Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17562 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#8535 Aug 21, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
The right to marry has to have a definitional foundation to it, which is the right to enter into a monogamous union of husband and wife. Its not what one wishes to define marriage.
yet the US federal government now defines marriage to include same sex marriages,so that basic civil right of marriage should be had by all., regardless of which state they live in.

Scotus knew the ramifications of their decision. they opened the door that should have been opened and SSM will be the law of the land very soon. one SCOTUS case away....
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#8536 Aug 21, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohhhhhh....so ssm is a fundamental right according to SCOTUS? That would mean its legal nation wide. Thanks for clearing that up........nice try.
Did I say that? No, I didn't. Thanks for jumping to unsupportable conclusions.
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#8537 Aug 21, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
The right to marry has to have a definitional foundation to it, which is the right to enter into a monogamous union of husband and wife. Its not what one wishes to define marriage.
Oh, but it is. It's whatever the government says it is. Marriage is legal government recognition, and they are free to define it any damn way they choose. Our Constitution guarantees equal protection to all citizens, not only heterosexuals.

What's the matter? Are you afraid of change? It's the one thing you can depend on.

St. Croix valley

#8538 Aug 21, 2013
Rose Feratu wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say that? No, I didn't. Thanks for jumping to unsupportable conclusions.
in fact, it is legal for some nationwide. members of the military have their SSM recognized by the US gov't regardless of where they are based. the military even will grant them ten days off to go to a state where SSM is legal so they can get married.

SCOTUS opened the door wide for this civil right to be legally recognized across the nation. they knew the ramifications of their decision...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#8540 Aug 21, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so. It is a legal union of two people who are committed to one another sharing family duties, property, and other things associated with a family unit. Such legal relationships are bound by law and subject to protection of pertinent laws. To deny same-sex couples the right to establish such family units denies them due process of the law.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#8541 Aug 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet the US federal government now defines marriage to include same sex marriages,
Yet they did not explicitly say ssm is a fundamental right.
so that basic civil right of marriage should be had by all., regardless of which state they live in.
It was, and still is "had by all", all men and women provided they meet as any other basic requirements set forth by the state. Are you suggesting the individual has the right to define legal marriage as they so choose, and have the state simply grant it?
Scotus knew the ramifications of their decision. they opened the door that should have been opened and SSM will be the law of the land very soon. one SCOTUS case away....
Or they opened a Pandora's box. If the conjugality, as in opposite sex, is expendable, what other state requirements can be maintained if marriage is a "fundamental right"?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#8542 Aug 22, 2013
0h-__-R3411Y wrote:
<quoted text>
Then,....what's the point in them BEING husband and wife?
Wait, I know...they get to benefit from the institution of marriage financially, like married gay couples,
....without all that boring "married" stuff, like,...commitment, for instance.
VERY progressive.
Very,....."liberal",
to coin a phrase.
I believe the point way back when was for women to be taken care of by their men. Don't blame me for heterosexual cultural shadow-traditions. I merely observe. And I don't believe there are any serious disagreements with my impressions.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#8543 Aug 22, 2013
0h-__-R3411Y wrote:
<quoted text>
Then,....what's the point in them BEING husband and wife?
Wait, I know...they get to benefit from the institution of marriage financially, like married gay couples,
....without all that boring "married" stuff, like,...commitment, for instance.
VERY progressive.
Very,....."liberal",
to coin a phrase.
monoogamy isn't just a "straight" thing sugar.

my partner & i've been together now for 23+ yrs and been monogamous.

kind of like our parents.

