Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
67,501 - 67,520 of 81,557 Comments Last updated Thursday

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler was a hypochondriac, some of his daily meds included; cocaine, injected amphetamines, glucose, testosterone, estradiol, and corticosteroids. In addition, he was given a preparation made from a gun cleaner, a compound of strychnine and atropine, an extract of seminal vesicles, and numerous vitamins and 'tonics'. It seems possible that some of Hitler's behaviour, illnesses and suffering can be attributed to his medical care. The strychnine was to help his extreme flatulence. His breath was reported to be absolutly aweful,,, master race member, lol.
Did you know that corticosteroids can trigger a psychotic episode in sensitive individuals? It's called steroid psychosis. The first time I saw this was when a person who had severe pulmonary problems was given steroid injections in an attempt to save her life. She went from a perfectly normal person to a stark, raving mad lunatic. She began to physically attack medical staff, including the neurologist, who was hit over the head with her television remote device. Maybe chronic use of steroids contributed to Hitler's psych. problems.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Good morning,everyone. It's cold here in Lebanon, but we had only a dusting of snow. It's still too much like winter, though. I am definitely a spring and summer person.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. I keep a 60 watt bulb dangling down over the chicken's water and it is working well at 22. I don't know what will happen at lower temps or if the electric goes out. I guess I could put the chickens in the spare bedroom. LOL
Hello, AW. I just hope that bulb does not drop down into the water, or your chickens will turn into fryers LOL. Do you have any chicken coops for your birds? You sound very handy, and it would take little cost to build one. When I was up north, we took "Frisky" our very very old chicken into the cellar when we had extremely frigid or snowy weather. The kids kept her as a pet when they were growing up. She sure did enjoy her little apartment in the cellar,and I think that she looked forward to inclement weather so that she could come in.(Unfortunately I had to clean up after her each day).

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Hempburn wrote:
Yet another sleepless night, fourth in a row and I'm begining to drag. I've never slept more than three hours a night but seems as I get older my body has changed and it's not enough anymore but sleep still avoids me. Oh well I'll shut down eventually. Ya'll have a good morning.
I sympathize with you. I get about 3-4 hours a night, plus an afternoon nap of about an hour. Lately, I haven't been able to get even that, and I drag around all day. It is not a pleasant feeling to feel sleep-deprived.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Good one Ancient Wolf. I hope your son makes it down to see you before the "winter weather advisory" 10 am today until 1pm tomorrow for Indiana and the Louisville area kicks in. Hopefully it will stay across the river so people will be safer travelling around celebrating the New Year tonight. I WON'T be one of them. I am still sick and will wrap up in my mink blanket cuddled in the corner of my couch and watch it on TV. Ugh, going to miss some good food, fun, friends and family tonight. Oh well, won't be the first time. I just hope everyone is safe out there.
You and dog stay warm and enjoy the day. Every day's a gift. Hope the New Year is a better one.
I don't think the weather is going to stop him, but the stomach virus might. I am not going to hope for a better year, this past year was good enough. I maintained my health and dog and I had plenty to eat (even though it was not always the greatest) and most all my close friends and family made it through and those that did not have made it to a better place. I am blessed to not have had years similar to 2004, 2005 and 2009.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Good morning members of the "Dead Bird Society". It was very interesting to catch up this morning. I just finished reading back through where I left off yesterday. What insight some of you have! I loved all of your opinions. And the Hitler material? Remarkable. Things I'd never considered that could have contributed to his insanity! Well done, bird people, well done!! I'm sitting here wanting to read more about that particular subject now! Like a good book that you can't put down!

By the way, I got that delivery made yesterday. It was even more enjoyable than I'd imagined.. Nice to make someone smile. I don't know who felt better, him or me. His dear wife made us all some snacks for the visit, and we had a wonderful time talking.

Life is good...

I hope this thread stays on track today again. How amazing it was to read all of these tidbits of info, and right here in one place. Outstanding and very thought provoking....

