NJ governor ends gay marriage fight a...

NJ governor ends gay marriage fight as couples wed

There are 10 comments on the KSL-TV story from Oct 21, 2013, titled NJ governor ends gay marriage fight as couples wed. In it, KSL-TV reports that:

Gov. Chris Christie dropped his legal challenge to same-sex marriages on Monday, removing the possibility that the vows of couples who began getting married hours earlier could be undone by a court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSL-TV.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#1 Oct 21, 2013
Political calculus: Opposition to marriage equality was hurting Cristie in NJ polls. It was destined to lose. Why prolong the pain? It's better to be overridden by a court than to let the legislature override his veto.

Republicans normally keep fighting same-sex marriage long after the battle has been lost. Even if he opposes equality, Cristie is pragmatic. That may well get him kicked out of the party.

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#2 Oct 21, 2013
Thank you Gov. Christie!!!
Schismatic Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Oct 21, 2013
I think the republican party is going to schism before Christie has a chance to toss his hat in the ring
The sides are too far apart (and too psychotic)

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#4 Oct 21, 2013
Schismatic Rainbow Kid wrote:
I think the republican party is going to schism before Christie has a chance to toss his hat in the ring
The sides are too far apart (and too psychotic)
The Republicans have truly painted themselves into a corner on the next presidential race.

Imagine what Christie's primary challengers would do to him with videos of him shaking Obama's hand and touring the Sandy-ravaged coast with him last year. Despite the fact that I think Christie has pretty good electability against a Democrat in the final race, he doesn't have a prayer of winning a primary in his own party.

And idiots like Ted Cruz, the Senator from Alberta, or Sarah Palin, Teabagger dream-girl, who are likely to win a Republican primary, have pretty much zero chance of winning a general election.

But then, I guess that type of thing comes with being The Party of Stupid, doesn't it?

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#5 Oct 21, 2013
Can the anti-gay folks like NOM, Million Moms and the rest kindly do us a favor and just boycott air.......I mean it does support the LGBTQI community;)

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#6 Oct 22, 2013
You know what's funny?? Because Christie vetoed the law that the legislature passed, the law that both allowed marriage equality *AND* gave religious bigots extra protection against lawsuits regarding their refusal to participate in equal rights....

NOW New Jersey has marriage equality ANYWAY, but guess what the bigots DON'T have??? Those extra protections for their bigoted behaviour.

Of course, they already HAVE those protections in the 1st Amendment's guarantee of freedom religion, but they would have had yet another layer protection had their Golden Boy not vetoed that bill.

Funny how things turn out sometimes, isn't it???

Littleton, NH

#7 Oct 22, 2013
eJohn wrote:
You know what's funny?? Because Christie vetoed the law that the legislature passed, the law that both allowed marriage equality *AND* gave religious bigots extra protection against lawsuits regarding their refusal to participate in equal rights....
NOW New Jersey has marriage equality ANYWAY, but guess what the bigots DON'T have??? Those extra protections for their bigoted behaviour.
Of course, they already HAVE those protections in the 1st Amendment's guarantee of freedom religion, but they would have had yet another layer protection had their Golden Boy not vetoed that bill.
Funny how things turn out sometimes, isn't it???
Because of pre-existing religious protections, I don't think the language in the bill made much of a difference, anyway.

But they really screwed the pooch on the federal DOMA thing. The anti-gay, including my own Senator Ayotte, should have forwarded a bill for limited federal recognition of same-sex marriages. Ayotte would have been in a perfect position to work with other legislators from states that recognize marriage equality and states that don't. Instead, she refused to consider federal acknowledgement for the same-sex couples she supposedly represented.

