Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 Full story: NBC Chicago 17,562

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Read more

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#14213 Dec 3, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that if gay couples are prevented from MARRYING,
Or having their relationship designated, "marriage", by the state.
that this also means they will be prevented from PARENTING?
Lots of folks parent, not just gay people.
Or from raising children at all?
Ditto
You sound very much like you DO NOT WANT a gay couple raising a child.
Proving a home for a child who has none, is admirable, regardless of who does it. Creating a child in such a way as to intentionally deprive him/her of his/her biological mother and father, raises ethical issues.
But stopping that couple from establishing a legal bond between the two of them will NOT stop them from caring for a child or guiding to to adulthod.
Okay. Does everyone one raising a child need a "legal bond" with another adult, in order to do so?
This need of yours for fathers and mothers to "matter" (even though they never stopped) is not enough to prevent gay couples from marrying.
How about the needs of the children? Does that not matter! Why should an adults need to create a child over ride the need of the child to be created, know, and raised by their biological mother and father?

http://www.anonymousfathersday.com/about/

About Anonymous Fatherís Day

Thousands of donor-conceived people have a deep longing to know who they belong to, where they come from, and who they look like. What is it like to grow up not knowing who your biological father is or if you have any siblings? What is it like to find out that the man you thought was your dad is not your biological father, that your true biological father donated his sperm and is known only by a number? How does it impact your self-perception, the choices you make, and your view of life and the world? Donor-conceived people are demanding answers to these basic questions about their origins, their lives, and their identities.

From The Center for Bioethics and Culture, producers of Lines That Divide (2009) and the award-winning Eggsploitation (2010), Anonymous Fatherís Day explores the stories of women and men who are the children of sperm donors.
If this "mattering" is so important to you, then you should oppose adoption,
No, there are situations where the bio parents, cannot, nor will not, raise their children, so adoption meets a valid need.
fostering, step-families, single parenting AND divorce.
Again, there are situations in which the bio parents are unable, or unwilling to raise their children. Not the ideal. Far cry from intentionally denying a child his/her bio parents, in order to fulfill an adult need.
You should oppose these things to their very core, on both a legal and ethical basis.
Why are you opposed to children knowing, and being raised by their bio parents if at all possible?
It's not enough to just say that you think they aren't "ideal", yet should be allowed. Unless you oppose them with the exact same conviction and the exact same effort that you oppose gay couples marrying, then I'm afraid that it is just you who is bigoted.
No, sounds like the bigotry is coming from your end. You only cite those situations to justify redefining marriage. That if we don't redefine marriage, just to include same sex relationships, it's "bigotry".
Without the same opposition every step of the way, you simply reveal that it is only gay couples that you want to see disenfranchised and denied their rights.
"Gay couples", as individuals, have the same right as everyone else. You simply want to ignore that, as a means of justifying redefining marriage for your desires, and no one else's.
If you don't care that gay couples RAISE children, so long as we cannot establish a legal bond, then you don't really care about the children, only the gays.
Sister Wives.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#14215 Dec 3, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I seriously fear YOUR bigotry, is blatantly showing here. Your obvious contempt for the biological connection between children and their mother and father, speaks volumes.
<quoted text>
Nor yours.
<quoted text>
Your bigotry is screaming, "but fathers and mothers don't matter". That they should be reduced to nothing more than genetic materials. Somehow you get to decide for children, "sorry, it matters not how you were created, as long as the adults are happy, your biological connection means nothing to me, and my political beliefs". Contrary to your opinion, children do care how they were created.
http://anonymousus.org/about/index.php#.Up5JW...
<quoted text>
So don't.
<quoted text>
Nor would Muslim man living next door with his four wives.
<quoted text>
Wonderful, and your point?
<quoted text>
Sigh.....ya blew right past my points, and went right to the "you're a bigot", in an attempt to shut Dow the discussion, and anyone who disagrees with you. Oh I "got it", you're just using the "bigot" charge to hide your own.
Your hysterical exaggerations are not an answer, your trivializing the florist's illegal actions don't pass muster and the pot trying to call the kettle black is no more an answer than any of your other tactics.

If you ever consider serious debate instead of mere wordplay, be sure and let me know.

You could show me a law (not an opinion) that supports the florist's actions.

You could explain why one legal marriage is worth her business but another is not.

