Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,736

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
W KY Girl

Montgomery, IL

#77040 Dec 7, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't celebrate Christmas all. I wife had a stroke on Christmas Eve and died after spending 2 years in a nursing facility.
Oh no AW.:(
Raven

Fort Gay, WV

#77041 Dec 7, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't celebrate Christmas all. I wife had a stroke on Christmas Eve and died after spending 2 years in a nursing facility.
I'm back. Just want to clarify something. I wasn't referring to people like you AW when I referred to geriatric centers earlier. I've watched people pass and their loved one sit in the community with their loved one dying and never come to visit or call. I saw an elderly lady with a tear running down her cheek die without her sole heir being there. We called him. He refused to come. I had another lady call out for me to be there beside her, but unfortunately by the time I washed my hands to get next door. Her daughter and husband said she was gone. I never know to this day why she wanted me there. All I know is that if you genuinely care about someone that you will try to be all that you can be for the person. I've seen many a Lady who had their husband in the facility. They reminded me of school girls. Married 50-60 years. One patient's wife said he would roll into the floor and she just couldn't provide the care he needed. I said, you know that's why I'm here. Often cried when I saw her about town. It hurt me also. Because I knew where she wanted him to be: Home with her.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#77044 Dec 7, 2012
Raven wrote:
<quoted text> I'm back. Just want to clarify something. I wasn't referring to people like you AW when I referred to geriatric centers earlier. I've watched people pass and their loved one sit in the community with their loved one dying and never come to visit or call. I saw an elderly lady with a tear running down her cheek die without her sole heir being there. We called him. He refused to come. I had another lady call out for me to be there beside her, but unfortunately by the time I washed my hands to get next door. Her daughter and husband said she was gone. I never know to this day why she wanted me there. All I know is that if you genuinely care about someone that you will try to be all that you can be for the person. I've seen many a Lady who had their husband in the facility. They reminded me of school girls. Married 50-60 years. One patient's wife said he would roll into the floor and she just couldn't provide the care he needed. I said, you know that's why I'm here. Often cried when I saw her about town. It hurt me also. Because I knew where she wanted him to be: Home with her.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I went to the nursing facility every day for 2 years, sometimes more than once a day on weekends and when I was not still working. I have seen those poor lonely souls pass with just the staff helping. I always admired those folks that could do that work.

I have seen family come sit in the community room watching big screen television and never go to the patient's rooms. Sometimes when patients were there in wheelchairs watching something they enjoyed, the visitors would even change the channels. No compassion at all.
Raven

Fort Gay, WV

#77045 Dec 7, 2012
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing big. I'm not much into Christmas. We have a Christmas program at church with supper following. My two neices will have a Christmas get togather and meal at my sisters house, my sister invited me at the Thanksgiving meal, she's not able to do much anymore. My Daughter, her 11 year fiance(shacked up)and my step grandson will come to my shack probably on Christmas Eve. I don't decorate or shop. I just give my three money. LOL. I don't do gifts at my sisters. Whoo Wee they turned out kids by the litter. I'm not ancient yet and already a great great uncle with them. See I tell the truth on my bunch too. I don't discriminate.
Well, enjoy the company and dinner. That money should be fine. My brother's giving his teenager money. I don't decorate, but we do try to have a Yule dinner. Honey is required to choose holidays and with two children, we try to make it nice for them. It's really the only time of the year to get together. Work and just living take a all the other time. Hopefully, AW, you, dog and that son of your can get some quality time. That job is rough. And with all that wood cutting and dog keeping you up at night taking his potty breaks, sounds like you could do with a goo meal to go along with what's left of a good heart;)
Raven

Fort Gay, WV

#77048 Dec 7, 2012
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>You're over-thinking things. Scruff is as cool as a polar bear's ass.
My brother told me the same thing. I do agree with you. You got a point. I'm not in that business any more. Very stressful.Yes, AW seems to be the kind of man my dad is: Don't give no crap, don't take no crap.Work hard and be happy with the simple life. That's what I like about my dad.He won't say a word even when he's been wronged. Had a family member want money back in the '80s for a gallon of milk supposedly. Dad says, Wait just a minute we can help you out there. Got an extra gallon in the refrigerator. My uncle lost his liver and developed a blood disorder within several years, but dad knew. In his own way, Dad was trying to help not waste.
Raven

