Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#227 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
If homosexuals can claim that sodomybis natural normal...

When we all know the diseases that can come from bacterial strains in the anus....

Then who are we to claim that adult animals can't give constent.

Isn't it discriminatory to deny animals the right to enjoy sex with their masters...

Who are we to peep into their bedrooms.
You're obsessed with some seriously weird stuff. Why do you waste your time worrying about what you fantasize other people do?

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#228 Jan 9, 2013
Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>....
You also reveal your ignorance of our tax laws...in order to take away the tax exempt status of Churches you dont like you would also have to remove the tax exempt status of multiple porganizations you do like....
Not even close to true. Who's showing your ignorance now?

You just explained how the tax code differentiates between various tax exempt groups and then followed it up by claiming that there's no difference because if churches get taxed, everyone else gets taxed. Why? You give no support.

You were hoping no one would notice that, weren't you?

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#229 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>Your histrionics are expected...a form of bullying to discourage opposing views.,.

A few of my concerns;

A traditional, historical family consists of a father and mother...

who comes together sexually and usually produce children from that union....

The father and mother both bring distinctive characteristics to the table...

both play important roles in the rearing of children.

We all know that the family model is not perfect but its the standard, the basic building block of society and should be protected.

Children crave normalcy, I'm widowed and my kids absolutely grieve many times they see kids with their fathers.

Homosexuals should never be harmed, they should be allowed to live out their lives in peace, etc just like anyone else. But we all know that....

The best homosexuals can bring to the table are blended families...

They can never reproduce with another homosexual...

Blended families have a high failure rate and homosexuals aren't known for monogamy....even though some here mock promiscuous heterosexuals....

The homosexual family model, like the single parent model (and I'm a widow)...

can and should never be considered the norm.

Freedom of religion and speech are important first amendment rights and should always be protected even for Christians and Catholics...

New super bugs are being created by anal sex.....although lesbians are getting diseases I'm not familiar with the way they have sex...

But my relative recently passed and all the homosexuals I know who have died ...

died before 40.
Wow. I have to congratulate you. You might be THE least informed poster I've encountered on Topix. And THAT sure says a lot.
the light has come

Danville, IL

#230 Jan 9, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope so, when I said that we want to "be treated with some equality and respect, and given the freedom to decide the course of our own lives, without someone else telling us that we must be exactly like them".
That's definitely on MY agenda. It's one I hope you share with me.
<quoted text>
It will be a little bit better, when people stop using "sexual orientation" as an excuse to ostracize someone. It will be better when people make the effort to get to KNOW someone on a personal level, BEFORE making judgments about their character or ethics.
You can't tell anything of depth or significance about a person, just by knowing what gender they are attracted to. This is far too shallow a characteristic to use as a bellweather to someone's personality. It's not a good excuse to use for shunning people and separating them from the rest of society. It doesn't justify waiving or restricting their constitutional rights.
In a perfect world we would not even be discussing this issue. I have given my opinion based on my experience and research on a thread in the comment box. I was not referring to no one personal but made comment on the thread. There has been people that have not even giving their view on the thread hit the reply and go on the attack. Calling me names and giving insults and they do not know me. In my everyday life people have not called me the names I been called on this forum. People on this forum want to bully you if they do not agree with you. I have a right to my opinion as do they and I will not let some unknown person bully me to make me change my view.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#231 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>You disappeared when you had no rebuttal to my post about...

Young girls when molested usually become promiscuous...

you're a hypocrite.
And you're a liar. You have no support for that statement. Just your own supposition based solely on your own prejudices.

Do yourself a favor--get some education. Deal in reality for a change. You might find it empowering.
the light has come

Danville, IL

#232 Jan 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Government benefits that come with marriage are an economics issue, to benefit those already married. Government interference with respect to who may marry whom is a human rights issue. Yes, we can and should have it both ways.
it is the government that issue the license and the benefits come with the license. You can`t have it both ways.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#233 Jan 9, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>The anal excuse for denial of equal rights also fails to consider not all gay men practice it, gay women do not, and there are more heterosexual people who practice it than gay people.

