Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments (Page 7)

Showing posts 121 - 140 of17,568
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Carol

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Is there any other kind?
lol

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Said the intolerant arrogant bigot
One needs a little arrogance to match yours. But you are the one who combines arrogance with the brain of a boiled eggplant.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
a person was fired simply for opposing you?
and then hired back when people found out abotu it?
yes....i think its a perfect real world example of your side's hypocrisy...
There's a context surrounding the story. The fact is that the woman was put on paid leave and then was re-instated. I do not dismiss the stress that added to her life. But you dismiss the fact that these things happen on a regular basis to gay people without such a satisfactory resolution. Indeed, gays in her state can be summarily fired with no recourse whatsoever.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

the light has come wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say violated or in jeopardy. Did I say anything about jail or fined. You must not keep up with the news. When California pass prop 8, there were people who lost there jobs because they made a donation to prop 8. When People in the public eye say anything against gay people, you see them coming back and apologizing. You can think I am stupid but the saw cuts both ways.
I keep hearing about these alleged firings, but never any support for the rumors.

Have any?

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

I was pointing out what has happen as some of the people posting think it do not happen. Many laws have been made that are force on the people but they obey them. When there is a conflict in views on the same subject a vote is what decide which one to follow. Because people with religion have different views, they have a right to vote on or against those who differ. The majority may not be right but it is the majority who have the last say in most cases.
Not always. Sometimes that's what's called Tyranny of the Majority. Like Benjamin Franklin said, sometimes democracy is like two wolves and a sheep, voting on what's for dinner. The sheep doesn't get a very good deal.

People with religion are free to have all their various different views, but you cannot vote to make other people obey your religion. Religion is supposed to be a personal matter. There's no justification for enforcing Christianity onto anyone.

If you don't believe that homosexuality is right for you, then don't pursue it. If you want a marriage to someone of the opposite sex, then do that. But don't presume to order others into doing what you prefer. That doesn't suit everyone. Nothing is hindered in your life by allowing others to live theirs.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Carol wrote:
No one should apologize for saying that nature intended for children to have a mama and daddy.
No, but maybe apologies are in order for all the children who have been abandoned by heterosexual couples. Being straight doesn't automatically mean that you're good at parenting. My straight cousin has 4 different kids with 3 different women. You people don't always know what you're doing, or how to control your own breeding. At least gay families are ALWAYS planned.
Carol wrote:
No one should apologize for saying that 100% of homosexuals choose to be with the same gender or are raped as kids (or in prison) and becomes use to same gender sex.
Yes, THAT you should apologize for. That's 100% crazy talk. I wasn't raped as a kid, nor ever in prison, and I mad no "choice" to be gay. No one I ever met has.

I don't know if a person can become "used to" gay sex or not, but doing so shouldn't shut OFF heterosexual feelings at the same time. Your explanation should only make everyone bisexual, but that isn't the case. Many people feel absolutely nothing for the opposite sex. I suppose you think that was "raped" and "prisoned" OUT of them?

I don't know where you got your information, but go back and tell them they're full of it. Whoever you spoke to has obviously never met a REAL gay person, and unfortunately it sounds like you never sought out any either, for confirmation of that nonsense. Get the real facts from real people. Don't rely on the cartoon stereotypes that are being fed to you.
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Not always. Sometimes that's what's called Tyranny of the Majority. Like Benjamin Franklin said, sometimes democracy is like two wolves and a sheep, voting on what's for dinner. The sheep doesn't get a very good deal.
People with religion are free to have all their various different views, but you cannot vote to make other people obey your religion. Religion is supposed to be a personal matter. There's no justification for enforcing Christianity onto anyone.
If you don't believe that homosexuality is right for you, then don't pursue it. If you want a marriage to someone of the opposite sex, then do that. But don't presume to order others into doing what you prefer. That doesn't suit everyone. Nothing is hindered in your life by allowing others to live theirs.
You can talk all you want but people have voted against the gay agenda and laws have been made to keep them from marrying.
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep hearing about these alleged firings, but never any support for the rumors.
Have any?
If you heard bout them then then someone is saying it regardless if you do not hear any details. I heard the news everyday but I could not go back and tell them to replay the news I heard a year ago even though I heard it at that time. People ask impossible things that do not make sense.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

<quoted text>You can talk all you want but people have voted against the gay agenda and laws have been made to keep them from marrying.
The light is out.
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>Just as I thought, yet another big fat LIE.
You said i lied but you did not admit that you do not write down everything you see on tv to this site. You want to dispute anyone that have info you do not have as a lie.
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe the gay "agenda" is to keep you out of their underwear.
The gay agenda is trying to gain rights that they do not have by law. Since laws effect everyone,this is a public debate.
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are a little confused. Is there something about SAME SEX couples that escapes you? Both are males or both are females. No one is "playing a role." Your inability to think outside your heterosexism doesn't give much confidence in your ability to reason.
you never admit it but one of the partners in gay relationship is passive and the other is assertive. One play the role of the male and the other the female. one look famine and one masculine.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

You can talk all you want but people have voted against the gay agenda and laws have been made to keep them from marrying.
I have no idea what the "gay agenda" is, other than the hope that we might be treated with some equality and respect, and given the freedom to decide the course of our own lives, without someone else telling us that we must be exactly like them.

But those laws are unconstitutional, and are falling away one after the other. Watch them go. When they're all gone, your life won't even be affected. You'll still be able to enjoy your religion however you like, and I will have the same freedom.

You can't just steal people's freedom away with a vote, simply because you decide to call their struggle an "agenda". That attitude begins to look like a "Christian agenda", and most Christians don't like their religion smeared in such a horrible way. Enjoy your religion, but don't try to force other people to live according to it.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

<quoted text>If you heard bout them then then someone is saying it regardless if you do not hear any details. I heard the news everyday but I could not go back and tell them to replay the news I heard a year ago even though I heard it at that time. People ask impossible things that do not make sense.
If such is real news, then there are websites with archives of news stories.

Have any?
Qwerty26

Lewes, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
...Thank God everyday for then laws of this land based on the Christian Gods laws.
OK, I'll bite. Please elaborate. What exactly are the christian god's laws, and how do they form the basis of laws in our country?
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea what the "gay agenda" is, other than the hope that we might be treated with some equality and respect, and given the freedom to decide the course of our own lives, without someone else telling us that we must be exactly like them.
But those laws are unconstitutional, and are falling away one after the other. Watch them go. When they're all gone, your life won't even be affected. You'll still be able to enjoy your religion however you like, and I will have the same freedom.
You can't just steal people's freedom away with a vote, simply because you decide to call their struggle an "agenda". That attitude begins to look like a "Christian agenda", and most Christians don't like their religion smeared in such a horrible way. Enjoy your religion, but don't try to force other people to live according to it.
You do know what the gay agenda is you covered some of it. What has passed, we all know. we can talk about what is happen now but tomorrow is not written. No one know what the future will be we just hope it will be better.
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>The light is out.
At lease i have a light. you do not have a candle. When I turn my light on you still can`t see it because you are blind.
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
If such is real news, then there are websites with archives of news stories.
Have any?
I tell you what you can do. You search all of the news websites and prove me wrong.
Carol

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>No you aren't, liar. You are imitating talking points from the idiot farm..
I agree, as I'm imitating you.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

..... Even now if people speak out against the gay agenda, they back peddle in fear of losing their popularity.........
Yep! Just the same as when you start spouting off that you hate Jews, or blacks, or other minorities and want to deny them an equal place in society.

Funny how promoting bigotry and hatred makes one less popular.

It's soooo unfair!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 121 - 140 of17,568
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••