Fort Gay, WV

#77049 Dec 7, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I know exactly what you are talking about. I went to the nursing facility every day for 2 years, sometimes more than once a day on weekends and when I was not still working. I have seen those poor lonely souls pass with just the staff helping. I always admired those folks that could do that work.
I have seen family come sit in the community room watching big screen television and never go to the patient's rooms. Sometimes when patients were there in wheelchairs watching something they enjoyed, the visitors would even change the channels. No compassion at all.
It has disturbed me also. Nursing personnel setting channels not asking or family members sitting in lounge areas instead of the room. Well, fortunately she wasn't lonely.. And it would have been no different if you were going to work every day. That's a lot of time whether she was at home or not. I knew a lady who did exactly the same, and she always had the biggest smile lying beside him on the bed. I told her do exactly that. That job can be very emotional as well as physical. But they're lazy employees as well.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#77051 Dec 7, 2012
I even bought an old handcap short bus with a lift and took the seats out and would go drive her around town letting her sit up front listening to the music and looking at something besides the 4 walls. On Wednesday nights we stopped at Baskin Robbins for milk shakes. She could not hold an ice cream cone but could squeeze a milk shake between her arm and body.

On Sundays, I would bring her home and cook her meal and let her watch television and then she would ask me to take her back so she could go take care of "her" people for the evening meal. She had 4 people that would sit with her at the community dining table that could not speak but he could tell the dining room staff what they wanted or needed. She felt usefull.
W KY Girl

Montgomery, IL

#77052 Dec 7, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I even bought an old handcap short bus with a lift and took the seats out and would go drive her around town letting her sit up front listening to the music and looking at something besides the 4 walls. On Wednesday nights we stopped at Baskin Robbins for milk shakes. She could not hold an ice cream cone but could squeeze a milk shake between her arm and body.
On Sundays, I would bring her home and cook her meal and let her watch television and then she would ask me to take her back so she could go take care of "her" people for the evening meal. She had 4 people that would sit with her at the community dining table that could not speak but he could tell the dining room staff what they wanted or needed. She felt usefull.
Ok AW, you have made me cry now. I tell you what, if everybody took care of their family like you did this world would be such a better place. This stuff hits so close to home with me because my mom has had two strokes this year and now I take care of her here at home. She doesn't want to go to a nursing home and I pray to God it never comes to that but I know it could. I'm doing my best to keep that from happening. All I can say is sincerely GOD BLESS YOU!
Raven

Fort Gay, WV

#77053 Dec 7, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
She sure was. And you didn't take her for granted. I' mcrying gotta go...just what I think love should be.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#77054 Dec 7, 2012
W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok AW, you have made me cry now. I tell you what, if everybody took care of their family like you did this world would be such a better place. This stuff hits so close to home with me because my mom has had two strokes this year and now I take care of her here at home. She doesn't want to go to a nursing home and I pray to God it never comes to that but I know it could. I'm doing my best to keep that from happening. All I can say is sincerely GOD BLESS YOU!
With 2 sons and all of us working, we just had no caregivers. So I stepped down from my position and went part time and tried to hire help to fill in the gaps when I was working and not there to take care of her needs, including hygeine. That did not work out and I had no choice but to send her to the nursing facility and go back to full time work just seeing her in the mornings before work, evenings and weekends.

Just don't let the caring for your Mom ruin your own health. You will be no good to her if you get yourself down. Take Care, I need to go get busy around here and not be dwelling on memories. Thanks for letting me share with you and Raven. I will say that I am and was blessed to have had the time we did have together.
Raven

Fort Gay, WV

#77057 Dec 7, 2012
W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to reaffirm the post AW made. Take care of yourself ;) And, blessings to you. You are a wonderful and a loving human being to be her provider. And Happy Yuletime as well. I am glad to hear these true stories and they've made a positive impact on me. I've a lot to do. So, I'm definitely being the bee for a while.
so true

