Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
67,681 - 67,700 of 81,557 Comments Last updated Thursday Jul 24

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Is this it?

MEL TILLIS' MOMMA'S BUTTERMILK
CORNBREAD
1 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. self-rising flour
1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients; add eggs and buttermilk. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In 8-inch cast iron skillet, add enough oil to coat bottom and sides of skillet. Pour mix in skillet and bake until top of cornbread is golden brown (approximately 25 minutes).

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

I have a big collection of cast iron skillets. So my cornbread especially is always made in one of them with the oil heated enough to sizzle when the batter hits it. I've even got my Grandma's huge cast iron chicken frying skillet with the cast iron lid too!! I'd not take ten thousand dollars for it.... Seriously, it's that special to me.

Since: Dec 12

La Grange, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I have a big collection of cast iron skillets. So my cornbread especially is always made in one of them with the oil heated enough to sizzle when the batter hits it. I've even got my Grandma's huge cast iron chicken frying skillet with the cast iron lid too!! I'd not take ten thousand dollars for it.... Seriously, it's that special to me.
I hear ya! All I use is a big skillet and a smaller one, both cast iron. I don't have one with a lid though but I've been aiming to get one. I can't wait to try some recipes from my, "The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook" that I bought myself for Christmas. lol Looks like some great recipes in it.
That's not the recipe I was thinking of. Let me go find it and I'll post it.
my guy

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

yes i agree

La Grange, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Mel Tillis Cornbread
2 c. cottage cheese
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped green peppers
10 oz. broccoli florets
1-1/2 stick butter (softened)
5 eggs
2 pkg. Jiffy Cornbread Mix
Mix cottage cheese, onion, green peppers, broccoli, butter, eggs and Jiffy Cornbread mix. Pour into ungreased 9 x 13-inch pan . Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until done in the center.
W KY Girl and Nope

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

another way to derail a thread from any meaningful discussion of relevant topics is to flood a thread with meaningless banter about such nonsense as cornbread recipes and cast iron skillets. This is a tactic used by dis/mis-information agents when truth is exposed and they cannot think of anything to say as a counter-argument.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

WOW, now that's some exotic cornbread!! I have everything here to try out a batch, too. I'm sure I'll like it because I like all the ingredients in it, hehe! Thanks!! I'll let ya know now it turns out after I make some for us.

I've read where you mentioned that cookbook before. Where did you get it?

I ask because also have a big cast iron stew pot, guess modern folk would call it a Dutch oven, with the lid. Those skillets and pots are priceless as far as I'm concerned. As long as you keep them seasoned and NEVER, EVER, let a drop of soap touch them, they'll last till the end of time...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Well, I'm headed off to dream land. Wonder where everyone else was tonight, WKG? Resting up maybe?

I'll talk to you later. And thanks for that recipe! Can't wait to try it!

Have a blessed evening!!

_-_Nope_-_
Richard

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

W KY Girl and Nope wrote:
another way to derail a thread from any meaningful discussion of relevant topics is to flood a thread with meaningless banter about such nonsense as cornbread recipes and cast iron skillets. This is a tactic used by dis/mis-information agents when truth is exposed and they cannot think of anything to say as a counter-argument.
This years flu shot liked to killed me. I took it over a month ago, ended up in the hospital days after taking it with abdominal pain. I never got a reasonable explanation as to what had caused the pain. Had a swollen liver, got tested for hep a,b and c- all came back neg. After 48 hours of IV fluids I felt better and was released.
Now guess what? I have the worse damn flu I've have had in years and years. Feel like I am dying.
Goodnight.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

W KY Girl and Nope wrote:
And flatulence is a brain bending, earth changing topic of conversation?

These are open forums. You were vacant, yet NOW you pop in to berate us for our choice of conversation material? Where you perhaps loitering in the background, waiting to interject? If so, I lightly apologize for upsetting what you must consider a delicate yet absurd balance of topic matter in a thread that has veered off course for years already..

We can and will talk about anything we find of interest to speak about between each other. Just as you have to freedom to do the same.

