With celebrations, NJ has 1st gay marriages

Oct 21, 2013 Read more: Star-Telegram.com 14

Gay couples in a handful of New Jersey communities exchanged marriage vows in the first minutes of Monday morning, becoming the first to take advantage of a court ruling that forced the state to become the 14th in the nation to recognize same-sex nuptials.

Read more

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Oct 21, 2013
So they found Judges willing to A) stay up past midnight, and B) waive the 3-day waiting period.

Congratulations!

But I wouldn't want my marriage to hang on the possibility that some higher Court would decide that the Judges didn't have the authority to waive the waiting period.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#2 Oct 21, 2013
snyper wrote:
So they found Judges willing to A) stay up past midnight, and B) waive the 3-day waiting period.
Congratulations!
But I wouldn't want my marriage to hang on the possibility that some higher Court would decide that the Judges didn't have the authority to waive the waiting period.
New York's waiting period is only 1 day, but by law, that can be waived.

Location hidden

#3 Oct 21, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
New York's waiting period is only 1 day, but by law, that can be waived.
As with any contract, a 3-day cooling off period is completely reasonable. It should extend for three days AFTER the marriage, too. lol Could really cut down on annulment proceedings.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Oct 21, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
As with any contract, a 3-day cooling off period is completely reasonable. It should extend for three days AFTER the marriage, too. lol Could really cut down on annulment proceedings.
No matter where you set it, somebody is always going to be unhappy.

I think 24 hours is fine.
Jubilant Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#5 Oct 21, 2013
snyper wrote:
Congratulations!
They bought their licenses three days ago
Everything was good to go by midnight
The graphic star has yet to be applied; but the text is up to date on the Flag of Equal Marriage. On the top row we see star #1; #5; and #6. New Jersey's star will be #3 (centered between #1 and #5)
http://makeitequal.org/

Location hidden

#6 Oct 21, 2013
Jubilant Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
They bought their licenses three days ago
Everything was good to go by midnight
The graphic star has yet to be applied; but the text is up to date on the Flag of Equal Marriage. On the top row we see star #1; #5; and #6. New Jersey's star will be #3 (centered between #1 and #5)
Have you tried the prism tape idea yet?
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#7 Oct 21, 2013
Go, gay rights, GO!!!!!!
Jubilant Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Oct 21, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you tried the prism tape idea yet?
Lol! It wouldn't show on the screen
A graphic farts queen has to come in and fiddle with the digital doo-dahs to get meaningful results
GOVERNOR CHRISTIE DROPS GAY MARRIAGE APPEAL (pages 1&2)
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nj-gay-cou...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#9 Oct 21, 2013
The New Jersey Supreme Court was in a race with the legislature to hand Cristie a defeat. It was just a matter of which overrode him first.

Facing clear defeat, the "pragmatist" Cristie decided to fold. Why be seen as chasing lost causes, a la Ted Cruz? And besides: It's politically more expedient to be overridden by a court than a legislature--especially if you're a Republican.

Littleton, NH

#10 Oct 21, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
That would help in the case of drunken adventures, I'm sure. But to be effective, there would also have to be a three day waiting period before consummating the marriage.

On a more serious note, however, the advantages of waiting periods could easily be verified: We have a natural experiment with some states having no waiting period, some 24 hours, some three days. One could compile statistics regarding success and divorce rates and discover whether there be any correlation.

My guess is you would find none. In any event, I believe judges have definitive authority to waive waiting periods in all states that have them.

Location hidden

#11 Oct 21, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
That would help in the case of drunken adventures, I'm sure. But to be effective, there would also have to be a three day waiting period before consummating the marriage.
On a more serious note, however, the advantages of waiting periods could easily be verified: We have a natural experiment with some states having no waiting period, some 24 hours, some three days. One could compile statistics regarding success and divorce rates and discover whether there be any correlation.
My guess is you would find none. In any event, I believe judges have definitive authority to waive waiting periods in all states that have them.
I just figured it out.

The necessary criterion that would weed out the unready would be that Marriage License applicants be required to take a 6 week road trip together.

:-D))

Littleton, NH

#12 Oct 21, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I just figured it out.
The necessary criterion that would weed out the unready would be that Marriage License applicants be required to take a 6 week road trip together.
:-D))
I'll agree with that. My husband and I barely made it through our first vacation together.

The bright side of that was both of us realizing how much we meant to each other.

Littleton, NH

#13 Oct 21, 2013
On a side-note, I think the decorating committee could use some seasonal icons. Perhaps spiders, cross bones, bats, and mummy cases would make their non-comments more interesting.
Jubilant Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#14 Oct 22, 2013
The Flag of Equal Marriage is now up-to-date
New Jersey is top row; second visible star from left
Interesting stats:
Year of legalization/how many states (incl. DC)
2004 = 1
2008 = 1
2009 = 2
2010 = 2
2011 = 1
2012 = 2
2013 = 6 (and counting).....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Which presidential hopefuls would attend a gay ... 8 min Juss Sayen 33
News Claim: Michael Jackson Paid at Least $200M to S... 48 min persephone 332
News Gay 'marriage': A recipe for anarchy 1 hr Rainbow Kid 15
News Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) 1 hr Time to wake up 1,327
News With eye toward 2016, Kasich considers message 2 hr Christians In Nam... 1
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 2 hr No Surprise 2,533
News LTE: In Open Letter to Clearfield Community, Lo... 2 hr ProChoice 43
More from around the web