Morgantown, KY

#77061 Dec 7, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
With 2 sons and all of us working, we just had no caregivers. So I stepped down from my position and went part time and tried to hire help to fill in the gaps when I was working and not there to take care of her needs, including hygeine. That did not work out and I had no choice but to send her to the nursing facility and go back to full time work just seeing her in the mornings before work, evenings and weekends.
Just don't let the caring for your Mom ruin your own health. You will be no good to her if you get yourself down. Take Care, I need to go get busy around here and not be dwelling on memories. Thanks for letting me share with you and Raven. I will say that I am and was blessed to have had the time we did have together.
AW, you are trully one of a kind.. yOu have such a good heart.... My day has been one of the worst in years, and been really low you could say.. But this has brought a tear of joy to my heart , instead of all these I have been shedding today, of pain. Some woman somewhere would be so lucky to call you the love of her life. You have given me back a little hope for today...
W KY Girl

Montgomery, IL

#77062 Dec 7, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I can completely understand what you went through. I am blessed that I can stay here and care of my mom and I still have an income, so that's covered. My problem is that I have very little help. I have a sibling and their family, three adults but they "don't have time" to help me the majority of the time. I am the one responsible 24/7. I think since the middle of October somebody has been here one 24 hour period to let me have a break. They have NO IDEA how sometimes you just need a mental break!!! I would also like to have a little bit more of a life myself but it is pretty much on hold. But that's okay because even though me and mom didn't always agree on everything (and still don't!), I couldn't ask for a better mother. I do have a wonderful boyfriend that helps me more than my own family, no comparison! He will do anything I need him to do and 90% of the time he offers to help before I think to ask him. Mom is still getting around fairly well on her walker so she's not completely helpless. I don't like leaving her home alone but sometimes I have to. I get her settled in so hopefully she won't have to get up, but still I worry the whole time I am gone. I finally decided that either she has to be by herself a little bit or she has to go to a nursing home. There are just things that I have got to go do sometimes like pay bills and grocery shop and now and then I do take 2-3 hours for me. It gets hard sometimes but I don't want her in a nursing home no more than she wants to be there. But if something happens to me, no doubt that is where she will be. Thanks you guys (AW and Raven). It's nice to talk to somebody that understands.
Raven

Fort Gay, WV

#77069 Dec 7, 2012
W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I can completely understand what you went through. I am blessed that I can stay here and care of my mom and I still have an income, so that's covered. My problem is that I have very little help. I have a sibling and their family, three adults but they "don't have time" to help me the majority of the time. I am the one responsible 24/7. I think since the middle of October somebody has been here one 24 hour period to let me have a break. They have NO IDEA how sometimes you just need a mental break!!! I would also like to have a little bit more of a life myself but it is pretty much on hold. But that's okay because even though me and mom didn't always agree on everything (and still don't!), I couldn't ask for a better mother. I do have a wonderful boyfriend that helps me more than my own family, no comparison! He will do anything I need him to do and 90% of the time he offers to help before I think to ask him. Mom is still getting around fairly well on her walker so she's not completely helpless. I don't like leaving her home alone but sometimes I have to. I get her settled in so hopefully she won't have to get up, but still I worry the whole time I am gone. I finally decided that either she has to be by herself a little bit or she has to go to a nursing home. There are just things that I have got to go do sometimes like pay bills and grocery shop and now and then I do take 2-3 hours for me. It gets hard sometimes but I don't want her in a nursing home no more than she wants to be there. But if something happens to me, no doubt that is where she will be. Thanks you guys (AW and Raven). It's nice to talk to somebody that understands.
If I was your neighbor, I'd sure help you stop in sit with her. I have sitter problems myself ;)
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#77073 Dec 7, 2012
Good evening my topix friend and the stooges. Hope you had a pleasant rainy day.

Yes, Imposter, I was out enjoying LIFE, evening was awesome, got home late and too tired to open topix and ruin it with all the obvious bashing that was going on, mostly at my expense I suspect by the gaps and who was posting. I also had to work at 6am, so sleep was a necessity. I know you hate to hear that. Enjoying life, working on a second career and being a productive member of society. All that you and your stooges lack and resent. Looks like the major sweep came through with a vengence and wiped you all away. You really don't think you are fooling anyone with your foreign location spin, do you. Looks like you and your daddy tried to make nice today and please the mods. Except for your nasty foreign garbage that will go as soon as there is a shift change. lol

You three stooges need to come to grips with I DON'T CARE what you spin as your truth. The decent posters and regulars still here, dropping in or just reading know better. Keep entertaining yourselves by all means, we know you have no life outside topix poor cry babies.