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Gina wrote:
This topic is no longer about "dead birds". Could you please start a NEW discussion thread and let this one die out? It has almost 68,000 comments. Who is going to take the time to read all of them?
It has become a personal chat about kids, weather, etc. that has nothing at all to do with dead birds. NEW THREAD PLEASE. Let's put this one to rest....
Why should it bother you??? Eventually we will get around to talking about birds....we always do. The fact that this thread has almost 68,000 comments suggests that most posters find something of interest here. If this thread upsets you, why don't you start a different one???? Some people find the smallest things to be disgruntled about.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, AW. I just hope that bulb does not drop down into the water, or your chickens will turn into fryers LOL. Do you have any chicken coops for your birds? You sound very handy, and it would take little cost to build one. When I was up north, we took "Frisky" our very very old chicken into the cellar when we had extremely frigid or snowy weather. The kids kept her as a pet when they were growing up. She sure did enjoy her little apartment in the cellar,and I think that she looked forward to inclement weather so that she could come in.(Unfortunately I had to clean up after her each day).
I have a 20' by 20' enclosed "barn" with only the 4th side open with wire all the way up to the metal roof over the entire thing. The back 10' X 20' has a 4' pass thru from the wired in area to the enclosed back 1/2, which is lined with hay and straw and includes 12 nesting boxes and several roosting rafters. My dangling light bulb is permanently attached about a foot over 1/2 of a 5 gallon drywall bucket which so far has not frozen. I built a "step up" where the chickens can climb up to reach over into the bucket to drink. When temps are above freezing I turn them out to free range and drink from the creek.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Also the wired in 1/2 has the the heavy black plastic/rubber around the bottom. Similar to what one would see at a road construction site. that keeps wind and varmits away. I have 22 hens and 1 happy rooster LOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should it bother you??? Eventually we will get around to talking about birds....we always do. The fact that this thread has almost 68,000 comments suggests that most posters find something of interest here. If this thread upsets you, why don't you start a different one???? Some people find the smallest things to be disgruntled about.
Very true, Oglala. This thread has survived and still thrives. One of the three or four Topix "gem" threads to do such... I'm not one to argue politics or sexual orientation, so I avoid the others on here that are aimed in that direction.
When you have this many comments on one thread, there is no feasible way to expect every single comment to stay on track, lol. It's got to veer at some point. But as you said, it always goes back to the topic at hand.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think the weather is going to stop him, but the stomach virus might. I am not going to hope for a better year, this past year was good enough. I maintained my health and dog and I had plenty to eat (even though it was not always the greatest) and most all my close friends and family made it through and those that did not have made it to a better place. I am blessed to not have had years similar to 2004, 2005 and 2009.
It probably won't stop him and it probably won't be that bad anyway. I always hope for a better year despite how good the one passing has been, but when so many loved ones die in one year, my hope is this new one will be better in NOT having anyone else leave us. Plus, with the hatred rampant over the election, we could use a peaceful year of love, joy, giving, tolerance, hope, prosperity to erase such a bad one (in general). Some of us aren't as lucky as you to have a peaceful existence in our family homestead with carefree days. I am glad you do have them. You deserve them.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Ancient Wolf wrote:
Also the wired in 1/2 has the the heavy black plastic/rubber around the bottom. Similar to what one would see at a road construction site. that keeps wind and varmits away. I have 22 hens and 1 happy rooster LOL
Have you ever had any of those varmints climb your fence? I seem to have finally chased away a very pesky raccoon that was terrorizing my hens last fall. Either that, or someone hunted him down and shot him.

We have a lot of coon hunting that goes on around here. We hear their coon dogs and eventual shots fired pretty often. But that bugger we had coming in the coop area here was persistent..

He surely thought he'd beat me... Well, he kind of did I guess, beings as I have no idea where he went to.. Aside from the fact that I spent so much money on traps and such that never worked to get him, etc. LOL!!

