Wedding crusher

Full story: The Reporter

Veronica Stake and Mike Kenyon question Martera Banquets owner, Kathy Martinez, about their wedding plans.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of172
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
1006 ambassador

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

How do you know she is a homewrecker and money hungry? Thank Goodness you are right there with me. Homewrecker! Thought I was only few to know.
I thought Kathy and Mike would really get their act together by now. Kathy knew she was going to close down soon, maybe not an exact date but she shouldn't have taken these peoples money. I wish I can help all you brides and grooms with your situation but unfortunatlly I am in the same boat you guys(cause kathy)I know her bankruptcy lawyer Timothy Walsh I hope that will help.
Christina Patton

Fairfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

I am very heartbroken over this matter, not for the owners, but for us. Our wedding is July 19th. We gave $1000 to this place to save our date. I know people gave more and I feel for them, But this $1000 was money that we need. Were not rich, we dont make a lot of money. Im very upset of the fact that we were not contacted about this. This seems to me that this has been going on for awhile, it seems they have known that there was money issues & the fact that no one called us makes me very sick. Me & my fiance had to take time off work to find another location as soon as possible. Then we had to take more time and notify our guest of the change, plus borrow more money to pay for the new location that was avail.
We spoke to both business partners and no one is willing to take blame. They are both pointing the finger at one another and both advising us to get a lawyer because they dont have our money. You can best believe this, we are taking them to small claims and we will get our money back and plus what ever extra we had to spend to make this day happen. This is not last that the Martinez family or the other business partner will be hearing from us!
lkl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

JAIL,Jail,Jail...San Quentin for him; Chowchilla for her. If there are any kids they need to go to resposible parents, Shame Shame on these thieves !!!
lkl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Veronica

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

I think all the clients from martera banquets should get together to create a class action law suit. Our wedding is in August and we are stressing out. I am so sorry for those who are just weeks away. Here is my cell four-five-0-six-0-nine-four please call
Christina Patton wrote:
I am very heartbroken over this matter, not for the owners, but for us. Our wedding is July 19th. We gave $1000 to this place to save our date. I know people gave more and I feel for them, But this $1000 was money that we need. Were not rich, we dont make a lot of money. Im very upset of the fact that we were not contacted about this. This seems to me that this has been going on for awhile, it seems they have known that there was money issues & the fact that no one called us makes me very sick. Me & my fiance had to take time off work to find another location as soon as possible. Then we had to take more time and notify our guest of the change, plus borrow more money to pay for the new location that was avail.
We spoke to both business partners and no one is willing to take blame. They are both pointing the finger at one another and both advising us to get a lawyer because they dont have our money. You can best believe this, we are taking them to small claims and we will get our money back and plus what ever extra we had to spend to make this day happen. This is not last that the Martinez family or the other business partner will be hearing from us!
Christina Patton

Fairfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Mike Kenyon wrote:
We were the ones in the picture, trying to get answers from Kathy and all she could tell us is that they were closed. They have not contacted anyone at all!! We have talked to numerous people involved and she was cashing checks from clients after the place was cleaned out and the doors were shut. In the article it states that she has called people back for events in June and July. WHO???? There has not been one person contacted. We have tried to reach her on the phone and via email and she is ignoring us now for about a month. WHERE IS OUR MONEY???????? Thats the question I think anyone would like to know. If she is not involved in this, then why is she hiding?? You don't hide and try and hit me with your car if you have nothing do with this. Yes she did try to hit me with her vehicle yesterday. They didn't state that or a lot of other facts in the article that they should have. Does everyone know that she has a bankruptcy lawyer and was trying to file in January. She is filing chapter 7 with all us the clients as employees. How does that work. Please anyone involved step forward and lets fight this together. I have spoken to law officials and a lawyer, she can not do this!!!
hello- my wedding is july 19th. She only got away with our deposit, but that is money that we need. we spent about 2 days calling her and after leaving many different nasty messages she finally called us back. the other owner actually called us back too. No one is wanting to take blame. Both are pointing the finger at one another. its making me sick. we plan on going to small claims. getting a lawyer is probably gonna cost me more then the actual wedding. From what i hear you can sue up to $7000 in small claims. I could be wrong but that would be enough to cover the damage that they have put on this wedding. One way or another we will get our money back
Cathy

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

My daughter's wedding was also supposed to happen at Martera's, what a disappointment and sickening feeling to find that you need another place in less than 6 weeks!! It was fortunate that she had only put down $1,000.00 but when she called and finally got a call back, they said to get an attorney. Well, they did.

My daughter called Paradise Valley in Fairfield and thank goodness July 19th was the only day they had available until next year!!! They not only booked her wedding but felt so bad for her that they gave an extra hour on the reception AND knocked another $250.00 off. I have to say that this is twice now that I've had dealings with Paradise and they've been so awesome!

Good luck to the rest of you, I know you have got to be in tears, SHAME ON YOU KATHY and MIKE MARTINEZ for not even having the courtesy to call those who placed the most important day of their lives in your incompetent hands.
Bill and Debbie Kenyon

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

As parents of the future Bride and Groom, I am asking for any lawyers, catering business, photographers.....etc. that can step up to help these couples during this time. All of these couples in good faith gave money to Martera Banquet to take care of them for their special day. Money that these poor couples will probably never see again, but money they do not have to start the whole process over again. Please if any one can help them out.....We are seeking help for them.
Mike Kenyon

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

After all the things that have happened within the week, I have contacted 7 on your side and emailed Michael Finney. We are also trying to go the news with this and get this out into the public eye. We are hoping that the more people that see what these idiotic people have done, that the right people will start to investigate them. At the very least I want these people to go to jail for FRAUD, Our money back or not. I think they underestimated what caliber of people they screwed over.
Cathy

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Veronica wrote:
I think all the clients from martera banquets should get together to create a class action law suit. Our wedding is in August and we are stressing out. I am so sorry for those who are just weeks away. Here is my cell four-five-0-six-0-nine-four please call
<quoted text>
I am so sorry Veronica, I hope you are able to find someplace else! I agree with you, a class action law suit if at all possible! Does anyone know, is it a criminal felony if they lose a large $$ suit? How fitting is that!
Bobby 95687

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Mike Kenyon wrote:
We were the ones in the picture, trying to get answers from Kathy and all she could tell us is that they were closed. They have not contacted anyone at all!! We have talked to numerous people involved and she was cashing checks from clients after the place was cleaned out and the doors were shut. In the article it states that she has called people back for events in June and July. WHO???? There has not been one person contacted. We have tried to reach her on the phone and via email and she is ignoring us now for about a month. WHERE IS OUR MONEY???????? Thats the question I think anyone would like to know. If she is not involved in this, then why is she hiding?? You don't hide and try and hit me with your car if you have nothing do with this. Yes she did try to hit me with her vehicle yesterday. They didn't state that or a lot of other facts in the article that they should have. Does everyone know that she has a bankruptcy lawyer and was trying to file in January. She is filing chapter 7 with all us the clients as employees. How does that work. Please anyone involved step forward and lets fight this together. I have spoken to law officials and a lawyer, she can not do this!!!
..........put a line on the home and cars adn when they find out u did that i bet u get your money and do it to the cars lic,s to u get the money before dmv would do it :)
Bobby 95687

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

lkl wrote:
..........Ya but if u win in small claim court they dont have to pay u need to take them to grand court so u can get they irs check and all money they have and make from selling stuff small claim is ok but go big time is better
Cathy

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Mike Kenyon wrote:
After all the things that have happened within the week, I have contacted 7 on your side and emailed Michael Finney. We are also trying to go the news with this and get this out into the public eye. We are hoping that the more people that see what these idiotic people have done, that the right people will start to investigate them. At the very least I want these people to go to jail for FRAUD, Our money back or not. I think they underestimated what caliber of people they screwed over.
Fantastic, Mike!! If they do contact you, please let us all know, there is power in numbers and the shock would be apparent when there are potentially 48 couples out there who planned summer weddings with Martera.
Cathy

