Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#14737 Dec 18, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
however if you don't recognize the reality and the necessity of discrimination then you live with your head in the sand.
Oh, this should be good. Batter up folks, Barry is going to explain why discrimination is beneficial for society!!!!
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
we hopefully discriminate and prevent young people from doing a lot of things.
Wow, that was completely non descript and void of any meaning. Give an example please.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
we also allow women but not the men to play basket ball with a smaller ball and to throw lighter implements in the olympics.
That's not an example of discrimination Barry. The same rules and items apply to everyone that is in competition with each other. That's not discrimination.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
we demand that sexual predators be labeled.
That's not an example of discrimination. A behavior that causes harm to society is treated the same for everyone that exhibits the behavior. That isn't discrimination.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
some states don't allow felons to vote.
That's not an example of discrimination Barry. The felon had the right to vote before breaking the law. Once he broke the law, a rule was applied to him equally as it is everyone that broke the same law. That isn't an example of discrimination.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
and we don't have to rent our homes to smokers.
That's not an example of discrimination Barry. People renting their homes can establish any rules they wish. As long as the rules are applied equally to everyone, there is no discrimination.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
nor do we have to hire someone with a criminal record.
That's not example of discrimination Barry. Intentionally not hiring someone with a criminal record, because of their criminal record, would be an example of discrimination Barry. How would this discrimination benefit society? Specifics.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
we prevent short people from riding certain rides at the amusement parks.
The hieght requirement is established for safety reasons and the height requirement is applied to everyone equally. That isn't a form of discrimination.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
i certainly am not likely hire a person who comes to a job interview with his pants hanging down around his knees.
That's your prerogative. Provided you NEVER hire someone that comes to a job interview with his pants hanging down to his knees, you've not discriminated.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
and the list goes on.
And the list didn't include one form of discrimination. Nor did your post in anyway demonstrate how discrimination can be beneficial for society. Your post was an epic fail, and waste of space.

Location hidden

#14738 Dec 18, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>she simply doesn't assume anything. that is not for her to judge. but a marriage/wedding makes a statement that can be judged.
NO, it doesn't.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14739 Dec 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Hundreds support Jack Phillips who refused to make gay couple’s wedding cake
http://www.examiner.com/article/hundreds-supp...
Thousands of people supported Hitler also.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#14740 Dec 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Does this notion of yours apply regardless of all the suspect classifications under the law, or are random acts of acts of discrimination in the public square going to be limited by one or more of the currently existing suspect classifications, even if the business owner claims God approves of his actions? Is it only the sexual orientation provisions of the law you can give God's finger to, or can you do it on the basis of race, religion, etc? Can it be any deity who excuses your actions, or is this a right for Evangelical Christians only?
Good questions......but I hope you AREN'T expecting ANY answers by those who believe that these business owners have the right based solely on their religious beliefs!!!

Since: Jan 10

Westerville, OH

#14742 Dec 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Does this notion of yours apply regardless of all the suspect classifications under the law, or are random acts of acts of discrimination in the public square going to be limited by one or more of the currently existing suspect classifications, even if the business owner claims God approves of his actions? Is it only the sexual orientation provisions of the law you can give God's finger to, or can you do it on the basis of race, religion, etc? Can it be any deity who excuses your actions, or is this a right for Evangelical Christians only?
Excellent questions, these arrogant entitled mental midgets are always ready and willing to repeal (or not repeal) laws that they believe don’t impact them personally. But, when they’re directly impacted they squeal like the pigs that they are. Example: What if Wal-Mart refused to serve overweight un-bathed white shoppers? I know they’d go out of business (roflmao), but, can you hear them whining and see their triple chins flapping and crying if it did happen. I don’t expect to read a reasoned response to your post.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#14743 Dec 19, 2013
Sexual orientation has nothing to do with race; stopping same sex couples from suing Christians who don't want to support a same sex wedding is within our rights to religious freedom.

If you want the freedom to attend a same sex wedding then you have to give others the freedom not to attend too. Sajme sex marrriage is bad because this is about forcing people to celebrate homosexuality, not freedom.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#14744 Dec 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Sexual orientation has nothing to do with race; stopping same sex couples from suing Christians who don't want to support a same sex wedding is within our rights to religious freedom.
No one ever said sexual orientation has anything to do with race, it is however a suspect classification of its own in a number of states and municipalities and there the compelling interest of the government is to prevent even self-professed Christians from practicing random acts of discrimination in the public square.
[QUOTE who="Brian_G"If you want the freedom to attend a same sex wedding then you have to give others the freedom not to attend too. Sajme sex marrriage is bad because this is about forcing people to celebrate homosexuality, not freedom.[/QUOTE]If a business wants to be in the wedding business in states which prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, they have a choice, either they don't discriminate, get out of the wedding business altogether, or discriminate and face the consequences of their illegal acts. They have freedom of choice, however their choices are limited. It is really that simple.
cancer suxs

Faribault, MN

#14745 Dec 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
If you want the freedom to attend a same sex wedding then you have to give others the freedom not to attend too. Sajme sex marrriage is bad because this is about forcing people to celebrate homosexuality, not freedom.
So your freedom and rights are more important then others????

You religious Nazi pukes sure are pieces of work. What arrogant piles of crap that you think you have the right to force your religion on others lives and take or keep away there civil rights based on a 2000 year old cult book of myth.

MOVE TO IRAN YOU FIT N BETTER TRAITOR.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#14746 Dec 19, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
You religious Nazi pukes sure are pieces of work. What arrogant piles of crap that you think you have the right to force your religion on others lives and take or keep away there civil rights based on a 2000 year old cult book of myth.
MOVE TO IRAN YOU FIT N BETTER TRAITOR.
Commie chooch.
cancer suxs

Faribault, MN

#14748 Dec 19, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Commie chooch.
LOL ok lie on fool.

