Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,729

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#80489 Jan 2, 2013
West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok call me a nerd but I think that is so cool.:) I can just imagine your great grandmother using that skillet. I have a couple of those old Morgan Silver Dollars from about 1880. I look at those things and my imagination starts running wild wondering where all those things have been, who had them, how hard they had to work to get them, what they spent them on, and on and on. I love that kind of thing. That kind of makes history come to life!
I love old things just as well. My grandfather gave me quite a few Morgan silver dollars from that era. He died in 1955, when I was only 3 years old, but I can recall vividly the day that he gave them to me. I also have a newspaper from about 1897. I found it most interesting. There was a short story, and advertising for products to "cure anything that ails you." I also recall reading in that paper about one of our presidents getting stuck in the bath tub because he was so large. I will have to drag out that old paper because I can't remember if it was a sitting president or one that was out of office. For some reason, I think it was Grover Cleveland, but I would have to check it to be sure, as well as the exact date of the newspaper. Because the paper is so fragile with age, I have it wrapped in tons of plastic wrap and placed at the bottom of my cedar chest. But now I'm curious about it, so I'll take a stroll down memory lane.

Since: Dec 12

Oak Park, IL

#80491 Jan 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
salt and grease, especially in one you dont want to stick for frying eggs etc. You can even wash them if you use the salt and grease afterwards, then wipe clean.
As for History, I have my great grandfather's smoking pipe and his wife's little wire rim glasses, a hand made walking cane made from a briar vine, my mother's old cast irons she heated on top of the wood stove, my dad's fireplace popcorn popper, his old cross cut saw, grndpappy's horse hames, my grandmother's kerosene lamp, and the white metal dipper that hung out by the spring house.
All those items decorate my outside back wall that is finished in barn lumber that was removed from my uncles's old barn. I like to look at all that stuff and UNA even laughed at me for getting a little tobacco and trying to smoke my great grandfather's pipe while looking up on the hill and trying to think about him up there following a team of mules somewhere around the time of the Civil War. The pipe tobacco was too strong to inhale so I just puffed enough to get the aroma to add to my nostalgic thoughts. LOL
...and I thought me and Nope were a little crazy for our obsession over cast iron! Y'all crack me up! hahahahaha I figured we would catch a hard time like we did from "Legion" over our "useless banter." lol
Oh I agree about your collection and believe it or not I think I have all of those things except the popcorn popper! I love old things like that ESPECIALLY when it came from a family member. We have a cast iron 'doodad' used for repairing shoes too. It's called a "shoe last" I think. It belonged to my dad's parents. I got a cool kerosene lantern from that side of the family too. Dang, talking about all this stuff is making me want to go dig it all out and shine it up! lol ...well grease it up. lol I think I will and fix me up a place for it like you have yours.
I don't think you're crazy at all for firing up your grandfather's old pipe and trying to imagine him behind that team of horses.:) Another thing that gets me going is old houses and other buildings, and old barns!!! I can look at something like that and just wonder about the people who lived there, maybe some conversation they might have had, the things they struggled with in their life. It just kills me to see an old building of any kind torn down for no reason other than what some call "progress." I remember you talking about buying your family's homeplace. That is a wonderful thing to me.:)
...Now that I think about it, I do recall a popcorn popper being here, somewhere. I don't think I would take a million dollars for all this stuff that a lot of people would call junk.:)

Oak Park, IL

#80492 Jan 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
If your cast iron skillets and pots build up residue, you can throw them into an open flame and burn all that stuff off. Much like a self-cleaning oven.
I've got a cast iron skillet somewhere that is totally rusted up. I rescued it from going to the dump! lol I have scrubbed on it but didn't have much luck in cleaning it up. I think the fire will be the next step. I hope that works on rust.

Oak Park, IL

#80495 Jan 2, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Good morning bird people. It's cold, but the birds don't mind. lol
Good morning RI. I guess it's good the birds don't mind, but I do! lol I was thinking the other day that if I was a bird I would have to be one of those that heads way down south for the winter! lol

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80496 Jan 2, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>I love old things just as well. My grandfather gave me quite a few Morgan silver dollars from that era.
I inherited an extensive collection of really old coins from a family member too. I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the sheer contents of the lock boxes that they came in and gave up trying to find everything on line so I could inventory it all...

