Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17556 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#14220 Dec 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Just like customers who sue instead of finding a more sympathetic vendor; they would force Christians to attend same sex wedding ceremonies with fines and threats of imprisonment.
Tell me something Brian......at what point should someone continue to search for a sympathetic vendor to supply anything for their wedding? According to you......a Gay or Lesbian Couple should give folks like this woman a pass.......until when? Would you search for a sympathetic vendor if someone denied you a service based on your race? Maybe your gender? See, it's easy to say just find another vendor, but what IF another vendor does the same thing......how many will YOU be willing to search before you say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH? My guess is you wouldn't like it and you'd be screaming all over the place.......remember, what you advocate for may just come back to bite you in the azz one day!!!!

Whether you think this couple should have gone looking for another florist is IRRELEVANT, the fact is this florist VIOLATED anti-discrimination policies in her state and she is the ONE who opted to invoke her religious beliefs thinking somehow they were ABOVE THE POLICIES and there NOT!!!

My guess is she will lose and if she doesn't.....then ANYONE who invokes their religious beliefs will be allowed to LEGALLY discriminate and that would set this Country back a 100 years......because whose to say that one's religious beliefs won't be used to discriminate against a person's skin color or perceived skin color, gender, religious beliefs or affiliation and so forth and so forth.......when would it end?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14221 Dec 4, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text> ... Your bigotry is screaming, "but fathers and mothers don't matter". That they should be reduced to nothing more than genetic materials....
That's all they are ... "genetic materials".

It's PARENTING that matters.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/besto...
cancer suxs

Faribault, MN

#14222 Dec 4, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me something Brian......at what point should someone continue to search for a sympathetic vendor to supply anything for their wedding? According to you......a Gay or Lesbian Couple should give folks like this woman a pass.......until when? Would you search for a sympathetic vendor if someone denied you a service based on your race? Maybe your gender? See, it's easy to say just find another vendor, but what IF another vendor does the same thing......how many will YOU be willing to search before you say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH? My guess is you wouldn't like it and you'd be screaming all over the place.......remember, what you advocate for may just come back to bite you in the azz one day!!!!
Whether you think this couple should have gone looking for another florist is IRRELEVANT, the fact is this florist VIOLATED anti-discrimination policies in her state and she is the ONE who opted to invoke her religious beliefs thinking somehow they were ABOVE THE POLICIES and there NOT!!!
My guess is she will lose and if she doesn't.....then ANYONE who invokes their religious beliefs will be allowed to LEGALLY discriminate and that would set this Country back a 100 years......because whose to say that one's religious beliefs won't be used to discriminate against a person's skin color or perceived skin color, gender, religious beliefs or affiliation and so forth and so forth.......when would it end?
Far right does not understand. For one week would like if every business in USA would say NO CHRISTIANS ALLOWED. Let them see what it is like.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#14223 Dec 4, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
Far right does not understand. For one week would like if every business in USA would say NO CHRISTIANS ALLOWED. Let them see what it is like.
LOLOL!

Now that I would like to see.

#14224 Dec 4, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
The far right STILL would NOT understand simply because they DON'T want to.....but if this florist should win, they better be prepared to get a strong does of their own medicine......sort of like what happened with Affirmative Action......white, conservative Christian males DIDN'T like being treated the way they had treated women and other minorities over the years......little by little they complained until there was NO longer any real meaning to Affirmative Action......but in cases like this......these folks seem to think it is okay to invoke whatever means they feel justifies their animus towards those who are NOT exactly like themselves forgetting that we live in a very DIVERSIFIED society!!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#14225 Dec 4, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
When will the church and Christians start fighting for bans on other sins...Like banning greed and gluttony...The church needs to have laws made to make being rich illegal and making being fat punishable by death.COM E ON CHURCHES PASS BANS ON OTHER SINS ALSO.
Hey Sickofit/TooManyLaws....what's happening. What other monikers did you use again?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#14226 Dec 4, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that what you tell your mother and father, and your children?
By one's own married biological mother and father in a stable home if at all possible.
What does that video have to do with what I posted?

Try this video

http://www.anonymousfathersday.com
Too Many Laws

Schenectady, NY

#14227 Dec 4, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
Telling two men they cant marry is discrimination...THAT IS A FACT PIG.
I am not left moron. I am a Libertarian. I am all about freedom equality justice and the CONSTITUTION.
No one will be forced to do anything. So your ok discriminating against gays????????
Do you think it is ok if I own a business and I say loud and clear I wont serve Christians because they are gross to me??????????
You are a overweight pimple faced 30 something commie still living in his Mom's basement who knows nothing about freedom, equality, and justice.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#14228 Dec 4, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/besto...
Chills the blood....

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#14229 Dec 4, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
By one's own married biological mother and father in a stable home if at all possible.
So do you SUPPORT allowing gay couples to raise children?

Or do you OPPOSE allowing gay couples to raise children?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14230 Dec 4, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Chills the blood....
Nice Christian heterosexual parents huh?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#14231 Dec 4, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice Christian heterosexual parents huh?
I'm afraid so.

Sadistic sickos of the fundamentalist stripe.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#14232 Dec 4, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid so.
It's so sad. I honestly think some poor little kids would be better off if they had never been born.
:-((

“Headline already in use”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#14233 Dec 5, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
The far right STILL would NOT understand simply because they DON'T want to.....but if this florist should win, they better be prepared to get a strong does of their own medicine......sort of like what happened with Affirmative Action......white, conservative Christian males DIDN'T like being treated the way they had treated women and other minorities over the years......little by little they complained until there was NO longer any real meaning to Affirmative Action......but in cases like this......these folks seem to think it is okay to invoke whatever means they feel justifies their animus towards those who are NOT exactly like themselves forgetting that we live in a very DIVERSIFIED society!!!!
Same sex marriage means sex segregated marriage, loss of affirmative action 1:1 perfect sex diversity and integration for government licensed sex segregation marriage of equal value. That's why it fails popular vote and conservative governance, we want to cherish the institutions of family, marriage and society, not radically redefine them in a way never seen in written law before Y2K.

#14234 Dec 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Same sex marriage means sex segregated marriage, loss of affirmative action 1:1 perfect sex diversity and integration for government licensed sex segregation marriage of equal value. That's why it fails popular vote and conservative governance, we want to cherish the institutions of family, marriage and society, not radically redefine them in a way never seen in written law before Y2K.
Sorry, but Same-Sex Couples getting married or who are married are NOT doing what you claim otherwise you would be using this same argument when whites still ONLY decide to marry another white person or a Black person decides to marry another Black person because according to you, those couples are keeping race segregated as well, right?

You also FAIL to acknowledge that marital rights WON at the ballot box in 2012, so another failed attempt to make a point that is not valid!!!

One does NOT care what you believe should remain regarding marriage......16 States and DC already grant Same-Sex Couples the right to marry.....with more to follow!!!

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#14236 Dec 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Same sex marriage means sex segregated marriage
Voluntary segregation isn't unconstitutional, Brian. Which is why no one cares when two whites, two blacks, two Christians, two Jews, etc. get married.
Brian_G wrote:
loss of affirmative action
Affirmative action relates to groups that have been discriminated against, Brian. In this case, it's gays that have historically been discriminated against and prohibiting same sex marriage merely perpetuates that discrimination. Implementing some sort of affirmative action to correct discrimination against gays would require legal recognition of same sex marriage, not the prohibition of it.
Brian_G wrote:
1:1 perfect sex diversity and integration
Not an issue as there isn't perfect diversity and integration of marriage based on race or religion so none is need for sex either.
Brian_G wrote:
for government licensed sex segregation marriage of equal value.
Indeed, same sex marriage is of equal value to opposite sex marriage, interracial and race segregated marriage and interfaith and segregated faith marriage.
Brian_G wrote:
That's why it fails popular vote
It hasn't lately.
Brian_G wrote:
and conservative governance
Conservative governance would require not sticking your nose into an individuals personal liberty interest and privacy nor interfering in their exercise of a fundamental right that has no compelling government interest to justify restricting it.
Brian_G wrote:
we want to cherish the institutions of family, marriage and society,
Gays are members of society who are members of families like any other citizen and are constitutionally guaranteed their fundamental right of marriage just like you.
Brian_G wrote:
not radically redefine them in a way never seen in written law before Y2K.
Same sex marriage has existed in the past, Brian. Why do you lie?

You simply want to maintain thousands of years of historical discrimination against gays so you can continue to practice your bigotry.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#14237 Dec 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Same sex marriage means sex segregated marriage, loss of affirmative action 1:1 perfect sex diversity and integration for government licensed sex segregation marriage of equal value. That's why it fails popular vote and conservative governance, we want to cherish the institutions of family, marriage and society, not radically redefine them in a way never seen in written law before Y2K.
Don't you ever get tired of pushing the same old barrow, Brian?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14238 Dec 5, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid so.
Yep. Abusive fundy creeps.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#14239 Dec 5, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Abusive fundy creeps.
You may say that I have a convict mentality, but I would like to take to them with the old cat of 9 tails.

“Headline already in use”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#14240 Dec 6, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
...Same sex marriage has existed in the past, Brian. Why do you lie?...
Not in written law before Y2K, else cite any earlier law that licenses same sex marriage. Then, we'll know who's lying and where's the untruth and hatred.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carroll Daybook 2 hr Zuiko 1
News Transgender Ken doll cake triggers outrage afte... 4 hr Wholly Silicon Wafer 26
News Hindu girl weds childhood Muslim friend in Paki... 11 hr Marie-Luise_J 1
News Rizzoli & Isles' introduction of Maura's husban... 17 hr Ex Fan 1
News Gay Republican Iowa Senate Hopeful: I'm Not the... 18 hr Skippy 4
News Greens against gay marriage plebiscite The Gree... 22 hr Rosa_Winkel 8
News Why Does the Church Wink at Divorce but Get So ... Sat Gremlin 10
More from around the web