Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments
1,681 - 1,700 of 17,568 Comments Last updated May 2, 2014
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
These people are gonna hammer you.
Its no longer a discussion on these threads,its the gay way,or the highway.
You'll find that lots of strange people have become emboldened with the re-election of Oblamer and feel its their time to get theirs.
Topix is no longer a place where constructive dialogue gets exchanged.
Its degraded into a shooting gallery of agenda drivin insults,period.
Even the people who resisted that behavior are reduced to it.
Constructive dialog from YOU? riiiiight......
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
I accept you for what you are,isn't that enough?
Why do you need anybody elses approval?
Sounds very insecure to me,thats all.
Your approval is neither requested nor required.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>obviously i use google as i will substantiate my claims from the internet. however if i have googled it and have not found any studies pro or con on the topic that others are being so authoritative about then i will ask for help. apparently you're not very helpful or you don't have anything to substantiate the claim.
I don't believe you that you can't find it. That's like saying you can't find your front door.

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>except for the fact that you are content with the state endorsing your interpretation/version of religion.
Now that is twisted thinking, even for you.

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't include the verses where marriage was between one man and many women. Or when a woman had to marry her dead husband's kin. Or the ones where incestuous unions were supposed to populate the Earth.
Why is that?
And yet, you actually included Leviticus against gay folks, when NO CHRISTAIN TODAY actually follows those laws for ancient Hebrew priests.
It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
You pick and choose the verses that support your opinions, without giving a thought to what Jesus actually says and means.
But when you call Barry out on that, he just ignores that part of the post, and carries repeating his nonsense over and over as if it will ever become true.

He never answered as to whether he ever shops at Walmart or watches football on the Sabbath. Or if he protests those things or tries to ban them. That's in both the old and new testaments, not just Leviticus. Bet he has a great answer for that one!

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

BraveCon wrote:
The world got by just fine without gay marriage for thousands of years, and I think it could get by for thousands of more years without it.
For me, giving the status of marriage to homosexuals will not give any dignity to homosexuality.
I have always believed that it is just a widely-practiced sexual fetish and all the people who are into it want some respectablity from all the normal people in our society.
Yet, you can't/shouldn't ask normal people to respect people with fetishes despite how widely-practiced those fetishes are.
You have a wealth of information here in the form of real live gay people. You should be asking questions, rather than making sweeping statements about which you know nothing.

My marriage is not "a fetish." Toe-sucking is a fetish. My marriage is a lifelong commitment of love and fidelity.

The world got by just fine without women voting for a very long time as well. Is that justification for it?

Educate yourself.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Truthteller wrote:
<quoted text>You really don't get it. Most people do not consider sodomy to be the basis of family...
Actually, David, the majority of Americans DO believe that love, commitment, mutual support, ARE the basis for a family.

Really, only people with your illness start imagining men having sex whenever they hear of gay folks marrying.

And, no, that certainly isn't normal.

As I have said before, you do need help, and we pray that someday you will seek it.
Brad

Manchester, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your approval is neither requested nor required.
Yeah right.
Is that why you can't keep your private lives private?

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
All humans are born with sexual organs. It was Nature's intent that all animals, including humans, procreate. I believe going against Nature's intent is abnormal and doing so is a choice, it is not a built-in or natural trait that you are claiming.
Every gay marriage is a message to young people that making the choice not to procreate is an okay thing to do. I believe it is not and bad choices should not be given any legitimacy.
And by paying taxes, you are doing your civic duty, something you should do despite what the money is used for.
As usual, you (another anti-gay poster) haven't thought this through.

No, of course not ALL animals are intended to procreate.

Obviously some are born unable to procreate. Obviously some never find a mate. Obviously some die before maturation.

Gay marriage is not a message that choosing not to procreate is an okay thing to do. Many gay families raise children. So you could just as easily say gay marriage is also advocating for adoption, which is a hugely beneficial aspect of society, since so many of you heterosexuals can't seem to handle raising your kids.

But for the record, it IS perfectly OK for anyone to choose not to procreate.

The human race has to procreate. Every human being does not. Do you see how that works? 5% or so of the population not procreating because they are gay will never cause a shortage of people. Duh.

Your reasoning implies that being born infertile is also a choice, since it is against "normal nature." See how stupid that sounds?

It doesn't matter what you "believe." This is America. All men are created equal. What part of that didn't you understand?

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Truthteller wrote:
<quoted text>.
Why not forget about disenfranchising others in order for force your concocted, failed philosophy into law?...
David, please list all of the ways MY marriage and my family "disenfranchises" you personally.

Good luck with that one.

