Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
67,761 - 67,780 of 81,560 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Retraction: What I actually found on the internet by Jerome K. Jerome was "Three Men in a Boat (not counting the dog) published in 1898. most funny.

Since: Dec 12

Manteno, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

concerned wrote:
I was wondering has any else notice the strange loud roaring noise? I have talked to some people in the area who has also heard this- this is in Bullitt Co. It's not a plane or anything like that. And what is really weird after it does this for a few weeks it's followed by a low flying helicopter. Has anyone else noticed this.
Hi Concerned. That is very interesting. There is no telling what it might be. I hope you find out. Maybe if you contact your local news people they will get interested and investigate.
Where I live is a flight path from, I'm guessing Fort Campbell to somewhere. Well actually they are always traveling East and West so maybe it's not Fort Campbell. Who knows! All I do know is fairly often we have several planes or helicopters go over - a lot of times the big carriers. I always run to the door and watch them like a little kid. LOL We also have local low flying helicopters pretty often. We have a joke when we hear them, we say ohhh they are looking for the pot patch! lol As often as they come around here they would surely find one if it was out there!
I hope you find out what the mystery noise is. Take care.:)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got a cast iron skillet somewhere that is totally rusted up. I rescued it from going to the dump! lol I have scrubbed on it but didn't have much luck in cleaning it up. I think the fire will be the next step. I hope that works on rust.
I would coat it in grease and put into a open flame like a stove or fireplace, then clean it afterwards with steel wool and then coat the exterior with some black stove polish that you can get at many hardware stores.

More chores before the day gets totally away from me.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Yep, I'd like to hear more about it too. I hope that poster comes back to talk some more.

We very rarely have aircraft go overhead out here unless it's the medi-vac helicopter.. And when I hear that go by, my heart aches knowing that someone is hurt. We're too far out in the boonies and we're on no flight paths.

But like you, the sheriff departments "pot-copter" flies over head very frequently during particular seasons, hehe. Low enough sometimes that I can wave and see them wave back, hehe.. I'm sure they refer to me as "that crazy lady over yonder who's always standing out on the porch" after all these years, LOL!! I'm sure they've researched my longitude and latitude and gotten my personal data by now, knowing my real name. Hope they enjoy flying over my flower gardens, HA!!

Manteno, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I inherited an extensive collection of really old coins from a family member too. I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the sheer contents of the lock boxes that they came in and gave up trying to find everything on line so I could inventory it all...
Is there a reputable coin dealer anywhere within the radius of our posts that I could take these coins too? I need to get these the whole lot of them appraised and stored away in a safe deposit box. Right now, they're in a family members gun safe so no one can get them here if by some very slim chance we get broken into.
(Even with the surveillance system and alarms we have, I don't trust just letting them sit here like that)..
I have NO idea about the value of old coins. Can anyone give me a lead on someone I can trust to give me some accurate appraisals?
I did find a few of them, same years that I have and in much worse shape than mine are, that were selling on Ebay for up to and over $500.00 each with active bidders. Two collections of Morgans are in those blue books and are completed sets. So I know there are some pretty valuable coins in there. I just don't want to be lied to by a dishonest appraiser.
The few of the loose and duplicate coins I found that were only worth basically their own weight in "silver", I've removed and tucked away in my secret prepping areas should SHTF. Bartering material, so to speak..
Hey Nope. Google the "Coin Tracker" website. It is really good! I don't know of a good coin appraiser. They all seem to think they are good but I think most of them are full of bolony and crooked. Double check on storing things in a safe deposit box. I know the government wants to get their nose in on that, especially if something happens to the owner of the box. Also, if something really drastic should happen the government can take your precious metals away from you. IMO, you would be much better off to store them at home or a place where only you know where they are (and maybe one other person). I read on one big gold investment company website that if you purchase gold from them and they keep it stored for you, it is possible that the government can confiscate it if they think they need to. That has happened to people in the past and I have NO DOUBT it could happen again. I'd love to see your collection, coins are cool!:)
There is some outfit that appraises and grades coins. You might Google that.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Nope. Google the "Coin Tracker" website. It is really good! I don't know of a good coin appraiser. They all seem to think they are good but I think most of them are full of bolony and crooked. Double check on storing things in a safe deposit box. I know the government wants to get their nose in on that, especially if something happens to the owner of the box. Also, if something really drastic should happen the government can take your precious metals away from you. IMO, you would be much better off to store them at home or a place where only you know where they are (and maybe one other person). I read on one big gold investment company website that if you purchase gold from them and they keep it stored for you, it is possible that the government can confiscate it if they think they need to. That has happened to people in the past and I have NO DOUBT it could happen again. I'd love to see your collection, coins are cool!:)
There is some outfit that appraises and grades coins. You might Google that.
Thanks for the lead, but believe it or not I've already been on that site, hehe! This collection is too massive and I got bleary eyed after three hours of researching and making notes for the individual coins that are loose... I'm not kidding, this coin collection is something to behold and I was stunned to have gotten it.

