Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17556 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#2375 Feb 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
The institution you speak of, and the laws themselves, are based on the relationship of husband and wife. By removing one, the husband or wife, from the institution, it then is no longer the same institution, but something else. There is no marriage institution based on the relationship of two men, or two women.
<quoted text>
Noooooo...water down the membership eligibility.
<quoted text>
Uhhhhh...hellloooooo...gay and lesbian people are seeking different treatment...if they weren't they would marry like everybody else.
Allowing gay people to participate under the same rules you apply to yourself does not take away any rights from you and therefore does not harm you and won't require any change in the rules and rights for straight people or their families. Gay people are already forming families. Denial of the same rights you have won't change that fact. It will only harm those families. Yet allowing us the same opportunities you have won't harm you. Your position results in needless suffering, while ours harms no one. Stop harming us.

In the states and countries that recognize the legal marriages of same sex couples, the present and future marriages of straight people have not changed. All of the same laws that determine what marriage is, remain in full force and effect. The institution of marriage includes opposite sex couples and same sex couples.

Marriage is a fundamental right of the individual. The only eligibility requirement is being human. Reasonable restrictions include age, ability to demonstrate informed consent, and not being closely related or currently married. Gay people qualify.

Gay people are asking to be treated equally under the laws in the remaining states and federal government that does not yet recognize their marriages.

Your desire to discriminate on the bases of gender provides no legitimate governmental interest sufficient for denial of this fundamental right.

Since: Apr 11

Panorama City, CA

#2376 Feb 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
The analogy to the ban on ssm and interracial marriage as being one and the same is weak....very weak.
I haven't seen anybody say they were. They were bans based on different things.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Interracial marriages were legal long before SSM.
So what?

Panorama City, CA

#2377 Feb 12, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I never claimed same sex marriage would make prison rape legal,
Liar. You did.
And you claimed that it would mean members of pro sports teams would be forced to marry each other.
I understand why you are embarrassed by those stupid claims, but you made them. Grow a pair and admit it!
Brian_G wrote:
unless that means forced prison marriage in our gender segregated prisons, where rape is already a problem.
If you care about people in gender segregated institutions, don't introduce marriage in the mix.
LOL. You are so dumb.

Panorama City, CA

#2378 Feb 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly? Its all in how marriage is defined, is it "husband AND wife", or "spouses for life" regardless of gender composition?
Doesn't matter, stupid. The issue is the legal status, not what you put on the invites.

Panorama City, CA

#2379 Feb 12, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>An unelected court introduced same sex marriage to America, in DC, the administration has refused requests for referendum on same sex marriage law. Same sex marriage is often antidemocratic; that's why I oppose same sex marriage.
<quoted text>If you oppose jailbait rape, keep marriage male/female to keep forced marriage out of our prisons.
So, when will the force prison marriages start in states that recognize gay marriages?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#2380 Feb 12, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
If you oppose jailbait rape, keep marriage male/female to keep forced marriage out of our prisons.
When you climb out from under your rock; you will discover America's first jailhouse gay marriage took place in December 2011. The gay married prisoners even exchanged beautiful wedding rings (pic)
http://auburnpub.com/news/local/auburn-correc...
What you didn't know didn't hurt you not even one teensy weensy bit!
You're just a big ole cry baby with your bottom lip poked out
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#2381 Feb 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"Pride Parades Inc"? Lions have incorporated? Before ya know it the peacocks will b unionized.
"Pro gay polygamist organizations".... ya don't say. Who would'be of thunk it.
<quoted text>
I wanna sit on the one with Kody and the wives. They are invited I presume.
<quoted text>
Oh a "Michael Jackson" theme....makes sense.
<quoted text>
Make sure you have a permit, and a hazmat clean up crew on standby.
Pride Parade Inc. has all bases covered
1/4 of the profits are donated to the host city's treasury to pay for police crowd control; cleanup; and to help reduce property taxes for the city's citizens
1/4 of the profits pay for this year's parade and for preparation of next year's parade
1/2 the profits support up to a dozen charities chosen by the parade producers
Over one million dollars was distributed among 11 charities in this parade:
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/file...
We've got it going; sugar
When are you polygamist types going to start your parades?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#2382 Feb 12, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Pride Parade Inc. has all bases covered
1/4 of the profits are donated to the host city's treasury to pay for police crowd control; cleanup; and to help reduce property taxes for the city's citizens
1/4 of the profits pay for this year's parade and for preparation of next year's parade
1/2 the profits support up to a dozen charities chosen by the parade producers
Over one million dollars was distributed among 11 charities in this parade:
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/file...
We've got it going; sugar
When are you polygamist types going to start your parades?
Why should there be "seperate but equal" parades? I thought u folks were against that?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#2383 Feb 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should there be "seperate but equal" parades? I thought u folks were against that?
Do you have Gay Pride?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#2384 Feb 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh honey...ain't nothin' equal to a gay pride parade!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#2385 Feb 12, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have Gay Pride?
Do you have Poly Pride?

