Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#18150 Mar 19, 2014
There is no fundamental right to rewrite marriage law for everyone based on sexual predilection.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#18152 Mar 19, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
There is no fundamental right to rewrite marriage law for everyone based on sexual predilection.
There is a fundamental right to equal protection under the law, and you are too stupid to offer any valid reason why same sex couples should be excluded from equal protection.

This is why imbeciles, like yourself, have continually lost in court.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#18153 Mar 19, 2014
Same sex couples don't meet the standard of one man and one woman marriage. The majority has voted on marriage law, it represents our culture's value that a husband and wife are both needed in marriage. The people reject sex segregated marriage because it leads to disunity, prejudice, separatism and voluntary sex apartheid of marriage.

If you believe a child is better off with mother and father then keep marriage one man and one woman.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#18154 Mar 19, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex couples don't meet the standard of one man and one woman marriage.
And you don't meet the standard of marginal intelligence. Brian, are you smart enough to indicate a compelling state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry, or are you a moron?
Brian_G wrote:
The majority has voted on marriage law, it represents our culture's value that a husband and wife are both needed in marriage.
Good news, moron, fundamental rights are not subject to public opinion.
"One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/...
Tell me, moron, does allowing same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry in any way affect your rights?
Brian_G wrote:
The people reject sex segregated marriage because it leads to disunity, prejudice, separatism and voluntary sex apartheid of marriage.
The people don't have the right to substitute their judgment for the judgment of individuals, or to make choices for them. Why do you hate freedom?
Brian_G wrote:
If you believe a child is better off with mother and father then keep marriage one man and one woman.
If you believe a child is better off with a mother and father, work to ban divorce, and prevent single parenthood, moron.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#18155 Mar 19, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
Can one function contrary to one's "sexual orientation"?
Would that be something you recommend to people? Is it possible that people have different levels of functionality in similar situations? Just because you're bisexual and choose to be with women doesn't mean that choice is easy for others.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#18156 Mar 19, 2014
Same sex marriage effects the marriage of the Christians they sue because they decline to attend and serve a same sex wedding ceremony.

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#18157 Mar 19, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
On the contrary, marriage laws aren't exempt from fundamental constitutional rights of equal protection and due process. Further the ability to petition government to address grievances is another constitutionally guaranteed right of citizens; redress includes judicial review of laws that violate individual rights.

Why do you lie, Brian?

“From a distance...”

Planet Earth

#18158 Mar 19, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex couples don't meet the standard of one man and one woman marriage.
That "standard" violates the constitutional rights of gays to equal protection and due process.
Brian_G wrote:
The majority has voted on marriage law
The will of the majority is irrelevant if the result violates the constitution.
Brian_G wrote:
it represents our culture's value that a husband and wife are both needed in marriage.
That "culture" is based in part on a long history of discrimination against same sex behavior and gays which violate their constitutional rights and therefore isn't permissible.
Brian_G wrote:
The people reject sex segregated marriage because it leads to disunity, prejudice, separatism and voluntary sex apartheid of marriage.
The "people" at one time owned slaves, withheld the right to vote from women and enforced racial segregation too. Fundamental rights (like marriage) of citizens aren't subject to majoritarian vote. Further, the "people" have apparently reconsidered their previous attempts to discriminate against gays as a majority now favor legal recognition of same sex marriages. As a result, some states have already changed their laws to accomplish this. In others, attempts are underway to undo previous state constitutional amendments. And where that's not happening, gays are exercising their constitutional right to petition government to address their grievances through the legal system.
Brian_G wrote:
Apparently the state doesn't share your belief it already allows single people to adopt children and doesn't remove children from single parent households. Unfortunately for you, Brian, procreative and child rearing decisions are constitutionally protected liberty interests of individuals and aren't subject to your dictates.

“From a distance...”

Planet Earth

#18159 Mar 19, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage effects the marriage of the Christians they sue because they decline to attend and serve a same sex wedding ceremony.
Breaking the law can indeed potentially impact the marriage of the lawbreaker, Brian. It's no different for Christian lawbreakers. But that impact is a consequence of their willful decision to break the law and isn't the responsibility of the victims of their crime.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#18160 Mar 19, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
No one is rewriting ANYTHING Brian......marriage is still defined as a Civil Contract between 2 consenting adults over the age of 18 and NOT related by blood!!!

See, you still have the right to marry and divorce as many times as ya want.......however you DON'T get to tell me who I can marry, what gender they should be or that some other recognized contract is okay!!!

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#18161 Mar 19, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex couples don't meet the standard of one man and one woman marriage. The majority has voted on marriage law, it represents our culture's value that a husband and wife are both needed in marriage. The people reject sex segregated marriage because it leads to disunity, prejudice, separatism and voluntary sex apartheid of marriage.
And they DON'T have to!

The majority DON'T get to vote on a minorities right to marry.....now, if you want to vote on my right to marry, then I should be allowed to vote on YOUR right to marry.......and we'll see how that turns out for ya....is that okay? OH and by voting....I mean either EVERYONE gets the right to marry the person of their choosing or marriage goes away......I wonder how that vote would turn out!!!

Again, the people DON'T get to decide or define marriage and you can keep making your asinine comments regarding what you believe the marriages of Gay and Lesbian couples are, but people EVERYDAY get to decide for themselves who they want to marry....NOT you!!!

And regardless of whether you believe every child requires a mom and dad.......the States disagree with you and again having children is NOT required in order to be married or get married!!!
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#18162 Mar 19, 2014
Moulinyan Parmesian wrote:
<quoted text>Marriage isn't a "right".
Yes, it is, dumbass.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ! Do you fools EVER fact check?
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#18163 Mar 19, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Your syntax sucks for air, Brian.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#18164 Mar 19, 2014
Moulinyan Parmesian wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't.
SCOTUS has ruled 14 times that marriage is a civil right.

Stop making yourself look stupid.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#18165 Mar 19, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Tell me, Brian. Have you ever had one logical thought in your entire life?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#18166 Mar 19, 2014
Backlash update: Illinois had a primary yesterday. Three Republicans who voted for equality had opponents attacking them for it. All three won their elections.

They can't even scare up a backlash from the Republican Party that just finished firing its chairman for supporting gay rights. How's that going for Democrats?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#18167 Mar 19, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
Backlash update: Illinois had a primary yesterday. Three Republicans who voted for equality had opponents attacking them for it. All three won their elections.
They can't even scare up a backlash from the Republican Party that just finished firing its chairman for supporting gay rights. How's that going for Democrats?
Thanks for the update.
Child Stealer

Springfield, MA

#18169 Mar 19, 2014
Me too!
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#18171 Mar 19, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
Excellent news

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#18173 Mar 20, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, Jo doesn't get it. Gender differences are both important and large. By important, gender differences mean the survival of the human race. By large, gender differences are reflected in language, dress and custom.
Now, do you get it?
Gender differences aren't affected by gays or their marriages.

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>That remains to be seen; I recommend waiting a half dozen generations just to be sure.
No, it doesn't remain to be seen. If you can't present a cause and effect argument demonstrating your point, you've as much as admitted you don't have one.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>Without gender differences, gays would be bisexual.
By far one of the stupidest things you've said to day. Like most morons, your comprehension of what bisexuality is, is as stunted as your comprehension about just about everything else.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the ideal social organization is one man and one woman marriage, you're entitled to your opinions.
I'm entitled to equality Brian, as an equal citizen I'm entitled to every right and privilege that other people have. That's why I'm already married. And as noted so many times in the past, you can't demonstrate one way that my marriage affects the marriages of straight people, and you can't cite one possible way that my marriage affects the growth of the human race. Of course, the floor is always open for you to try. Come on coward, what are you waiting for? Show everyone on this thread how my marriages has affected the survival of the human race.

Waiting....

waiting....

Waiting.....

Brian_G = Village Idiot
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
One thing for sure, we can't depend on same sex marriage for the survival of our species.
Tell that to my children. They will laugh in your face.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one benefit opposite sex couples give, not same sex couples.
Wrong again. Both sets of couples are capable of perpetuating our species. On top of that Brian, even if we gays don't perpetuate our species, we aren't affecting anyone else's ability to do so. Our marriages, just like the marriages of sterile straight people, and the marriages of straight people past the age of childbearing, DON'T AFFECT ANYONE ELSE'S ABILITY TO PERPETUATE THE SPECIES. You can't provide one cause/effect from gays being married that actually affects the perpetuation of the human species. Not one. Yet you come here everyday and lie about it. Your god despises you Brian_G, he says so in his little bible.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, whatever floats your boat but don't fool yourself.
I see. You're the one rambling on about how gay marriages will affect the growth of the human species (while at the same time stating that civil unions of gay people will NOT affect the growth of the human species). The only one trying to fool themselves is you moron.

Still waiting Brian, let us know when you can demonstrate how my marriage has negated some straight couple's ability to procreate. Hurry back now moron.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Will Donald Trump be invited to the royal wedding? 2 hr ardith 100
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 hr Frindly 14,869
News All bets are off at the Supreme Court 7 hr Abrahamanic Relig... 27
News Top Indonesia court rejects attempt to criminal... 7 hr Abrahamanic Relig... 2
News Race against time for Australia's first same-se... 7 hr Abrahamanic Relig... 4
News Gay couple, devout baker take cake fight to hig... 9 hr EdmondWA 71
News Gay man denied marriage license hopes to unseat... Wed Voter 78
More from around the web