Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments (Page 95)

Showing posts 1,881 - 1,900 of17,522
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>True, and the corollary, having government recognize same sex marriage will cost more money, is also true. We've already won the freedom issue; cohabitation, economic, religious and your social freedom to call yourself married exists everywhere in the USA. No state can stop your religious marriage ceremony, unless you're already married.
<quoted text>True, but marriage has always provided government with a tremendous benefit; the next generation of taxpayers.
<quoted text>I disagree with your definition of 'unpatriotic'. Let me ask, is it unpatriotic to spend trillions of dollars you don't have and saddle people with debt? I'd suggest; patriotism isn't the issue; I'm talking about management, leadership or just good stewardship.
<quoted text>You have the freedom to buy a health plan you choose, and negotiate with your employer for benefits. You might choose not to pool in a plan that treats the erectile dysfunction of the same sex partner of a homosexual employee. You might choose a plan with a high deductible that only covers hospitalization or the treatment of a limited set of illnesses.
Same sex marriage steals freedom, as surely as does Obamacare. The left wants government more than fathers, providing for children and government more than mothers, comforting and teaching children.
<quoted text>Too true. Four more years.
<quoted text>Which is why government shouldn't be involved; they only screw it up.
<quoted text>I dispute your argument; cost is the price of harm. If you like bigger government, same sex marriage is for you. If you like government to know its place; keep marriage one man and one woman.
Well that's a new one: "cost is the price of harm."

You just keep grasping at straws.

Gee, if women/blacks have the right to vote, then we have to print that many more ballots, have more polling stations open, etc.

Do the founding documents state that all men are created equal but there's no room in the budget for any more people?

Your argument is so asinine, it's insulting to America. We do not restrict peoples' rights based on the cost. Ever. Period.

Not to mention you haven't proven there would be an increase in cost.

1. You're only talking about health insurance. Most gay people already have health insurance. Haven't we gone over this already? It's more a matter of switching policies than writing new ones. Sure, some new ones will be written. That's OK. Get over it. Same thing happened with interracial marriage, didn't send us into a depression.

2. You're conveniently ignoring all the savings and revenue generated. When it is legal, more people will do it. Right now it is mostly certain gay people who go as far as marriage, government be damned. So you'll have the ceremonies themselves, the taxes that will generate, the people they will employ, etc. etc.

Then you have all the same harder to quantify but still there benefits of any other marriage. Statistically, spouses will live longer, healthier lives with less chance of government dependency. That means reduced health care costs, more improvement to homes and neighborhoods, stability, etc.

Tell me again about the cost. HA!

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>What are the consequences of that 'expansion', to men in prisons? If you think prison rape is bad, wait for prison forced marriages.
Where did you come up with that nonsense?
Brian_G wrote:
Writing new marriage laws redefines marriage. Until the 21st Century, marriage has always been gender diverse; same sex marriage brings a bad standard of gender apartheid to marriage.
No, moron, it doesn't. Apartheid is imposed.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
The issue isn't freedom; same sex couples have the right to cohabit; the issue is redefining marriage for everyone to make it gender segregated.
Down with gender apartheid marriage; keep marriage gender diverse.
You didn't keep your gender diverse marriage, you got divorced!
sickofit

Faribault, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Greed and glutony are both mentioned as evil in bible over 20 times each..Same sex is mentioned 5 times 4 of which are in old testament....HOW ABOUT RELIGOUS PEOPLE GET ALL FAT AND RICH SLIME UNDER CONTROL??????????Oh yea because rich and fat people are 80% of religous people..

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Yet, I make all my arguments without insulting my opponent's intelligence.
Most people would find your apparent belief that they're stupid enough to believe you insulting.

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>you wrote a lot of words just to show your ignorance of the study of these texts.
each copy may have its errors but they will not be the same as all the other copies. therefor by looking at the complete body of manuscripts from one passage, the actual original will reveal its self.
yes there really are only a few differences. unless of course you include all the families of manuscripts but even they will agree over ninety percent of the time and then the areas that they disagree will only be found in less then 5% of the documents.
but then you'll never be able to grasp that because even if they did agree 100% you would still reject them.
roll/role; the intent and the content was clearly understood so go play grammar police with your grade school student who needs to pas her next english test.
as for your example of "did you ever the thing...whisper..." you really don't know how things were copied nor do you understand how they are studied.
btw i'd settle for a million$
the word "homosexual" was not in a Bibles until recently because it didn't exist until recently. that doesn't mean it is not what was meant nor does it mean that it is not an accurate translation.
btw. my Bible doesn't use the word "homosexual" so i guess it escapes your "agenda" condemnation.
the truth is that the Bible is very clear and you just don't accept it. it would be more honest on your part if you would just simply say that you reject the authority of the word of God in stead of trying to use it to support your position.
um... the bible was written by men, not god.
secondly, there is only one mention of homosexuality listed in the bible, and that's where jesus said that being born gay from your mother's womb is to be called blessed by the heavenly parent. nowhere else is it even referred to.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

barry wrote:
<quoted text>what was the translation/version of your second set of verses?
Revised Standard Version
The rewritten NEW Testament was copyrighted in 1946 by the fundamentalists; and the rewritten OLD Testament was copyrighted in 1952 by the newly-formed (1950)'National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA'(NCC)
A little trivia; the NEW Testament was rewritten and sold first. It was bound solo as a compact 'bible' and sold from 1946 until 1952 to finance the OLD Testament project (a shoestring operation rescued by the NCC)
When the OLD Testament project was finally completed; it rejoined the NEW Testament and the combined 'bible' began distribution under merged copyrights on St. Jerome's day; September 30, 1952
Organized religionists actually began fighting among themselves nonstop when the rewritten NEW Testament was first published in 1946
Adding the OLD Testament back into the mix just multiplied the intensity and viciousness of the infighting and controversy that still rages in the fundamentalist world today
Today's Episcopal brouhaha is a prime example of how Fundamentalists with their 42+ different fake 'bible' versions; cannot get along with Christians
AzAdam