Let's all chant together, "We poly, we're jolly, to ignore us is folly". Remember August 19th is National Polygamy Day. Get your tickets early.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#2386 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh honey...ain't nothin' equal to a gay pride parade!
Woody! Come va?

St. Croix valley

#2387 Feb 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Woody! Come va?
perfectamente, y tu?

St. Croix valley

#2388 Feb 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have Poly Pride?
Let's all chant together, "We poly, we're jolly, to ignore us is folly". Remember August 19th is National Polygamy Day. Get your tickets early.
yeah, THAT's gonna be a sellout!...gnyuck..yuck..

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#2389 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, THAT's gonna be a sellout!...gnyuck..yuck..
I hear Kody and the "Sister Wives" will be there handing out "We support Gay Marriage" tee shirts. They'll be signing autographs, posing for pictures, offering marriage advice.
AzAdam

Phoenix, AZ

#2390 Feb 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
There are always poly people at gay pride parades. They're generally very open minded. That's not as prevalent in pleural relationships which seem to tend toward misogyny, religious extremism and abuse, especially of the women and children. Not to mention hebophilia.

Personally I have no problem with poly or pleural relationships if they can avoid these vices, other than they're off topic.

St. Croix valley

#2391 Feb 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear Kody and the "Sister Wives" will be there handing out "We support Gay Marriage" tee shirts. They'll be signing autographs, posing for pictures, offering marriage advice.
no TV for this kiddo...i';m sure that will bring in the pawn stars and american idol crowd...

and seriously, can you really have a parade without that kind of element?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#2392 Feb 13, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
When you climb out from under your rock; you will discover America's first jailhouse gay marriage took place in December 2011. The gay married prisoners even exchanged beautiful wedding rings (pic)
http://auburnpub.com/news/local/auburn-correc...
What you didn't know didn't hurt you not even one teensy weensy bit!
You're just a big ole cry baby with your bottom lip poked out
Conservatives want more prisons, liberals want to change penitentiaries into honeymoon havens; this is where we differ.

Santa Monica, CA

#2393 Feb 13, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Conservatives want more prisons, liberals want to change penitentiaries into honeymoon havens; this is where we differ.
Con dumbs claim they want small government, but who do you think runs prisons? You are saying you want bigger government. America already has too many people in prison, especially young black males. We should not imprison people for non-violent drug offenses (I think half of people in jail are there for those kinds of offenses), in fact, we should legalize drugs. I want smaller government.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2394 Feb 13, 2013
What Rose said!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... 3 hr Pietro Armando 42
News Kerryann Taylor Weds Matthew French (Mar '13) 10 hr Honest truth 4
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 18 hr Tre H 4,336
News The Latest: Trump says canceling Chicago rally ... Tue OfficialTrumpCard 1,729
News Nicole Kidman's priest says actress hopes one d... Tue Anne Russell 1
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) Tue Levy Hater 31,925
News Bollywood in Taipei Tue TW_sugar_daddio 6
More from around the web