Gay Senator Comes Out As State Approves Same-Sex Marriage

Apr 23, 2013 Full story: WAPI-AM Birmingham 26

While the country waits for rulings from the Supreme Court on the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8, states are rushing ahead to reform their own regulations on marriage.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Greg Haisip

Clayton, NC

#1 Apr 23, 2013
I lived with my lover for over 10 years. He cheated on me and I cheated on him. Today I'm married God's way. My wife and I share the good news that Jesus can set you FREE from any sin and that includes the sin of homosexuality. I know that most people hate to hear the truth of God's word so they create their own god, however, there is ONLY one God and ONLY one way to heaven.
I USED TO BE ADDICTED TO MEN, BUT 7 YEARS AGO JESUS SET ME FREE!(YouTube video) I have had NO ex-gay therapy!
Chance

Grove City, PA

#2 Apr 23, 2013
Greg Haisip wrote:
I lived with my lover for over 10 years. He cheated on me and I cheated on him. Today I'm married God's way. My wife and I share the good news that Jesus can set you FREE from any sin and that includes the sin of homosexuality. I know that most people hate to hear the truth of God's word so they create their own god, however, there is ONLY one God and ONLY one way to heaven.
I USED TO BE ADDICTED TO MEN, BUT 7 YEARS AGO JESUS SET ME FREE!(YouTube video) I have had NO ex-gay therapy!
That is wonderful and good to hear. I know hat Jesus sets people free from lots of things, and I've always believed that he can set people free from the sin of homosexuality. It is not a matter of "praying away the gay." It is a matter of total transformation and rebirth in Christ, right.

Since: May 12

Livonia, MI

#3 Apr 23, 2013
Thank goddess I don't believe in sin.
I'm all good.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Apr 23, 2013
Link to the primary story ...

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/apr/22/s...

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#6 Apr 24, 2013
Why are Christians, particularly evangelicals and especially those who are anti-gay, such LIARS?

Why would you insult God by rejecting your ability to love other consenting adults the way HE created you?

Even the leaders of the biggest ex-gay group, Exodus International, admit that you can't "turn off" God's blessing of same-sex attractions any more than heterosexuals can "turn off" their opposite-sex attractions. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/exod...

God does not approve of lying. It's one of the ten commandments!
Larry

Mesquite, TX

#7 Apr 24, 2013
The best way Jesus sets us free is to be yourself and love others the way you want to be loved. And people that live in glass condos should not play with bricks.
Dan

Chicago, IL

#8 Apr 24, 2013
The click-through on this starts on the correct screen, then jumps me to a site called "RebelRocks" and I can't read the story. Anyone else have this problem?
Dan

Chicago, IL

#9 Apr 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
Link to the primary story ...
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/apr/22/s...
Thanks, sniper. Somebody screwed up the regular link. Somebody who thinks they will always be invisible.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#10 Apr 24, 2013
Greg Haisip wrote:
I lived with my lover for over 10 years. He cheated on me and I cheated on him. Today I'm married God's way. My wife and I share the good news that Jesus can set you FREE from any sin and that includes the sin of homosexuality. I know that most people hate to hear the truth of God's word so they create their own god, however, there is ONLY one God and ONLY one way to heaven.
I USED TO BE ADDICTED TO MEN, BUT 7 YEARS AGO JESUS SET ME FREE!(YouTube video) I have had NO ex-gay therapy!
Keep telling yourself that. I know a guy who "found Jesus" and admitted to me, after he got married, that he could only do his wife if fantasizing about men and missed his gay life every single day. He told me he was miserable, and in constant struggle but did not stray, though felt guilty constantly for even fantasizing of going back to his real proclivity. Lovely life you got going there for yourself.
Anonymous

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Apr 24, 2013
Greg Haisip wrote:
I lived with my lover for over 10 years. He cheated on me and I cheated on him. Today I'm married God's way. My wife and I share the good news that Jesus can set you FREE from any sin and that includes the sin of homosexuality. I know that most people hate to hear the truth of God's word so they create their own god, however, there is ONLY one God and ONLY one way to heaven.
I USED TO BE ADDICTED TO MEN, BUT 7 YEARS AGO JESUS SET ME FREE!(YouTube video) I have had NO ex-gay therapy!
Take your pHoney Voodoo and go sell it somewhere else..loser. God's word..LOL Thats FUNNY! You mean: MAN's WORD.....written by and FOR men, to keep the SHeeple/people in Line, in FEAR and those ever flowing COffers Full...Ka-CHING $$$$$.....You aint no better then anyone else cause' you've DECIDED to LIVE a LIE....so 10-15yrs from now - when your pants are down around your ankles at a Airport bathroom, trying to get Blowjobs from other "saved men" (cough, cough) you have NO-ONE but yourself to BLAME!
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#12 Apr 24, 2013
DragonHung wrote:
Thank goddess I don't believe in sin.
I'm all good.
I agree. Only sinners believe in sin.
ChicagoJohn

Chicago, IL

#13 Apr 24, 2013
Greg Haisip wrote:
I lived with my lover for over 10 years. He cheated on me and I cheated on him. Today I'm married God's way. My wife and I share the good news that Jesus can set you FREE from any sin and that includes the sin of homosexuality. I know that most people hate to hear the truth of God's word so they create their own god, however, there is ONLY one God and ONLY one way to heaven.
I USED TO BE ADDICTED TO MEN, BUT 7 YEARS AGO JESUS SET ME FREE!(YouTube video) I have had NO ex-gay therapy!
How ridiculous! If this is a true story you are the exception to the rule. And I doubt you are telling the truth. People's sexual orientation doesn't change, only their behavior. You can "choose" to be married to a women or "choose" to deny your true self but that doesn't make you a changed person. I am saddened for you that you can't be happy living who you truly are.