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a 20' by 20' enclosed "barn" with only the 4th side open with wire all the way up to the metal roof over the entire thing. The back 10' X 20' has a 4' pass thru from the wired in area to the enclosed back 1/2, which is lined with hay and straw and includes 12 nesting boxes and several roosting rafters. My dangling light bulb is permanently attached about a foot over 1/2 of a 5 gallon drywall bucket which so far has not frozen. I built a "step up" where the chickens can climb up to reach over into the bucket to drink. When temps are above freezing I turn them out to free range and drink from the creek.
I was only kidding about the light bulb. That's quite a nice set-up that you have. When I had my chickens, I had only a 12X12 coop, with a small opening for the chickens to go out in their fenced-in yard. The coop was insulated and had nesting boxes and perches. I used to go out twice a day with fresh water, when temperatures were below freezing. I never thought of the light bulb idea when I had the chickens. It sure sounds like an easy, labor-saving device.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
I had 10 hens and one hen-pecked rooster. The "girls" told him what to do. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
It probably won't stop him and it probably won't be that bad anyway. I always hope for a better year despite how good the one passing has been, but when so many loved ones die in one year, my hope is this new one will be better in NOT having anyone else leave us. Plus, with the hatred rampant over the election, we could use a peaceful year of love, joy, giving, tolerance, hope, prosperity to erase such a bad one (in general). Some of us aren't as lucky as you to have a peaceful existence in our family homestead with carefree days. I am glad you do have them. You deserve them.
Thanks. But it is not completely carefree, I just have to work to keep it that way and keep my chin up when it is not. I can see my blessings better when I look up. When I look down, all I see is my worn out shoes. LOL
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Good morning lala, "Nope", Imposter (what nano second you were here lol). I hope you all stay warm and enjoy the last day of the year. I agree with you "Nope", I don't do political, sexual orientation, or religion arguments either. That ole saying about "don't talk religion or politics" has always rang true for me. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. This thread is the only one I have enjoyed reading. I think it is the most unique one listed. I have learned alot from some of these posts over the last 2 years. It amazes me that people think we are still talking about the birds dropping dead in Jan 2011. lol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I had 10 hens and one hen-pecked rooster. The "girls" told him what to do. LOL
Good ratio there, roo to hen. When I first got "pet" chickens years ago, I got two hens and a roo. God, he about tore them to pieces being overly amorous. Poor things couldn't even peck in peace. Had to add hens to his harem, and quickly, LOL! Afterward, he was one happy guy, let me tell you!! I still miss that little banty roo. Had he been as big as he thought he was bad, I'd have had a serial "hen" molester on my hands, hehe!!
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. But it is not completely carefree, I just have to work to keep it that way and keep my chin up when it is not. I can see my blessings better when I look up. When I look down, all I see is my worn out shoes. LOL
You do that well and have been an inspiration to many of us these last two years. I always count my blessings each day and try to only look down when bowing my head to pray.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever had any of those varmints climb your fence? I seem to have finally chased away a very pesky raccoon that was terrorizing my hens last fall. Either that, or someone hunted him down and shot him.
We have a lot of coon hunting that goes on around here. We hear their coon dogs and eventual shots fired pretty often. But that bugger we had coming in the coop area here was persistent..
He surely thought he'd beat me... Well, he kind of did I guess, beings as I have no idea where he went to.. Aside from the fact that I spent so much money on traps and such that never worked to get him, etc. LOL!!
My fenced area goes all the way up to the metal roof and has the black rubber at the bottom. The only time I have had a pesky varmit (opossum) in the "barn" is when I left the storm door (old used one) opem so the chickens could free range. My boot in his hiney made him decide to move on. LOL Plus, my dog showed him the way back into the woods.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Abeliever wrote:
Good morning lala, "Nope". I hope you all stay warm and enjoy the last day of the year. I agree with you "Nope", I don't do political, sexual orientation, or religion arguments either. That ole saying about "don't talk religion or politics" has always rang true for me. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. This thread is the only one I have enjoyed reading. I think it is the most unique one listed. I have learned alot from some of these posts over the last 2 years. It amazes me that people think we are still talking about the birds dropping dead in Jan 2011. lol
Good morning AB! I'm having a great day! On my way back from dropping off the gift basket yesterday, I stopped off at WalMart to see about any Christmas plants they might have in the discount section. Which they did, by the way. But I also found a new coffee pot! One of those that will make either one cup or a whole pot full? It was on sale, and I mean REALLY on sale, so I got one. I can have my single cups of decaf now while everyone else enjoys a pot of high test!!

If anyone needs a new coffee pot, I suggest hitting up WallyWorld in the next day or so.... Even though I don't care for that place, but our shopping choices are limited here...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Louisville Forum right now

Search the Louisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
probation violators for burglary 17 min Mayonaze 1
Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 24 min LMS 1,021
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr sallygreen 26,195
Another West End Loser 5 hr LMS 5
More Urban losers 6 hr Karma 3
2 men arrested after robbery at Circle K on Por... 7 hr LouisvilleKYreport 7
Police investigate armed robbery at Hardee's in... 7 hr hhh 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Louisville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••