Is there a reputable coin dealer anywhere within the radius of our posts that I could take these coins too? I need to get these the whole lot of them appraised and stored away in a safe deposit box. Right now, they're in a family members gun safe so no one can get them here if by some very slim chance we get broken into.
(Even with the surveillance system and alarms we have, I don't trust just letting them sit here like that)..

I have NO idea about the value of old coins. Can anyone give me a lead on someone I can trust to give me some accurate appraisals?

I did find a few of them, same years that I have and in much worse shape than mine are, that were selling on Ebay for up to and over $500.00 each with active bidders. Two collections of Morgans are in those blue books and are completed sets. So I know there are some pretty valuable coins in there. I just don't want to be lied to by a dishonest appraiser.

The few of the loose and duplicate coins I found that were only worth basically their own weight in "silver", I've removed and tucked away in my secret prepping areas should SHTF. Bartering material, so to speak..

#80497 Jan 2, 2013
West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got a cast iron skillet somewhere that is totally rusted up. I rescued it from going to the dump! lol I have scrubbed on it but didn't have much luck in cleaning it up. I think the fire will be the next step. I hope that works on rust.
It will. Then use a steel wool scouring pad to smooth the inside down, season it REALLY heavily with lard or fatback, and let it sit in a hot oven for a few hours. But don't season it so heavily that you have dripping fats. You don't want your oven to catch fire... Even if you get it scoured down to where it's "silvery" looking on the inside, it'll darken up again after it's seasoned.

Good find and great "rescue"!!
:)

#80498 Jan 2, 2013
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
Your system seems to work well for you, so keep the eggs fryin. I've made soap from lard and lye just for the heck of it. One of my grandmothers made it all the time and her hands looked great at 98 years old. Lye is some wicked stuff though on it's own.
You know what I'd love to find, speaking of soap making? One of those huge cast iron cauldrons with legs.. Like the one "Granny Clampett" used out by their "cement pond" to make her soap in, hehe!!

I bet if I was even able to find one for sale, it would cost many hundreds of dollars right now though.

Monee, IL

#80499 Jan 2, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I love old things just as well. My grandfather gave me quite a few Morgan silver dollars from that era. He died in 1955, when I was only 3 years old, but I can recall vividly the day that he gave them to me. I also have a newspaper from about 1897. I found it most interesting. There was a short story, and advertising for products to "cure anything that ails you." I also recall reading in that paper about one of our presidents getting stuck in the bath tub because he was so large. I will have to drag out that old paper because I can't remember if it was a sitting president or one that was out of office. For some reason, I think it was Grover Cleveland, but I would have to check it to be sure, as well as the exact date of the newspaper. Because the paper is so fragile with age, I have it wrapped in tons of plastic wrap and placed at the bottom of my cedar chest. But now I'm curious about it, so I'll take a stroll down memory lane.
Good morning Oglala.:) Oh yeah, a stroll down memory lane can be nice. A lot of times it is better than the "here and now." Aren't those old coins so neat? They make my imagination go wild! I think I am going to have one put in one of those holder things (whatever you call it) and make a necklace out of it.
That was one large president huh? I wonder if they brought out the lard to get him out. lol Now I might be wrong but I seriously doubt there was much water left in there when they did get him out. haha
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#80500 Jan 2, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what I'd love to find, speaking of soap making? One of those huge cast iron cauldrons with legs.. Like the one "Granny Clampett" used out by their "cement pond" to make her soap in, hehe!!
I bet if I was even able to find one for sale, it would cost many hundreds of dollars right now though.
You just have to be lucky to find one of them. I know where one is for 150 at a Corbin antiques store, but it's rusted brown and appears never used, so I'm not interested. I want a used one that has that good blackend coating.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#80501 Jan 2, 2013
I seen this story of some naked dude running around in california with nothing but a samurai sword,lol,, naturally I thought Uni moved to califoria,, but no it was Coco Bennett who went a little crazy for a bit... probably eating too much food cooked in alumimum.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80502 Jan 2, 2013
Back from chicken house chores.

A few other old items I have are paperback versions of old books. One is "Major Jones's Sketches of Travels" comprising Incidents and Adventures in his tour from Georgia to Canada with the book dated 1833. I have not read that one yet.

I have my grandmother's "Revival Gems" paperback hymnal from "Stamps and Baxter" dated 1923. I looked that printer of gospel music up on the internet and found them.

