Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#12052 Oct 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
She chose not to participate in a same sex wedding ceremony, not to support or service it. Don't you believe individuals have the right to not attend (or attend) religious services as they choose?
Acting as a individual, yes. When operating a business as a public accommodation, no. A business isn't invited to attend a wedding ceremony; it's paid to provide goods and services to customers.
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage is the death of freedom.
Your advocacy of discrimination against and infringement of the fundamental rights of minority groups you dislike is the death of freedom. Freedom belongs to all citizens, not merely those who can garner majority support.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#12053 Oct 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhhhhh.....no....I stated that. You professed a same sex attraction.
<quoted text>
Ahhhhhhh.....but folks from that Island are Lesbians.
<quoted text>
That's it what you have, but if it works for you......
<quoted text>
By that reasoning, why don't you have a FUNDAMENTAL right to marry__________a close relative, or more than one person)? Simplest saying "I don't want to", doesn't address the question.
<quoted text>
No one is asking you "to live a lie". You can marry whomever you want without state recognition. However the right to marry, still requires a legal definition of marriage! Why is that so hard to grasp! So if you can change the legal definition of marriage for your needs/desires/wants, so you don't "have to live a lie", why can't someone else.
Just out of curiosity, if a woman who once identified as a lesbian, or one that still does, CHOOSES chooses to marry a man, is she "living a lie"?
Again.....I DIDN'T need to profess anything when we got our marriage license except that I was the person who I had stated I was.......no one asked me if I was a Lesbian or heterosexual:-)

You really might want to do the research about the Island........here ya go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesbos

If marriage is about ESTABLISHING kinship......then why would I need or want to marry someone I'm already related to? As for marry more than one person.......that is a State requirement that needs to be challenged by those who are interested in that aspect of marriage......and you've been told that many times, also my question WASN'T changing the current 2 consenting adult requirement.....but again, instead of answering the question......you continue to want to make a jackazz outta yourself!!!

Again, why SHOULDN'T I have the right to marry the person of my choosing and also have that marriage legally recognize by both the State and Federal government? In fact....I did have that right, exercised that right and have been happily and legally married for over 5 years:-)

I have NEVER stated that polygamist or others DON'T have the right to challenge the definition of marriage or seek the right to marry more than one person.......but it is THEIR fight and I wish them Good luck in their fight.....it is however NOT my fight and the outcome DOESN'T affect my marriage in any way......just like my legal marriage DOESN'T affect your marriage!!!

Yes, if a woman is a Lesbian and she opts to marry a man.....in my opinion she is living a lie......now if she is BISEXUAL that's an entirely different situation!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#12054 Oct 30, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he's not.......he's just a man who loves women.......you will post anything just because you don't like what is happening.....that's sad!!!
Quite fascinating actually, you've inspire me to research. It's amazing what one finds, often accidentally. The use of the word "lesbian" to denote women who are sexually attracted to other women, is not that old. It's original meaning is to refer to the residents, men, women, and children, of the Greek isle of Lesbos.

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-origin-word-lesbi...
Huge swaths of our modern day vernacular come from the old Greek and Latin languages, shaped by the culture of the ancient empires. Aphrodisiacs, substances or rituals meant to increase sexual arousal and desire, are named for the Greek goddess Aphrodite. Nymphomania, a condition that was originally used to refer to sexually active women which has since been disproved, also draws from Greek mythology comparing women to nymphs, who were spirits that would tempt men, gods and satyrs into sex and sensuality. Even our modern day term for women who have a romantic and sexual preference for other women, lesbian, comes from this period of history.
A lesbian would originally have been someone who hailed from the isle of Lesbos. This is a relatively small island in the Aegean Sea off the coast of Turkey. The island itself wasn't particularly remarkable for anything amazing, but it did boast a poet by the name of Sappho around the year 600 BC. Female poets, and love poetry aren't unsual, but Sappho's poetry (the pieces which survived censorship for religious and cultural reasons) was love poetry from a woman to other women. Keeping in mind that in Ancient Greece this wasn't anything at all unusual since homosexuality was accepted as common, it's understandable that the word lesbian didn't see common use in its modern context until the 1800s.