Additionally, there is no reason to believe straight families will stop having children when marriage equality is recognized in more places, nor any reason to believe gay parents will stop raising children if it isn't. Denial of equality only harms those denied, while providing no benefit to straight families.
This is one of my favorite, non-thinking idiot, anti-gay lies. The insane fear that if they stop demonizing gay people that suddenly all the straight people in the world will suddenly "turn gay" and stop having children.

Really??? Do they really believe that being gay is SO fabulous, SO enticing, SO irresistible and EVERYONE wants it so desperately that a handful of bigots demonizing gay people is the ONLY thing keeping the gay floodgates from opening and turning the entire world into one great big, nonstop gay sex orgy??

Yikes!! I can see why they're so terrified of us. Amazing.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#234 Jan 9, 2013
the light has come wrote:
<quoted text>If government should not have a right to regulate marriage, Why expect government benefits that come with marriage. You can`t have it both ways.
Why not? Straight couples do.
Tony C

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#235 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll ignore your childish insults...and lol @ you knocking promiscuous hetereosexuals when homosexuals ...
are known for bath houses and perverted overtly trashy sexually perverted parades... and not exactly known for monogamy.
Sodomy is harmful which is why it was illegal, still is in many places...
are you claiming that there are no one getting harmed from many who are committing sodomy...
Men who are on the DL, sticking their penis in a man's anus then coming home to their wives and sticking it in their vagina....
Women are taught to wipe from front to back to avoid waste material from their own anus...
Are you actually claiming that no one is dying from diseases and no new bacterial strains are developing from this increase in anal sex?
OK that was a really weird post, but I'm getting a better picture of who you are, and realizing there isn't much point in bothering with you much longer. You are far from what I would call a worthy debator. This is not surprising since I have yet to find intelligent people who would even take your position.

There were no childish insults. You lose credibility by claiming there were.

"known for" is baloney. That's your stereotyping, not reality. You're ignorant, yet you think you know what's up. This should give you pause and make you re-check your facts, if you have any decency.

No, no one is being harmed from sodomy. And again I will remind you, a huge number of heterosexuals enjoy sodomy. Google the studies.

Sodomy is not harmful and that's not why it was illegal. Prejudice is why it was illegal, plain and simple. Note the word "was." It's not illegal. Get over it.

Men who are on the DL are not well-adjusted gay men. This is yet another reason for you to support gay marriage and gay honesty. People who consider themselves "plain old" gay men do not marry women, are not on the DL, and do not exhibit other destructive behavior like that. Your prejudice encourages that behavior, however.

You're really boring me now. I could go to an elementary school and find more worthy opponents with better developed arguments.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#236 Jan 9, 2013
In a perfect world we would not even be discussing this issue.
I don't know what you mean by that. We live in the world we live in. What would make it more "perfect"?
I have given my opinion based on my experience and research on a thread in the comment box. I was not referring to no one personal but made comment on the thread.
I went back and re-read your original comment, just so it was fresh. You're worried that people who speak out against the "gay agenda" often quickly back-pedal and apologize.

But, why would someone WANT to speak out AGAINST someone else's freedom, in the first place? People SHOULD apologize for that, it seems to me.
There has been people that have not even giving their view on the thread hit the reply and go on the attack.
Maybe they are wondering what I am wondering, why you would support anyone who condemns the freedoms of others. Maybe they have faced this condemnation of their freedom so many times, they're tired of being polite about it. Maybe they're angry about it. I can't say I blame them.