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

2thdoc wrote:
Maybe the contents of the business were leased or financed, in other words, everything had to be given back to the suppliers/vendors because Kathy and Mike did not own the equipment/content outright... therefore Mike and Kathy could not sell the content themselves for money to give back deposits.
Very unfortunate for people to lose their deposits, but this economy really sucks. This is not first small business to close up shop recently (Otter Nature Store, Chandler Home Furnishings, Comp USA, Vacaville Flooring, Travis Credit Union Park, etc.) Some of these businesses were able to close with out keeping people's deposits and other businesses kept them/didn't give them back.
From what I hear, all of the stuff is sitting in front of their home in a U-Haul. So, when they do sell it, are they really going to pay people back? Not likely!
Christina Patton

Fairfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

2thdoc wrote:
Maybe the contents of the business were leased or financed, in other words, everything had to be given back to the suppliers/vendors because Kathy and Mike did not own the equipment/content outright... therefore Mike and Kathy could not sell the content themselves for money to give back deposits.
Very unfortunate for people to lose their deposits, but this economy really sucks. This is not first small business to close up shop recently (Otter Nature Store, Chandler Home Furnishings, Comp USA, Vacaville Flooring, Travis Credit Union Park, etc.) Some of these businesses were able to close with out keeping people's deposits and other businesses kept them/didn't give them back.
When we talked to the other owner he told us that all the equipment that they had barrowed from the church was in a uhal truck in front of kathys house. The church said they did not get there stuff back
Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Someone needs to contact the DAs office and help initiate a fraud investigation against Martera - they were taking people's money under false pretenses. You don't just suddenly realize business is bad...there are warnings for these types of things. You'll never see your money from a small claims action -- those will be thrown into their bankruptcy proceedings. Initiate a criminal action and see justice.
tanker rick Army Vet

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

There should be crimal charges brought agenst these people. If they were having trouble with their partner they should not have been take money from these people. They had to have known that the buisness was not going to make it if they couldnt even pay the rent, that also brings up the question on where is all these peoples money? rent was not paid and no services were given were is the money???? People like Martinezes make it hard to tust any one.
Cathy

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

tanker rick Army Vet wrote:
There should be crimal charges brought agenst these people. If they were having trouble with their partner they should not have been take money from these people. They had to have known that the buisness was not going to make it if they couldnt even pay the rent, that also brings up the question on where is all these peoples money? rent was not paid and no services were given were is the money???? People like Martinezes make it hard to tust any one.
Well, there's only one way to find out if what they did is criminal. I've sent an email to the Solano County District Attorney. I'll post any responses!
Need Help

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

I am sending out a quick message (don't know if people read this far down on the posts) to see if Brides & Grooms are in need of assistance regarding their "special day".
While you have a fight on your hands regarding money/deposit, etc (that's a legal battle that will drag on) I'm just wondering if people are calling off/rescheduling their events and are looking for help to still have a beautiful wedding.
My family owns a catering business and if there is an interest I would try to work with the Owner/Son Rise to see what if anything we could do to help these new couples with their special day. Knowing the "business" of weddings - my heart ached this morning reading the article (simply no bride/groom needs this as a start to their life as a married couple) and I just felt like we could maybe help.
I'll leave things annoyomous for now - to see if there is a response/need but I've left a message for the "owners/Son Rise" people.
Mike Kenyon wrote:

Since: Feb 08

Vacaville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

I don't know how much can be done for the folks who they cashed their check before the bk filing. On the other hand, if they cashed checks after the bk filing those folks may have grounds to file with the da for fraud.

This is a terrible situation involved, but for the newlyweds this will only make your union stronger. Good luck!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of172
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wedding Discussions

Search the Wedding Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The Coming Christian Revolt 8 min passing by 29
Ukraine orders 1-week government cease-fire 11 min Live Free or Die 15
Comment: Let's allow Christians to have their v... 20 min Quadratus 934
CO Baker Found Guilty for Denying Gay Couple We... (Dec '13) 29 min Frankie Rizzo 15,939
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 32 min Doug Wiedeman 31,102
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 47 min frankensnorter 48,848
Losing Streak Lengthens for Foes of Gay Marriage 51 min Frankie Rizzo 2,453
•••
•••