Wedding crusher

Full story: The Reporter 172
Veronica Stake and Mike Kenyon question Martera Banquets owner, Kathy Martinez, about their wedding plans. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Sharon

San Jose, CA

#2 Jun 14, 2008
Why is it that Mike and Kathy are the ones to have been running the business,talking to clients and taking deposit's, so where is the money they acquired, In the article it states that everything thing has been removed, are The Martinzes selling everything to try and pay debts or return the clients money
The Majority

United States

#3 Jun 14, 2008
They need to sell some of their toy, cars and what ever to pay these people back. That is just plain out criminal to take it and not pay it back.
Cannot Tell

San Francisco, CA

#4 Jun 14, 2008
Again disaster strikes for you Mike. I wonder why?
KELLY

Pioche, NV

#6 Jun 14, 2008
CANNOT TELL. You've got me interested now. Care to elaborate?

Pixit

El Dorado Hills, CA

#7 Jun 14, 2008
How can Mike and Kathy Martinez say,"We would love to find a way to get everyone's deposit back, but we can't." What about selling everything that was "removed from the building". There had to be a lot of electronic equipment, tables, chairs, kitchen supplies and kitchen equipment, office furniture, a u-haul truck, etc., that had to be in excess of $50,000. But No, you file bankruptcy, so none of the brides will get thier money back. What are you going to do with all that money you will make for selling everything?? Kathy is quoted as saying, "we are not the type of people who just takes money and disappears". What would you call it, then?
Bobby 95687

San Francisco, CA

#8 Jun 14, 2008
Have the weeding on there front lawn i would :)
Cannot Tell

San Francisco, CA

#9 Jun 14, 2008
KELLY wrote:
CANNOT TELL. You've got me interested now. Care to elaborate?
I've known him a long time. But will not be able to post exactly what that was.
Jerry Arizona

Apache Junction, AZ

#10 Jun 14, 2008
There's always two sides to the story..This is your side of the story, not the partner. Truth be known ,ask your wife what happened to the money!!
Greg

Vacaville, CA

#11 Jun 14, 2008
There are two sides to every story, I know for a fact the Lepera's name was not on the business accounts as of 1/08, and it wasnt on the busines license. How can they blame him for everything. I have one question for the Martinez's, where did all the money go from January until you closed your doors if you weren't paying your rent?
Bobby 95687

San Francisco, CA

#12 Jun 14, 2008
COME ON CANNOT TELL GIVE THE DIRTY????? U CHICKEN????SOUND LIKE TO ME

Since: Feb 08

Vacaville

#13 Jun 14, 2008
Maybe the contents of the business were leased or financed, in other words, everything had to be given back to the suppliers/vendors because Kathy and Mike did not own the equipment/content outright... therefore Mike and Kathy could not sell the content themselves for money to give back deposits.

Very unfortunate for people to lose their deposits, but this economy really sucks. This is not first small business to close up shop recently (Otter Nature Store, Chandler Home Furnishings, Comp USA, Vacaville Flooring, Travis Credit Union Park, etc.) Some of these businesses were able to close with out keeping people's deposits and other businesses kept them/didn't give them back.
KELLY

Pioche, NV

#14 Jun 14, 2008
I know all but two tanning beds in Vacaville have closed in recent months. I know for a fact one of them closed the doors one day after selling gift certificates to people. They knew the day before they were going to shut down, yet they left a note on the door saying they closed. KARMA

"This is not first small business to close up shop recently (Otter Nature Store, Chandler Home Furnishings, Comp USA, Vacaville Flooring, Travis Credit Union Park, etc.) Some of these businesses were able to close with out keeping people's deposits and other businesses kept them/didn't give them back."

Since: Feb 08

Vacaville

#15 Jun 14, 2008
By playing devils advocate:

When did the Martinez's first realize that they would be closing their doors? Were they hoping that things would turn around? That is very common in human nature; however, there had to be a time frame ie. months, weeks , days when they knew that they would have to close the doors.