During the 1800s, probably before 1870, the word lesbian began being used to describe women who had desires for other women. There was also the use of the term Sapphic, referring directly to Sappho, but it was eventually pushed aside in favor of lesbian. Perhaps because it rolled off the tongue better. But over time what began as a mere euphamism has become the word for the idea of a homosexual woman, even if people don't remember what the original context of the word was. The real irony of course is that the word comes from a time and a culture when debate over gay rights would have been ludicrous at best. Athens was renowned for homosexuality, and even the Spartans, the greatest soldiers in the world, were encouraged to support and love thy brother as a way to ensure that there was a unified fighting force that focused on defeating the enemy rather than who was having what sex with who.

“From a distance...”

Planet Earth

#12055 Oct 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
A man born of the Greek isle of Lesbos emigrates to California. He is a lesbian.
The islands inhabitants don't have exclusive right to or use of the word "lesbian". They even lost a court case in Greece to prove it. You still seem to struggle with the concept of one word having multiple meanings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7520343.stm

“From a distance...”

Planet Earth

#12056 Oct 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait....waitaminit....did Little Terry do some homework? Why yes he did! Bravo Little Terry!
Unlike you, I always do my homework. That's probably why you make so many stupid and factually incorrect assertions in your posts.

#12057 Oct 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite fascinating actually, you've inspire me to research. It's amazing what one finds, often accidentally. The use of the word "lesbian" to denote women who are sexually attracted to other women, is not that old. It's original meaning is to refer to the residents, men, women, and children, of the Greek isle of Lesbos.
http://voices.yahoo.com/the-origin-word-lesbi...
You really DON'T need to copy and paste from the link......just post the link and let others decide of they want to read it.......by the way......the word "Lesbian" was first used approximately in the 1800's, but became rather popular in the late 1960's and 70's:
http://lesbianlife.about.com/od/herstory/f/Le...

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#12058 Oct 31, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
Acting as a individual, yes. When operating a business as a public accommodation, no. A business isn't invited to attend a wedding ceremony; it's paid to provide goods and services to customers.
And they declined to attend and serve a same sex wedding ceremony so they were sued. There is no tolerance on the left.

Terra Firma wrote:
Your advocacy of discrimination against and infringement of the fundamental rights of minority groups you dislike is the death of freedom.
I oppose the policies of the left, I don't dislike them. I've always written there is nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality.

Terra Firma wrote:
Freedom belongs to all citizens, not merely those who can garner majority support.
Many gays defend marriage as one man and one woman and I thank them for their support. Same sex marriage loses at the polls because gays understand this is an issue of radical social change, not defamation.

#12059 Oct 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage loses at the polls because gays understand this is an issue of radical social change, not defamation.
You haven't been paying attention lately......we won at the polls or ballot box big time in 2012:-)

Gays, Lesbians and our supporters understand that being INCLUDED is not a radical social change.....it's the right thing to do because NO AMERICAN CITIZEN SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO MARRY THE PERSON OF THEIR CHOOSING!!!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#12061 Oct 31, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
You haven't been paying attention lately......we won at the polls or ballot box big time in 2012:-) Gays, Lesbians and our supporters understand that being INCLUDED is not a radical social change.....it's the right thing to do because NO AMERICAN CITIZEN SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO MARRY THE PERSON OF THEIR CHOOSING!!!
According to NorCal's argument, if a citizen wants to marry someone already married, a close relative or someone below the age of consent; that's their right.

Same sex marriage is so bad that its just the first step toward disaster.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#12062 Oct 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>And they declined to attend and serve a same sex wedding ceremony so they were sued. There is no tolerance on the left.
A business owner cannot deny service to the public in this way. This has already been explained to you in detail, and yet you refuse to learn. Why?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#12063 Oct 31, 2013
The fact they did reject serving a same sex wedding proves Quest wrong. Religious and artistic freedom trump PC regulations and forcing Christians to attend same sex wedding ceremonies or any other religious service.

If you love freedom, keep marriage one man and one woman.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12064 Oct 31, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
The islands inhabitants don't have exclusive right to or use of the word "lesbian".
No, but they are the originals. Besides it far more accurately describes them.
They even lost a court case in Greece to prove it. You still seem to struggle with the concept of one word having multiple meanings.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7520343.stm
Found it already, before you posted the link, but thanks again for doing your homework.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#12065 Oct 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The fact they did reject serving a same sex wedding proves Quest wrong. Religious and artistic freedom trump PC regulations and forcing Christians to attend same sex wedding ceremonies or any other religious service.
If you love freedom, keep marriage one man and one woman.
How am I wrong? Can a business owner who holds a business license refuse to serve any group he/she dislikes? What groups are included in that? Jews? Catholics? Blacks? Women? Muslims?

