as bad as you and all the gun collector think. I don't believe it will. But I can see how people would think it.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#82764 Jan 18, 2013
Is there a stuck record here or is that an echo?

#82765 Jan 18, 2013
Say WHAT?? Who the heck is this newest nut-job d'jour??

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

FARTSBURG

#82766 Jan 18, 2013
Qwerty, thank you for the horriblescope reading. I have been away for the past 4 hours on vip calls and business. Your reading was like a Rose among thorns.

#82767 Jan 18, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha, it posted three times. Glad you enjoyed your new gun. I feel the same way about men. I have had a few that just couldn't handle some mouthy female, self sufficient and don't need "taken care of". I hope the gun restrictions aren't as bad as you and all the gun collector think. I don't believe it will. But I can see how people would think it.
Did it? I scampered over into another thread after I saw that it finally posted at all, hehe. Oh well. Such is Topix some days. I was wondering if gun talk was being censored some how or the other.

Bad thing with all of this hoopla is that we can't seem to get any solid answers, other than what I heard come out of our Prez's mouth on T.V. the other night. And I wasn't pleased to hear him say anything over 8 rounds was pegged, let me tell you.

I hope it doesn't go that far, AB. And I certainly don't want anything I own to be put on any 'list' of banned weapons. I don't own any "assault" style weapons in my personal opinion, and don't have any intentions of buying one. Never have. But I like my semis. I like them a lot...

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

FARTSBURG

#82768 Jan 18, 2013
AW I agree, who cares what Lance Armstrong does. I hope no kids look up to the dope headed Atheist.

#82769 Jan 18, 2013
Well, the sniffer bot will probably get the duplicates eventually. Seems like it usually does take care of it when someones comments get repeated from a glitch..

Dang, what a mess I proceeded to make on here! For some reason I didn't see it posting, so I redid it a couple of times.. Whew..

Maybe my gray matter is still as cold as my hands are.

#82770 Jan 18, 2013
I'm going to log off and then come back so I can see if the sniffer bot got them. I surely hope it did. That's a royal mess!

Be back in a minute.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Louisville Cardinals vs Kentucky Wildcats Dec 2... 10 hr David 1
places that hire felons.help! 11 hr constanceswan 1
Kentucky wants to give illegal immigrants drive... (Nov '07) 15 hr Mike 17
brad jones fairdale 16 hr beef 8
Mouse Moments - (Sep '11) Fri Maverick 808 12,445
Ford's pre-employment test (Aug '11) Fri kctopps 61
Sarah annanice reece Fri Maverick 808 3
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web