Somalia: Returning Diaspora Men Trans...

Somalia: Returning Diaspora Men Transform Mogadishu Wedding Industry

There are 46 comments on the AllAfrica.com story from Aug 26, 2013, titled Somalia: Returning Diaspora Men Transform Mogadishu Wedding Industry. In it, AllAfrica.com reports that:

Somali men from the diaspora are spending big money on bridal dowries and other wedding costs as they take advantage of safer conditions in Mogadishu to get married.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AllAfrica.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sheikh Voodoo

Camberwell, Australia

#1 Aug 26, 2013
Interesting story where middle aged cab drivers spend all their savings in a night's wedding. Are these men divorcees fed up with Somali women in diaspora, or, husbands seeking a second younger wife?
Ali

Newmarket, Canada

#2 Aug 26, 2013
Lets be honest, the Somali women of the West are too Westernized. Not all, but a majority.

For a young Somali man in the West who has worked hard and has a good income, he deserves a good woman who knows her culture and isn't as Westernized.

I know at least 12 guys in the last few years who went back to get married.
ilwaad

Coventry, UK

#3 Aug 26, 2013
Ali wrote:
Lets be honest, the Somali women of the West are too Westernized. Not all, but a majority.

For a young Somali man in the West who has worked hard and has a good income, he deserves a good woman who knows her culture and isn't as Westernized.

I know at least 12 guys in the last few years who went back to get married.
It's strange that you comment on any topic to do with "westernized women" and puntlndgeezer comments on any topic to do with women who wear jilbab. Cajiib.

These men that go back home to marry do so because they do not want to spend a lot of money on a wedding (I can't blame them really) but they also marry women back home because they are easier to manage financially. They keep them back there and send a lil sum of money each month, enough to keep them sweet. It is not that the ones back home are better or anything, if given the chance they could be more of a nightmare to deal with. Anyway, it's their money and therefore their choice. I feel sorry for the somali brothers back home though,'cause they are losing out. Hopefully, these "westernized somali women" can go back home to marry them. Everyone is happy then.
Somali Man

Newmarket, Canada

#4 Aug 26, 2013
Ali wrote:
Lets be honest, the Somali women of the West are too Westernized. Not all, but a majority.
For a young Somali man in the West who has worked hard and has a good income, he deserves a good woman who knows her culture and isn't as Westernized.
I know at least 12 guys in the last few years who went back to get married.
This is a blatant lie. Some are Westernized, but not most, I assure you. But getting married to a girl back home has it's benefits.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#5 Aug 26, 2013
ilwaad wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully, these "westernized somali women" can go back home to marry them. Everyone is happy then.
What sane diaspora girl would want to marry a farax lol
waqooyi

Doha, Qatar

#6 Aug 26, 2013
second wife always sweat,she renew the appetite of sex to go stronger again,and that is for the benefit of the elder one also.
I needs just to try.
PuntldGeezer PIS

London, UK

#8 Aug 26, 2013
Somali Man wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a blatant lie. Some are Westernized, but not most, I assure you. But getting married to a girl back home has it's benefits.
My mum lives in mogadishu she brought up this orphan abgal girl she's probably 18 now and my mum said she's mine so basically I got the right refusal on her.
PuntldGeezer PIS

London, UK

#9 Aug 26, 2013
ilwaad wrote:
<quoted text>
It's strange that you comment on any topic to do with "westernized women" and puntlndgeezer comments on any topic to do with women who wear jilbab. Cajiib.
These men that go back home to marry do so because they do not want to spend a lot of money on a wedding (I can't blame them really) but they also marry women back home because they are easier to manage financially. They keep them back there and send a lil sum of money each month, enough to keep them sweet. It is not that the ones back home are better or anything, if given the chance they could be more of a nightmare to deal with. Anyway, it's their money and therefore their choice. I feel sorry for the somali brothers back home though,'cause they are losing out. Hopefully, these "westernized somali women" can go back home to marry them. Everyone is happy then.
Is ka warren Let me ask you three simple question

Are you fit?
What style of clothing do you wear?
Are you a cultural woman?

