Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,677

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Imposter

London, KY

#78044 Dec 13, 2012
W KY Girl wrote:
Ancient Wolf, do you do much cooking on your wood stove?
Don't you know how us old tightwads do? We set an opened can of pork and beans by the wood-stove in the morning to heat up for dinner, then another can of wolf chili, or ...whatever, to heat up in time for supper. Saves electricity or propane.
I personally use a propane stove to cook fancy suppers on, it still works if the electric goes out. And I have always liked to see fire under what I'm cooking.
Imposter

London, KY

#78045 Dec 13, 2012
A big old danged helichopper just flew over my house. It had sprayers on each side of it. I thought the KU only sprayed the weeds under hard to access power lines in the springtime.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78047 Dec 13, 2012
Good afternoon bird lovers. I hope you have enjoying the sunny day we are blessed with again. Lots of birds in my area this morning chirping, fighting for the birdseed. haha

I will be back, I have to go read up and see what I missed.

Enjoy your day!

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#78049 Dec 13, 2012
Imposter wrote:
Will you help this lady out please?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Sorry, Imposter, but I don't cook well. I was one of those "career ladies" who never developed "house mouse" skills. I've never heard of that kind of cake, either. Must be one of those Southern recipes. Sounds like it might be good. I'll bet that Abeliever has a recipe.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78050 Dec 13, 2012
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheerful greetings Believer. I'm definately going to hold you to singing the Soft Kitty song. Lol. That will go down as a classic. I will always say, that was better than anything Humpaburn could ever cook on that Weber Bullet grill of his and he can come up with some top notch recipes. Have a blessed day, dear one.
Teddy Fartman
Back at you on the cheerful greetings Una. I will come back tonight and sing Soft Kitty to you. lol

I hope you have a blessed day as well.:)

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#78051 Dec 13, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
Good afternoon bird lovers. I hope you have enjoying the sunny day we are blessed with again. Lots of birds in my area this morning chirping, fighting for the birdseed. haha
I will be back, I have to go read up and see what I missed.
Enjoy your day!
My birds are very well mannered at the feeders, they take turns. I think they have been reading Martha Stewart Living. It is a beautiful day.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#78052 Dec 13, 2012
Old Fashion stack cakes are no easy chore so roll up your sleeves and maybe get a helper. Absolutly be sure to refrig at least 24 hours before serving.
1/2 cup all-vegetable shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup molasses
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg (sorry but it says pinch),,
Confectioners' sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 6 (9-inch) cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper, and spray parchment paper with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, beat shortening and sugar at medium speed with a mixer until creamy. Add buttermilk, molasses, egg and vanilla, beating well.
In a large bowl, combine flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add shortening mixture, stirring just until combined.
On a lightly floured surface, form dough into a log; cut into six equal portions. Place one portion in each prepared pan, and use fingers to lightly pat dough to edges of pans.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Cake will have the consistency of a gingerbread cookie.
Place one cake layer on a serving plate or cake stand; spread with about 3/4 cup warm apple butter filling. You can use jar filling but below is a good filling.
Repeat procedure with remaining layers and fruit butter filling, stacking each on previous layer. Do not spread fruit butter filling on top layer. Cover and refrigerate cake for at least 24 hours. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Apple butter filling:
4 cups roughly chopped dried apples
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnomon
6 cups apple cider (not juice)
In large saucepan, combine dried fruit and all dry ingredients. Add enough liquid to cover. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring often, for 45 minutes.
Remove from heat, and let stand for 10 minutes or until cooled slightly. Transfer to the work bowl of a food processor or container of a blender; process until smooth. Coat cake layers while filling is still warm.
Then mail me a piece.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78053 Dec 13, 2012
Imposter wrote:
I would like to see her sing that kitty cat song, topless. Hey, I can't help it. I bet that woman would be as wild as a she-minx when you get right down to it....
Ok I see that Humpaburn is up and at 'em so the sun must have come up once again. Better get to work bringing more wood in the shack.
It was colder than a witches tit in a bras bra last night.
Just close your eyes and imagine it when I sing it tonight. I will take my shirt off while doing so. lol