Furthermore, politeness goes a long way toward maintaining ANY conversation. Might be something for you to think about.

I am rude to no one on here, and I could only hope for the same in return from 'other' parties who join in on the chatter in here..

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Richard wrote:
<quoted text>
This years flu shot liked to killed me. I took it over a month ago, ended up in the hospital days after taking it with abdominal pain. I never got a reasonable explanation as to what had caused the pain. Had a swollen liver, got tested for hep a,b and c- all came back neg. After 48 hours of IV fluids I felt better and was released.
Now guess what? I have the worse damn flu I've have had in years and years. Feel like I am dying.
Goodnight.
Get well soon, Richard. I'm sorry to hear that you were hospitalized and have been so ill.

I'm curious what may have caused your illness myself, as I recall those cases involving the tainted steroidal/cortisone injections a few months ago, one of which killed a local judge from Tennessee I believe? I had my flu shot and had no adverse reactions, nor have I been sick yet with any seasonal ailments.

I'll say a prayer for you as I lay down tonight.
Open

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
And flatulence is a brain bending, earth changing topic of conversation?
These are open forums. You were vacant, yet NOW you pop in to berate us for our choice of conversation material? Where you perhaps loitering in the background, waiting to interject? If so, I lightly apologize for upsetting what you must consider a delicate yet absurd balance of topic matter in a thread that has veered off course for years already..
We can and will talk about anything we find of interest to speak about between each other. Just as you have to freedom to do the same.
Furthermore, politeness goes a long way toward maintaining ANY conversation. Might be something for you to think about.
I am rude to no one on here, and I could only hope for the same in return from 'other' parties who join in on the chatter in here..
Una talking about flatulence was just another tactic by mis/dis-information agents to discourage people from returning to this popular thread. When that didn't work, then you try to bore people to death with meaningless nonsense. Politeness is like political correctness, where controversial issues are avoided and everyone agrees for the sake of politeness, and frankly these conversations tend not to last too long. Debating controversial topics is much more likely to maintain an extended and meaningful conversation, and this is largely the reason why this thread has gone on for so long. When it gets boring here, I like to stir the pot by presenting controversial and relevant issues, and when I can get others to try to debate with me, that's when it gets really interesting and thought provoking. Tell me, what's so mentally stimulating about cornbread recipes and cast iron skillets?
A Rich Dr

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Richard wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodnight.
We talked about the dangers of vaccines at length on this thread about a year ago...bottom line, don't do it.

La Grange, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
WOW, now that's some exotic cornbread!! I have everything here to try out a batch, too. I'm sure I'll like it because I like all the ingredients in it, hehe! Thanks!! I'll let ya know now it turns out after I make some for us.
I've read where you mentioned that cookbook before. Where did you get it?
I ask because also have a big cast iron stew pot, guess modern folk would call it a Dutch oven, with the lid. Those skillets and pots are priceless as far as I'm concerned. As long as you keep them seasoned and NEVER, EVER, let a drop of soap touch them, they'll last till the end of time...
Hi Nope. I was off searching for the name of a dang cooking show I watch. I
could not think of it but finally found it!- "A Taste of History" http://atasteofhistory.org/ It's a pretty neat show, comes on KET here. He cooks using cast iron over open fires....And you get a history lesson along with the cooking demonstrations. lol. Check it out sometime if you can.

I agree, I love cast iron. My mom use to want that non-stick stuff. I finally quit buying it because it doesn't last anytime until the coating starts coming off. Then there is aluminum. I have read that using it causes Alzheimers. No thanks! And my stainless, it would stick too much. So, I quit using all of those and got out the old cast iron and that's all I use. I found that cookbook in Lowe's. I'm not sure but I think I saw it in Gander Mountain also. They have a lot of cast iron there.

