Ramona bakery closes in Torrance

Full story: Daily Breeze 51
A popular bakery with a 71-year history in the South Bay area will close its Torrance store today. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
fidel

Santa Clarita, CA

#1 Jan 12, 2008
First McCowan's, now Ramona? We Pedrans have got to rally around our local establishments and not let them go the way of our other rapidly diminishing landmarks. Let's patronize our local businesses. Let Von's, Albertsons and Ralphs keep their cakes, they can absorb it.
Ramonas

United States

#3 Jan 12, 2008
When I got married the first time, 30+ years ago, there was only one Ramona's, in San Pedro. They did my wedding cake and it was spectacular!

When I married the 2nd time 4 years ago, I bought the cake at the Ramona's in Torrance. It was hideous! Dry & looked and tasted like it had been made weeks before!!! They didn't even have a box to deliver it in and it wasn't a big cake.

Ramona's went downhill a long time ago and the reason they closed is because people got tired of paying for poor service and poor quality.
DIANE MILLIE

AOL

#4 Jan 12, 2008
IT IS A SAD, SAD DAY FOR SAN PEDRO.....I HOPE THEY MAKE IT.
YOU CANNOT COMPARE THE FROZEN CAKES (MARKETS) WITH OUR RAMONA'S FINE BAKED GOODS
CINDY

United States

#5 Jan 12, 2008
WHEN I MOVED TO THE SO.BAY IN 1971 RAMONAS WAS THE PLACE TO GO, TOP OF THE LINE.....BY 1983 ramonas was garbage never went back, cant say im sad to see it gone forever.
harold

United States

#6 Jan 12, 2008
"GOOD, WHATS GOING TO BE THERE NOW? SOMETHING BETTER THAN RAMONAS I HOPE."
ron

United States

#10 Jan 12, 2008
i havent eaten at ramonas since i was a kid,i pass this restaurant on a weekly bases,i always wondered why the line is so long when the food is so nasty.
mike campbell

Yorba Linda, CA

#11 Jan 13, 2008
If only there was a law regarding in store bakeries ,as in non found.
Then the mom and pop operations would in deed survive.I remember watching film crews at ramona bakery in San Pedro,because of its
late 30s early 40's look.
using it for a back drop.
The pastries .....I used to drive 8 miles to get my weekly allowance of treats.
and for the quick service and for the reputation of serving only the best.with a smile...thank you ........you'll be missed
Don Karg

Phoenix, AZ

#12 Jan 13, 2008
Torrance should be proud of its “business heritage;” since the beginning--the City was a “State” operation and was stacked against the obsolete individual, the independent thinker---as their [the State’s] revenue is everything and ours [the individual] is nothing, expect as a vision of an obstruction to their [the State’s] plans. I saw this clearly tonight as I drove away from the Super bowl 43 Stadium [$448 million] in Glendale, Arizona---and drove past the dark and empty Car Dealership Lots. I could see why the State and the City has worked together to hold on to X amount of Bar Licenses for those “chosen” entrepreneurs at the Westgate Complex that opened up to the packed crowds of Middle-aged residents to insure their investment/subsidies will pay-off. The planning can be seen---“In 2002 when the Cardinals took over design and construction control of the stadium project [2000-2001 on the drawing board], the team set out to establish a new standard of design excellence and increased its investment in the project significantly,” www.azcardinals.com . The Farmers knew what prices to ask for [Selling price of Land] when I was in a CAP Meeting in Glendale in the Mid 1990s. Of course in Torrance it is completely different---Right! I remember the President of the Chamber of Commerce trying to scare me by saying it was “the German Mafia” just before I ran for Congress in 1992. At the local level I laughed knowing Panitch was murdered, and Mitoma’s house burned to the ground while the Sheriff’s watched and the Fire Department bitched. On the higher level, I could see Stronach, Schwarzenegger, Neubauer [King of Aerospace], and Cerberus/BAWAG/Chrysler, make their moves in the 60 year Shuffle. As Puch International was forced out of existence, along with the Parent Company in Graz, Austria, Slide-matic followed, and so did the meeting place at Michael’s Coffee Shop, McCowans Market, and Ramona’s Bakery in San Pedro were casualties too. In the Steve Forbes world the State’s income was un-interrupted as “they” poured the Subprimes into all their projects for “the state.” Now, we see the former Candidate for Governor in Arizona getting smashed over the head [Eddy---the owner of Bashes, AJ’s, and Food City] by the Unions and the NCLR. With the presence of Walmart Eddy cannot compete against his new rival to create the needed State Revenue---he is now obsolete and must “liquidated.” We know the NCLR is in Los Angeles, and we know the Germans are in Los Angeles, but we do not know why Mercedes is so quit in Carson. Are they waiting to put their name on the Galaxy Stadium?
Janice

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#13 Jan 13, 2008
It is a shame, it's a landmark, however peopel won't rally around a buisness with poor service and a poor product. Small buisnesses have the opportunity to provide a special service that grocery stores and mega stores do not. They also can create a great product, that people are willing to pay more for. When I was a kid, it was a treat to go into Ramonas to see the older women with smiling faces and in the past several years, it's been no smile, no sevice and bad cookies/cakes. No wonder. I have a feeling San Pedro will be okay.
Excuses

United States

#14 Jan 13, 2008
"Bodnar blamed the cutback on rising costs for bakery ingredients, an increase in the minimum wage and growing competition from discount warehouse retailers and grocery stores.

