Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,722

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#81487 Jan 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps she was talking about a different kind than we Southern guys remember. Maybe give her the benefit of the doubt since she once lived in the North East and is just now learning the lingo. LOL
I bet she doesn't even know "Work from can to can't". She probably uses something like "toil from sunrise until sunset". No doubt does not know "shat the door" or "drap that thar oft" or "carry me over yander to the store". LOL
Yes, I'm still learning the lingo of the South. You folks have the most colorful descriptive language. I love it. When I first came here, people were talking about a holler, and I thought they meant shouting. I knew what "no count" meant...but I couldn't imagine where,when angry, someone would say, "I'll stomp a mudhole in your azz and walk it dry." Then I figured out how someone could literally stomp a mudhole in Kentucky's rather damp, clay ground. It took a couple of weeks for our neighbors to understand us and we, them, but eventually we got messages across. I know the difference between "redneck" and "plain country" now and when I think that I have mastered the lingo, someone comes up with another colorful phrase.

Level 1

Location hidden

#81488 Jan 8, 2013
capitalize wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know hell was a proper noun, and even if it is I wouldn't take the effort to capitalize it just like I don't capitalize zionist or nazi or communist. I consider taking the effort to capitalize as a sign of respect, but there are just some words I have no respect for.
My oh my!!! I was just making a wisecrack toward the origninal poster, I never thought this little line would cause such a stir. Good grief. I do not respect the "h" place nor the inhabitant thereof, so please give me a break. Besides, I have an excuse. My hubby was an English professor before he retired, so I just absorbed grammatical style through osmosis. LOL. Please pay attention to LOL. It is not intended to be serious. Just to make myself clear, I DO NOT respect you know who.

Level 1

Location hidden

#81490 Jan 8, 2013
W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I listen to him now and then. I agree that he comes off as a little "overzealous" or I'd also say crazy. lol But he often admits being severly ADD/ADHD so that doesn't help him much.:) You ought to try to read one of his books! lol I wasn't really listening too close this morning so I'm not sure what his stand is. I did catch the part about Al Gore selling his tv station to Al Jazeera. He refused to sell it to Glen Beck "because their ideology is so different." lol Yet he sells it to an enemy of the US which was founded on Arab "big oil"... even though he (Gore) is the big global warming guru that he is. Oh well, money talks... I suppose $500 million speaks very loudly. lol
You have to forgive Al Gore. He's just a simpleton! LOL
gates of hell

Richmond, KY

#81491 Jan 8, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
My oh my!!! I was just making a wisecrack toward the origninal poster, I never thought this little line would cause such a stir. Good grief. I do not respect the "h" place nor the inhabitant thereof, so please give me a break. Besides, I have an excuse. My hubby was an English professor before he retired, so I just absorbed grammatical style through osmosis. LOL. Please pay attention to LOL. It is not intended to be serious. Just to make myself clear, I DO NOT respect you know who.
I was just bustin' your chops ; )

Level 1

Location hidden

#81492 Jan 8, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
AW, I'm going to have to talk with Lala, when she wakes up from her nap. I can't believe she was on here talking about fracking. My, my.
LOL You are right!!!I just now figured out how you were interpreting "fracking." I usually don't use cuss words, but, not being perfect, I have fallen off the wagon from time to time. However, the euphemism that we would have used up North is "friggin." LOL

Level 1

Location hidden

#81493 Jan 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I plan too. This old dude has finally got a dinner date LOL
I hope that you had a good time on your dinner date. That's a nice thing...going out, having pleasant conversation, and hopefully, good food. Did you go out tonight or cook for the lucky lady?

Level 1

Location hidden

#81494 Jan 8, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL AW, you're probably right. I forgot about Lala being a former Northener. So many Northern folks moving Southward, the court systems are soon have to hire a Hillbilly/Yankee interpeter to go along with the Spanish one. LOL.
You're right. When I moved down here, we ran into people from our old neighborhoods up North. In addition, the moving company people asked me what is going on in central Kentucky. Apparently, they had lots of recent customers from up North moving to this ares. I told them that the secret of the slower pace of life and the beauty of the region was finally getting out. I surely hope that not too many people invade this corner of the country, but I have noticed that in the past 15 years, there has been a huge buildup of population here. Hope that this place doesn't lose its country charm with too many people coming here to live.

