Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,384)

Showing posts 67,661 - 67,680 of81,540
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Ok, since you guys are having a violent time here perhaps you can assist in my search for a Finnish soldier who is credited with 21 confirmed knife kills. I've been digging for an hour with no luck. Sure you may think it's good ol boy Simo Häyhä, but no. He was quite the sniper but I recall this dude who took out 21 Russians with his blade. The only reference I found was from Col Rex Applegate, who has a few knife kills, 7 I think,, and mentions this Finn soldier by deed not name. This dude is hiding, but I'm set on finding him.

Since: Dec 12

La Grange, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Country ham, cabbage, greens, blackeyed peas and hog jowel cooking. Cornbread's in the oven. Y'all come on!:)

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Sick of the Fiscal Cliff.
Let's move on.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

West KY Girl wrote:
Country ham, cabbage, greens, blackeyed peas and hog jowel cooking. Cornbread's in the oven. Y'all come on!:)
I already had pork and saur kraut with fried corn bread. But Thanks.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Sick of the Fiscal Cliff.
Let's move on.
I was looking at the index and saw that somebody had posted on another thread as "Clifford Fiscal". LOL I did not go.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

@AW, thought you would like this article in today's Courier Journal since today is the anniversary of the attack:

Artifacts help pinpoint key Hatfield-McCoy battle
Artifacts recently unearthed during the filming of a new National Geographic Channel show appear to pinpoint the location of a turning point in the yearslong feud between the Hatfield and McCoy clans.

On New Year's Day of 1888 in eastern Kentucky, the Hatfield clan set Randolph McCoy's cabin ablaze and gunned down two members of the rival family.

Excavators have found bullets believed to have been fired by the McCoys in self-defense, along with fragments of windows and ceramic from a cabin.
Kim McBride, co-director of the Kentucky Archaeological Survey, also says the deed to the land was traced back to Randolph McCoy.

The property is owned by Bob Scott, a Hatfield descendant who suspected for years the land was the site of the attack.

http://www.courier-journal.com/viewart/201301...
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Then there are the guys that jump on the hood of your car and start wiping the windows. They are really holding you up for cash (a dollar of two will do, thank goodness.) The subways are most enlightening: You get crammed in them like cattle in a cattle car. And while you're standing up, hanging on to a strap for balance, some pervert squeezes in behind you, and you get the picture. If you're female, you hope that it's a gay man that's behind you. At least he's not interested. Ah, the joys of city living!!
I like big cities for about a day, then zap me back to sanity. I guess it comes from Christmas shopping in downtown Cincinnati as a kid and going in and out of all the big tall stores from the snowy streets. I like the open air farmers markets like the old Findley market in downtown Cincy and nw side of DC. Nothing like the cornucopia of aromas wifting the air,, not so much the fish mkt though, lol.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I was looking at the index and saw that somebody had posted on another thread as "Clifford Fiscal". LOL I did not go.
LOL! I musta missed it.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

@AB .. yes interesting. I acquired about 6 boxes of old papers from my Aunt's old attic and have been looking through them from time to time.

I recently found where in 1842, my ancestor had a receipt for 40 cents paid to a black smith for shoeing his horses. I don't know if that was 10 cents a hoof or was for more than one horse.

But one of the most interesting was a paperback booklet of "Lydia Pinkham's, Ailments Pecular to Women" and on the inside cover it said since the booklet contained information of a delicate matter, it should be read in privacy and was not for public viewing. LOL My how times have changed.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

I just now looked up Lydia Pinkham on the internet and it said she lived from 1819 to 1893 and suffered from many women's ailments and concocted some remedies in her own kitchen.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
@AB .. yes interesting. I acquired about 6 boxes of old papers from my Aunt's old attic and have been looking through them from time to time.
I recently found where in 1842, my ancestor had a receipt for 40 cents paid to a black smith for shoeing his horses. I don't know if that was 10 cents a hoof or was for more than one horse.
But one of the most interesting was a paperback booklet of "Lydia Pinkham's, Ailments Pecular to Women" and on the inside cover it said since the booklet contained information of a delicate matter, it should be read in privacy and was not for public viewing. LOL My how times have changed.
You are always coming across the most interesting things. I would love to go through some old attic treasures. Especially old newspapers and documents. I looked old Lydia up and was quite interested in her story. You can still buy the book for $12.98. lol
I liked how they compared her to modern day Dr. Ruth and Ann Landers:

She was the late 1800s version of Dr. Ruth and Ann Landers. She was a pioneer who was praised by women, yet often ridiculed by the male dominated "establishment", whose feathers she often ruffled by her outspoken common-sense approach to women's health and sexual matters.

Lydia is, however, most famous for her herbal formula for women. A product that she began selling in 1875, which has been used by millions of women.