I love that cornbread! I have been aiming to make some but haven't lately. It's so moist! I bet you'll like it.:)
Gordon Johnson

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

i saw that

La Grange, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Well, I'm headed off to dream land. Wonder where everyone else was tonight, WKG? Resting up maybe?
I'll talk to you later. And thanks for that recipe! Can't wait to try it!
Have a blessed evening!!
_-_Nope_-_
Good night Nope!:)...you're welcome.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Open wrote:
<quoted text>
Una talking about flatulence was just another tactic by mis/dis-information agents to discourage people from returning to this popular thread. When that didn't work, then you try to bore people to death with meaningless nonsense. Politeness is like political correctness, where controversial issues are avoided and everyone agrees for the sake of politeness, and frankly these conversations tend not to last too long. Debating controversial topics is much more likely to maintain an extended and meaningful conversation, and this is largely the reason why this thread has gone on for so long. When it gets boring here, I like to stir the pot by presenting controversial and relevant issues, and when I can get others to try to debate with me, that's when it gets really interesting and thought provoking. Tell me, what's so mentally stimulating about cornbread recipes and cast iron skillets?
You're not going to succeed into baiting me as you have tried to with AW. I don't roll that way, darlin'. YOUR synopsis of boredom may not be that of other people in here.

To each their own.

So by all means, carry on and converse as you wish. "Stir that pot" to your hearts content. It's not my style to badger people. Never has been and I'm not going to start now..... I'm proficient at skipping over things that don't interest me, and I can also avoid conversations from those I consider to be intellectual bores.

Have a good evening.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Nope. I was off searching for the name of a dang cooking show I watch. I
could not think of it but finally found it!- "A Taste of History" http://atasteofhistory.org/ It's a pretty neat show, comes on KET here. He cooks using cast iron over open fires....And you get a history lesson along with the cooking demonstrations. lol. Check it out sometime if you can.
I agree, I love cast iron. My mom use to want that non-stick stuff. I finally quit buying it because it doesn't last anytime until the coating starts coming off. Then there is aluminum. I have read that using it causes Alzheimers. No thanks! And my stainless, it would stick too much. So, I quit using all of those and got out the old cast iron and that's all I use. I found that cookbook in Lowe's. I'm not sure but I think I saw it in Gander Mountain also. They have a lot of cast iron there.
I love that cornbread! I have been aiming to make some but haven't lately. It's so moist! I bet you'll like it.:)
I stopped using anything except cast iron cookware when the Teflon warnings started to come out many years ago. Plus the fact that I always seem to have an exotic pet bird of some kind within my menagerie of critter kids. Any hazardous fumes can kill them very quickly.

I also noticed that eventually the non-stick "coatings" on that type of cookware will eventually end up IN your food when scratches get bad on the surface. I won't even microwave anything in plastic any more. Carcinogens are in about everything we own these days. Our homes are full of formaldehyde and other cancer causing elements. More than we may even be made privy to.

La Grange, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Richard wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodnight.
Sorry you're feeling so crappy Richard. My boyfriend had what I think was the flu and is just now coming out of it. What symptoms are you having?
Open

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not going to succeed into baiting me as you have tried to with AW. I don't roll that way, darlin'. YOUR synopsis of boredom may not be that of other people in here.
To each their own.
So by all means, carry on and converse as you wish. "Stir that pot" to your hearts content. It's not my style to badger people. Never has been and I'm not going to start now..... I'm proficient at skipping over things that don't interest me, and I can also avoid conversations from those I consider to be intellectual bores.
Have a good evening.
Agreed, I will skip over your boring conversation from now on and will refrain from responding to your posts from here on, and I hope you can keep your promise to ignore mine as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

46 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Rotten West End parents 14 min LouisvilleKYreport 2
Republicans 27 min hovel 1
Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 1 hr lol 1,018
East End Crossing road construction MESS! 11 hr LouisvilleKYreport 6
carla rushing/cody lane 12 hr Looks like 3
justin andrew hunter 13 hr Alicia 2
What time can inmates make calls from Louisvill... 14 hr LouisvilleKYreport 6
Carla Rebecca Rushing Stage Name Cody Lane Loui... (Jan '14) Fri john 48
•••