My dream wife would be someone who's fit, wears guntiino and have the most beautiful singing voice like when she's in kitchen cooking she has to sing a romantic Hees.

inantaan ra caashaqay aduunra dhexdiisa waa adiga amore
indhaheygu waxay eegaan waa adiga amore
aragti fiican waxan oran karaa waa adiga
iska ilaali labo isku uur fiyoow dadba kala argoosho
indhaheygu waa adiga jacaykaygu waa adiga
Somali Man

Newmarket, Canada

#10 Aug 26, 2013
PuntldGeezer PIS wrote:
<quoted text>
Is ka warren Let me ask you three simple question
Are you fit?
What style of clothing do you wear?
Are you a cultural woman?
My dream wife would be someone who's fit, wears guntiino and have the most beautiful singing voice like when she's in kitchen cooking she has to sing a romantic Hees.
inantaan ra caashaqay aduunra dhexdiisa waa adiga amore
indhaheygu waxay eegaan waa adiga amore
aragti fiican waxan oran karaa waa adiga
iska ilaali labo isku uur fiyoow dadba kala argoosho
indhaheygu waa adiga jacaykaygu waa adiga
Bro, that's so simple. Just go to graduate school, meet a first year girl who's cultured and is a music major. You got the whole package.
PuntldGeezer PIS

London, UK

#11 Aug 27, 2013
Somali Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Bro, that's so simple. Just go to graduate school, meet a first year girl who's cultured and is a music major. You got the whole package.
I don't want a westernised girl or taliban students I just want a normal cultured somali girl she must wear dirac, baati or guntiino.
Sheikh Voodoo

Melbourne, Australia

#12 Aug 27, 2013
PuntldGeezer PIS wrote:
I don't want a westernised girl or taliban students I just want a normal cultured somali girl she must wear dirac, baati or guntiino.
Much respect to you and your culture. The fact is Puntland is now economically controlled by al-i3tisam salafis. I was in Bosaso, Garowe and 8ardo in my Somalia tour, and I have witnessed that many of your Puntlander women dress like Saudi women.

I don't think a Somali women who finds Somali men in the diaspora too westernised will go back to marry? I'm not implying one way or the other, that these men seek a traditional woman, but truly a different woman.
PuntldGeezer PIS

London, UK

#13 Aug 27, 2013
Sheikh Voodoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Much respect to you and your culture. The fact is Puntland is now economically controlled by al-i3tisam salafis. I was in Bosaso, Garowe and 8ardo in my Somalia tour, and I have witnessed that many of your Puntlander women dress like Saudi women.
I don't think a Somali women who finds Somali men in the diaspora too westernised will go back to marry? I'm not implying one way or the other, that these men seek a traditional woman, but truly a different woman.
Those woman who wear jilbab are refugees from Southern Somalia they too poor to afford decent clothes. The other thing is the Southern refugees are not allowed to travel outside the camps or seeks jobs and they must have a proper documents and identification or otherwise they will go to prison, fined then deported to Southern Somalia

We need to know who's a refugee and who's al shabaab that's why garowe and hargeisa is peace unlike Mogadishu where Al shabaab staged numerous suicide attacks, road bombs, etc.
Ruby

London, UK

#14 Aug 27, 2013
" My mum lives in mogdishu she bought up this orphan abgal girl she's probably 18 now and my mum says she's mine"

Loooooool

You're mum is pimping out orphan girls. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

I'm going to pray for this girl, and any other orphans your mum decides to "look after".
PuntldGeezer PIS

London, UK

#15 Aug 27, 2013
Ruby wrote:
" My mum lives in mogdishu she bought up this orphan abgal girl she's probably 18 now and my mum says she's mine"
Loooooool
You're mum is pimping out orphan girls. The apple does not fall far from the tree.
I'm going to pray for this girl, and any other orphans your mum decides to "look after".
Her parents were both killed by some crazy hawiya morons she was on the street begging food when me mom found her she raised her just like her own daughter. She's the girl I have always dreamt about she's not fat but fit, she doesn't have futon weyn rather a small cute ass and probably most importantly is she doesn't wear any tent.

This orphan girl is gonna get the best husband in the whole world LMAO.