You could also read up on the Civil Rights Movement in this country's very recent history and try to figure out why Equality is growing still today and why you and your pals are still losing the fight to keep oppression alive.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#14216 Dec 3, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Your hysterical exaggerations are not an answer, your trivializing the florist's illegal actions don't pass muster and the pot trying to call the kettle black is no more an answer than any of your other tactics.
If you ever consider serious debate instead of mere wordplay, be sure and let me know.
You could show me a law (not an opinion) that supports the florist's actions.
You could explain why one legal marriage is worth her business but another is not.
You could also read up on the Civil Rights Movement in this country's very recent history and try to figure out why Equality is growing still today and why you and your pals are still losing the fight to keep oppression alive.
Florist? Which post are you responding to?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#14217 Dec 4, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
When you pigs discriminate and harm them they must have justice. DISDRIMINATION IS EVIL......Stop it. Or WE THE PEOPLE will stop you.
Discrimination between male and female isn't evil, perhaps forcing government to be blind to male/female differences is evil. Its certainly unconstitutional, the Equal Rights Amendment failed. There is no Constitutional right to gender equality.

Calling political opponents "pigs" is standard for the left. Just like customers who sue instead of finding a more sympathetic vendor; they would force Christians to attend same sex wedding ceremonies with fines and threats of imprisonment.
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

#14218 Dec 4, 2013
When will the church and Christians start fighting for bans on other sins...Like banning greed and gluttony...The church needs to have laws made to make being rich illegal and making being fat punishable by death.COM E ON CHURCHES PASS BANS ON OTHER SINS ALSO.
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

#14219 Dec 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Discrimination between male and female isn't evil, perhaps forcing government to be blind to male/female differences is evil. Its certainly unconstitutional, the Equal Rights Amendment failed. There is no Constitutional right to gender equality.
Calling political opponents "pigs" is standard for the left. Just like customers who sue instead of finding a more sympathetic vendor; they would force Christians to attend same sex wedding ceremonies with fines and threats of imprisonment.
Telling two men they cant marry is discrimination...THAT IS A FACT PIG.

I am not left moron. I am a Libertarian. I am all about freedom equality justice and the CONSTITUTION.

No one will be forced to do anything. So your ok discriminating against gays????????

Do you think it is ok if I own a business and I say loud and clear I wont serve Christians because they are gross to me??????????

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#14220 Dec 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Just like customers who sue instead of finding a more sympathetic vendor; they would force Christians to attend same sex wedding ceremonies with fines and threats of imprisonment.
Tell me something Brian......at what point should someone continue to search for a sympathetic vendor to supply anything for their wedding? According to you......a Gay or Lesbian Couple should give folks like this woman a pass.......until when? Would you search for a sympathetic vendor if someone denied you a service based on your race? Maybe your gender? See, it's easy to say just find another vendor, but what IF another vendor does the same thing......how many will YOU be willing to search before you say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH? My guess is you wouldn't like it and you'd be screaming all over the place.......remember, what you advocate for may just come back to bite you in the azz one day!!!!

Whether you think this couple should have gone looking for another florist is IRRELEVANT, the fact is this florist VIOLATED anti-discrimination policies in her state and she is the ONE who opted to invoke her religious beliefs thinking somehow they were ABOVE THE POLICIES and there NOT!!!

My guess is she will lose and if she doesn't.....then ANYONE who invokes their religious beliefs will be allowed to LEGALLY discriminate and that would set this Country back a 100 years......because whose to say that one's religious beliefs won't be used to discriminate against a person's skin color or perceived skin color, gender, religious beliefs or affiliation and so forth and so forth.......when would it end?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14221 Dec 4, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text> ... Your bigotry is screaming, "but fathers and mothers don't matter". That they should be reduced to nothing more than genetic materials....
That's all they are ... "genetic materials".

It's PARENTING that matters.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/besto...
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

#14222 Dec 4, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me something Brian......at what point should someone continue to search for a sympathetic vendor to supply anything for their wedding? According to you......a Gay or Lesbian Couple should give folks like this woman a pass.......until when? Would you search for a sympathetic vendor if someone denied you a service based on your race? Maybe your gender? See, it's easy to say just find another vendor, but what IF another vendor does the same thing......how many will YOU be willing to search before you say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH? My guess is you wouldn't like it and you'd be screaming all over the place.......remember, what you advocate for may just come back to bite you in the azz one day!!!!
Whether you think this couple should have gone looking for another florist is IRRELEVANT, the fact is this florist VIOLATED anti-discrimination policies in her state and she is the ONE who opted to invoke her religious beliefs thinking somehow they were ABOVE THE POLICIES and there NOT!!!
My guess is she will lose and if she doesn't.....then ANYONE who invokes their religious beliefs will be allowed to LEGALLY discriminate and that would set this Country back a 100 years......because whose to say that one's religious beliefs won't be used to discriminate against a person's skin color or perceived skin color, gender, religious beliefs or affiliation and so forth and so forth.......when would it end?
Far right does not understand. For one week would like if every business in USA would say NO CHRISTIANS ALLOWED. Let them see what it is like.