I am a Libertarian and a REAL TRUE Conservative. I stand for freedom and equality and justice for all. I stand for much smaller government and not only balanced budget but pay down debt. I stand for all things Conservative. I just don't buy the fascist crap you Nazi type try to inject by wanting the USA to be a theocracy.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#14749 Dec 19, 2013
I'm not interested in Ricky's suspect classifications or court judgement based on sympathy for an oppressed victim group instead of applying law impartially based on precedent.

Same sex marriage came to America by a court order with no precedent. It was flawed at the start and there's been no improvement.

Philip Robertson answered an interview question, many of us would have answered the same way. Down with those who would shut us up. Up with freedom and Duck Dynasty!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#14750 Dec 19, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
You religious Nazi pukes sure are pieces of work. What arrogant piles of crap that you think you have the right to force your religion on others lives and take or keep away there civil rights based on a 2000 year old cult book of myth. MOVE TO IRAN YOU FIT N BETTER TRAITOR.
^The above quote has many untruths. Everyone's freedom and rights are important, Philip Robertson's right to work is more important than A&E's pandering to the LGBT community and shutting up political speech.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#14751 Dec 19, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
Thousands of people supported Hitler also.
And I'm not interested in W.W.'s idols. Let's discuss issues, not irrational arguments.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#14752 Dec 19, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
...If a business wants to be in the wedding business in states which prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, they have a choice, either they don't discriminate, get out of the wedding business altogether, or discriminate and face the consequences of their illegal acts. They have freedom of choice, however their choices are limited. It is really that simple.
^^^This is where Ricky would take away the livelihood of political opponents, to deny them the right to commerce and to feed their families. This is why I oppose same sex marriage, compelling Christians to celebrate homosexuality is just plain wrong.

Phil Robertson and the Pope essentially agree, homosexual behavior is sin. They have the right to speak, down with oppression, locking out employees for political speech.
cancer suxs

Faribault, MN

#14753 Dec 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^The above quote has many untruths. Everyone's freedom and rights are important, Philip Robertson's right to work is more important than A&E's pandering to the LGBT community and shutting up political speech.
It was 100% fact to WE THE PEOPLE...I know to you Nazi traitors it was not. But hey your kind gets your info at your cult house of worship or at your KKK meetings or from rich limturder...SO YA....

So Phils rights are more important then who employs him??

Wow on other topic you said the baker had every right to deny service to gay couple. Now you say a company cant suspend who they want.....WHAT IS IT FOOL...

Your side is losing...LIKE THROUGH HISTORY YOUR SIDE ALWAYS HAS ----RIGHT ADOLPH..........

Location hidden

#14754 Dec 19, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>where did she say that "gays have no business being married"? you made that up how convenient.
Did I say that she said this? Nope, I sure didn't, but don't let that get in the way of you accusing me of it anyway. You fundies lie about everything.

In your zeal to defend Bigot Baronelle, you obviously turned off your comprehension switch. Read the post again. It was directed to your buddy Wondering. Another fundie bigot like yourself. HE (or she) made the statement. Exactly as I stated in my post. If you would like to see the original post, it is number 13611.

At least Wondering can be honest about why Bigot Baronelle refused her services.

Location hidden

#14755 Dec 19, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>i noticed that even your side is not supporting you on this one.
Can you demonstrate where "my side" is NOT supporting me on this one? Of course you can't. Just like you can't demonstrate how you are personally affected by the matter.

You mistake a lack of posts about this from my side as lack of support. It isn't. The lack of posts from my side indicate that my side has no interested in beating a dead horse like you do Barry.

Let us know when you can demonstrate how you are personally affected, ok hon?
barry wrote:
boys playing on a girls team is not only dangerous to the girls, it is an unfair advantage for the team that has the boys who might claim they think they are girls. in the end it will damage girls sports.
Again, as noted previously, let us know when you can demonstrate this "danger" and "damage". Until then, STFU Barry. Your imaginary slippery slope bullshyt is tired.

Location hidden

#14756 Dec 19, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>you should stick to what you think you know about instead of asking for something everyone knows is true to be proven. boys claiming to really be girls and given the right to play on a girls team is not safe for the girls and is not fair for the competition. it is obvious that you could care less about the real girls and are seriouisly blinded by your agenda.
Dead horse. The law passed, and you aren't affected in anyway and your "dangers" are in your head and no where else.
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
and yes discrimination is good for society at the right times.
And yet you are completely unable to demonstrate a discrimination that society has benefited from.

Only a bigot would state that discrimination is a good thing.

Location hidden

#14757 Dec 19, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>you're sick.
I'm sick? I'm not the one claiming that some discriminations are justified. THAT is sick bigot.

Location hidden

#14758 Dec 19, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>my hang ups with the genitalia are connected to the related bone structure, hormone makeup and the resulting speed, strength and endurance advantage that can not be equalized without physically tampering with the body.
the fact is that the example of my son is real. he didn't even qualify for an athletic scholarship for college but there still was not a single hs or college girl that could have beaten him.
Because of bigots like you, the law in California was created. It will be duplicated throughout the country. All those future transgendered children thank you for your bigotry. You have assisted them tremendously.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr mentor 1 5,588
News Will Islam Inherit the Earth? 1 hr Rabbeen Al Jihad 181
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 12 hr Retired teacher 31,984
News Lesbian Methodist bishop faces challenge to her... 13 hr Elizabeth1912 1
News What to Watch: a JonBenet,a a Rodney King,a a E... Mon KCinNYC 1
News 'This is the Trump era': Sessions takes aim at ... Mon slick willie expl... 4
News Trump's polarizing policies push some to greate... Apr 21 Member 7
More from around the web