Really, Dear, all you have is the same failed philosophy of hate, fear, and lies. And even you must see that the American public has leaving you behind in your insecurity and terror of gay people and their families.

Get the help you need, David.

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

How about church leaders clean off there own porch...Greed and Glutony are both mentioned voer 20 times as being sins...I SEE ALOT OF RICH FAT SLOBS LEAVING CHUCRH ON SUNDAY.....How about worry about that...

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
These people are gonna hammer you.
Its no longer a discussion on these threads,its the gay way,or the highway.
You'll find that lots of strange people have become emboldened with the re-election of Oblamer and feel its their time to get theirs.
Topix is no longer a place where constructive dialogue gets exchanged.
Its degraded into a shooting gallery of agenda drivin insults,period.
Even the people who resisted that behavior are reduced to it.
Stupidity will be confronted and remedied. Get used to it.

Telling someone their marriage should not be legally recognized has never been "constructive dialogue." It is insulting to a huge degree. When you start off with that, good luck with constructive dialogue. Yet you folks get far more gracious dialogue than you deserve in return for your insults.

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care if you accept me or not. You're nobody to me.

The only thing that matters is the law.

The insecurity is all on your end - you're the one who's afraid here.

“Never give up”

Since: Dec 12

North Olmsted, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Nature intends it's creatures to legally marry?
You seem to forget that gay people are not infertile, and something like 30% of gay couples either have raised or are raising children. You also forget to mention that infertile straight folks, and those that do not choose to have children marry legally every day.
Is that against nature?
I guess I would have to ask you what you WOULD consider "natural"?
Would that be gay people pretending to be attracted to the opposite gender and marrying unsuspecting straight folks, as we have had to do for those thousands and thousands of years you were talking about?Do you really believe such a union is natural? And healthy?
Would you want that for yourself? For your child? Would you pray that someday your own child be sucked into a loveless marriage of convenience?
If you would not willingly accept that for your own family, why would you suggest it for the families of others?
That doesn't seem very "natural" to me.
I would suggest that people that prefer to be homosexual not marry.

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right.
Is that why you can't keep your private lives private?
No, that's because we are fighting to restore our God-given rights. You just happen to be listening.

...and spending a bizarre amount of time on these message boards. Normal, well-adjusted straight people don't do that.

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

How do I get bad judging on my post.....I POSTED 100% FACT................You see christians dont care about all the other sins in the buybull....THEY ONLY WANT TO STOP GAYS AND ABORTION....THE REST OF RULES THEY COULD CARE LESS..

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not acceptable.

If you want to go and start your own country and make that a rule, go ahead.

But this is America, where all men are created equal. Apparently you need to be reminded of that.
Quest

Woodford, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need your approval, I need equal protection under the law for my spouse and my children.
Wouldn't YOU fight for that, if it were to be taken from you?
If protecting ones family is being "insecure", then every single other married person in this country is equally insecure.
And, I also believe that sending a message to gay youth that such as path is open to them is a HEALTHY message, and will help them make better choices.
Have you tried to impart such a message to your own kids?
Quest

Woodford, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't get a choice in our sexual orientation, but We DO have a choice in how we live.

And for someof us (not all of us), that's the married life. We fall in love and form families in the same ways and for the same reasons that all other folks do.

Why would you think that ONLY gay people should never choose this path, simply because of a harmless natural trait?

If that is a healthy and positive choice for a heterosexual, why is it a bad choice for a gay person?

Really, if you want to stop every gay person from valuing and seeking marriage and family life, then you are going to have to stop teaching ALL children to value it.

Because many of those kids are listening to you.

And some of them are gay.

“Never give up”

Since: Dec 12

North Olmsted, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't get a choice in our sexual orientation, but We DO have a choice in how we live.
And for someof us (not all of us), that's the married life. We fall in love and form families in the same ways and for the same reasons that all other folks do.
Why would you think that ONLY gay people should never choose this path, simply because of a harmless natural trait?
If that is a healthy and positive choice for a heterosexual, why is it a bad choice for a gay person?
Really, if you want to stop every gay person from valuing and seeking marriage and family life, then you are going to have to stop teaching ALL children to value it.
Because many of those kids are listening to you.
And some of them are gay.
Those who truly want a family and/or a family life should want to procreate. It seems to me that you homosexual people want to play 'pretend family' and doing so will make you feel better about yourself, about your homosexual lifestyle, and playing 'family' will give you some respectability among normal people.

I think you homosexual people would be better off just being swingers and living together if you want to. Marriage is not a guarantee of happiness, look at all the divorces in life.

Moreover, I think many of you homosexuals believe that marriage will fill that void in you that was created when you choose not to procreate.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••