Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,640

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

Since: Dec 12

Mchenry, IL

#79881 Dec 29, 2012
Well Nope, I am headed to bed too. You take care.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#79887 Dec 29, 2012
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember drinking fresh cow's milk when I was a kid. The farmer would bring over a few bottles. The cream on the top was the best part. Oh, those were the days. The farmer would make me a special bottle of chocolate milk.(At that age, I thought it came from a brown cow, LOL)
We never even had electricity, so no refridgeration. We put fresh milk in gallon jars and stored it in the natural spring here at the Homestead. Dad had even made a small shed to put over the spring to shade it and keep out leaves and such. I still have the old white metal dipper that hung out by the spring. On summer days, there was nothing like a cool dipper full of fresh spring water.
OhioJeepGirl

Georgetown, KY

#79893 Dec 29, 2012
W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of goats do you have?
Nubian and Nubian Boer cross. I had some pure Boers and decided to get out of them. They get very big and hard to maintain. Boers are better for meat. A Nubian Boer cross makes them more disease resistant and so I crossed them. I started with two boers and fell in love with spotted nubians! Nubians are good for milk and high in butter fat.

All goats are really good for getting into your neighbors (and your sweetie's mother's flowers) gardens, bushes, and flowers! Ha ha ha! I had a lot of lovely flowers and herbs planted until I started getting into goats about 4+ years ago. We did not even plant a garden last season.

Baby time is the best! Baby goats will make you laugh on your worst day! Once they start to bounce there is no stopping them! Goats have been my favorite farm animal so far.
Mumma

Crestwood, KY

#79894 Dec 29, 2012
NOTHING about the birds here !!!
OhioJeepGirl

Georgetown, KY

#79895 Dec 29, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
you are one up on me, I did not know you could not sell milk, bummer. I make butter and it would be nice to be able find someone who did, even goat.
We will have to talk about butter making this spring! I always wanted to try and just have not started yet. If we lived closer I could legally "give" you goats milk.=)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#79896 Dec 29, 2012
In the winter, they tied a garlic on a string and you wore the thing around your neck. I guess the idea was that you stunk so bad that snotty nose kids stayed away from you. LOL
Mumma

Crestwood, KY

#79897 Dec 29, 2012
Mumma wrote:
NOTHING about the birds here !!!
still nothing about the birds here !
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#79898 Dec 29, 2012
Mumma wrote:
<quoted text>
still nothing about the birds here !
It is dark out right now and we can't see them. Come back at daylight.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#79899 Dec 29, 2012
dog is back, so I am out of here too. Good Night John Boy.
OhioJeepGirl

Georgetown, KY

#79900 Dec 29, 2012
LOL By the time I have caught up everyone went to bed!

Great to see "Nope" posting!

I picked a good night to come home for a visit. Lots of good posts to read. I may stop in again tomorrow.

I am off to bed myself.

John Boy: Good night Elizabeth.
Mumma

Crestwood, KY

#79901 Dec 30, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
dog is back, so I am out of here too. Good Night John Boy.
thanks for the laugh :)
Mumma

Crestwood, KY

#79902 Dec 30, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
It is dark out right now and we can't see them. Come back at daylight.
oops this one! lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#79903 Dec 30, 2012
Good Morning Mumma. I have a few birds outside my window trying to find some old grass seeds I threw out. I hope you have a pleasant day.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#79904 Dec 30, 2012
I can't afford the expensive birdseed, but I have about 25 pounds of old grass seed that a local farmer claimed would not grow, plus I bought a 50 pound bag of Layena chicken crumbles that I scatter about. That 75 pounds will last the birds most all winter.

Mchenry, IL

#79905 Dec 30, 2012
Good morning AW and Mumma. How are things in your neck of the woods?:)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#79906 Dec 30, 2012
West KY Girl wrote:
Good morning AW and Mumma. How are things in your neck of the woods?:)
Everything is fine here, just cold. But that makes us more appreciative when it is better. Dog, chickens, birds, and I all had plenty to eat and I am looking out the window to see if I can see my deer. The best part of this day is that the CREATOR let me wake up one more time. I hope your day is nice.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#79907 Dec 30, 2012
Still cold. Wish it was warmer.

Esmond, IL

#79909 Dec 30, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything is fine here, just cold. But that makes us more appreciative when it is better. Dog, chickens, birds, and I all had plenty to eat and I am looking out the window to see if I can see my deer. The best part of this day is that the CREATOR let me wake up one more time. I hope your day is nice.
Sounds like you are on the ball this morning.:) I agree about the cold, I'm still wrapped up! Yeah these cold days make spring that much better. I love it when everything greens up and the birds get busy building their nests. I guess that's my favorite time of year. Thank you and I hope you have a nice day too.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#79912 Dec 30, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
We will have to talk about butter making this spring! I always wanted to try and just have not started yet. If we lived closer I could legally "give" you goats milk.=)
Here is a very easy way to make about two pounds of butter in less than five minutes., buy half and half, pour it in a food processor. Add one table spoon salt if you want it salted. Blend.

After about two minutes it will begin to clump so watch it like a hawk. The liquid will about be gone, then it will begin to spin off a whitish liquid,, that is butter milk,, yes you can make biscuits with it. When the butter milk production seems to end you are done.

Scoop out the butter. If you wish you can squeeze out a bit more liquid between paper towels. Slap it in a bowl and serve.
When it is butter you can add other tasty additions like garlic or honey for honey butter... it will keep in the frige as long as any other butter. Rewind. half & half, blender about three minutes, plate.
qwerty

Carrollton, OH

#79913 Dec 30, 2012
Cold aint it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 8 min honeymylove 7,937
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 10 min SATAN 78 5,257
7th street and Hill (Dec '07) 56 min E E V 124
Joey Zenos 1 hr curious 3
ann luckett dentist 9 hr just me 22
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 12 hr Bill 26,279
Review: Healing Gardens 12 hr bodvo 1
•••
•••
Louisville Dating