"There's a bakery in every market you go into now," he said. "It's pushing the little guy out."

I love how some small business people use this excuse for their own lack of foresight and bad business practices.

Ramona Bakery in Torrance had been losing customers for years, due to poor service (lost orders, orders not being filled on time, etc.) and lousy product.
Politics

United States

#15 Jan 13, 2008
Jeeze, it's amazing how some posters can take any article and turn it political.
Give it a rest bird of prey.
Sara

AOL

#16 Jan 13, 2008
I grew up in San Pedro and Ramona was the bakery for all. They made my wedding cake over 30 years ago and we bought all our baked goods there.
When they moved to Torrance, I was surprised to see that the bakery had taken such a turn downhill. I love their custard puffs, but the Torrance store always looked deserted and then they started selling "tamales" and etc. The clerks were school kids that could care less about customers. What really surprises me is that the store stayed open this long. With Ramona closing -- another part of my past is gone!
roy

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#21 Jan 14, 2008
ramonas sucks, has for years.wont loose any sleep over that dump going out of business.
marcus

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#33 Jan 14, 2008
nasty nickers has pretty good box lunches.
Tammy

United States

#37 Jan 14, 2008
Sorry to see you go!
Randell

Torrance, CA

#39 Jan 14, 2008
what do people think about BUSY BEES in SAN PEDRO??
Cake lover

Long Beach, CA

#42 Jan 15, 2008
No suprise to me! Ordered a cake last may for a bridal shower, went to pick it up and it was "missing". They did nothing to accomodate me. I was shocked by the lack of concern. This was the Torrance store. Also, it was very rundown and dirty inside. Nothing about that place looked good. I ended up having to buy a cake from the grocery store. Would have much rather had a real bakery cake!
utr driver

Buena Park, CA

#45 Jan 15, 2008
ROMONAS, IN SAN PEDRO NEEDS TO GO, BAD CAKES, I CALLED AHEAD OF TIME TO HAVE A CAKE MADE WITH WRITTING ON TOP, 3 DAYS AHEAD, THE WRITTING WAS WRONG AND IN THE WRONG COLOR, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME THEY GET A PAPER TOWEL AND WIPE IT OFF AND TRY TO PUT THE CORRECT WRITTING ON. I LEFT WITHOUT THE CAKE, AND WENT TO TORRANCE BAKERY AND THEY SERVED ME LIKE A KING, I EVEN ORDERED MY WEDDING CAKE FROM THERE. TORRANCE BAKERY IS THE BEST. IM VERY HAPPY ROMONAS IS CLOSING THERE DOORS SOON, THEY MAKE SAN PEDRO LOOK LIKE TRASH...
Torrance Resident

Harbor City, CA

#47 Jan 15, 2008
On the corner of Anza & Torrance Blvd is a good Ma & Pop Italian Restaurnat. I don't know the name but it sits below in the little shopping center behind KFC. Good food and atmospere.
InfinityPink - Redondo wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard so many mixed reviews that I'm not willing to take the chance on either Ramona's OR Vince's. I'll stick with Lido Bakery in Manhattan Beach and C&O Cucina in MDR.
Val

AOL

#48 Jan 15, 2008
i can understand the poor service, i recently got a rude gal on the phone, but people, the cakes are AMAZING!!!!! if anything, they need to just make cakes. i got them all my life for my birthday and i cant imagine not having one for my 32nd. call the owner, tell him to stop hiring loser high school kids that are rude and maybe get some older people who wouldnt mind part time work or minimum wage. Keep San Pedro's businesses alive and keep the best cakes baking!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 14 min southern Illinois... 50,039
Gazans rush to enjoy life after ruinous war 33 min I can read 94
Luhrmann, Gisele hit Chanel's Parisian boulevard 2 hr Jumper The wise 4
Divorce Law Out Of Synch With Same-Sex Marriage 2 hr Jumper The wise 19
Ex-Virginia Gov. McDonnell guilty on 11 corrupt... 3 hr Swedenforever 5
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 5 hr Boro parent 31,281
SCOTUS could inject same-sex marriage into races 6 hr Mykro 4

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE