Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments
2,021 - 2,040 of 17,568 Comments Last updated May 2, 2014

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

All persons isn't male/female equality; the ERA failed. All persons means equal justice; how is it just to ask our daughters', sisters and mothers to join combat units in the front lines? How is it just to make women suffer death and injury in training for the front lines?

Gender equality is a choice, not a right. I choose no; homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals but men are not equal to women.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Jane Dodo wrote:
In your case, Brian, I am willing to say that you are merely stupid AND mistaken. Your list only has value as an example of what happens when stupid people get computers.
^^^Jane Dodo refuses to engage any argument and only attacks the person as "merely stupid AND mistaken". Ad hominem is fallacy.

I urge you to think, move beyond emotion and consider the world 20 years from now.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Not Yet Equal wrote:
Your assertion you have do not support harming gay people, denies the fact that by supporting discrimination, you promote the prejudice which ideology assailants use to justify the beating, torture, and murder of gay people, both here and around the world.
That's because I don't support harming gay people; that's wrong. One couple brought suit, not the entire gay populations. Not all gay people support same sex marriage, in fact many support marriage as one man and one woamn. I've never justified or even suggested "the beating, torture, and murder of gay people", those are Not Yet Equal's word quoted from above, not mine.

I've always written homosexuals should be treated with human dignity. It's Not Yet Equal who vilifies political opponents.

Not Yet Equal wrote:
It also stigmatizes and dehumanizes which results in self destruction for some, especially those too young to understand being gay is a natural part of being human for a minority of the population.
I've never promoted dehumanizing everyone; gays should be treated with the same rights as everyone else. In fact, they shouldn't be singled out for a special right to redefine marriage because they might be scapegoated if the idea backlashes. Please, if you care about gay people, keep marriage one man and one woman. Every gay was born of male/female union.

Not Yet Equal wrote:
So no matter how much you rationalize and deny, equality harms no one while anti-gay laws and beliefs result in suffering and death.
Many gays support marriage as one man and one woman; its not anti gay, we're anti gender equality. Even gays make gender discrimination, same sex marriage harms everyone.

Not Yet Equal wrote:
"While LGBT youth think about and attempt suicide more often than their straight counterpart, most LGBT youth do not attempt suicide. LGBT youth have many of the same risk factors as straight youth, but many LGBT have more or more severe risk factors. It is important to note that being LGBT is not a risk factor in and of itself; however, the minority stressors that LGBT individual encounter - such as discrimination and harassment - are directly associated with suicidal behavior as well as indirectly with risk factors for suicide." (American Association of Suicidology)[URL deleted]
^^^Isn't this the most pathetic argument you've ever heard? The young people's suicide argument for same sex marriage, shame!

Young people shouldn't have to worry about marriage; marriage isn't for everybody.

Not Yet Equal wrote:
The Ca. Supreme Court: "While retention of the limitation of marriage to opposite-sex couples is not needed to preserve the rights and benefits of opposite-sex couples, the exclusion of same sex couples from the designation of marriage works a real and appreciable harm upon same-sex couples and their children." (p.117)
The most overturned Supreme Court in the land.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Not Yet Equal wrote:
...Hate crimes against gay people are the highest per person in the U.S. Attacks against gay people are more severe and violent than for other groups according to the FBI.
Then, open your eyes.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Same sex marriage supporters tell children, men and women are essentially the same, then act surprised when children grow older and discover the lie. Homosexuals know men and women are not equal, that's why they aren't bisexual.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
All persons isn't male/female equality; the ERA failed. All persons means equal justice; how is it just to ask our daughters', sisters and mothers to join combat units in the front lines? How is it just to make women suffer death and injury in training for the front lines?
Gender equality is a choice, not a right. I choose no; homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals but men are not equal to women.
Try to refuse service to a woman at a restaurant and learn about gender equality.

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^Jane Dodo refuses to engage any argument and only attacks the person as "merely stupid AND mistaken". Ad hominem is fallacy.
I urge you to think, move beyond emotion and consider the world 20 years from now.
Jane is being generous. That's more than you have earned.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Then, open your eyes.
British lawmakers on Tuesday voted overwhelmingly in favor of a bill to legalize same-sex marriage championed by Prime Minister David Cameron, despite strong opposition from within his Conservative Party.

In a first House of Commons vote, lawmakers voted 400 to 175 in support of the legislation.

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage supporters tell children, men and women are essentially the same, then act surprised when children grow older and discover the lie. Homosexuals know men and women are not equal, that's why they aren't bisexual.
Brian G just makes stuff up and posts it if it sounds good to him.

LOL.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Same sex marriage would remove the freedom and privilege women have, to be the only sex licensed to marry men. It would also deprive men of the exclusive right to marry women. Same sex marriage is anti-freedom, anti-democratic and anti-natural law as well as anti-common sense.
Do you know the difference between a restriction and a freedom? Apparently not. Maybe you should start advocating freedumb.
Poly Marriage Equality

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you realize you never answer anything? You just keep restating the same thing over and over.
I'm trying to prepare you for the new reality. You can keep insisting it's not happening, but it is. Gay marriage is just around the corner, whether you personally like it or not.
None of your objections rise to the standard of relevance in any way.
We're next.
Poly Marriage Equality

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you think we would be wowed by your stupidity? How about the freedom to marry the person you love?
Or the ones you love.
It's not like my marriage reduces your freedom.
Nor do ours, yours.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Poly Marriage Equality wrote:
<quoted text>
We're next.
Just as soon as you explain how it's going to work to the rest of us. But you'd better get your fellow polygamists to agree that's how they want it to work first.
Poly Marriage Equality

Allston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as soon as you explain how it's going to work to the rest of us. But you'd better get your fellow polygamists to agree that's how they want it to work first.
Our marriages are just as valid as yours, and we support marriage equality. We ask that it be reciprocated. Marriage equality is for everyone, not just opposite sex, or same sex couples.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Same sex marriage is a bizarre cultural change because it introduces gender apartheid to the perfectly integrated, diverse and affirmative action of one man/one woman marriage. That's just one reason to keep marriage male/female; imagine the affect on gender segregated institutions like prisons; same sex marriage is bad for prisoners, guards and the free.
So, when are members of the NFL champion Ravens going to be forced to marry each other? LOL!
Brian_G wrote:
YOU made the claim members of professional sports teams were going to have to marry each other, even if they don't want to!
<quoted text>We already have US Supreme Court for the state's right to define marriage as one man and one woman. Anyone has the right to petition the US Supreme Court.
<quoted text>Everyone has their own reasons; we should share to make our arguments stronger. I never insult my political opponents, I strengthen my political power base.
BS. Whenever you tell people they don't deserve equal rights, you are insulting them, even if you use "nice" words.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^Same sex marriage supporters like the one quoted above, find no rationality in any marriage argument. They base their views on like and dislike, not the consequences of new marriage law. That's why they can't understand the arguments; they prefer not to use reason.
I find some of their arguments compelling; keeping marriage male/female is unfair to some same sex couples. There are real inequalities in the world, some people can't meet standards. Is it kind to destroy standards out of pity for the few individuals who can't find opposite sex mates? Is changing marriage law the best solution for everyone?
No, tolerate everyone and change no fundamental social institution to satisfy sexual predilection; if you want to be safe not sorry.
So, when are members of the Ravens going to have to marry each other against their will?

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Ad hominem is logical fallacy. I'm not interested in your personal life, I care about the affects of new marriage law on everybody.
Same sex marriage would harm gays already married by incentive's for same sex remarriage where previous, only marriage incentive was male/female marriage. In that way, same sex marriage is ex post facto law; gays have already married under traditional marriage standard, and violates the Constitution's prohibition on ex post facto incrimination.
Moron, learn what terms mean before you use them. You think you sound intelligent because you use the term "ex post facto", but you have no idea what it means.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Same sex marriage would remove the freedom and privilege women have, to be the only sex licensed to marry men. It would also deprive men of the exclusive right to marry women. Same sex marriage is anti-freedom, anti-democratic and anti-natural law as well as anti-common sense.
Speaking of common sense...
So, when are the forced prison marriages going to start?

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've never justified harming gay people; I leave that to Not Yet Equal. Many homosexuals support protecting marriage; we have gay allies. We embrace your freedom to live as you choose, not to rewrite everyone's marriage laws.
I've never advocated harm, insult or anything but treating homosexuals with human dignity like everyone else. I've never advocated special rights to redefine marriage either.
<quoted text>Marriage isn't for everybody.
It wasn't for you!

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
No need for the ERA, it would have been redundant. The 14th Amendment grants all persons,(both males and females are persons...) equal protection.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••