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

barry wrote:
<quoted text>good, then don't argue that church leaders need to follow your interpretation of it.
I don't. I simply ask that they not ask me to follow theirs. Thanks
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Revised Standard Version
The rewritten NEW Testament was copyrighted in 1946 by the fundamentalists; and the rewritten OLD Testament was copyrighted in 1952 by the newly-formed (1950)'National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA'(NCC)
A little trivia; the NEW Testament was rewritten and sold first. It was bound solo as a compact 'bible' and sold from 1946 until 1952 to finance the OLD Testament project (a shoestring operation rescued by the NCC)
When the OLD Testament project was finally completed; it rejoined the NEW Testament and the combined 'bible' began distribution under merged copyrights on St. Jerome's day; September 30, 1952
Organized religionists actually began fighting among themselves nonstop when the rewritten NEW Testament was first published in 1946
Adding the OLD Testament back into the mix just multiplied the intensity and viciousness of the infighting and controversy that still rages in the fundamentalist world today
Today's Episcopal brouhaha is a prime example of how Fundamentalists with their 42+ different fake 'bible' versions; cannot get along with Christians
your summary is at least entertaining as it really does hit the nail on the head. however i doubt that the fundamentalists had anything to do with the RSV. i'm trying to think of at least one "fundamentalist" who supported the rsv. can't come up with any.

Since: Jan 12

New Port Richey, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Used to be, prison and a fine; with same sex marriage it's prison, fine and spousal support court orders.
I didn't think they allowed internet connecting devices in mental institutions

“... from a ...”

Since: Mar 09

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
um... the bible was written by men, not god.
secondly, there is only one mention of homosexuality listed in the bible, and that's where jesus said that being born gay from your mother's womb is to be called blessed by the heavenly parent. nowhere else is it even referred to.
He likes his pets spayed and neutered, or they'll breed up the place and the NRA will be skeet shooting the angels who will be banging into each other and feathers everywhere and up your nose and all the noise and ...
Quest

Annandale, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Yet, I make all my arguments without insulting my opponent's intelligence. Even when these same ad hominem insults are repeated, I chalk it up as mistakes.
Ignore the effects of same sex marriage on prison life if you want. I pity the victims of ignorance.
On my Goodness!

NOW you believe that marriage and prison life are intertwined?

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
Yet, I make all my arguments without insulting my opponent's intelligence. Even when these same ad hominem insults are repeated, I chalk it up as mistakes.
Ignore the effects of same sex marriage on prison life if you want. I pity the victims of ignorance.
All of your "arguments" insult our intelligence. That's what happens with idiotic arguments, as a rule.

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't keep your gender diverse marriage, you got divorced!
omg, seriously, he's divorced?!

What a cliche!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
What a cliche!
Brian told us that he only got divorced to save the sanctity of "marriage." He won another award for stupidity that day.

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Brian told us that he only got divorced to save the sanctity of "marriage." He won another award for stupidity that day.
Now that is priceless. Did he ruin children also, as part of the package?

Hey Brian. My husband's name is Brian, also. Except he's not a douchebag like you.

We were smart enough and take marriage seriously enough to have "the big talks" before getting married. We don't cheat (no winking, no second chances.) We don't divorce. We don't want kids (except possibly to foster at some point.)

You have to discuss those things before you get married and make sure you're on the same page.

I realize it's hard for straight people to take marriage seriously because they tend to take it for granted. Lucky for you guys that gay people are getting involved. We'll help you along (well, not you personally - it's too late for you - you're already a failure at marriage.)

What was the reason - I'm just curious if it was biblically sanctioned. So few divorces are biblically sanctioned, you know.

In fact, we might take those passages out of the bibles and try to get a law passed to prevent you from ever marrying again.

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
On my Goodness! NOW you believe that marriage and prison life are intertwined?
With same sex marriage, prisons and other gender segregated institutions, could become the place to find your mate. Same sex marriage changes marriage rules for everyone, not just homosexuals.

BTW, grey box Quest, did you forget your password?

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
What a cliche!
Some poster said he was, and I believe him.(I don't have any first hand knowledge.) Very often those "keep marriage sacred" folks are.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>With same sex marriage, prisons and other gender segregated institutions, could become the place to find your mate. Same sex marriage changes marriage rules for everyone, not just homosexuals.
BTW, grey box Quest, did you forget your password?
Yeah, they could be, so what? It's not like you HAVE to marry someone of the same sex.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, they could be, so what? It's not like you HAVE to marry someone of the same sex.
And we have yet to see how allowing gay people to participate under the laws currently in effect changes the marriages of straight people.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,881 - 1,900 of17,522
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••