Then the most humorous is "Idle Thoughts by An Idle Fellow" by Jerome K. Jerome and I can't tell if it is 1864 or 1884. I actually found that entire work on the internet and read it from my computer. It is one of the funniest things I ever read that delves into human nature and 3 young friends take a boating trip across England. Well worth searching on the internet and reading. It has been a while since I did that, so I might do that again during some of my "Idle Thoughts" LOL
cody

United States

#80503 Jan 2, 2013
It happend in mt sterling ky last year

#80504 Jan 2, 2013
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
You just have to be lucky to find one of them. I know where one is for 150 at a Corbin antiques store, but it's rusted brown and appears never used, so I'm not interested. I want a used one that has that good blackend coating.
WOW, I might be interested in it. Although it would probably take the better part of a week or two to get it fired, scoured, seasoned and back into shape. I would take a lot of elbow grease to get that thing back to black.

Could you tell me where this antique store is at by chance??
Thanks!!!! I'm kind of excited, and that price isn't all that bad. I'm willing to breathe new life into it as long as it's what I've been looking for!!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80505 Jan 2, 2013
Retraction: What I actually found on the internet by Jerome K. Jerome was "Three Men in a Boat (not counting the dog) published in 1898. most funny.

Monee, IL

#80506 Jan 2, 2013
concerned wrote:
I was wondering has any else notice the strange loud roaring noise? I have talked to some people in the area who has also heard this- this is in Bullitt Co. It's not a plane or anything like that. And what is really weird after it does this for a few weeks it's followed by a low flying helicopter. Has anyone else noticed this.
Hi Concerned. That is very interesting. There is no telling what it might be. I hope you find out. Maybe if you contact your local news people they will get interested and investigate.
Where I live is a flight path from, I'm guessing Fort Campbell to somewhere. Well actually they are always traveling East and West so maybe it's not Fort Campbell. Who knows! All I do know is fairly often we have several planes or helicopters go over - a lot of times the big carriers. I always run to the door and watch them like a little kid. LOL We also have local low flying helicopters pretty often. We have a joke when we hear them, we say ohhh they are looking for the pot patch! lol As often as they come around here they would surely find one if it was out there!
I hope you find out what the mystery noise is. Take care.:)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80507 Jan 2, 2013
West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I would coat it in grease and put into a open flame like a stove or fireplace, then clean it afterwards with steel wool and then coat the exterior with some black stove polish that you can get at many hardware stores.

More chores before the day gets totally away from me.

#80508 Jan 2, 2013
Yep, I'd like to hear more about it too. I hope that poster comes back to talk some more.

We very rarely have aircraft go overhead out here unless it's the medi-vac helicopter.. And when I hear that go by, my heart aches knowing that someone is hurt. We're too far out in the boonies and we're on no flight paths.

But like you, the sheriff departments "pot-copter" flies over head very frequently during particular seasons, hehe. Low enough sometimes that I can wave and see them wave back, hehe.. I'm sure they refer to me as "that crazy lady over yonder who's always standing out on the porch" after all these years, LOL!! I'm sure they've researched my longitude and latitude and gotten my personal data by now, knowing my real name. Hope they enjoy flying over my flower gardens, HA!!

Monee, IL

#80509 Jan 2, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I inherited an extensive collection of really old coins from a family member too. I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the sheer contents of the lock boxes that they came in and gave up trying to find everything on line so I could inventory it all...
Is there a reputable coin dealer anywhere within the radius of our posts that I could take these coins too? I need to get these the whole lot of them appraised and stored away in a safe deposit box. Right now, they're in a family members gun safe so no one can get them here if by some very slim chance we get broken into.
(Even with the surveillance system and alarms we have, I don't trust just letting them sit here like that)..
I have NO idea about the value of old coins. Can anyone give me a lead on someone I can trust to give me some accurate appraisals?
I did find a few of them, same years that I have and in much worse shape than mine are, that were selling on Ebay for up to and over $500.00 each with active bidders. Two collections of Morgans are in those blue books and are completed sets. So I know there are some pretty valuable coins in there. I just don't want to be lied to by a dishonest appraiser.
The few of the loose and duplicate coins I found that were only worth basically their own weight in "silver", I've removed and tucked away in my secret prepping areas should SHTF. Bartering material, so to speak..
Hey Nope. Google the "Coin Tracker" website. It is really good! I don't know of a good coin appraiser. They all seem to think they are good but I think most of them are full of bolony and crooked. Double check on storing things in a safe deposit box. I know the government wants to get their nose in on that, especially if something happens to the owner of the box. Also, if something really drastic should happen the government can take your precious metals away from you. IMO, you would be much better off to store them at home or a place where only you know where they are (and maybe one other person). I read on one big gold investment company website that if you purchase gold from them and they keep it stored for you, it is possible that the government can confiscate it if they think they need to. That has happened to people in the past and I have NO DOUBT it could happen again. I'd love to see your collection, coins are cool!:)
There is some outfit that appraises and grades coins. You might Google that.

#80510 Jan 2, 2013
West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Nope. Google the "Coin Tracker" website. It is really good! I don't know of a good coin appraiser. They all seem to think they are good but I think most of them are full of bolony and crooked. Double check on storing things in a safe deposit box. I know the government wants to get their nose in on that, especially if something happens to the owner of the box. Also, if something really drastic should happen the government can take your precious metals away from you. IMO, you would be much better off to store them at home or a place where only you know where they are (and maybe one other person). I read on one big gold investment company website that if you purchase gold from them and they keep it stored for you, it is possible that the government can confiscate it if they think they need to. That has happened to people in the past and I have NO DOUBT it could happen again. I'd love to see your collection, coins are cool!:)
There is some outfit that appraises and grades coins. You might Google that.
Thanks for the lead, but believe it or not I've already been on that site, hehe! This collection is too massive and I got bleary eyed after three hours of researching and making notes for the individual coins that are loose... I'm not kidding, this coin collection is something to behold and I was stunned to have gotten it.

There are a few old gold pieces in there and some old paper money too, but I'll never turn loose of those. The paper money itself isn't really that valuable and I get more joy from just looking at it than it would bring by selling it.
(Silver certificates, old confederate money and the likes)...

Like you, I wonder who all's hands it passed through, where it may have traveled, etc. It's amazing to imagine who all may have had it in their pockets at one time or the other.

I need to get these appraised for insurance reasons if nothing else. And my personal will states who gets what as far as any other assets already. So Uncle Sam and his minions will get VERY little of my personal assets when I pass away, if any at all. My stock certificates are designated to "transfer on death", so no one can take any control of them other than who I've willed them to. Even my house and the property is protected with multiple names on the deed.

I've tried the best I can to keep the government out of my pockets any more than they already are and have been.. I've done about all I can do. Aside from getting these coins dealt with, that is.

Monee, IL

#80511 Jan 2, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Yep, I'd like to hear more about it too. I hope that poster comes back to talk some more.
We very rarely have aircraft go overhead out here unless it's the medi-vac helicopter.. And when I hear that go by, my heart aches knowing that someone is hurt. We're too far out in the boonies and we're on no flight paths.
But like you, the sheriff departments "pot-copter" flies over head very frequently during particular seasons, hehe. Low enough sometimes that I can wave and see them wave back, hehe.. I'm sure they refer to me as "that crazy lady over yonder who's always standing out on the porch" after all these years, LOL!! I'm sure they've researched my longitude and latitude and gotten my personal data by now, knowing my real name. Hope they enjoy flying over my flower gardens, HA!!
HAAA! Me too! I fly out the door to watch them until they are out of sight. But I'm even worse, I take pictures of them! LOL I wave big time at the military aircraft. They probably think I am really a fruit loop! hahaha

Oh I was going to tell you, be sure not to ever clean your coins! They lose A LOT of value when you do that!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review - Dr Corbett plastic surgeon 4 hr Kelly 2
Louisville Cardinals vs Kentucky Wildcats Dec 2... 8 hr joeschmo 8
All gays should be put into concentration camps (Jan '11) 9 hr bhag bast 36
cts russell halfway house barbara strahm on com... (May '11) 10 hr CONCERNED TYAXPAYER 104
Group masturbation? (Feb '12) 10 hr Helen 23
brad jones fairdale 11 hr lmao 12
door to door meat sales (Jan '13) 18 hr joeschmo 63
Carla Rushing Aka The pornstar Cody lane Living... (Nov '11) Dec 22 The real cody lane 260
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Louisville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Louisville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:00AM