But you are not actually harmed by an "attack" on the internet. It's all just letters on a screen. Shrug it off.
Calling me names and giving insults and they do not know me.
But they know something ABOUT you; they know that you support people who oppose their freedom. THIS is what they are attacking. If you come here to say that their freedom should be publicly maligned without apology, then I think it would be fair to expect some backlash from that. Don't you?
In my everyday life people have not called me the names I been called on this forum.
Well, welcome to the internet. What can I tell you? People's fingers feel a certain level of freedom when they type with anonymity, and they don't always do it conversationally. I can only advise you not to engage with them, or to calmly encourage them to discuss the issue with logic and empathy. Demonstrate the better behavior that you hope to see in them.
People on this forum want to bully you if they do not agree with you.
Well, they probably see this treatment of their freedom as bullying, too. Some of them may have been dealing with this for many, many years.

Like I said before, no one is trying to make YOU gay. That's NOT on our "agenda". We support your freedom to live in the way that seems best to you. You should support that same freedom for others, even if you disagree with their way. You should NOT support the idea that apologies are not in order when that freedom is challenged, or when people are insulted for exercising it.
I have a right to my opinion as do they and I will not let some unknown person bully me to make me change my view.
But of course, no one can do that against your will. Your views are yours, to change as you see fit. No one can FORCE you to change them, certainly not over the internet. And remember, you come to the internet. It doesn't come looking for you, forcing you to post.

And also remember that views ARE changeable, and sometimes it's good to do so. What makes ME change my views is strong evidence and sound arguments. Be sure that you aren't just stubbornly digging in your heels AGAINST these things, all because of the conflicts that you have online.

There are 7 billion human beings on Earth, and even if gay people were only 1% of that, that's still 7 hundred million of us. That's almost twice the population of the United States (and it's likely that 1% is too small). I think a person's views should support the fairness of as many other human beings as possible. Try not to judge us ALL by the 8 or 9 people that you spar with while sitting at your computer.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#237 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Your histrionics are expected...a form of bullying to discourage opposing views.,.
A few of my concerns;
A traditional, historical family consists of a father and mother...
who comes together sexually and usually produce children from that union....
The father and mother both bring distinctive characteristics to the table...
both play important roles in the rearing of children.
We all know that the family model is not perfect but its the standard, the basic building block of society and should be protected.
Children crave normalcy, I'm widowed and my kids absolutely grieve many times they see kids with their fathers.
Homosexuals should never be harmed, they should be allowed to live out their lives in peace, etc just like anyone else. But we all know that....
The best homosexuals can bring to the table are blended families...
They can never reproduce with another homosexual...
Blended families have a high failure rate and homosexuals aren't known for monogamy....even though some here mock promiscuous heterosexuals....
The homosexual family model, like the single parent model (and I'm a widow)...
can and should never be considered the norm.
Freedom of religion and speech are important first amendment rights and should always be protected even for Christians and Catholics...
New super bugs are being created by anal sex.....although lesbians are getting diseases I'm not familiar with the way they have sex...
But my relative recently passed and all the homosexuals I know who have died ...
died before 40.
Good luck if you can find "histronics" or "bullying" in my post. It seems you are fairly delusional.

You seem to operate from stereotypes and nonsense.

Your "concerns" are those of a stupid person. Smart people easily get past those concerns because they have the ability to reason and understand. Your fears are woefully primitive and silly.

1. Children are not a requirement of marriage or life. Many heterosexual couples do not have children. Get over it. Many homosexual couples (including me) have no intention of having children. You can't make laws based on "some people."

If infertile and old heterosexual couples, or those who don't want children can get married, knowing full well they won't have children, then you can't exclude homosexual couples based on that. You should be able to understand that, even at your level.

2. If you don't require both a father and mother from every family, then you can't hold it against a homosexual family.

3. Homosexual families will exist whether you like it or not. Therefore, their children must be afforded the same protections as any other family, or America is a joke. Studies show homosexual couples have very well adjusted children, so there goes your dumb little theory.

Do you deny heterosexual promiscuity? Ever turn on a TV?

Stop stereotyping homosexuals as promiscuous. That's idiotic.

No matter what you consider "the norm" all kinds of families exist and each as valid as the next. Get over it.

