Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81692 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81439 Jan 8, 2013
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry if I did offend.
I did not think it was your post that was the keeper of the gate and even so, Oglala is not easily offended. I have never seen your location say "Pikeville".

@Oglala.. I know what you mean about sleeping. I do not recall when I last slept a full night. I sleep 3 or 4 hours, wake up for few and then sleep some more. I blame it on the dog, but it is really me. LOL

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#81440 Jan 8, 2013
Brrrr! Everything out there looks like it's covered in donut glaze!! Man, I'm ready for Spring time and the Dogwoods to bloom again.. My favorite season is Spring when the Daffodils all start to come up. They've always my favorite flower. Maybe because there is such a short time to enjoy them every year....

But it's going to be a really pretty for the next week or so. They say the temps will be up in the low to mid 50's! On Saturday, the predicted high is SIXTY EIGHT DEGREES!!!!

Anybody wanna go fishin' with Nope? Looks like it's going to be an awesome week weather wise.

Location hidden

#81441 Jan 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>@Oglala.. I know what you mean about sleeping. I do not recall when I last slept a full night. I sleep 3 or 4 hours, wake up for few and then sleep some more. I blame it on the dog, but it is really me. LOL
Last summer I went through a really rough time with sleep. REALLY rough. I feel for you all. That's why I try so hard to keep a sleep schedule going. I'm lucky if I can stay asleep for four hours at a stretch before I wake up for whatever reason. Five total hours is a good nights sleep for me these days. And I'm trying really hard not to take naps during the daylight hours any more. When you find your head bobbing midday though, man it's hard to fight off a nap.

What I enjoy is getting up with the sun, particularly in the warmer months, so I can take my coffee outside and listen to the birds and wildlife wake up around here. There's no noise here from cars, planes, or human traffic of any kind. Other than the occasional far away train whistle in the distance, that is.. It gets hard sometimes to make it outside at daybreak though when sleep is so hard to get.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81442 Jan 8, 2013
@Nope... My sister's friend says his plants are popping through the ground now. I don't worry about a sleep schedule. I just sleep whenever and I am always up to enjoy the mornings. Coffee does not bother me either, I can drink 2 or 3 cups and go right to sleep. Tea is a different story. I drink that stuff and I am wired.

I read somewhere, I believe it was either Einstein or Edison that tried to do without sleep by sleeping or resting for 15 minutes out of each hour.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81444 Jan 8, 2013
I don't know about birds, but I do know that quick temperature changes and oxygen content affects the fish. Suggest reading about "Jubilee" which has been happening for years.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81445 Jan 8, 2013
That would be "Mobile Jubilee", not the religous one.

Location hidden

#81446 Jan 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Nope... My sister's friend says his plants are popping through the ground now. I don't worry about a sleep schedule. I just sleep whenever and I am always up to enjoy the mornings. Coffee does not bother me either, I can drink 2 or 3 cups and go right to sleep. Tea is a different story. I drink that stuff and I am wired.
I read somewhere, I believe it was either Einstein or Edison that tried to do without sleep by sleeping or resting for 15 minutes out of each hour.
I don't doubt that the stalks are popping up. My Iris's haven't died back yet, nor did they die back the fall before that either. They're still showing out there, most are about 4 to 5 inches high.. And that's what grew back after I chopped them back during the last grass cut of the year.

Strangely, this also happened last year. Only thing I noticed was a lesser amount of blooms last spring, which didn't please me very much. So I fertilized my flower gardens really well back in mid November with my chickens poop and their hay bedding that I'd let season all summer in my compost pile.

Our winter weather has been strange for the last two years. I have patches of ferns that didn't even get frozen out last winter and it looks like this winter might not hurt them either...

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#81448 Jan 8, 2013
Good morning, Roaming, Uglylala, AW, and Humpaburn you didn't offend anyone, that was just Sybil using Lalas name. It looks like a beautiful day in store.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#81449 Jan 8, 2013
Good morning bird threaders. It is going to be 51 degrees today and is on it's way to being that here. Sun shining bright and I am ready for spring too.

Location hidden

#81450 Jan 8, 2013
I could hardly believe the temp was going to rise like they predicted when I got up and looked outside at 7:00 a.m. That frost was THICK, hehe.