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

FARTSBURG

#78054 Dec 13, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Back at you on the cheerful greetings Una. I will come back tonight and sing Soft Kitty to you. lol
I hope you have a blessed day as well.:)
Bless you. I am looking forward to this evening and the Soft Kitty Song. Lol.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78055 Dec 13, 2012
Great recipe Hempburn, here is another one:

Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 18 minutes
Ingredients:
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
Preparation:
Sift together flour, soda, baking powder, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Cream shortening and sugar; add molasses and mix well. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Add buttermilk alternately with flour, mixing well. Place dough on floured surface. Work in enough flour to make it easy to handle, but not stiff. Divide dough into 9 portions; shape into balls. Place 1 ball in greased 9-inch round pan. Press dough with hand evenly over bottom of pan.
Bake at 350 degrees 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly before removing from the pan.
Continue the same process for each ball of dough. Same pans may be used again but grease each time. Stack layers with apple filling (below). Store cake in airtight container or wrap at least over night to for best flavor and moisture. Cake freezes well.
Filling
1 pound dried apples
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Wash and cook apples in water until tender. Drain then mash well; mix with sugars and cinnamon.

Yummy.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78056 Dec 13, 2012
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Bless you. I am looking forward to this evening and the Soft Kitty Song. Lol.
I will wear my Soft Kitty sleep shirt while singing it.:)

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

FARTSBURG

#78057 Dec 13, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
Old Fashion stack cakes are no easy chore so roll up your sleeves and maybe get a helper. Absolutly be sure to refrig at least 24 hours before serving.
1/2 cup all-vegetable shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup molasses
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of nutmeg (sorry but it says pinch),,
Confectioners' sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 6 (9-inch) cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper, and spray parchment paper with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, beat shortening and sugar at medium speed with a mixer until creamy. Add buttermilk, molasses, egg and vanilla, beating well.
In a large bowl, combine flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add shortening mixture, stirring just until combined.
On a lightly floured surface, form dough into a log; cut into six equal portions. Place one portion in each prepared pan, and use fingers to lightly pat dough to edges of pans.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Cake will have the consistency of a gingerbread cookie.
Place one cake layer on a serving plate or cake stand; spread with about 3/4 cup warm apple butter filling. You can use jar filling but below is a good filling.
Repeat procedure with remaining layers and fruit butter filling, stacking each on previous layer. Do not spread fruit butter filling on top layer. Cover and refrigerate cake for at least 24 hours. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Apple butter filling:
4 cups roughly chopped dried apples
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnomon
6 cups apple cider (not juice)
In large saucepan, combine dried fruit and all dry ingredients. Add enough liquid to cover. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring often, for 45 minutes.
Remove from heat, and let stand for 10 minutes or until cooled slightly. Transfer to the work bowl of a food processor or container of a blender; process until smooth. Coat cake layers while filling is still warm.
Then mail me a piece.
He might take some cake later. Hehehe.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78058 Dec 13, 2012
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Imposter, but I don't cook well. I was one of those "career ladies" who never developed "house mouse" skills. I've never heard of that kind of cake, either. Must be one of those Southern recipes. Sounds like it might be good. I'll bet that Abeliever has a recipe.
Hi lala, actually I have two recipes. One from Mom and one from my ex-mother-in-law. It is basically one of those "southern" recipes like bread pudding. I love to cook and bake. Always have. So grateful Mom taught all of us girls to cook. I taught my son. Nothing sexier than a man that can cook. I use to have one that did. He was killed 3 months before we were to be married. I still miss him terribly.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

FARTSBURG

#78059 Dec 13, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
I will wear my Soft Kitty sleep shirt while singing it.:)
Cool, Lol.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78060 Dec 13, 2012
Second recipe I have, both are good, one is easier to make.