but not all straight married couple stay together or are monogamous, either, are they? gee, maybe it's a human thing and not an orientation thing, all things considered.
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#8544 Aug 22, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet they did not explicitly say ssm is a fundamental right.
<quoted text>
It was, and still is "had by all", all men and women provided they meet as any other basic requirements set forth by the state. Are you suggesting the individual has the right to define legal marriage as they so choose, and have the state simply grant it?
<quoted text>
Or they opened a Pandora's box. If the conjugality, as in opposite sex, is expendable, what other state requirements can be maintained if marriage is a "fundamental right"?
Next thing you know, they'll let you marry a potato. It would be an intellectual match. "...individuals define legal marriage..."????????? Are you smoking crack?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8545 Aug 22, 2013
Rose Feratu wrote:
<quoted text>
Next thing you know, they'll let you marry a potato.
That's reserved for the Irish.
It would be an intellectual match. "...individuals define legal marriage..."????????? Are you smoking crack?
Why not give everyone who wants a marriage certificate and a trophy, so no one's feelings are hurt.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8546 Aug 22, 2013
Rose Feratu wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, but it is. It's whatever the government says it is. Marriage is legal government recognition, and they are free to define it any damn way they choose.
Hallelujah!
Our Constitution guarantees equal protection to all citizens, not only heterosexuals.
What's the matter? Are you afraid of change? It's the one thing you can depend on.
The constitution doesn't mention sexual identity labels. As far as marriage is concerned, MEN AND WOMEN are given equal protection in marriage, because they're both equally necessary for the marital relationship and the state's interest in it, thanks for playing.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8549 Aug 22, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
monoogamy isn't just a "straight" thing sugar.

It's a marriage thing sweet 'ems. No need for sexually identity labels, and yes there are differences between the sexes even in same sex relationships.
my partner & i've been together now for 23+ yrs
I've been with my wife a tad longer. Plus I've a friend I've known since kindergarten. So your point issssss......?
and been monogamous.
kind of like our parents.
Ditto
but not all straight married couple stay together or are monogamous, either, are they?

Nor are all married couples "straight", some are both conjugal, and "mixed orientation". And yes, not all are sexual faithful, or still together.
gee, maybe it's a human thing and not an orientation thing, all things considered.
I'd say both human and gender influenced.

St. Croix valley

#8551 Aug 22, 2013
0h-__-R3411Y wrote:
<quoted text>So, if they're both men, or both women,
.....who takes care of whom?
See, THAT'S why "ssm" is not "equal" to a real marriage,
and therefore does NOT qualify for "equal protection under the law".
women don't really need to be 'taken care of' by their men, they are equally good at taking care of themselves, if not better...

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8552 Aug 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>women don't really need to be 'taken care of' by their men, they are equally good at taking care of themselves, if not better...
We all need to be taken care of, at some point, even a big strong he woodsman like you Woody.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8553 Aug 22, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so. It is a legal union of two people who are committed to one another sharing family duties, property, and other things associated with a family unit.

Oh like two brothers, sisters, or brother and sister. All two person family units recognized by law.

[QUOTE]
. Such legal relationships are bound by law and subject to protection of pertinent laws.
So two siblings would meet that definition.
To deny same-sex couples the right to establish such family units denies them due process of the law.
Ummmmm.....not quite....no one is stopping them from doing that, nor does the state need to be, or is obligated to, involved. Due process is not denied.

St. Croix valley

#8554 Aug 22, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
We all need to be taken care of, at some point, even a big strong he woodsman like you Woody.
but not because of my gender. that stone age thinking has no place in the real world...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#8556 Aug 22, 2013
Troth J Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>Ditto...there is no state interest in people marrying the same sex.
There is no state interest in banning SSM.

"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."

SCOTUS Majority opinion:

West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943

ARTICLE VI U.S. Constitution: The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States. ARTICLE IV SECTION 1. Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof. SECTION 2. The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states. AMENDMENT IX The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. AMENDMENT XIV SECTION 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#8557 Aug 22, 2013
Say no to Theocracy

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8558 Aug 23, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>but not because of my gender. that stone age thinking has no place in the real world...
What world is that, planet Androgynous?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8559 Aug 23, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>There is no state interest in banning SSM.
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."
SCOTUS Majority opinion:
West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943
ARTICLE VI U.S. Constitution: The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States. ARTICLE IV SECTION 1. Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof. SECTION 2. The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states. AMENDMENT IX The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. AMENDMENT XIV SECTION 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;
All women, and all men, have the same right to marry, enter into a legally recognized union of husband and wife, valid in all fifty states. "All" means just that, as long as they meet the other requirements as set forth by the state.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay wedding cake at center of Colorado Appeals ... 13 min Reverend Alan 602
News Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay mar... 14 min Gaybriel 415
News Southern Baptist annual meetings aims to contin... 1 hr Redeemed 11
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 10 hr tongangodz 6,455
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 11 hr RevKen 34,543
News Conservative Republicans question what's next a... 16 hr fatbacksx 210
News On Wedding Day, Bride and Groom Lose Everything 18 hr Proxy Baptism of ... 1
More from around the web