As it is, SCOTUS struck the bill and our administration decides how to implement the SCOTUS decision. We're in a far better position than if the legislature had done the right thing on their own.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#8 Oct 22, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of pre-existing religious protections, I don't think the language in the bill made much of a difference, anyway.
But they really screwed the pooch on the federal DOMA thing. The anti-gay, including my own Senator Ayotte, should have forwarded a bill for limited federal recognition of same-sex marriages. Ayotte would have been in a perfect position to work with other legislators from states that recognize marriage equality and states that don't. Instead, she refused to consider federal acknowledgement for the same-sex couples she supposedly represented.
As it is, SCOTUS struck the bill and our administration decides how to implement the SCOTUS decision. We're in a far better position than if the legislature had done the right thing on their own.
I totally agree about those protections not being needed since they're already there. It was put there to appease the idiots that will feel better about it and for no other reason.

I've always said that it's the extreme nature of the hate that is and was being pursued to by bigots that was and will be their final undoing.

They claim they want to "protect marrage." Okay. Whatever that means, okay. Then they pursue legislation that not only shuts gay couples out of marriage, but also "anything that could ever in a million trillion years EVER even look REMOTELY LIKE marriage", too.

THAT was the beginning on their undoing. I can't tell you how many straight people I talked with who's minds were changed about marriage equality when I explained to them that such legislation went FAR beyond keeping gay couples from marrying, but denied us any access to ANY legal protections EVER, simply because the bigots could always claim that whatever it was "looked sorta like a marriage" so, "no, you can't have that."

Had they been able to control themselves and pursue "reasonable" legislation that wasn't so obviously hate-based, I think they would have been a lot more successful.

They still would have lost in the long run, because they isn't any way to support such blatantly discriminatory laws anyway, but I think that they gay community could have lived a lot longer without marriage equality if we could have protected out families in other ways. But the bigots took that option off the table so we had no other options left but to go for full equality.

I thank bigots every day for their arrogance and ignorance. It's a beautiful combination that will always end in equal rights.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#9 Oct 22, 2013
Christie. Yet another limp dicked, democrat wannabe posing as a republican. I don't say "rino" because that would infer that the republican party actually stands for conservative values.

Littleton, NH

#10 Oct 23, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree about those protections not being needed since they're already there. It was put there to appease the idiots that will feel better about it and for no other reason.
I've always said that it's the extreme nature of the hate that is and was being pursued to by bigots that was and will be their final undoing.
They claim they want to "protect marrage." Okay. Whatever that means, okay. Then they pursue legislation that not only shuts gay couples out of marriage, but also "anything that could ever in a million trillion years EVER even look REMOTELY LIKE marriage", too.
THAT was the beginning on their undoing. I can't tell you how many straight people I talked with who's minds were changed about marriage equality when I explained to them that such legislation went FAR beyond keeping gay couples from marrying, but denied us any access to ANY legal protections EVER, simply because the bigots could always claim that whatever it was "looked sorta like a marriage" so, "no, you can't have that."
Had they been able to control themselves and pursue "reasonable" legislation that wasn't so obviously hate-based, I think they would have been a lot more successful.
They still would have lost in the long run, because they isn't any way to support such blatantly discriminatory laws anyway, but I think that they gay community could have lived a lot longer without marriage equality if we could have protected out families in other ways. But the bigots took that option off the table so we had no other options left but to go for full equality.
I thank bigots every day for their arrogance and ignorance. It's a beautiful combination that will always end in equal rights.
Hell, even I would have gotten behind civil unions if I had ever thought they had a snowball's chance of being enacted nationwide. We're always hearing about how we should settle for civil unions, but the people proposing that never actually support them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 hr crucifiedguy 4,727
News Video company challenges gay marriage law 3 hr Treasure Drove 2
News Democrats pressure Obama to offer blanket pardo... 12 hr Wildchild 1
News Japan's sex problem is so bad that people are q... 14 hr Dr Modi 1
News Nicole Kidman's priest says actress hopes one d... Tue Sco-ttt 2
News Were 'Fixer Upper' Stars Chip and Joanna Gaines... Tue Xstain Mullah Aroma 17
News Slovenians vote on whether to uphold same-sex m... (Dec '15) Mon fathiwady 13
More from around the web