Federal judge's ruling guts Proposition 8, the voter-approved ban o...

Wednesday's ruling shooting down a ban on same-sex marriages in California was welcomed, and somewhat expected, by many who were watching from the sidelines in Santa Cruz. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
yep

Scotts Valley, CA

#1 Aug 4, 2010
It's exciting to have a federal judge basically declare that our relationships are due the same legal respect," Brown said.

Actually, Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker declared that is does not matter what the voters vote for.

It is disturbing that the trial court, in order to strike down Prop 8, has literally accused the majority of California voters of having ill and discriminatory intent when casting their votes for Prop 8.

Way to go Judge, show our youth how important it is to get out there and vote!!!!!!!!!!
curious cat

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Aug 4, 2010
a judges job is to see if legislation -- which voter approved propositions are -- pass constitutional muster, or are otherwise illegal according to the prevailing laws of the land.

Prop. 8 is discriminatory in both its impact and intent. he is not accusing. he is merely stating the obvious.
anneshirley

Hayward, CA

#3 Aug 4, 2010
yep wrote:
It is disturbing that the trial court, in order to strike down Prop 8, has literally accused the majority of California voters of having ill and discriminatory intent when casting their votes for Prop 8.
We don't get to vote for ignorance. Many people in the south voted to keep segregation legal.
That did not make it right.
The people who voted for Prop 8 literally did vote for something that was was discriminatory.
Please explain to me how they didn't.
If the constitution guarantees everyone life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, how is this wrong?
Oh. And remember.
There's also the bit about separation of church and state.
Go.
Dan Welch

United States

#4 Aug 4, 2010
With out hate, homosexuality is wrong, it has always been wrong and it will always be wrong. Laws do not change right and wrong.
Sandra Sandoval

Arlington, MA

#5 Aug 4, 2010
Of course, we know the Mormon church provided massive funding and mendacious advertising to push through Prop 8 originally. The general public was fooled into passing what was a basic violation of civil rights.
Anne Korbabee

Fremont, CA

#6 Aug 4, 2010
Why can't I have two wives? I need this in order to pursue happiness and feel free. Who would be the victim of my crime?
Viva la moralidad du jour!
aptos

San Francisco, CA

#8 Aug 4, 2010
So much for the 7 MILLION people who voted for the ban. The losers didn't like the legal outcome, so they sued.

What's the point of voting anymore?
prior2

United States

#10 Aug 4, 2010
No wonder Al Qaeda hates us..look at what we've become. Just give em the nukes and get it over with, we deserve it.
anneshirley

Hayward, CA

#13 Aug 4, 2010
Dan Welch wrote:
With out hate, homosexuality is wrong, it has always been wrong and it will always be wrong. Laws do not change right and wrong.
Please explain. Using logic.
Give me a break

United States

#14 Aug 4, 2010
The "majority" you people keep referring to was a slim 4.7 percent margin. Hardly a landslide.

But on the spirit of your post, what if a "majority" of people voted that black people could no longer vote, or that women can't own property? Would that "majority" vote make those things right? Of course not.
yep wrote:
It's exciting to have a federal judge basically declare that our relationships are due the same legal respect," Brown said.
Actually, Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker declared that is does not matter what the voters vote for.
It is disturbing that the trial court, in order to strike down Prop 8, has literally accused the majority of California voters of having ill and discriminatory intent when casting their votes for Prop 8.
Way to go Judge, show our youth how important it is to get out there and vote!!!!!!!!!!
Give me a break

United States

#15 Aug 4, 2010
Seriously. It doesn't matter if voters approved it, if it is unconstitutional.

And again, the proposition only narrowly passed.
anneshirley

Hayward, CA

#16 Aug 4, 2010
aptos wrote:
So much for the 7 MILLION people who voted for the ban. The losers didn't like the legal outcome, so they sued.
What's the point of voting anymore?
Next time you vote, try keeping the constitution in mind.
bcjams

Fremont, CA

#17 Aug 4, 2010
anything that pisses off al qaeda i am all for it.
i know i have a conservative rep on this board so it will come as a surprise that i did not support prop 8. who cares who is lovin who.
bcjams

Fremont, CA

#18 Aug 4, 2010
nutjob christians , nutjob treehuggers , nutjob muslims aint no difference just a bunch a nutjobs
yep

Scotts Valley, CA

#19 Aug 4, 2010
anneshirley wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't get to vote for ignorance. Many people in the south voted to keep segregation legal.
That did not make it right.
The people who voted for Prop 8 literally did vote for something that was was discriminatory.
Please explain to me how they didn't.
If the constitution guarantees everyone life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, how is this wrong?
Oh. And remember.
There's also the bit about separation of church and state.
Go.
Then why bother allowing the people to vote, when the majority of the people vote for something that YOU call discriminatory?? Who are you to say the majority voted for ignorance. Why don't the people just give it to a judge to decide. Oh wait....wouldn't that be unconstitutional??I am not anti gay or lesbian. People should be able to make that choice 100%. I just believe that if the majority of people vote for or against something it should stand for something. Otherwise, why bother. your turn
Richard Saunders

Milpitas, CA

#20 Aug 4, 2010
The next step is to outlaw the state's recognition and licensing of marriage altogether.

What's the point of it anyway?

If the liberal degenerates will destroy every wholesome institution in America, we might as well keep its sanctity exclusively in the private sphere, where it belongs.
Lucas

AOL

#21 Aug 4, 2010
The new administration of the federal government seems to want to take all of the states rights away.
Dave

Pacifica, CA

#22 Aug 4, 2010
i'm neutral on this & regardless of what's right or wrong .... but how can a single judge over rule a voter approved initiative ?

“Homosapien ”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#23 Aug 4, 2010
Liberty and justice for ALL! Should be practiced by our laws regardless of what bigoted church goers or even a transient majority in any given state thinks.
yep

Scotts Valley, CA

#24 Aug 4, 2010
That comparison is ridiculous. I'm just saying that this is sending a message to the USA that Ca. does not believe in the power of the vote. That Ca will decide if the voters voted correctly or not.
Give me a break wrote:
The "majority" you people keep referring to was a slim 4.7 percent margin. Hardly a landslide.
But on the spirit of your post, what if a "majority" of people voted that black people could no longer vote, or that women can't own property? Would that "majority" vote make those things right? Of course not.

<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 20 min Cowobunga 50,638
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 24 min KiMare 25,347
ACLU: N. Idaho chapel now a religious corporation 32 min Otter in the Ozarks 17
Christian Pastors Given Choice: Perform Same-Se... 56 min TomInElPaso 242
Hitching Post wedding chapel sues over gay marr... 56 min Jumper The wise 44
Berlusconi: Let's legalize gay civil unions 1 hr Jumper The wise 10
Church boots AA group over gay weddings 3 hr DNF 148

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE