Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17562 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#12065 Oct 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The fact they did reject serving a same sex wedding proves Quest wrong. Religious and artistic freedom trump PC regulations and forcing Christians to attend same sex wedding ceremonies or any other religious service.
If you love freedom, keep marriage one man and one woman.
How am I wrong? Can a business owner who holds a business license refuse to serve any group he/she dislikes? What groups are included in that? Jews? Catholics? Blacks? Women? Muslims?

Or is it only gay couples?

You might as well say that we need to keep interracial marriage illegal, to protect the religious rights of business owners to discriminate against those couples.

We don't harm a group of hardworking law-abiding Americans, simply to protect those who would illegally discriminate against them based on religion. If you are unhappy with that, I suggest moving to a country that is government by religious law.

But I can tell you that many places under religious law aren't that friendly to Christians, either.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#12066 Oct 31, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
You really DON'T need to copy and paste from the link....
No, but it does help move things along mi amica.
..just post the link and let others decide of they want to read it.......by the way......the word "Lesbian" was first used approximately in the 1800's,
As mentioned in the cut and paste.
but became rather popular in the late 1960's and 70's:
http://lesbianlife.about.com/od/herstory/f/Le...
Yes, during the lesbian feminist phase.

Here's a link for you, on Sappho as a "gay icon".

http://condor.depaul.edu/dsimpson/tlove/sapph...

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12067 Oct 31, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't been paying attention lately......we won at the polls or ballot box big time in 2012:-)
Gays, Lesbians and our supporters understand that being INCLUDED is not a radical social change.....it's the right thing to do because NO AMERICAN CITIZEN SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO MARRY THE PERSON OF THEIR CHOOSING!!!
Yet they are.....after all the Browns are denied that right, as are the Dargers, plus numerous other plural marriage practitioners. So it begs the question, Where is the line drawn, if " NO AMERICAN CITIZEN SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO MARRY THE PERSON OF THEIR CHOOSING!!!"?

“TO HATE SOMEONE SIMPLY FOR WHO”

Since: Aug 08

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#12068 Oct 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>According to NorCal's argument, if a citizen wants to marry someone already married, a close relative or someone below the age of consent; that's their right.
Same sex marriage is so bad that its just the first step toward disaster.
Gee Brian......I didn't say that......but then, you have nothing else, so making false accusations is perfectly okay, right?

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#12069 Oct 31, 2013
ah verkligen wrote:
<quoted text>....except for polygamists, and blood relatives,
...and anyone else gays disagree with, that is....
Awww, did someone not comprehend what was posted?

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#12070 Oct 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but it does help move things along mi amica.
<quoted text>
As mentioned in the cut and paste.
<quoted text>
Yes, during the lesbian feminist phase.
Here's a link for you, on Sappho as a "gay icon".
http://condor.depaul.edu/dsimpson/tlove/sapph...
Sorry, but no thanks......this is your game, you play it!!!

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#12071 Oct 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet they are.....after all the Browns are denied that right, as are the Dargers, plus numerous other plural marriage practitioners. So it begs the question, Where is the line drawn, if " NO AMERICAN CITIZEN SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO MARRY THE PERSON OF THEIR CHOOSING!!!"?
Sorry, but NO they're not......Kody Brown is legally married to one woman and has NOT bothered to fight to marry more than one....all they have done is sued to have the criminal charges removed from what they are doing......again, NOT my fight.......and obviously NOT a fight they actually want to take on either!!!

In fact Pete......YOU are the ONLY one making an issue for polygamy wanting to marry more than one person.........strange how those you claim want to have that right AREN'T the ones actually fighting that fight!!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12072 Oct 31, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee Brian......I didn't say that......but then, you have nothing else, so making false accusations is perfectly okay, right?
NorCal Native wrote:
You haven't been paying attention lately......we won at the polls or ballot box big time in 2012:-)
Gays, Lesbians and our supporters understand that being INCLUDED is not a radical social change.....it's the right thing to do because NO AMERICAN CITIZEN SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO MARRY THE PERSON OF THEIR CHOOSING!!!

Those words all in caps, "NO AMERICAN CITIZEN.....", can included polygamists, who are American citizens as are those who might wish to marry a sibling. If only those other folks didn't exist,..... Sorry Nor Cal, but you don't get to limit the rights of other Americans for their form of marriage, while arguing YOUR form, shouldn't be denied. What's good for the gay goose, is good for the poly gander.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12073 Oct 31, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but NO they're not......Kody Brown is legally married to one woman and has NOT bothered to fight to marry more than one....all they have done is sued to have the criminal charges removed from what they are doing......again, NOT my fight.......and obviously NOT a fight they actually want to take on either!!!
They're still waiting on the outcome of their lawsuit. I know....I know..."not your fight".... But where does it end? Simple question. Should any AMERICAN CITIZEN be allowed to define marriage for themselves, consenting adults only, and have the automatically approve it?
In fact Pete......YOU are the ONLY one making an issue for polygamy wanting to marry more than one person.........strange how those you claim want to have that right AREN'T the ones actually fighting that fight!!!!
Actually, others, including polygamists themselves, have raised the issue. What's puzzling is the hostility exhibited towards polygamists by some SSM advocates. Why? Are they crashing the "Big Fat Gay Wedding"? Stealing the spotlight? Why not embrace them, after all your cause is their cause too. No matter how much you try to distance themselves, both SSM and consensual polygamy are birds of a feather....strange bedfellows.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56515337-78...

Polygamists and their supporters celebrated Wednesday, saying they see implications for their cause in the Supreme Court's ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act.

Just hours after the court ruled that DOMA was unconstitutional, Joe Darger said he and his family were pleased. Darger, who with his three wives detailed their life in the book "Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage," said the ruling should help remedy polygamists' treatment as "second-class citizens."

"The government," he said, "can't single out a single class of people for favorable or unfavorable treatment."

Darger added that he believes the decision also will influence the high-profile Brown case, which is pending in Utah before federal Judge Clark Waddoups. In that case, the polygamous Brown family — which is well known from the TV show "Sister Wives" — is suing to strike down the statute that makes bigamy a third-degree felony.

Darger speculated that Waddoups was waiting for the Supreme Court's ruling to make a decision in the case. In light of DOMA's demise, Darger said, he expects a favorable ruling for the Browns and practitioners of plural marriage.

"This gives Waddoups all the ammunition he needs," Darger added.

Lawyers from the Utah attorney general's office, which is defending the state against the Browns, did not return calls seeking comment Wednesday. Assistant Attorney General Jerrold Jensen argued in a January hearing that polygamy should remain a criminal offense because practitioners use the word "marriage" to describe their relationships. Jensen also said polygamy is replete with examples of abuse and that every state has laws making it illegal.

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#12074 Oct 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
If only those other folks didn't exist,..... Sorry Nor Cal, but you don't get to limit the rights of other Americans for their form of marriage, while arguing YOUR form, shouldn't be denied. What's good for the gay goose, is good for the poly gander.
I'm NOT limiting their right to form other marriages......THE STATE MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS are, nor am I making laws to deny them the right to marry in general.......you and folks like you are seriously LIMITING the rights of Gay and Lesbian couples to marry and claim that if it is on the ballot it is CONSTITUTIONAL to do so........you might want to check your own voting status before telling another about theirs!!!

I have ALWAYS stated that if those who want to marry more than 1 other person, or who want to marry a blood relative NEED to step up and fight for their right to do so.....IT IS NOT my fight and I have NOT set out to deny them their right to marry.

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#12075 Oct 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Sorry, but the ruling from SCOTUS isn't going to be helpful towards polygamist because the federal government will STILL only recognize the legal marriage of 2 people.......and until some polygamist group actually file the "RIGHT" type of lawsuit......NOTHING will change for them......and that's the facts.......Kody and his supposed wives have been waiting for several years and their case STILL hasn't been heard at the District level yet......and I doubt a Judge will see their point of view......but anything is possible!!!

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#12076 Oct 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>She chose not to participate in a same sex wedding ceremony,
She wasn't asked to participate in the wedding idiot. You've been told this repeatedly. Participants in weddings aren't paid.
Brian_G wrote:
not to support or service it.
Her support was never requested either. As for servicing it....she operates a PUBLIC business. As such she is beholden to the laws of the state. The state law in Washington is very clear that she cannot discriminate her services because two men are marrying. Sorry Brian, she isn't above the law.
Brian_G wrote:
<
Don't you believe individuals have the right to not attend (or attend) religious services as they choose?
Yes, I most certainly do. Your florist wasn't asked to attend the wedding so I have no idea why you are asking this question. Oh, that's right, you're a complete moron. Carry on....
Brian_G wrote:
<
Same sex marriage is the death of freedom.
Discrimination is the death of freedom.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12077 Oct 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
A man born of the Greek isle of Lesbos emigrates to California. He is a lesbian.
I guess you were born on the Island of Whine. You are a whiner.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12078 Oct 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Should any AMERICAN CITIZEN be allowed to define marriage for themselves, consenting adults only, and have the automatically approve it?
When did THAT happen?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12079 Oct 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Just hours after the court ruled that DOMA was unconstitutional, Joe Darger said he and his family were pleased. Darger, who with his three wives detailed their life in the book "Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage," said the ruling should help remedy polygamists' treatment as "second-class citizens."
"The government," he said, "can't single out a single class of people for favorable or unfavorable treatment."
Oh yes the government CAN single out a class of people for unfavorable treatment, therefore Joe Darger is WRONG.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#12080 Oct 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
A man born of the Greek isle of Lesbos emigrates to California. He is a lesbian.
No dipshyt, a man born of the Greek isle of Lesbos emigrates to California. He is a Lesbian, not a lesbian.

Les·bi·an [lez-bee-uhn]
adjective
of or pertaining to Lesbos.
noun
an inhabitant of Lesbos.

I love it when one idiot jumps to the rescue of another. Damn funny.

lesbian (&#712;l&#603;zb&# 618;&#601;n)
noun
a female homosexual
adjective
of or characteristic of lesbians

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12081 Oct 31, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but the ruling from SCOTUS isn't going to be helpful towards polygamist because the federal government will STILL only recognize the legal marriage of 2 people.......and until some polygamist group actually file the "RIGHT" type of lawsuit......NOTHING will change for them......and that's the facts.......Kody and his supposed wives have been waiting for several years and their case STILL hasn't been heard at the District level yet......and I doubt a Judge will see their point of view......but anything is possible!!!
"Kody and his supposed wives...." I sense some hostility there....not very nice. They're "Sister Wives", I would have thought you would've felt a connection with them as wives.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12082 Oct 31, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No dipshyt, a man born of the Greek isle of Lesbos emigrates to California. He is a Lesbian, not a lesbian.
Les·bi·an [lez-bee-uhn]
adjective
of or pertaining to Lesbos.
noun
an inhabitant of Lesbos.
I love it when one idiot jumps to the rescue of another. Damn funny.
lesbian (&#712;l&#603;zb&# 618;&#601;n)
noun
a female homosexual
adjective
of or characteristic of lesbians
Awwwwww....Joanie is talking to me again. I love it when the Glibtees play the vocabulary game. Word origins are fun. Don't forget this one:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...
A male lesbian is a physiologically heteosexual male who wishes he'd been born a girl. He feels alienated by the social standards of gender roles. He may be a crossdresser or consider himself transgendered, but he is probably not transsexual. His ideal would be to be able to be his feminine self in a relationship with a biological female. If he is open about this, he may be ridiculed by both the gay and straight communities.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12083 Oct 31, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes the government CAN single out a class of people for unfavorable treatment, therefore Joe Darger is WRONG.
Uhhhhhh.....huh...but only if it's the class of people you like...right XBox?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12084 Oct 31, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you were born on the Island of Whine. You are a whiner.
You're from the planet Uranus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay wedding cake at center of Colorado Appeals ... 11 min Respect71 692
News End of Boy Scouts' ban on gays prompts elation ... 20 min WeTheSheeple 33
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Mark 52,057
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 1 hr LATER than WOODEN... 6,507
News Clerk to quit, cites 'moral conviction' 1 hr Wondering 133
News Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay mar... 1 hr Wondering 443
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 2 hr Tre H 34,550
More from around the web