I wonder did they pay the reporter advertising bill? Maybe this is why their story is headline on the internet? Just a thought.
Jim and Toni Gant

San Jose, CA

#16 Jun 14, 2008
How devastating! My niece Veronica & soon to be nephew Mike have to start all over again. To have no warning that everything you have worked so hard on is not happening. Invitations have been sent out. They will now have to begin the process again with the planning, phone calls, catering, & MONEY, how stressful. I know Veronica & Mike will still have a beautiful wedding no matter what. With all our love and prayers for their day to be filled with joy, happiness, & much LOVE. Our hearts go out to all the other Couples that will have to go through the same thing.
Mike Kenyon

Vacaville, CA

#17 Jun 14, 2008
We were the ones in the picture, trying to get answers from Kathy and all she could tell us is that they were closed. They have not contacted anyone at all!! We have talked to numerous people involved and she was cashing checks from clients after the place was cleaned out and the doors were shut. In the article it states that she has called people back for events in June and July. WHO???? There has not been one person contacted. We have tried to reach her on the phone and via email and she is ignoring us now for about a month. WHERE IS OUR MONEY???????? Thats the question I think anyone would like to know. If she is not involved in this, then why is she hiding?? You don't hide and try and hit me with your car if you have nothing do with this. Yes she did try to hit me with her vehicle yesterday. They didn't state that or a lot of other facts in the article that they should have. Does everyone know that she has a bankruptcy lawyer and was trying to file in January. She is filing chapter 7 with all us the clients as employees. How does that work. Please anyone involved step forward and lets fight this together. I have spoken to law officials and a lawyer, she can not do this!!!
Bill and Debbie Kenyon

AOL

#18 Jun 14, 2008
This is just horrible! Our son Mike and soon to be daughter Veronica worked so hard to have a beautiful day be ruined by some low life people. The Martinez couple should be ashamed of themselves for making excuses for robbing not only our son and his bride to be, but for all the other Couples. For Mike and Veronica, your wedding will be just beautiful! Just remember "Goodness always outshines the wicked!!!!"
Mike Kenyon

Vacaville, CA

#19 Jun 14, 2008
By the way, it was not deposits that they took from people!! It was the full amounts for the weddings and receptions. Thats why Veronica and I are so angry about this. We have lost everything from some greedy person that wants to commit fraud. YES THIS IS FRAUD!!! Stop hiding Kathy!!! Kathy if you are so hurt and heartbroken by this, then try and least work together with us to come up with a solution. You can contact us. The Reporter has our numbers. Call us.
GUIDO

Concord, CA

#20 Jun 14, 2008
Mike and Kathy Martinez should be watching over their shoulders from now on! How can you guys cash peoples checks when you already file for bankruptcy in Jan.?? You knowingly were STEALING peoples MONEY!!! Money for the one special day all these people had planned for a long time, that's just being a GIB!!! I wish nothing but the worst for them two and whoever else had involvement beacause it all sounds fishy to me! i KNOW Mike and Veronica will overcome this and their wedding will be even more fantastic now that Kathy isn't involved in their wedding. EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON! I truly believe that.
Vacavillian

Discovery Bay, CA

#21 Jun 14, 2008
What a horrible situation for these people. None of the business thrive in that building for some reason. Guess no one eats out there with all the competition down the street.
KELLY

Pioche, NV

#22 Jun 14, 2008
These people are horrible. Planning a wedding is stressful enough. I can only imagine what all of these victims are going through right now. What a slap in the face that the Martinez's filed for BK months ago, yet kept taking clients money.I truly feel bad for the victims because the Martinez's are such cutthroat and ruthless individuals. Of course Karma will come their way, but that is of little help now.Perhaps someone/everyone of the victims should get in touch with the Bankruptcy Trustee in Sacramento regarding Martinez accepting funds from clients while filing BK-did they report that income to the court?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 5 min hal 27,057
Egypt cuts jail terms in gay wedding case 8 min Rick in Kansas 5
Happily ever after? Charges reduced to one year... 23 min Devin 2
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 54 min Rick in Kansas 74
Gay marriage comes to Missouri. Wait ... what? 59 min Rick in Kansas 103
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMerde 51,306
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 4 hr QUITTNER Dec 28 2014 230
More from around the web