Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 Full story: NBC Chicago 17,567

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Full Story
barry

Rainsville, AL

#1705 Jan 20, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
My point was obvious (to those not from Alabama - and I'm from Jersey, so Pennsylvania is the same thing to me.) The point was churches always refuse to marry people. They aren't forced to marry divorced people, so how are they going to be forced to marry gay people?
Stupid.
that wasn't my point. my point was the attack right now is forcing religious schools to employ otherwise qualified people who do not agree with or practice the moral principles of the church involved. the marriage issue is a moot point because you can be just as married somewhere other than by the church.
sorry to hear that you still living in jersey. my family left there a generation ago. and from what i hear the exodus continues. gotta hate those taxes.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#1706 Jan 20, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
thanks for the interesting article. however it didn't seem to address the claim that "None of those statistics backed up your stupid claims about kids turning gay because of same-sex sexual abuse." it mostly was about adult molesting kids. it did seem to support your claim about; "almost all child molesters are heterosexual." except that a 70-30 split hardly is "almost all"
Erickson et al.(1988). Behavior patterns of child molesters. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 17, 77-86.
This study was based on a retrospective review of the medical records of male sex offenders admitted to the Minnesota Security Hospital between 1975 and 1984. Apparently, 70% of the men abused girls, 26% abused boys, and 4% abused children of both sexes.

from your posted link
http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/fa...
barry

Rainsville, AL

#1707 Jan 20, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Google it. The information is readily available, and I'm not doing your homework for you. It's been posted on these forums time and time again.
lazy? or don't have any?
barry

Rainsville, AL

#1708 Jan 20, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have ANY idea what you are talking about? Any at all?
do you care?
barry

Rainsville, AL

#1709 Jan 20, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, not a single serious Bible scholar would agree that it has "a lot to say about homosexuality." There are very few references in a very big book.
But that book talks a lot about loving one's neighbor and minding one's own business. I know you'd like to think that those are less important than the passages about homosexuality. I understand that: It's much more fun to point out what you consider to be other people's foibles than to deal with your own demons. Besides, if you acknowledged what the Bible really said, you might have to question your own sainthood.
But that is the reality.
really how about listing ....say ten references about loving your neighbor and maybe five about minding your own business. that ought to qualify for "a lot". lol.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#1710 Jan 20, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>thanks for the interesting article. however it didn't seem to address the claim that "None of those statistics backed up your stupid claims about kids turning gay because of same-sex sexual abuse." it mostly was about adult molesting kids. it did seem to support your claim about; "almost all child molesters are heterosexual." except that a 70-30 split hardly is "almost all"
Erickson et al.(1988). Behavior patterns of child molesters. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 17, 77-86.
This study was based on a retrospective review of the medical records of male sex offenders admitted to the Minnesota Security Hospital between 1975 and 1984. Apparently, 70% of the men abused girls, 26% abused boys, and 4% abused children of both sexes.
from your posted link
http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/fa...
I think you should read more carefully. You seem to subscribe to the same fallacy that many anti-gay agitators do: Since 30% of male molesters preyed upon boys, they must be gay (or bi-sexual). The article is quite clear that orientation toward other adults (which is the primary focus of this forum) does not seem to correlate with the choice of victims. Indeed, the only conclusion that researchers agree on is that pedophiles often chose victims based purely on opportunity. Hence, the heterosexual Sandusky may have preyed on boys in the locker room because that's where he had access to them, not because he preferred young boys to young girls.

The article goes to great lengths to clear up that distinction, but it was apparently lost on you.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#1711 Jan 20, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. OK, are you even in the realm of reality?
That first sentence makes absolutely no sense.
There is no such thing as "gay lifestyle."
However, I am gay, married, and real, so that's factual for ya.
Try to disprove my existence LOL.
You're gonna argue semantics?
Here then,,,,
You choose to live life in the style of a gay,hence,gay lifestyle.
Hint; When all the words are in the definition of a phrase,that makes the phrase a derivative of the definition.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#1712 Jan 20, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>really how about listing ....say ten references about loving your neighbor and maybe five about minding your own business. that ought to qualify for "a lot". lol.
You're kidding, right? Are you a Confuciusist?(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Leviticus 19:18 and 19:34. Mathew 19:19 and 22:39. Mark 12:31. Luke 6:31 and 10:27. Romans 13:9. Galations 5:14. James 2:8

Matthew 7:5 Luke 6:42 Peter 4:25 Thessalonians 4:11 Proverbs 6:20

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#1713 Jan 20, 2013
Lililth_Satans_Bore wrote:
<quoted text>how's the wife
hi yer, sweety... how's it going now?

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#1714 Jan 20, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Here then,,,,
Hint; When all the words are in the definition of a phrase,that makes the phrase a derivative of the definition.
um... what is 'the style of a gay'?
LION

Charlotte, NC

#1715 Jan 20, 2013
BLACKS

dont need to worry abotu who marry who but how to build up the black community

SUPPORT BLACK OWNED BANKS

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1716 Jan 20, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>well we do have experience that backs up the claim. i was just wondering if tony c had any links to support his claim that "almost all child molesters were heterosexual". of course his claim might be a little off subject as the original claim was that children abused by homosexuals turn into abusers themselves.
Look it up. I'm not your errand boy. It's common knowledge. Presumably you know how to use google.

The fact that you didn't already know that demonstrates how ill-informed you are and how ill-equipped to even be involved in this discussion. Your opinions are based on bullsh!t.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1717 Jan 20, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>that wasn't my point. my point was the attack right now is forcing religious schools to employ otherwise qualified people who do not agree with or practice the moral principles of the church involved. the marriage issue is a moot point because you can be just as married somewhere other than by the church.
sorry to hear that you still living in jersey. my family left there a generation ago. and from what i hear the exodus continues. gotta hate those taxes.
I'm not living in Jersey. I moved to Florida for the weather about 15 years ago. But I'm very glad to have been raised and especially to have gone to school in Jersey. We're smarter up there, overall.

Your church stuff has no bearing on this conversation if you aren't applying it to gay marriage.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1718 Jan 20, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>lazy? or don't have any?
Definitely lazy. And not doing your homework for you. What's your problem? Look it up.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1719 Jan 20, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Here then,,,,
You must be new to this conversation, because you're making all the newbie mistakes.

There is no such thing as a "gay lifestyle" any more than there is a "straight lifestyle." Living at the beach is a lifestyle. Traveling the world is a lifestyle. Both straight and gay people do those things and any other lifestyle you can think of. There is no "gay lifestyle."

Learn it.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1720 Jan 20, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Here then,,,,
And you never explained your first sentence in English:

"Gay lifestyle,by its definition alone,is a far cry from factual."

What the hell does that mean?
Brad

Manchester, CT

#1721 Jan 20, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
And you never explained your first sentence in English:
"Gay lifestyle,by its definition alone,is a far cry from factual."
What the hell does that mean?
Really?
A lifestyle is something you choose.

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#1722 Jan 20, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
A lifestyle is something you choose.
you mean like being a dumbazz christard

Bellevue, WA

#1723 Jan 20, 2013
dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
hi yer, sweety... how's it going now?
hi sweetie.. how are you :)

Bellevue, WA

#1724 Jan 20, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree,across the board.
no one cares bigot

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 12 min kjw51 176
Black churchgoers break with leading Democrats ... (Apr '12) 14 min Brian_G 1,907
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 17 min RevKen 48
Will the Supreme Court End Gay Marriage as an E... 29 min nhjeff 439
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 34 min RevKen 26,713
Washington County in Florida the Only Focus of ... 44 min DaveinMass 8
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 48 min Another View 31,514
More from around the web