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Aug 27, 2013
American women are the most rejected women in the world due to their immorality arrogance and stupidity. Asian men have been going back home for wives a long time because they can find no decent here. The women are dime a dozen. But when compared to any woman in Asia or Africa or Arabia, they loose out. Even I am seriously thinking about going back home before getting married again. I know I can do as soon as I et the time. Right now, I am too busy ad tied down here. But it is something to think for e near future.
Ruby

Edgware, UK

#17 Aug 27, 2013
"She raised her just like her own daughter"

If that's the case, why is she grooming her "child" for one of her other children. Sounds incestuous to me lol

Your mother is exploiting that girl and its disgusting. No wonder you act the way you do . Taking advantage of a child who's completely dependent on your family. The worst kind of abuse.
ilwaad

Ilford, UK

#18 Aug 27, 2013
PuntldGeezer PIS wrote:
<quoted text>Is ka warren Let me ask you three simple question

Are you fit?
What style of clothing do you wear?
Are you a cultural woman?

My dream wife would be someone who's fit, wears guntiino and have the most beautiful singing voice like when she's in kitchen cooking she has to sing a romantic Hees.

inantaan ra caashaqay aduunra dhexdiisa waa adiga amore
indhaheygu waxay eegaan waa adiga amore
aragti fiican waxan oran karaa waa adiga
iska ilaali labo isku uur fiyoow dadba kala argoosho
indhaheygu waa adiga jacaykaygu waa adiga
[email protected] you fit. Suaal xumidaa. Yes, I'm cultural...but you are confused about what somali culture is and I must say with your attitude you are only going to attract naive little girls who can't think for themselves but that's probably what you're after. [email protected] cheesy song!! Unfortunately for you, I'm happily married.:-)

I feel sorry for any girl you end up marrying.
ilwaad

Ilford, UK

#19 Aug 27, 2013
PuntldGeezer PIS wrote:
<quoted text>Her parents were both killed by some crazy hawiya morons she was on the street begging food when me mom found her she raised her just like her own daughter. She's the girl I have always dreamt about she's not fat but fit, she doesn't have futon weyn rather a small cute ass and probably most importantly is she doesn't wear any tent.

This orphan girl is gonna get the best husband in the whole world LMAO.
The best husband? LOL...miskiiinta I really hope she finds someone else. You know she is an orphan, so if you mistreat her or usurp her wealth you will be severely punished. The way you speak about her makes me feel sick to the stomach...she's not your property. She is not obliged to marry you just 'cause your mum raised her...she has rights and you can't marry her without her consent. I really hope she locates her paternal/maternal relatives...and escapes a lifetime sentence with you.
Ali

Helsinki, Finland

#20 Aug 27, 2013
Western somali girls do not work out , they are fat , they are lazy , they are greedy and cheating whores .
The western governments protect these cheating somali girls in case of a divorce and husband will lose 50% of his wealth just by divorcing her .
I am young somali male living in Helsinki , studying programming and computer engineering , i rather go back to Somalia to get me decent somali woman than dealing with these western somali women .
Somali Man

Newmarket, Canada

#21 Aug 27, 2013
Ali wrote:
Western somali girls do not work out , they are fat , they are lazy , they are greedy and cheating whores .
The western governments protect these cheating somali girls in case of a divorce and husband will lose 50% of his wealth just by divorcing her .
I am young somali male living in Helsinki , studying programming and computer engineering , i rather go back to Somalia to get me decent somali woman than dealing with these western somali women .
The not working out part is the only true thing I see. Cheating whores? I've never heard one single Somali woman who did this in my entire life. Greedy? Nope, I've seen men of little means with some (these were Somali men). The alimony scare doesn't apply to use since we don't do state marriages but Islamic marriages. My parents are divorced, nothing happened. Nothing was expected. We just lived our lives. In fact, I'm on bored to marry one when I grow up solely because I know I won't get screwed over in the end of the day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wedding 2 hr rocket158 1
News Naked Man In Bridal Shop Window Nabbed 5 hr beatlesinthebog 3
News Bryan Fischer: Christians Baking Cake for Gay W... (Jun '14) 6 hr Rose_NoHo 35
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... 7 hr Frankie Rizzo 220
News Bill Clinton tells a love story to make his cas... 9 hr Mikey 5
News Community mourns the loss of Kent Tocher Fri Welly 1
[Guide] Funny maid of honor speech (Sep '14) Fri lightweb 160
More from around the web