Catholic school dismisses gay teacher after publicized wedding

Aug 1, 2013 Full story: Red Bluff Daily News 81

A California man who taught for 17 years at a Catholic high school was fired days after he married his gay partner in a civil ceremony.

Full Story

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#71 May 16, 2014
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it was going public with a marriage. And aren't most marriages done in public?
It's interesting that a Catholic school would be okay as long as someone is closeted, but as son as they step out, BAM.
Nasty message to teach the girls, there, many of whom are gay.
It seems the Catholic church is teaching that "sin" is fine as long as you don't get caught and it remains secret. The teacher may have been very good at his job. But priests who molested and raped children, they didn't get fired, they got moved to new parishes to find new crops of victims to pursue.

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#72 May 16, 2014
When I was a kid and my parents (Catholic) sent me to Catechism, the teacher was talking about things like premarital sex.

One student somehow new an interesting fact about this teacher, and confronted her about it. She was "living in sin" with her fiance. She didn't deny it, and tried to explain how it was somehow okay in her case.

It was an interesting evening, but apparently nobody told their parents about it, because she was never fired. Surely if her superiors at the church were aware of this she would have been terminated immediately.... right?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#73 May 16, 2014
Tre H wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems the Catholic church is teaching that "sin" is fine as long as you don't get caught and it remains secret. The teacher may have been very good at his job. But priests who molested and raped children, they didn't get fired, they got moved to new parishes to find new crops of victims to pursue.
Pope Benedict defrocked over 400 priest. In Boston alone, 70 priests and ministers have been sent to jail.

It's no secret that the cover-ups are true, that's just wrong. Those involved should be charged with aiding and abetting and be in jail too.
Time marches

Sierra Madre, CA

#74 May 16, 2014
Time marches on

It was an interesting evening, but apparently nobody told their parents about it, because she was never fired. Surely if her superiors at the church were aware of this she would have been terminated immediately.... right?

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#75 May 19, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Pope Benedict defrocked over 400 priest. In Boston alone, 70 priests and ministers have been sent to jail.
It's no secret that the cover-ups are true, that's just wrong. Those involved should be charged with aiding and abetting and be in jail too.
Too little too late. Benedict only did what he did because it had risen to a very public scandal. Prior to that he was just as guilty in actually facilitating the cover-up. Unfortunately, 400 priests is only a small percentage of how many abused children. 70 out of tens of thousands is pathetic.

The point here being, they didn't fire this teacher because he was gay. They fired him because it became public knowledge. Just like the church did not go after abusive priests because they harmed people and deserved justice, but because it became a public scandal.
Strange brew

Covina, CA

#76 May 19, 2014
Strange how they turn the other cheek for there priests.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#77 May 20, 2014
Tre H wrote:
<quoted text>
The point here being, they didn't fire this teacher because he was gay. They fired him because it became public knowledge.
They fired him because he got married, not because it became public knowledge that he was gay.

"A California man who taught for 17 years at a Catholic high school was fired days after he married his gay partner"
Dan

United States

#78 May 20, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
They fired him because he got married, not because it became public knowledge that he was gay.
"A California man who taught for 17 years at a Catholic high school was fired days after he married his gay partner"
,,,,,,and it became public knowledge after Bencomo granted a press interview with video to the Southern California newspaper Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.
Grover

Covina, CA

#79 May 20, 2014
And this happened in one of SoCal's crooked cities, Glendora
USPS stamps Glendora

Covina, CA

#80 May 20, 2014
Postal Service To Release Harvey Milk Stamp on Thursday, May 22, 2014.
Steal Their Lil Minds

Pittsfield, MA

#81 May 20, 2014
USPS stamps Glendora wrote:
Postal Service To Release Harvey Milk Stamp on Thursday, May 22, 2014.
Hurray for child rapists! Hurray!
Pittsfields

Covina, CA

#82 May 20, 2014
Yes there was a couple of them in Glendora, Art's son inlaw and Venberg jr.
Steal Their Lil Minds

Pittsfield, MA

#83 May 20, 2014
Pittsfields wrote:
Yes there was a couple of them in Glendora, Art's son inlaw and Venberg jr.
They sure would fit right in around these parts that I live in. Especially if they're bankers, sheriffs, and school teachers. Just to name a few.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#84 May 20, 2014
Tre H wrote:
Unfortunately, 400 priests is only a small percentage of how many abused children. 70 out of tens of thousands is pathetic.
70 was just in Massachusetts.
"Tens of thousands"
Really? I think you may be exaggerating a little.

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#85 May 21, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
They fired him because he got married, not because it became public knowledge that he was gay.
"A California man who taught for 17 years at a Catholic high school was fired days after he married his gay partner"
They fired him because it became public knowledge that he got married. Either way, they did not fire him because he wasn't able to do his job.

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#86 May 21, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
70 was just in Massachusetts.
"Tens of thousands"
Really? I think you may be exaggerating a little.
Perhaps it was "only" thousands... not the point.
Sorry if I missed where it said we were only discussing Massachusetts here.
Feral Pig

Pittsfield, MA

#87 May 21, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Pope Benedict defrocked over 400 priest. In Boston alone, 70 priests and ministers have been sent to jail.
It's no secret that the cover-ups are true, that's just wrong. Those involved should be charged with aiding and abetting and be in jail too.
Some rabbis just flee the country to Israel. Many that do molest rarely ever make the news.
I can't imagine why.

:o)
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#88 May 21, 2014
Tre H wrote:
<quoted text>
They fired him because it became public knowledge that he got married. Either way, they did not fire him because he wasn't able to do his job.
He violated the terms of his contract. It's that simple.
If you are gay and planning to marry, don't take a job at a Catholic institution. Simple.
Feral Pig

Pittsfield, MA

#89 May 21, 2014
Some might suggest there are nefarious entities out there attempting to redefine "Certain" religions by forcing them to abide by big brothers scheming of subversion with what some would consider depravity.

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#90 May 21, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
He violated the terms of his contract. It's that simple.
If you are gay and planning to marry, don't take a job at a Catholic institution. Simple.
You know what... I actually agree with you on this one. Even if you're NOT planning to marry. Although I might make considerations for certain jobs or institutions, if it were up to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man takes legal action after Denver baker refus... 15 min Wondering 720
Baker faces complaint for refusing anti-gay mes... 19 min Wondering 33
Ala judges weighing whether to perform same-sex... 32 min Whos Your Daddy Now 13
Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 2 hr david traversa 1
Sarah Palin and her onetime fans on the right: ... 3 hr woodtick57 213
Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage wo... 6 hr Abrahammock Relig... 63
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 8 hr NoahLovesU 29,196
More from around the web