Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments (Page 96)

Showing posts 1,901 - 1,920 of17,538
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Historical backlash leads to harm for homosexuals and heterosexual alike. Same sex marriage is like our daughters, sisters, mother and wives in front line combat. There is no gender equality right in the Constitution.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Historical backlash leads to harm for homosexuals and heterosexual alike. Same sex marriage is like our daughters, sisters, mother and wives in front line combat. There is no gender equality right in the Constitution.
Yes there is, the 14th Amendment.
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

I'm going to get a good laugh at you every time you start foaming at the mouth at women in combat. You hate gays, you hate women. Who do you like?

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
And we have yet to see how allowing gay people to participate under the laws currently in effect changes the marriages of straight people.
Maybe that's why Brian_G's marriage broke up?

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there is, the 14th Amendment.
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
I'm going to get a good laugh at you every time you start foaming at the mouth at women in combat. You hate gays, you hate women. Who do you like?
The equal protections clause of the 5th amendment is also gender neutral. So that makes two amendments that require equal protections for all persons, not just straight white men.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe that's why Brian_G's marriage broke up?
By golly, you could be onto something. I guess the sky is falling after all. Oh,,, I think I saw a pig just fly by...
sigh...

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

"Had those who drew and ratified the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth Amendment or the Fourteenth Amendment known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight. They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress. As the Constitution endures, persons in every generation can invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom." (Justice Kennedy in Lawrence.)

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
Happy to add it in there if you like.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy to add it in there if you like.
It's already there in the 5th and 14th amendments, and the 19th. Some simply refuse to see.

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
He likes his pets spayed and neutered, or they'll breed up the place and the NRA will be skeet shooting the angels who will be banging into each other and feathers everywhere and up your nose and all the noise and ...
*grin*
how you doing? in ireland yet?

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

“These matters, involving the most intimate and personal choices a person may make in a lifetime, choices central to personal dignity and autonomy, are central to the liberty protected by the Fourteenth Amendment. At the heart of liberty is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.”
SCOTUS

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

You don't just get to add stuff like 'gender equality' to the constitution. The Equal Rights Amendment failed ratification. The 14th Amendment explicitly lists different rights for males and females.

There will be backlash in prisons if same sex marriage becomes law. If you care about homosexuals, keep marriage male/female.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Sigh... smh

The gender disparity for counting voters in the 14th was nullified by the 19th amendment.

The 5th and 14th amendments require equal treatment for all persons. That includes women.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

I vow marriage is far more than same sex marriage, gender diversity is more than gender segregation.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Segregation and apartheid are ways of keeping people apart and denying equal treatment under the law.

Marriage equality brings people together and expands equal treatment. It is the opposite of segregation and apartheid.

Equal treatment for "all persons" is require by the 5th and 14th amendments, and promised in the founding documents.

Treating all persons equally does not restrict freedom, it expands it.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
I vow marriage is far more than same sex marriage, gender diversity is more than gender segregation.
That's pure babble.
You are just a homophobe trying to make his objection to equal rights sound reasonable.
You are a bigot and a dishonest coward.
At least the "Die! Gays! Die!" type of bigot has the honesty to express the real reason they are against gay marriage.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
You don't just get to add stuff like 'gender equality' to the constitution. The Equal Rights Amendment failed ratification. The 14th Amendment explicitly lists different rights for males and females.
No, it doesn't, you filthy lair.
Why bother with that lie when anybody can check?
Brian_G wrote:
There will be backlash in prisons if same sex marriage becomes law. If you care about homosexuals, keep marriage male/female.
No need for the ERA, the 14th Amendment says,
"nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

And your "forced prison marriage" has got to be the stupidest "argument" against gay marriage yet. Did you sit around thinking, "Wait! I can come up with something even dumber!"?

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
The equal protections clause of the 5th amendment is also gender neutral. So that makes two amendments that require equal protections for all persons, not just straight white men.
who own property.:)
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>your summary is at least entertaining as it really does hit the nail on the head. however i doubt that the fundamentalists had anything to do with the RSV. i'm trying to think of at least one "fundamentalist" who supported the rsv. can't come up with any.
If you can locate the 'bible committee list' of the 32 fundies who rewrote the Authorized King James Version to create the St. Jerome's Day RSV version; you won't have to work from memory. Keep in mind that the 32 fundies didn't work all at the same time; but rather they worked at different stages over the 15-year period of the project
The project was started in 1937 when fundamentalism was a type of superstition used in scary radio programs. Fundamentalism first appeared in organized religion with the introduction of the Revised Standard Version NEW Testament in 1946
Here is a bit of info about the original source of the 'Fundamentals'; a set of tracts that were handed out on street corners in New York City prior to World War I. Even though it is from the dailykos; the story jives with Wiki and other assorted historic accounts
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/03/26/8510...
Here is a direct link to the the Bible Committee's webpage
http://www.ncccusa.org/newbtu/reader.html

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
My marriage is far more than yours was.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Tony C wrote:
My marriage is far more than yours was.
That's a laugh; same sex couples don't deal with accidental pregnancy, miscarriages and births. Same sex couples don't have abortions.

Gender segregation marriage is inferior to gender integration marriage because diversity is the spice of life.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,901 - 1,920 of17,538
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••