Or is it only gay couples?

You might as well say that we need to keep interracial marriage illegal, to protect the religious rights of business owners to discriminate against those couples.

We don't harm a group of hardworking law-abiding Americans, simply to protect those who would illegally discriminate against them based on religion. If you are unhappy with that, I suggest moving to a country that is government by religious law.

But I can tell you that many places under religious law aren't that friendly to Christians, either.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12066 Oct 31, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
You really DON'T need to copy and paste from the link....
No, but it does help move things along mi amica.
..just post the link and let others decide of they want to read it.......by the way......the word "Lesbian" was first used approximately in the 1800's,
As mentioned in the cut and paste.
but became rather popular in the late 1960's and 70's:
http://lesbianlife.about.com/od/herstory/f/Le...
Yes, during the lesbian feminist phase.

Here's a link for you, on Sappho as a "gay icon".

http://condor.depaul.edu/dsimpson/tlove/sapph...

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12067 Oct 31, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't been paying attention lately......we won at the polls or ballot box big time in 2012:-)
Gays, Lesbians and our supporters understand that being INCLUDED is not a radical social change.....it's the right thing to do because NO AMERICAN CITIZEN SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO MARRY THE PERSON OF THEIR CHOOSING!!!
Yet they are.....after all the Browns are denied that right, as are the Dargers, plus numerous other plural marriage practitioners. So it begs the question, Where is the line drawn, if " NO AMERICAN CITIZEN SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO MARRY THE PERSON OF THEIR CHOOSING!!!"?

#12068 Oct 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>According to NorCal's argument, if a citizen wants to marry someone already married, a close relative or someone below the age of consent; that's their right.
Same sex marriage is so bad that its just the first step toward disaster.
Gee Brian......I didn't say that......but then, you have nothing else, so making false accusations is perfectly okay, right?

#12069 Oct 31, 2013
ah verkligen wrote:
<quoted text>....except for polygamists, and blood relatives,
...and anyone else gays disagree with, that is....
Awww, did someone not comprehend what was posted?

#12070 Oct 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but it does help move things along mi amica.
<quoted text>
As mentioned in the cut and paste.
<quoted text>
Yes, during the lesbian feminist phase.
Here's a link for you, on Sappho as a "gay icon".
http://condor.depaul.edu/dsimpson/tlove/sapph...
Sorry, but no thanks......this is your game, you play it!!!

#12071 Oct 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet they are.....after all the Browns are denied that right, as are the Dargers, plus numerous other plural marriage practitioners. So it begs the question, Where is the line drawn, if " NO AMERICAN CITIZEN SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO MARRY THE PERSON OF THEIR CHOOSING!!!"?
Sorry, but NO they're not......Kody Brown is legally married to one woman and has NOT bothered to fight to marry more than one....all they have done is sued to have the criminal charges removed from what they are doing......again, NOT my fight.......and obviously NOT a fight they actually want to take on either!!!

In fact Pete......YOU are the ONLY one making an issue for polygamy wanting to marry more than one person.........strange how those you claim want to have that right AREN'T the ones actually fighting that fight!!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12072 Oct 31, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee Brian......I didn't say that......but then, you have nothing else, so making false accusations is perfectly okay, right?
NorCal Native wrote:

Those words all in caps, "NO AMERICAN CITIZEN.....", can included polygamists, who are American citizens as are those who might wish to marry a sibling. If only those other folks didn't exist,..... Sorry Nor Cal, but you don't get to limit the rights of other Americans for their form of marriage, while arguing YOUR form, shouldn't be denied. What's good for the gay goose, is good for the poly gander.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 hr RiccardoFire 14,243
News Gay couples exchange vows in Montana after ruling (Nov '14) 14 hr BangmoPopoPedos 184
News Meghan McCain marries Ben Domenech in Arizona 17 hr American Citizen 1
News You're gay? You're out! Gay teacher sacked due ... Wed Rabbis on the Run 2
News Free Woods: 19th century community unique in area (Feb '11) Tue Draius Jesse Ballard 6
News PolitiFact NH: Did Margaret Sanger believe Afri... (Oct '15) Tue Bill Clinton 6
News Lesbian granted rights of 'husband' in same-sex... (May '17) Tue Harry Pothead 37
More from around the web