Have fun with while you can. Continue to show your true colors. BLACK with shades of HATE.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#77074 Dec 7, 2012
@ raven and WKGirl, I sympathize with you. Been there and done that with most of what you posted. Note to WKGirl, do whatever you can to keep your Mom with you. I lost my Mom this year as well as several family/friends, and one of her biggest fears was she would die in a Nursing Home. We told her that would never happen, we would hire a full time nurse if we couldn't take care of her at home. Luckily, we have a large family and that wasn't a problem. I hate that you don't have any help because it is very draining emotionally, more that physically. I had a friend that was in the same scenerio as you, absolutely no help from siblings, I would go sit with her Mom so she could have some time at least twice a week when I got off work. I loved that woman, she had so much to share of her life and an era we do not appreciate enough. I love listening to her stories. Sadly, there are many like her and you out there. They have a lot to share with anyone who will listen. So precious. My friend was rejuvenated when she returned and I was so grateful I could make that happen for her. Of course when she passed, they all came out of the woodwork to claim what they thought was theirs and they thought they were entitled to. Early in her illness before she was heavily medicated etc..she changed her will leaving the house and contents to the daughter that stayed, but equally shared insurance, savings etc. They had the nerve to threaten my friend to take her to court. That would of been a mistake, they would of lost. Sad how people act. I know that there has been a lot of loss and pain in my lifetime, but nothing compared to losing my Mom. She drew her last breath with her 6 kids and grandchildren at her bedside in her home. One of her wishes in life. A couple years ago she had to do rehab and they wanted to keep her close to home, there was a Nursing Home/Rehab facility she was at for a month doing in house rehab. It was a shore trying to convince her she was there for REHAB, not to live or be left behind. We would never let that happen. I admire anyone who can work in a Nursing Home. It is so sad and I would never last once the first one died that I was fond of and the realization that people park their parents in these places and never visit. I cried everytime I left that place after visiting Mom. It was an excellent run facility and we became quite fond of the caregivers there. I don't discuss much private life issues for the obvious harassing reasons, but I wanted to share that with you. Cherish those moments with your Mom. I hope you have a friend to help out. Good you have a man who loves you enough to make up for ones who choose not to help out. You are very lucky. I see that the two of you have realized what a special, unique man Ancient Wolf is like we (a bunch of early on posters) did posting two years ago. I am honored to call him friend getting to know him through emails, pictures and life sharing stories along with a few others who admire him. He is one of the best. Too bad there aren't more like him. If there were I wouldn't still be single these last five years. lol

Hang in there ladies.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#77075 Dec 7, 2012
Today's news that caught my eye was:

the 7.3 Japan earthquake (On Pearl Harbor 71st anniversary no less) and as well as the usual California, Hawaii, Alaska, there was Oregon, and in the Madrid Fault Zone...

Arkansas

Then this:

National Geographic and CDC offer preparedness tips on Doomsday Preppers (we are way ahead of them)

19 states, Tennessee being one of them.
Meningitis outbreak

I have dinner dishes to do and then I am a couch potato for the rest of the night enjoying peace and quiet and good TV night. Got plans for tomorrow and tomorrow night. Need my rest.

Have a great chilly, rainy evening. Stooges not so much.

"CLICK"
W KY Girl

Canton, IL

#77091 Dec 7, 2012
Raven wrote:
<quoted text> If I was your neighbor, I'd sure help you stop in sit with her. I have sitter problems myself ;)
Thank you very much Raven. That is very nice of you.:)
W KY Girl

Canton, IL

#77094 Dec 7, 2012
Doc Martin is coming on, yes! I am so easily entertained, sad. lol

Level 2

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#77103 Dec 7, 2012
Danm if it isn't the everpresent ill Bill. Looks like your class of runnin mates has dropped.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I hate fat women (Dec '09) 15 min Cracker Country Boy 218
The REAL MLK - Traitor, Wife-beater and Fraud (Jan '12) 1 hr Sammy7 87
Loserville Cardinals are about to be DESTROYED 1 hr Cats Fan 18
my cat has eaten a patinos birds 1 hr cardfan 9
who won the U of L and UK game? 3 hr cat 2
Kaley Cuoco's DECENT haircut 3 hr REally ToO 10
Review - Dr Corbett plastic surgeon 5 hr Brad 4
Carla Rushing Aka The pornstar Cody lane Living... (Nov '11) Dec 22 The real cody lane 260
Louisville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Louisville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Louisville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:45 am PST

NBC Sports 9:45AM