Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17556 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

dcm1

Avondale, AZ

#1013 Jan 12, 2013
Aaaaahhhhh....The GAYS!!!!!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#1015 Jan 12, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Laws that deny equality, stigmatize those being denied. This stigma affects how they are treated in a wide variety of situations, and can affect how they view themselves when the government tells them they are not worthy of equal treatment.
The Supreme Court ruled on the matter of "separate but equal" in the 1954 case Brown v. Board of Education. The court recognized that "separate but equal" opportunities created a feeling of inferiority for the minorities being segregated, and that this feeling of segregation could cause permanent emotional injury.It was the feeling of segregation and therefore inferiority that caused the court to determine separate could not be equal.
Ca. Supreme court agrees: "The statutory provisions that continue to limit access to this designation exclusively to opposite sex couples likely will be viewed as an official statement that the family relationship of same sex couples are not of comparable stature or equal dignity to the family relationship of opposite-sex couples." (p.118 In Re Marriage)
"While retention of the limitation of marriage to opposite-sex couples is not needed to preserve the rights and benefits of opposite-sex couples, the exclusion of same sex couples from the designation of marriage works a real and appreciable harm upon same-sex couples and their children." (p.117 In re Marriage)
I know that we must go by what the Supreme Court says- or so it seems- I don't agree with them on all things. I think they are not really "blind regarding justice" but are very politically motivated/agenda driven and probably corrupt like our politicians and media and it goes hand in hand. To me, for example, Obama's health plan is unconstitutional as hell in the way it is implemented. Something else under a noble guise that has dark underlying intentions from all I can see. On through the supreme court it goes- and a supposed conservative gives it the final push with his supposed loophole. They are all the same and not noble people to me.
Sam

Pekin, IL

#1014 Jan 12, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether you call it hate or not, it's messed up and wrong.
Yes I have a marriage. No you can't change that or call it something else.
The next steps are for full legal recognition, entailing: 1) repeal DOMA and 2) Marriage legal in all 50 states.
It's a matter of time. A relatively short time, I predict.
I don't care what you wish were true, or what you plan to keep saying or not saying after the fact. You just make yourself sound silly. A tree is a tree, even if you start insisting it's a dog. Reality wins.
When two consenting adults of legal age get married, then that's a marriage, no matter who likes it or doesn't. That's the reality you haven't yet faced.
And for that, you deserve contempt and ridicule.
So, sick one, if the two consenting adults are brother and sister, that's OK?

Homosexual 'marriage' is a fraud and has been overwhelmingly rejected by homosexuals as an actual practice in every country that allows your concocted oxymoron. A study conducted by your fellow homosexuals found that few such 'marriages' are even exclusive arrangements.

Trying to call a homosexual relationship a 'marriage' is admitting that they have no real import or value to society on their own. They share none of the reasons for government involvement in real marriage. There is no standardized pattern, they are not the basis of even homosexual society, they cannot provide a child with a father and mother, and no child is ever born as a direct result. They also do not involve two economically unequal genders.

Forget trying to disenfranchise others to force your concocted nonsense into law. Try a little 'live and let live.' You anti-Christian bigotry just develops bad feelings toward all homosexuals.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1016 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Civil union.
ok it seriously pisses me off when people like you repeat the same things over and over even after we waste our time directing you to the truth.

You missed some time in 6th grade if you never learned about "separate but equal." (hint: it's not equal.) Look it up, because you keep making yourself look like a fool and you don't even have the decency to be emarrassed about it.

Civil Unions are not equal. Period. Get it through your stubborn, ignorant head.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#1017 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Civil union.
"Black people, of all people, should not oppose equality. And that is what gay marriage represents.... No people of good will should oppose marriage equality. And they should not think that civil unions are a substitute. At best, civil unions are separate but equal. And we all know separate is never equal." (Julian Bond)

Rev. Dr. William Barber II, North Carolina NAACP chairman: "They're trying to give people, based on their sexuality, a kind of second- or third-class citizenship. We know what that looks like in the NAACP, and we're calling it what it is."
sickofit

Austin, MN

#1019 Jan 12, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>So, sick one, if the two consenting adults are brother and sister, that's OK?
Homosexual 'marriage' is a fraud and has been overwhelmingly rejected by homosexuals as an actual practice in every country that allows your concocted oxymoron. A study conducted by your fellow homosexuals found that few such 'marriages' are even exclusive arrangements.
Trying to call a homosexual relationship a 'marriage' is admitting that they have no real import or value to society on their own. They share none of the reasons for government involvement in real marriage. There is no standardized pattern, they are not the basis of even homosexual society, they cannot provide a child with a father and mother, and no child is ever born as a direct result. They also do not involve two economically unequal genders.
Forget trying to disenfranchise others to force your concocted nonsense into law. Try a little 'live and let live.' You anti-Christian bigotry just develops bad feelings toward all homosexuals.
I hear Iran would fit your nazi fascist KKK crap real well...MOVE-------THIS IS A FREE NATION HITLER TRASH.....GET OUT TRAITOR....THE CONSTITUTION RUELS HERE NOT YOUR CULT RELIGION BUYBULL CRAP..

Location hidden

#1018 Jan 12, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense. No heterosexual marriage is more moral than mine. Most are less moral than mine - cheating, abuse, divorce, etc.
How much can really be held up in this nation as an absolute moral anymore without someone arguing that all is "relative", blah, blah, blah.
aisling-

Port Clinton, OH

#1020 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Aisling. What do you think of civil unions for gay people? Maybe you have said & I missed it.
Hi sONE. I guess the way that I look at it is I'm definitely against same sex marriage and large in part of how it will affect society and what could result in the long run. Not to mention that it does go against my religious beliefs and the values that I hold for myself.