Ingredients
2 2/3 cups plain White Lilly flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon Ginger
1 teaspoon Salt
1/3 cup molasses
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 Eggs

Filling
1 pound dried apples, cooked
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar

Directions
Sift together dry ingredients. blend molasses, brown sugar and butter together. Stir dry ingredients into molasses mixture. Chill 30 minutes. Divide dough into 6 equal parts and spread into greased and floured pans. Bake 2 at a time at 325° for 15 minutes. Mash together filling ingredients. On a cake plate, stack 1 cake and alternate filling and cake. Mix 1 qt. of apple butter with 1 pt. of apple sauce and pour over cake.

Hope you can make one for your Dad. I wish I could make one for my Dad. It has been years since I have even made one.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#78061 Dec 13, 2012
Here's some news for you folks to figure out. Yesterday, there were news reports (breaking news crawl at the bottom of the t.v.screen)about a shuttle-type plane about 1/4 the size of the original space shuttles blasting off from Florida. The mission involving this shuttle was deemed classified, but reporters conjectured that this mini-shuttle was sent up to deploy some kind of satellite. In other news today, North Korea blasted off a multi-stage rocket carrying a satellite into orbit. This is the first time that a rocket had a range long enough to reach California. Scientists from Iran were present during the take off. N. Korea reported success,but U.S. stated that the satellite was not fully under control and was tumbling in orbit. No worries for no about it plummeting to earth.
I wonder what's up with these two events. North Korea will soon have the capability to use a warhead with their new rocket. They are in collaboration with Iran, which adds a new destabilization factor to consider, amid the chaos now occurring in the Middle East. And what's up with that U.S. shuttle that really isn't talked about since yesterday. Syria's government is about to topple, with extreme violence erupting there.

This has implications for us. The extreme violence going on now will have ramifications for us, in that there will be increases in price for gas. We risk being drawn in to another conflict. Increased prices for food will be passed on to the consumer; from more costs for commercial farmers to grow the food, to increased costs to transport the food to grocery stores. The world is in quite a mess.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78062 Dec 13, 2012
@ Hempburn, tonight is a good night to star gaze..

The Geminids meteor shower, which will be at its peak Thursday and Friday ... Tonight likely will offer the best viewing.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78063 Dec 13, 2012
News headlines I read last night while you all were sleeping..lol

NASA releases ‘Told Ya So’ apocalypse video early
Dec. 21, 2012, has long been rumored to be the day of the Mayan apocalypse, when Earth comes to its inglorious end. The good folks at NASA want you to know that isn't going to happen.

It is on the NASA website as well as all the news media sites with the video. Has updates on Solar Flares(no threat) and the rogue planet heading for Earth apocalypse (None). Check it out.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78064 Dec 13, 2012
A feel good story in the spirit of Christmas:

A gold coin worth $500 wrapped in a $100 bill has been found in a Salvation Army red kettle set up at an upstate New York shopping plaza.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#78065 Dec 13, 2012
Pot stories...hahaha

Amsterdam bans pot in school
The drug will remain available for adults and tourists

Cannon used to launch marijuana into US

Authorities say 85 pounds of marijuana were found in 33 cans.

Think of what kind of revenue the State of Kentucky could make growing hemp. My Dad said he and his brothers use to cultivate it when it was being grown here during WWII for rope etc...it could replace the tobacco we were known for. Lots of uses for hemp besides a HIGH. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
murderer Josh Young 9 hr Disgusted 2
Is the LMPD, Good or Bad ? (Jan '13) 16 hr chucky 68
Review: Speedi Hot Lunch Service LLC 17 hr Perry Winkle 1
dawn gee (Jan '13) 17 hr abelld 12
Mcconnell or grimes 17 hr Tony 33
is Ali a muslim? (Jan '14) 19 hr Roofus 14
Right-to-work: The right message for Kentucky's... 19 hr Ace McMollan 6
Louisville Dating
Find my Match

Louisville Jobs