Level 1

Location hidden

#81495 Jan 8, 2013
gates of hell wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just bustin' your chops ; )

I figured that out, but sometimes it takes awhile for the light bulb to go on.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#81496 Jan 8, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope that you had a good time on your dinner date. That's a nice thing...going out, having pleasant conversation, and hopefully, good food. Did you go out tonight or cook for the lucky lady?
Bo, we went out to a nice local restaurant. I ate too much, but I just could not pass up the chocolate cream pie. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#81497 Jan 8, 2013
Bo? instead of No, and I only had coffee LOL

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#81498 Jan 8, 2013
Another long day.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#81499 Jan 8, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I'm still learning the lingo of the South. You folks have the most colorful descriptive language. I love it. When I first came here, people were talking about a holler, and I thought they meant shouting. I knew what "no count" meant...but I couldn't imagine where,when angry, someone would say, "I'll stomp a mudhole in your azz and walk it dry." Then I figured out how someone could literally stomp a mudhole in Kentucky's rather damp, clay ground. It took a couple of weeks for our neighbors to understand us and we, them, but eventually we got messages across. I know the difference between "redneck" and "plain country" now and when I think that I have mastered the lingo, someone comes up with another colorful phrase.
More Colorful Phrases:
Dumber than a coal bucket, smarter than a box of rocks, slicker than a greased pig, colder than a well digger's azz, as dead as a dog, as slow as molasses in winter, and the one that I am always tagged with "as stubborn as a mule". LOL

curious

United States

#81503 Jan 8, 2013
sooo what is your take on the "unexplained" loud booms being heard across the country? just wondering.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81504 Jan 8, 2013
the birds wrote:
are dead give it a rest for pete's sake.
But Pete is dead also and most likely don't have any sake.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#81505 Jan 8, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. When I moved down here, we ran into people from our old neighborhoods up North. In addition, the moving company people asked me what is going on in central Kentucky. Apparently, they had lots of recent customers from up North moving to this ares. I told them that the secret of the slower pace of life and the beauty of the region was finally getting out. I surely hope that not too many people invade this corner of the country, but I have noticed that in the past 15 years, there has been a huge buildup of population here. Hope that this place doesn't lose its country charm with too many people coming here to live.
True, Northern people are moving here too. Years ago a bunch of Hippies bought up some land here. It took law enforcement forever to find out the reason they were such happy Hippies. LOL. They really didn't bother anyone and were friendly. They were peaced out most of the time. Hehehe.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

FARTSBURG

#81506 Jan 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
But Pete is dead also and most likely don't have any sake.
I'm not to sure about that AW. Pete and Repeat are here quite often. LOL.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

FARTSBURG

#81507 Jan 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Bo, we went out to a nice local restaurant. I ate too much, but I just could not pass up the chocolate cream pie. LOL
Did you get a little peck on your cheek, AW? Hehehe.

Level 1

Location hidden

#81508 Jan 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
More Colorful Phrases:
Dumber than a coal bucket, smarter than a box of rocks, slicker than a greased pig, colder than a well digger's azz, as dead as a dog, as slow as molasses in winter, and the one that I am always tagged with "as stubborn as a mule". LOL
I think those phrases are universal. We had those up North, too. The only place up North that is like Kentucky is Maine, particularly inland Maine. The only difference is that it gets colder than a well digger's azz. Mainers are very tough, country people. They don't "put on any airs." But you have to be very tough if you live there. The winter N'oreaster dumps snow measured in feet instead of inches. The summers there are beautiful and you can drive for miles before you come upon a farm or house. They have wonderful church suppers you can attend, with homemade food and pies that are so delicious that you can gain 10 pounds just looking at it. There are county fairs where you can eat "frydough" with powdered sugar and cinnamon, sample chowder and clam cakes, eat whole-bellied clams, enjoy harness horse races, and take the kids on amusement park rides. But it is a very short season and then you're right back to winter.

Level 1

Location hidden

#81509 Jan 8, 2013
Well, good-night folks and sweet dreams. Will check in tomorrow, Lord willing.

Level 1

Location hidden

#81510 Jan 8, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
True, Northern people are moving here too. Years ago a bunch of Hippies bought up some land here. It took law enforcement forever to find out the reason they were such happy Hippies. LOL. They really didn't bother anyone and were friendly. They were peaced out most of the time. Hehehe.
There are still a few left in Lebanon. They call themselves, the rainbow people

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review - Dr Corbett plastic surgeon 53 min Krissy 1
KFC yum! center 1 hr Sports analyst 23
Grade lane hit and run (Travis Christy)This is ... (Nov '12) 4 hr defeated 144
Cody Rumbaugh 5 hr sad 2
Louisville Cardinals vs Kentucky Wildcats Dec 2... 7 hr ForumCommando 4
brad jones fairdale 8 hr brog 10
Group masturbation? (Feb '12) 12 hr sounds fun 20
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web