Freedom of speech and religion did not protect the racists from having to accept black people as equals; neither will they protect bigots like you from having to accept gay people as equals. You will be brought into line just as they were. You don't have a choice.

Your superbug nonsense is baloney. Next.

"all the homosexuals you know" is an infinitesimally small number. I am over 40, my husband is over 40, and we know literally thousands of gay men over 40. I know very few who have died under 40, and I know far more gay people than you. The only thing that skews that statistic is AIDS, and once you get past the 80's, those statistics quiet down tremendously.

Once again - please, please educate yourself. You're spewing nonsense and don't even have enough sense to realize you're embarrassing yourself.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#238 Jan 9, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Great job exposing the irrational arguments and remaining rational in the face of irrationality.
Just remember you are arguing with someone who confuses rape with love, and thinks animals can demonstrate informed consent, which requires the ability to understand the legal consequences of the contract they are entering. And of course, the rest of the old, thoroughly discredited arguments, demonstrating once again, there is no rational, reasonable, or scientifically justifiable excuse for refusing to treat others as you would yourself under the law.
Thanks. Apparently you've dealt with this person longer than I. You make a lot of sense.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#239 Jan 9, 2013
<quoted text> There was people who objected to the passing of the laws in those 30 states but the it did not stop them from making a law and changing their constitution. That is a fact. Challenge a law do not mean it will be over thrown. If a state law say no gay marriage, you do not have a right in those states. If gays can marry in those states now, we would not be talking about it. That is a fact and not an opinion.
I guess that makes you feel better or something.

There were individual states that outlawed interracial marriage as well.

How are they doing now?
antrisge

Howell, MI

#240 Jan 9, 2013
hey let the gays burn in hell man.. don't bother them let them have whatever they want.. act like they aren't even gonna burn.. don't even tell them you think they are gonna burn..

it's gods will for you to let the sinners continue to sin..
antrisge

Howell, MI

#241 Jan 9, 2013
you stand in the sinners waay too much you stand in your own way..

Fort Lauderdale FL

#242 Jan 9, 2013
<quoted text>In a perfect world we would not even be discussing this issue. I have given my opinion based on my experience and research on a thread in the comment box. I was not referring to no one personal but made comment on the thread. There has been people that have not even giving their view on the thread hit the reply and go on the attack. Calling me names and giving insults and they do not know me. In my everyday life people have not called me the names I been called on this forum. People on this forum want to bully you if they do not agree with you. I have a right to my opinion as do they and I will not let some unknown person bully me to make me change my view.
Nobody cares if you change your view. What we will change is the law.

Best if you start getting used to it now.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#243 Jan 9, 2013
antrisge wrote:
hey let the gays burn in hell man.. don't bother them let them have whatever they want.. act like they aren't even gonna burn.. don't even tell them you think they are gonna burn..
it's gods will for you to let the sinners continue to sin..
My relationship with God is outstanding.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#244 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
Then who are we to claim that adult animals can't give constent.
Let me know when you get your horse to sign a marriage license. You are retarded.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#245 Jan 9, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're a liar. You have no support for that statement. Just your own supposition based solely on your own prejudices.
Do yourself a favor--get some education. Deal in reality for a change. You might find it empowering.
If Carol got an education she would have to kill herself out of embarrassment. She written too many blatantly stupid posts.

Lililth_Satans_B ore

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#246 Jan 9, 2013
amazing how some blacks now hide their anti equallity hate behind the very same 2000 year old comic book once used by white bigots to justify their anti black hate

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 27 min Frindly 6,790
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 5 hr Prince 31,998
News MIA gay marriage heroes Wed Nosy1 4
News Bar patrons keep drinking during armed robbery Wed anonymous 2
News Lorrie Morgan & Sammy Kershaw to Divorce (Oct '07) Tue Kenny Davis 31
News Newly released court documents cast doubt on Gi... (Dec '11) Tue Merchant of Alzhe... 40
News 'We feel extremely blessed': Two women get marr... (Aug '14) Jun 19 Going Islamic 135
More from around the web