The shady spots are still glazed over. Glad I have an hour left before I have to leave the house. Hopefully I won't have to scrape the windshield by then..
:)

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#81451 Jan 8, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Good morning bird threaders. It is going to be 51 degrees today and is on it's way to being that here. Sun shining bright and I am ready for spring too.
Good Morning AB. Yes, what a beautiful day. I was out at about 6:00 AM there was frost on the roof tops, but the water in kitty toms bowl wasn't frozen. Wonderful for January.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81452 Jan 8, 2013
Una.. some people are just silly. I don't see any thing at all incendiary or mean about your prior post, as if we care LOL

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#81456 Jan 8, 2013
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry if I did offend.
No, you did not offend. I was just being a little sarcastic with the poster with the moniker gates of hell, whoever he may be. Saw only 1 post from him and I thought it might have been Sybil. But my comment was directed toward that person, not you.

The only problem with posting is that sometimes when you are just having a little fun, it can be taken the wrong way. In face to face communication you have facial expressions, tone of voice, and use of gestures to make your intent clear. When you rely only on the keyboard and a computer screen, you lose all of the other components of communication.

Level 1

Location hidden

#81457 Jan 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not think it was your post that was the keeper of the gate and even so, Oglala is not easily offended. I have never seen your location say "Pikeville".
@Oglala.. I know what you mean about sleeping. I do not recall when I last slept a full night. I sleep 3 or 4 hours, wake up for few and then sleep some more. I blame it on the dog, but it is really me. LOL
I think that these irregular sleep patterns may be related to just getting a little older. When I was young, I could sleep away, and get up, feeling refreshed. Now, it's a couple of hours on and off for sleep. I tried eliminating my afternoon nap, to get a full night's sleep, but it did not work.

Level 1

Location hidden

#81458 Jan 8, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
Good morning, Roaming, Uglylala, AW, and Humpaburn you didn't offend anyone, that was just Sybil using Lalas name. It looks like a beautiful day in store.
No, that was me, Uglylala, responding to the poster called gates of hell. I thought it was really Sybil, so I tried to be "clever" but it didn't come out that way. I was just playing with the word "hell." Next time I will try not to put my foot in my mouth.

Level 1

Location hidden

#81459 Jan 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I'm the same way, AW I can drink coffee and fall right to sleep, but I will pop up awake in only a couple of hours, if that. I think that it was Einstein who rested 15 min. out of an hour.

I hope that we don't have an early spring only to be plunged back in winter. I have a beautiful tulip tree in the front your. The blooms are absolutely gorgeous. What often happens is that the buds start maturing early, then a cold snap hits and all those buds getting ready for a full bloom are frozen on the branches.
W KY Girl

Washington, IL

#81460 Jan 8, 2013
Good (late) morning everybody. I had sleep issues last night too then ended up oversleeping. My outdoor thermometer says 59 degrees!

Did any of you hear Glen Beck talking about "fracking" this morning?

Level 1

Location hidden

#81461 Jan 8, 2013
W KY Girl wrote:
Good (late) morning everybody. I had sleep issues last night too then ended up oversleeping. My outdoor thermometer says 59 degrees!
Did any of you hear Glen Beck talking about "fracking" this morning?
No. Once in awhile I catch his new show. I think that the man has some useful information to convey, but he gets overzealous and people get to thinking he's crazy. I do know that his stance on fracking is to eliminate it. Fracking can be done safely, but the problem is that companies like BP, are more interested in money than safety.

Level 1

Location hidden

#81462 Jan 8, 2013
Did most of my chores earlier today, so now I can take a short nap. Stein has already jumped on the bed. Will be back later.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81463 Jan 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Una.. some people are just silly. I don't see any thing at all incendiary or mean about your prior post, as if we care LOL
For the 2 that disagreed with this, I was speaking specifically about UNA's post to wish AB a good morning and a hope for spring. I still do not see anything "mean" about that. My opinion is that the judge icons are for the post and not the person or previous posts. Surely UNA can quite often be mean spirited and deserves to get the mean click when that happens, but not for a simple "Good Morning".

But in any case, I do not really care and am only making an observation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roofy on fourth street 6 hr Bud 7
anybody know AMANDA PERKINS (Sep '11) 7 hr Mandy5858 15
Sarah reece 12 hr Mekalyn 4
Trump for President, He will win. watch 12 hr scotty steiner 1,912
Record Murder Rate 13 hr Amos N Andy 1
Looking for a childhood friend-Michelle Wells (Jan '10) 15 hr Sandy06 15
Steven Jewell (Apr '12) 16 hr Theone 2

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance