Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 Full story: NBC Chicago 17,562

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Full Story

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#14728 Dec 18, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>so why must she be judgmental and assume that these two men who loved each other simply must also be engaging in sexual activity?
Because she's a bigot. Non bigots don't make assumptions about other people's sexual activity...married or not married.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
"the event didn't show up..." but they sure asked her to go to the site of the event and have a part in the event and thereby be associated with the event.
They did? Please cite the article where she was asked to go to the site of the event and where she (not her flowers) was asked to be part of the event. Lay it out for us Barry.

Hurry, we're waiting.(Please note we'll add this to the list of all your other lies)

Location hidden

#14729 Dec 18, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>you are such a classy person.
Yes I am. That's why I don't pretend that some discrimination is justifiable, and that discrimination has a positive effect on society. You are on the other hand do, Because you're a bigot. Bigotry isn't classy. Go try your condescension routine on someone else hon. You're beneath me so it its wasted here.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
you really don't care much about freedom either do you?
I care deeply about freedom. What I don't care about are false senses of entitlement like you and your bigot florist like to pretend exist.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
and my ilk that is my family has given their lives defending and protecting women and racial minorities in this country and in other lands. so don't lump me into your general hate group. just hate me for who i personally am.
I lump you with all bigots. I lump you with all people that think there are justifiable discriminations. I lump you with all people that think they can discriminate and pretend that their religion excuses it. Defending racial minorities doesn't excuse discrimination to other sects of society. Trying to use it as a way of painting your family as better people isn't working. Discrimination is discrimination, regardless of its victim.

You're a bigot.

Location hidden

#14730 Dec 18, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>oh, i guess it would be alright with you if we were just closet Christians. however if one is a Christian it is because we realize that there is a God who hates sin and will judge sin. therefore we will try not to be associated with sin.
Bullshyt. If your god will judge sin, then you and bigot Baronelle aren't required to. And making floral arrangements doesn't make Bigot Baronelle some how more involved with a couple's sex. Keep spinning Barry, you're too funny..... and still VERY desperate to excuse Baronelle's discrimination. It says much about your character.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
now if we really believe that and if we really are a people of love
Let's be clear.... I don't thing YOU are a person of love. People of love don't believe in justifiable discriminations. People of love don't deceitfully lie.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
would we not then warn you personally about what we feel God calls sin and what he will judge?
People of love don't force their religious opinions onto others. It's disrespectful. And people of love don't use their religious convictions as an excuse to discriminate their public services.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
so you want us to be tolerant but really do not want us to love you.
Blow this horseshyt out your ass. We want operators of public businesses to treat all their customers equally.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
however while you demand tolerance you can not yourself be tolerant.
Oh, here we go, the "Christian persecution" card. Like that's not tired and lame. Tolerance shouldn't have to be demanded, only bigots think that way. Tolerance should be extended because its the right thing to do, at least actual loving people think so.

And exactly where is my intolerance Barry? Did I ask Baronelle to change her religious views? Did the couple that wanted to have her make flowers? Did I tell Baronelle that I wouldn't hire her because of her religious beliefs? Did the couple? Was Baronelle informed that she would no longer be able to practice her faith? Please provide some specifics to exemplify this intolerance you accuse.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
while you see us as unloving you can not see that you yourself are very unloving.
Pffffffff. Employing a public florist has nothing to do with love. Her religious beliefs are NOT part of her business, and they never should have been offered. They are irrelevant to her business. They were NOT solicited.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
so i ask you, how can a Christian be a florist if you will insist that they must do business and be associated with an event that they feel is sin and condemned by God? they wouldn't be much of a Christian now would they.
Gee, I know many Christians that would make floral arrangements for all their customers equally. Only bigots feel their religious convictions are an excuse to discriminate against certain people.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#14731 Dec 18, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
They must be doing it in the closet. I have yet to see anything effective.
Hundreds support Jack Phillips who refused to make gay couple’s wedding cake

http://www.examiner.com/article/hundreds-supp...

Location hidden

#14732 Dec 18, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>specifics? you or someone on your side insisted that the "wedding" was a private event. yet you all also insist that she is a public business. so while you all scream that society must stay out of your private lives you are insisting that she have a part in their private event.
SHE was not part of the event. She was NEVER asked to be part of the event. Neither was the person who cleaned the floor, nor was the person that provided the cake, nor was the person that made the food. NONE of these people were part of the event. She was asked to bake flowers, and because she's a bigot, she felt it was appropriate to have an opinion about how and where the flowers would be placed.

barry wrote:
<quoted text>
well maybe next time she will accept the invitation to service the event and then choose to exercise her right to free speech and tell everyone just exactly how she feels about the event.
it has always been the event or ceremony as you say and she would equally decline to provide flowers for a legal union of two straight me or two straight women that could by washington law be recognized as a legal marriage.
yawn.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
now as to you questioning why a muslim florist might not provide flowers either.... or suggesting that they would ask a muslim florist.... you're not up on world events too much are you?
I didn't bring up Muslim florists, YOU did. You made an accusation about Muslims florists and I asked you to support it. As always, you failed to support it so now you just throw out a bigoted stereotype comment about Muslims. Good to know it's not just the gays you don't like.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#14733 Dec 18, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
...Blow this horseshyt out your ass. We want operators of public businesses to treat all their customers equally...Gee, I know many Christians that would make floral arrangements for all their customers equally. Only bigots feel their religious convictions are an excuse to discriminate against certain people.
No, we want operators of public businesses to treat their customers as they choose, freedom over government regulated equality. Freedom not to be sued for refusing to help celebrate same sex marriage. Change the laws, they harm more than they help.

Location hidden

#14734 Dec 18, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>oh, i guess then there are no "gay" bars, clubs or discos, no "gay" chat rooms, no such thing as "the gay community", no "gay" student centers, no "gay" pride
http://www.gayalabama.com/gay_bars_clubs.html
gaylife.about.com
i guess you better inform these guys that they are not needed.
Why should I inform these guys that they are not needed? What do these have to do with establishing a gay lifestyle? Oh, that's right, absolutely NOTHING.

Damn you are stupid.

life·style
the habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, economic level, etc., THAT TOGETHER constitute the mode of living of an individual or group.

Gays do not mutually share the same habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, economic levels, etc. Gays do not share a mode of living. Yes, some gays go to gay bars. Just like some straights go to straight bars. That does not establish a mode of living that is then somehow a "heterosexual lifestyle".

As I said before, this is nothing more than a religiously fabricated talking point. And you going directly to "gay bars" exemplifies your bigoted stereotyping.

Guess you better try again, cause you failed to support your rhetoric. Know why? Because you are completely uneducated about all things gay. Your a fundie parrot who hasn't taken the time to educate himself.

Location hidden

#14735 Dec 18, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
so what made this wedding different? oh, now you admit that there is a difference in weddings, it was a wedding between two men not a man and a women. clearly she would decline to serve a wedding between two women also. so there is no discrimination.
I made no admittance Barry, I asked you a question. A question isn't admittance.

Your denial that discrimination took place says much about you.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
I also noticed that you did not claim that she said anything about their homosexuality, because she didn't.
She didn't have to. Her intentions were quite clear. Only fundie hypocrites like yourself are pretending she didn't discriminate. Oh wait, or is it that she did discriminate, but this is one of the justifiable discriminations you talk about? Who knows with you and your moving goal post.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
i also noticed that you did not claim that she she condemned them or tried to stop them, because she didn't.
You seem to be under the impression that condemnation would be required in order to label her actions discriminatory. You would be wrong. her refusal of service was discrimination, regardless of how many reasons you want to present as an excuse. She treated these customers differently. And her actions were against the law.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#14736 Dec 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, we want operators of public businesses to treat their customers as they choose, freedom over government regulated equality. Freedom not to be sued for refusing to help celebrate same sex marriage. Change the laws, they harm more than they help.
Does this notion of yours apply regardless of all the suspect classifications under the law, or are random acts of acts of discrimination in the public square going to be limited by one or more of the currently existing suspect classifications, even if the business owner claims God approves of his actions? Is it only the sexual orientation provisions of the law you can give God's finger to, or can you do it on the basis of race, religion, etc? Can it be any deity who excuses your actions, or is this a right for Evangelical Christians only?

Location hidden

#14737 Dec 18, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
however if you don't recognize the reality and the necessity of discrimination then you live with your head in the sand.
Oh, this should be good. Batter up folks, Barry is going to explain why discrimination is beneficial for society!!!!
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
we hopefully discriminate and prevent young people from doing a lot of things.
Wow, that was completely non descript and void of any meaning. Give an example please.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
we also allow women but not the men to play basket ball with a smaller ball and to throw lighter implements in the olympics.
That's not an example of discrimination Barry. The same rules and items apply to everyone that is in competition with each other. That's not discrimination.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
we demand that sexual predators be labeled.
That's not an example of discrimination. A behavior that causes harm to society is treated the same for everyone that exhibits the behavior. That isn't discrimination.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
some states don't allow felons to vote.
That's not an example of discrimination Barry. The felon had the right to vote before breaking the law. Once he broke the law, a rule was applied to him equally as it is everyone that broke the same law. That isn't an example of discrimination.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
and we don't have to rent our homes to smokers.
That's not an example of discrimination Barry. People renting their homes can establish any rules they wish. As long as the rules are applied equally to everyone, there is no discrimination.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
nor do we have to hire someone with a criminal record.
That's not example of discrimination Barry. Intentionally not hiring someone with a criminal record, because of their criminal record, would be an example of discrimination Barry. How would this discrimination benefit society? Specifics.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
we prevent short people from riding certain rides at the amusement parks.
The hieght requirement is established for safety reasons and the height requirement is applied to everyone equally. That isn't a form of discrimination.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
i certainly am not likely hire a person who comes to a job interview with his pants hanging down around his knees.
That's your prerogative. Provided you NEVER hire someone that comes to a job interview with his pants hanging down to his knees, you've not discriminated.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
and the list goes on.
And the list didn't include one form of discrimination. Nor did your post in anyway demonstrate how discrimination can be beneficial for society. Your post was an epic fail, and waste of space.

Location hidden

#14738 Dec 18, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>she simply doesn't assume anything. that is not for her to judge. but a marriage/wedding makes a statement that can be judged.
NO, it doesn't.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14739 Dec 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Hundreds support Jack Phillips who refused to make gay couple’s wedding cake
http://www.examiner.com/article/hundreds-supp...
Thousands of people supported Hitler also.

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#14740 Dec 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Does this notion of yours apply regardless of all the suspect classifications under the law, or are random acts of acts of discrimination in the public square going to be limited by one or more of the currently existing suspect classifications, even if the business owner claims God approves of his actions? Is it only the sexual orientation provisions of the law you can give God's finger to, or can you do it on the basis of race, religion, etc? Can it be any deity who excuses your actions, or is this a right for Evangelical Christians only?
Good questions......but I hope you AREN'T expecting ANY answers by those who believe that these business owners have the right based solely on their religious beliefs!!!

Since: Jan 10

Westerville, OH

#14742 Dec 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Does this notion of yours apply regardless of all the suspect classifications under the law, or are random acts of acts of discrimination in the public square going to be limited by one or more of the currently existing suspect classifications, even if the business owner claims God approves of his actions? Is it only the sexual orientation provisions of the law you can give God's finger to, or can you do it on the basis of race, religion, etc? Can it be any deity who excuses your actions, or is this a right for Evangelical Christians only?
Excellent questions, these arrogant entitled mental midgets are always ready and willing to repeal (or not repeal) laws that they believe don’t impact them personally. But, when they’re directly impacted they squeal like the pigs that they are. Example: What if Wal-Mart refused to serve overweight un-bathed white shoppers? I know they’d go out of business (roflmao), but, can you hear them whining and see their triple chins flapping and crying if it did happen. I don’t expect to read a reasoned response to your post.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#14743 Dec 19, 2013
Sexual orientation has nothing to do with race; stopping same sex couples from suing Christians who don't want to support a same sex wedding is within our rights to religious freedom.

If you want the freedom to attend a same sex wedding then you have to give others the freedom not to attend too. Sajme sex marrriage is bad because this is about forcing people to celebrate homosexuality, not freedom.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#14744 Dec 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Sexual orientation has nothing to do with race; stopping same sex couples from suing Christians who don't want to support a same sex wedding is within our rights to religious freedom.
No one ever said sexual orientation has anything to do with race, it is however a suspect classification of its own in a number of states and municipalities and there the compelling interest of the government is to prevent even self-professed Christians from practicing random acts of discrimination in the public square.
[QUOTE who="Brian_G"If you want the freedom to attend a same sex wedding then you have to give others the freedom not to attend too. Sajme sex marrriage is bad because this is about forcing people to celebrate homosexuality, not freedom.[/QUOTE]If a business wants to be in the wedding business in states which prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, they have a choice, either they don't discriminate, get out of the wedding business altogether, or discriminate and face the consequences of their illegal acts. They have freedom of choice, however their choices are limited. It is really that simple.
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

#14745 Dec 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
If you want the freedom to attend a same sex wedding then you have to give others the freedom not to attend too. Sajme sex marrriage is bad because this is about forcing people to celebrate homosexuality, not freedom.
So your freedom and rights are more important then others????

You religious Nazi pukes sure are pieces of work. What arrogant piles of crap that you think you have the right to force your religion on others lives and take or keep away there civil rights based on a 2000 year old cult book of myth.

MOVE TO IRAN YOU FIT N BETTER TRAITOR.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#14746 Dec 19, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
So your freedom and rights are more important then others????
You religious Nazi pukes sure are pieces of work. What arrogant piles of crap that you think you have the right to force your religion on others lives and take or keep away there civil rights based on a 2000 year old cult book of myth.
MOVE TO IRAN YOU FIT N BETTER TRAITOR.
Commie chooch.
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

#14748 Dec 19, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Commie chooch.
LOL ok lie on fool.

I am a Libertarian and a REAL TRUE Conservative. I stand for freedom and equality and justice for all. I stand for much smaller government and not only balanced budget but pay down debt. I stand for all things Conservative. I just don't buy the fascist crap you Nazi type try to inject by wanting the USA to be a theocracy.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#14749 Dec 19, 2013
I'm not interested in Ricky's suspect classifications or court judgement based on sympathy for an oppressed victim group instead of applying law impartially based on precedent.

Same sex marriage came to America by a court order with no precedent. It was flawed at the start and there's been no improvement.

Philip Robertson answered an interview question, many of us would have answered the same way. Down with those who would shut us up. Up with freedom and Duck Dynasty!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 min Mother Superior 51,368
Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 19 min WeTheSheeple 1,142
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 21 min KiMare 29,855
Is Jeb Bush 'evolving' on same-sex marriage and... 40 min WeTheSheeple 222
Tea Party Darling Ben Carson Says Prisoners Pro... 46 min Nutters Compass 1
LaToya Jackson reveals she's no longer engaged ... 1 hr Octopus 24
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 4 hr The Real Karen 666
More from around the web