There are a few old gold pieces in there and some old paper money too, but I'll never turn loose of those. The paper money itself isn't really that valuable and I get more joy from just looking at it than it would bring by selling it.
(Silver certificates, old confederate money and the likes)...

Like you, I wonder who all's hands it passed through, where it may have traveled, etc. It's amazing to imagine who all may have had it in their pockets at one time or the other.

I need to get these appraised for insurance reasons if nothing else. And my personal will states who gets what as far as any other assets already. So Uncle Sam and his minions will get VERY little of my personal assets when I pass away, if any at all. My stock certificates are designated to "transfer on death", so no one can take any control of them other than who I've willed them to. Even my house and the property is protected with multiple names on the deed.

I've tried the best I can to keep the government out of my pockets any more than they already are and have been.. I've done about all I can do. Aside from getting these coins dealt with, that is.

Manteno, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Yep, I'd like to hear more about it too. I hope that poster comes back to talk some more.
We very rarely have aircraft go overhead out here unless it's the medi-vac helicopter.. And when I hear that go by, my heart aches knowing that someone is hurt. We're too far out in the boonies and we're on no flight paths.
But like you, the sheriff departments "pot-copter" flies over head very frequently during particular seasons, hehe. Low enough sometimes that I can wave and see them wave back, hehe.. I'm sure they refer to me as "that crazy lady over yonder who's always standing out on the porch" after all these years, LOL!! I'm sure they've researched my longitude and latitude and gotten my personal data by now, knowing my real name. Hope they enjoy flying over my flower gardens, HA!!
HAAA! Me too! I fly out the door to watch them until they are out of sight. But I'm even worse, I take pictures of them! LOL I wave big time at the military aircraft. They probably think I am really a fruit loop! hahaha

Oh I was going to tell you, be sure not to ever clean your coins! They lose A LOT of value when you do that!

Manteno, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

cody wrote:
It happend in mt sterling ky last year
Hi Cody.:)

Manteno, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I would coat it in grease and put into a open flame like a stove or fireplace, then clean it afterwards with steel wool and then coat the exterior with some black stove polish that you can get at many hardware stores.
More chores before the day gets totally away from me.
Thanks AW, I'll have to give that a try. I need to get up and get busy too! As usual, dishes waiting on me.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I was going to tell you, be sure not to ever clean your coins! They lose A LOT of value when you do that!
Yep, I read about that! They said it would greatly depreciate the value of the coin(s) if you clean them. A normal person would think differently because it would stand to reason that a shiny coin would be a more valuable coin. Glad I saw that beforehand....

I just wish I could find a reputable dealer to trust. I would gladly sell some of these. I still have dreams of that (as of now, still elusive) log cabin in my minds eye.

An "Adirondack" style two story log cabin, with a full wall fireplace and some big skylights for growing exotic plants in the great room. Like growing some bamboo, palms and banana trees? Wouldn't that be sweet?? We've already got enough rock and boulders here for the fireplace wall I'm sure. How awesome it would be to put them to use for something like that.. And a few of our cedar trees would make awesome beams.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Hempburn wrote:
I seen this story of some naked dude running around in california with nothing but a samurai sword,lol,, naturally I thought Uni moved to califoria,, but no it was Coco Bennett who went a little crazy for a bit... probably eating too much food cooked in alumimum.
Or he got into the "bath salts." That's the newest way to get high.
These young folks are taking their lives in their hands when they use this stuff. It makes people go stark raving mad. Now, what kind of person would want to be like that??It's crazy.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, I read about that! They said it would greatly depreciate the value of the coin(s) if you clean them. A normal person would think differently because it would stand to reason that a shiny coin would be a more valuable coin. Glad I saw that beforehand....
I just wish I could find a reputable dealer to trust. I would gladly sell some of these. I still have dreams of that (as of now, still elusive) log cabin in my minds eye.
An "Adirondack" style two story log cabin, with a full wall fireplace and some big skylights for growing exotic plants in the great room. Like growing some bamboo, palms and banana trees? Wouldn't that be sweet?? We've already got enough rock and boulders here for the fireplace wall I'm sure. How awesome it would be to put them to use for something like that.. And a few of our cedar trees would make awesome beams.
I lived in a log cabin when I was in Massachusetts. I lived in it for 24 years. They are very expensive to construct, and you almost have to have someone put up the shell professionally. They have special equipment to make the houses tight. I knew of someone who didn't do that and napkins would blow off the table when the wind was gusty. It's true that early settlers constructed their own, but look how much "caulking" they had to put on each course of logs. If you do build a log cabin, get full logs for the outer walls, instead of log facing over plywood. We had 9 inch full logs, which retained heat in the winter, and kept temperatures cool in the summer. The only drawback is that you can get sick and tired of looking at logs, and interior wall petitions of wood. There's not a lot you can do to change the appearance, unless you use conventional walls for the interior.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