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#14 Apr 24, 2013
Greg Haisip wrote:
I lived with my lover for over 10 years. He cheated on me and I cheated on him. Today I'm married God's way. My wife and I share the good news that Jesus can set you FREE from any sin and that includes the sin of homosexuality. I know that most people hate to hear the truth of God's word so they create their own god, however, there is ONLY one God and ONLY one way to heaven.
I USED TO BE ADDICTED TO MEN, BUT 7 YEARS AGO JESUS SET ME FREE!(YouTube video) I have had NO ex-gay therapy!
If you lived with your male lover for 10 years and are now happily married to a woman, you're bisexual dear.

You make the same error the proponents of ex-gay therapy made and that they now admit. You see this as a one or the other deal when it isn't.

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#15 Apr 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
Link to the primary story ...
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/apr/22/s...
Many thanks. I tried to edit the story with the correct link, but it still shows the old broken link.

I wish the headline were different as well. To me the big story isn't about another closeted politician coming out, but instead should be about the repeal of a State Constitutional Same sex marriage ban.

When Florida passed Amendment 2, SSM had already been illegal here. So I didn't see the point of a Constitutional Amendment. On voting day I asked two ladies who were outside the polling place with signs supporting the Amendment, why they thought we needed it.

They immediately started in on the "activist judge" bit. To them this was the final solution to the question. They believed if they passed a State Constitutional Amendment, it would be much harder to overturn than a simple State Law. Guess these people forgot that if we can vote for a law, we can also vote to REPEAL the law.

Ten years ago there was a stampede to pass these laws. Today the tide has turned. I'm very happy that I'm seeing such a dramatic change in people's attitudes toward gays and lesbians and the marriage question.

To paraphrase that line from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre:
"WE don't need stinking activist judges"

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#16 Apr 24, 2013
Previous post notwithstanding, I really did like this part:
"In a particularly emotional moment, Sen. Kelvin Atkinson, D-North Las Vegas, publicly declared for the first time that he is gay.

"Iím black. I'm gay," Atkinson said in a trembling voice after describing his father's interracial re-marriage that would have been banned earlier in American history. "I know this is the first time many of you have heard me say that I am a black, gay male."

Atkinson went on to rebut the argument that gay marriage threatens any other definition of marriage.

"If this hurts your marriage, then your marriage was in trouble in the first place," he said."

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#17 Apr 24, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Many thanks. I tried to edit the story with the correct link, but it still shows the old broken link.
I wish the headline were different as well. To me the big story isn't about another closeted politician coming out, but instead should be about the repeal of a State Constitutional Same sex marriage ban.
When Florida passed Amendment 2, SSM had already been illegal here. So I didn't see the point of a Constitutional Amendment. On voting day I asked two ladies who were outside the polling place with signs supporting the Amendment, why they thought we needed it.
They immediately started in on the "activist judge" bit. To them this was the final solution to the question. They believed if they passed a State Constitutional Amendment, it would be much harder to overturn than a simple State Law. Guess these people forgot that if we can vote for a law, we can also vote to REPEAL the law.
Ten years ago there was a stampede to pass these laws. Today the tide has turned. I'm very happy that I'm seeing such a dramatic change in people's attitudes toward gays and lesbians and the marriage question.
To paraphrase that line from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre:
"WE don't need stinking activist judges"
In most States amending the State Constitution is harder than enacting/repealing some part of the State Code, and should be.

How does Florida compare?

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#18 Apr 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
In most States amending the State Constitution is harder than enacting/repealing some part of the State Code, and should be.
How does Florida compare?
I have to admit I don't know the answer. And by the time Florida got around to passing Amendment 2 the anti- Same Sex marriage folks had a lot of practice around the country by that point passing these Amendments.

It's ironic lately that the anti-gays have been comparing us to alcoholics. The Prohibition lasted only a few years. Maybe God was trying to send them a hint?

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#20 Apr 24, 2013
Larry wrote:
The best way Jesus sets us free is to be yourself and love others the way you want to be loved. And people that live in glass condos should not play with bricks.
A decent human being here, congrats.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#21 Apr 24, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Keep telling yourself that. I know a guy who "found Jesus" and admitted to me, after he got married, that he could only do his wife if fantasizing about men and missed his gay life every single day. He told me he was miserable, and in constant struggle but did not stray, though felt guilty constantly for even fantasizing of going back to his real proclivity. Lovely life you got going there for yourself.
I love when he said he was "addicted to men."
He sounds so fake that if he were any more fake, he'd be made of clay.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Apr 24, 2013
Greg Haisip wrote:
I lived with my lover for over 10 years. He cheated on me and I cheated on him. Today I'm married God's way. My wife and I share the good news that Jesus can set you FREE from any sin....
The two of you should setup a doubt date with Michele and Marcus Bachmann to go antiquing next Saturday after brunch.

If you haven't already.

(But you two men are not to be alone together away from one or both wives at any time, naturally, whether Marcus is your type or not. Praiz!)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 min hal 26,933
Missing memories (Aug '09) 7 min Gary V 44
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 29 min Rick in Kansas 60
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 2 hr Evil in Springboro 31,560
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr KiMare 51,291
Zen Buddhist Temple in Japan Offers Symbolic Sa... 5 hr DRUDAEGUCHINEDEBD... 44
Poll: Support for gay marriage drops in Mich. (May '14) 7 hr WeTheSheeple 62
More from around the web