Herbal formulations sold today for PMS and hot flashes owe much of their acceptance to the amazing efforts of Lydia and her company.
The effort Lydia made to provide women with an alternative to the poor medical services available in the late 1800s, lives on in our modern day version of Lydia's vision, LydiaPinkham.org .
http://www.lydiapinkham.com/thestory.html
Richard

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
@AW, thought you would like this article in today's Courier Journal since today is the anniversary of the attack:
Artifacts help pinpoint key Hatfield-McCoy battle
Artifacts recently unearthed during the filming of a new National Geographic Channel show appear to pinpoint the location of a turning point in the yearslong feud between the Hatfield and McCoy clans.
On New Year's Day of 1888 in eastern Kentucky, the Hatfield clan set Randolph McCoy's cabin ablaze and gunned down two members of the rival family.
Excavators have found bullets believed to have been fired by the McCoys in self-defense, along with fragments of windows and ceramic from a cabin.
Kim McBride, co-director of the Kentucky Archaeological Survey, also says the deed to the land was traced back to Randolph McCoy.
The property is owned by Bob Scott, a Hatfield descendant who suspected for years the land was the site of the attack.
http://www.courier-journal.com/viewart/201301...
are you feeling better? I hope so, I have spent the whole day sick, so much for the flue shot this year, didn't help a bit. How long did it take for you to get to feeling any better?

La Grange, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I already had pork and saur kraut with fried corn bread. But Thanks.
Hi AW.:) Your kraut sounds good too, as well as the fried cornbread. Is it "hot water cornbread?" I love that stuff. My boyfriend was in the grocery today and he said at least half the buggies in the store had a head of cabbage in them. lol

La Grange, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Hempburn wrote:
Ok, since you guys are having a violent time here perhaps you can assist in my search for a Finnish soldier who is credited with 21 confirmed knife kills. I've been digging for an hour with no luck. Sure you may think it's good ol boy Simo Häyhä, but no. He was quite the sniper but I recall this dude who took out 21 Russians with his blade. The only reference I found was from Col Rex Applegate, who has a few knife kills, 7 I think,, and mentions this Finn soldier by deed not name. This dude is hiding, but I'm set on finding him.
I know some chicks from the hood that I bet could teach him a thing or two about using a knife. lol

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Richard wrote:
<quoted text>are you feeling better? I hope so, I have spent the whole day sick, so much for the flue shot this year, didn't help a bit. How long did it take for you to get to feeling any better?
I'm sorry you're feeling bad. Hope you get well quickly.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi AW.:) Your kraut sounds good too, as well as the fried cornbread. Is it "hot water cornbread?" I love that stuff. My boyfriend was in the grocery today and he said at least half the buggies in the store had a head of cabbage in them. lol
I was going to cook some cabbage and pork today, but we went with Chinese instead, LOL! Spicy Mongolian beef to be exact.. Broiled fresh green beans on the side.

But tomorrow it's gonna be fried cabbage with crumbled bacon and onions, and a slow roasted pork loin with smashed garlic/sour cream/cheddar taters..
(AKA, loaded smashed taters, hehe).

How do you make this "hot water" cornbread? I've never done that before! I've made Polenta and sliced it up then fried it in bacon grease.. I've even added finely diced green onions, cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles to it when I felt like going "exotic", hehe. But is that the same thing as this "hot water" cornbread?
lib

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

after what happened in Washington today i look for lot more of birds to be falling.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

lib wrote:
after what happened in Washington today i look for lot more of birds to be falling.
Soon, I believe.

La Grange, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I was going to cook some cabbage and pork today, but we went with Chinese instead, LOL! Spicy Mongolian beef to be exact.. Broiled fresh green beans on the side.
But tomorrow it's gonna be fried cabbage with crumbled bacon and onions, and a slow roasted pork loin with smashed garlic/sour cream/cheddar taters..
(AKA, loaded smashed taters, hehe).
How do you make this "hot water" cornbread? I've never done that before! I've made Polenta and sliced it up then fried it in bacon grease.. I've even added finely diced green onions, cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles to it when I felt like going "exotic", hehe. But is that the same thing as this "hot water" cornbread?
My grandmother use to make hot water cornbread. You have your grease hot in the skillet then stir together boiling water and corn meal and spoon it into the skillet making small patties. Sounds easy enough but I still can't make it taste like my grandmother did. I like it a lot better than regular cornbread baked in the oven. It's greasy but I use olive oil so that's not a big deal. Have you ever tried "Mel Tellis Cornbread?" Now that stuff is like a dessert!:)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever tried "Mel Tellis Cornbread?" Now that stuff is like a dessert!:)
NO! I've never heard of that, and that sounds interesting!! Is there an internet recipe for it, or do you have a secret family one you'd not mind sharing?
:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 67,661 - 67,680 of81,540
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

51 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Growing up at St .Thomas St .Vincent Orphanage ? (Sep '10) 18 min John Maerz 65
Mitch McConnell 23 min hound dogs 18
Member 2 hr Dak 1
wave 3 former derrick jones? (Aug '13) 4 hr LouisvilleKYreport 34
American Cancer Society - Celebrate the Sweet L... 4 hr 1234_abc 1
Dickey's Barbecue Pit to open in Lexington 5 hr Truth 1
Crews working fatal accident on Southern Parkway 6 hr LouisvilleKYreport 7
•••
•••