“Electronic graffiti”

Since: Jun 13

Camp Cove

#14223 Dec 4, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
Far right does not understand. For one week would like if every business in USA would say NO CHRISTIANS ALLOWED. Let them see what it is like.
LOLOL!

Now that I would like to see.

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#14224 Dec 4, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
The far right STILL would NOT understand simply because they DON'T want to.....but if this florist should win, they better be prepared to get a strong does of their own medicine......sort of like what happened with Affirmative Action......white, conservative Christian males DIDN'T like being treated the way they had treated women and other minorities over the years......little by little they complained until there was NO longer any real meaning to Affirmative Action......but in cases like this......these folks seem to think it is okay to invoke whatever means they feel justifies their animus towards those who are NOT exactly like themselves forgetting that we live in a very DIVERSIFIED society!!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#14225 Dec 4, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
When will the church and Christians start fighting for bans on other sins...Like banning greed and gluttony...The church needs to have laws made to make being rich illegal and making being fat punishable by death.COM E ON CHURCHES PASS BANS ON OTHER SINS ALSO.
Hey Sickofit/TooManyLaws....what's happening. What other monikers did you use again?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#14226 Dec 4, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that what you tell your mother and father, and your children?
By one's own married biological mother and father in a stable home if at all possible.
What does that video have to do with what I posted?

Try this video

http://www.anonymousfathersday.com
Too Many Laws

Schenectady, NY

#14227 Dec 4, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
Telling two men they cant marry is discrimination...THAT IS A FACT PIG.
I am not left moron. I am a Libertarian. I am all about freedom equality justice and the CONSTITUTION.
No one will be forced to do anything. So your ok discriminating against gays????????
Do you think it is ok if I own a business and I say loud and clear I wont serve Christians because they are gross to me??????????
You are a overweight pimple faced 30 something commie still living in his Mom's basement who knows nothing about freedom, equality, and justice.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#14228 Dec 4, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/besto...
Chills the blood....

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#14229 Dec 4, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
By one's own married biological mother and father in a stable home if at all possible.
So do you SUPPORT allowing gay couples to raise children?

Or do you OPPOSE allowing gay couples to raise children?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14230 Dec 4, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Chills the blood....
Nice Christian heterosexual parents huh?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#14231 Dec 4, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice Christian heterosexual parents huh?
I'm afraid so.

Sadistic sickos of the fundamentalist stripe.

“Electronic graffiti”

Since: Jun 13

Camp Cove

#14232 Dec 4, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid so.
Sadistic sickos of the fundamentalist stripe.
It's so sad. I honestly think some poor little kids would be better off if they had never been born.
:-((

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#14233 Dec 5, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
The far right STILL would NOT understand simply because they DON'T want to.....but if this florist should win, they better be prepared to get a strong does of their own medicine......sort of like what happened with Affirmative Action......white, conservative Christian males DIDN'T like being treated the way they had treated women and other minorities over the years......little by little they complained until there was NO longer any real meaning to Affirmative Action......but in cases like this......these folks seem to think it is okay to invoke whatever means they feel justifies their animus towards those who are NOT exactly like themselves forgetting that we live in a very DIVERSIFIED society!!!!
Same sex marriage means sex segregated marriage, loss of affirmative action 1:1 perfect sex diversity and integration for government licensed sex segregation marriage of equal value. That's why it fails popular vote and conservative governance, we want to cherish the institutions of family, marriage and society, not radically redefine them in a way never seen in written law before Y2K.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Religious freedom laws not used against gays in... 7 min serfs up 35
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 7 min The Stupid Ones 1,646
News Kentucky argues gay marriage ban not biased 17 min Fa-Foxy 14
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 29 min Jesus Sheeeria 1,783
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 40 min WasteWater 30,962
News Kentucky argues gay marriage ban not biased 43 min WeTheSheeple 8
News Religious freedom laws not used against gays in... 46 min Jesus Sheeeria 4
More from around the web