make the on the left,,lol,, when you turn right off 25 wally world is on the left, and the antiques place in on the left.. my bad.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in a log cabin when I was in Massachusetts. I lived in it for 24 years. They are very expensive to construct, and you almost have to have someone put up the shell professionally. They have special equipment to make the houses tight. I knew of someone who didn't do that and napkins would blow off the table when the wind was gusty. It's true that early settlers constructed their own, but look how much "caulking" they had to put on each course of logs. If you do build a log cabin, get full logs for the outer walls, instead of log facing over plywood. We had 9 inch full logs, which retained heat in the winter, and kept temperatures cool in the summer. The only drawback is that you can get sick and tired of looking at logs, and interior wall petitions of wood. There's not a lot you can do to change the appearance, unless you use conventional walls for the interior.
Thanks, OG. I've been doing some research for a few years now about log cabin construction. You're correct about the "shell" and insulations used. There is no way we'd hire a wanna-be "Daniel Boone" builder to do any construction when you're looking at the dollar amount necessary for put your dream home together.

As far as the wall issues, I've always been more of a 'window and nature' admirer than a hanger of artwork, hehe. Give me a wall of glass or windows so I can fill the room with plants, and/or look outside at nature, and I'll find that more attractive than a million dollar Rembrandt hanging on the wall, HAHA!!

Good information, thanks!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Hempburn wrote:
make the on the left,,lol,, when you turn right off 25 wally world is on the left, and the antiques place in on the left.. my bad.
LOL! Come again???

Okay, so I'm pretty sure I know where WallyWorld is, so get me from there to the antique store, haha!!
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
These young folks are taking their lives in their hands when they use this stuff. It makes people go stark raving mad. Now, what kind of person would want to be like that??It's crazy.
Have you seen the before and after shots of people on meth? That must be one awesome high to do that to you but you keep going back for more.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Come again???
Okay, so I'm pretty sure I know where WallyWorld is, so get me from there to the antique store, haha!!

The right brain kicked in, left side went byby. Ok From Interstate 75 exit 29 head east on 25 to the 2nd light and go right passing Wal Mart and the antiques store in on the LEFT just past it. Easy peazy.

Manteno, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you heard the stories about users attacking and canibalizing other people when high on that mess!?! I have heard at least two stories about people getting high on it then eating other people's face off, no kidding!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>,
The right brain kicked in, left side went byby. Ok From Interstate 75 exit 29 head east on 25 to the 2nd light and go right passing Wal Mart and the antiques store in on the LEFT just past it. Easy peazy.
Thanks, Hemp! I should be able to make it out that way. Earliest would be Friday. I'm anxious to see it. That, and I can try out the place called Basil's that someone has talked about on here. I'd really enjoy some good homemade Italian food for a change instead of having to cook it myself. Somerset only has a Fazoli's. And that's NOT Italian at all, in my opinion.....
Ghost Burger

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you heard the stories about users attacking and canibalizing other people when high on that mess!?! I have heard at least two stories about people getting high on it then eating other people's face off, no kidding!
Turns them into Zombies. It is only going to get worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

49 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Mitch McConnell 7 min little church girl 25
Clinton to appear in Lexington, Hazard with Grimes 44 min Fedup with Obama liberals 2
Republicans 46 min Fedup with Obama liberals 17
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 56 min ohhahh 26,209
East End Crossing road construction MESS! 1 hr Dear Daddy 9
Nothing Changes Projects 2 hr LouisvilleKYreport 12
Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 2 hr lol 1,035
Carla Rebecca Rushing Stage Name Cody Lane Loui... (Jan '14) Jul 25 john 48
•••
•••
•••
•••

Louisville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••