One the other hand, I'm not out to condemn gay people or judge them in that it's not my place to do so. I guess you might say that I'm a realist and I understand that civil unions are similar to marriage but it's not marriage per se. I definitely don't believe that gays should be discriminated against in our court system or denied anything such as benefits, etc. So I would have to say that to make both sides happy, yes to civil unions but no to marriage. That way they have theirs and we have ours. Both are separate, no one is considered inferior, just that both are different for the obvious reasons.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1021 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
And now, proceeding to ignore your posts.
Have a nice day.
Cop out.

You're nothing but a hate-filled loser who can't even articulate a valid point.

May you trip and fall today.

Location hidden

#1022 Jan 12, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
Super rich is anyone making over 50 million a year...And yes lets exclude those who got rich by hard work and creating jobs
Oh and yes most politicans are lawyers bankers and rich...sooooooooo
Yeah, I don't like to demean people simply because they are rich. I think many, perhaps most, became rich in at least a benign way.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#1023 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Most country women helped with farm chores- at least some of the time.
Just as the song goes,
'You are my wife, good-bye city life'.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1024 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
How much can really be held up in this nation as an absolute moral anymore without someone arguing that all is "relative", blah, blah, blah.
It's really tedious trying to reason with those of lesser intelligence. If you have such a problem determining morality, that's your problem.
sickofit

Austin, MN

#1025 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi sONE. I guess the way that I look at it is I'm definitely against same sex marriage and large in part of how it will affect society and what could result in the long run. Not to mention that it does go against my religious beliefs and the values that I hold for myself.
One the other hand, I'm not out to condemn gay people or judge them in that it's not my place to do so. I guess you might say that I'm a realist and I understand that civil unions are similar to marriage but it's not marriage per se. I definitely don't believe that gays should be discriminated against in our court system or denied anything such as benefits, etc. So I would have to say that to make both sides happy, yes to civil unions but no to marriage. That way they have theirs and we have ours. Both are separate, no one is considered inferior, just that both are different for the obvious reasons.
F F F F F YOUR RELIGION THERE NAZI BOY..........YOUR HITLER RELIGION DOESNT RULE HERE PUNK....THE CONSTITUTION DOES.....

How is more freedom and more equality bad to you nazi freaks?????

Location hidden

#1026 Jan 12, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
"Black people, of all people, should not oppose equality. And that is what gay marriage represents.... No people of good will should oppose marriage equality. And they should not think that civil unions are a substitute. At best, civil unions are separate but equal. And we all know separate is never equal." (Julian Bond)
Rev. Dr. William Barber II, North Carolina NAACP chairman: "They're trying to give people, based on their sexuality, a kind of second- or third-class citizenship. We know what that looks like in the NAACP, and we're calling it what it is."
So... what you are looking for is a validation from society and not just laws that protect you equally across the board.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#1027 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that we must go by what the Supreme Court says- or so it seems- I don't agree with them on all things. I think they are not really "blind regarding justice" but are very politically motivated/agenda driven and probably corrupt like our politicians and media and it goes hand in hand. To me, for example, Obama's health plan is unconstitutional as hell in the way it is implemented. Something else under a noble guise that has dark underlying intentions from all I can see. On through the supreme court it goes- and a supposed conservative gives it the final push with his supposed loophole. They are all the same and not noble people to me.
And still, no legitimate governmental interest sufficient to deny equal treatment under the law as required by the 5th and 14th amendments to the constitution.

Could we stick to marriage equality please?

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1028 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
That's hysterical. You are so foolish, you think that civil unions will affect society differently than gay marriages. It's the same relationship with the same benefits and responsibilities. It's just "separate" (and not equal) for the purpose of assuaging the less intelligent who are threatened by it.

Come on, June! Let's end this.

Location hidden

#1029 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel the same.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1030 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
So... what you are looking for is a validation from society and not just laws that protect you equally across the board.
You're nuts, and with poor reading comprehension skills to boot.

Don't you have something better to do? Any life at all?

Location hidden

#1031 Jan 12, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
It's really tedious trying to reason with those of lesser intelligence. If you have such a problem determining morality, that's your problem.
I don't believe I have a problem determining it. I said many will want to blur the lines to suit themselves and I see it in many situations.

So, many who would say they are "on the left" politically put down the right but the left are usually the ones who are the most insulting in a debate and tell people to die and that they hope horrible things happen to them, that they are stupid, etc.

Location hidden

#1032 Jan 12, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
You're nuts, and with poor reading comprehension skills to boot.
Don't you have something better to do? Any life at all?
Yeah, I have a life- but not much to do until evening and then a fuller schedule beginning Monday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... 15 hr Rose_NoHo 194
News Pastors Rarely Asked to Wed Same-Sex Couples 19 hr WasteWater 49
News Irish gay marriage referendum campaigner warns ... Tue Fa-Foxy 8
News How Donald Trump is slowly teaching Republicans... Tue Go Blue Forever 39
News Michael Kirby warns against 'dangerous' politic... Mon Larry Craig s WC ... 26
News Why Does the Church Wink at Divorce but Get So ... Sun Theocraencyclical 9
News Gay South Carolina police chief makes historic ... Sun Theocraencyclical 5
More from around the web