Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: CBS2 50,065

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Full Story
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#36961 Jan 8, 2013
Southern Lady01 wrote:
In actuality, there is NO separation of church & state
No ma'am
Still standing today we are protected by the 1948 United States Supreme Court McCollum vs Board of Education decision; 'separation means separation; not something less':
++++++++++
We find that the basic Constitutional principle of absolute Separation was violated when the State of Illinois, speaking through its Supreme Court, sustained the school authorities of Champaign in sponsoring and effectively furthering religious beliefs by its educational arrangement.
Separation means separation, not something less. Jefferson's metaphor in describing the relation between Church and State speaks of a "wall of separation," not of a fine line easily overstepped. The public school is at once the symbol of our democracy and the most pervasive means for promoting our common destiny. In no activity of the State is it more vital to keep out divisive forces than in its schools, to avoid confusing, not to say fusing, what the Constitution sought to keep strictly apart. "The great American principle of eternal separation" -- Elihu Root's phrase bears repetition -- is one of the vital reliances of our Constitutional system for assuring unities among our people stronger than our diversities. It is the Court's duty to enforce this principle in its full integrity.
We renew our conviction that:
"we have staked the very existence of our country on the faith that complete separation between the state and religion is best for the state and best for religion."
If nowhere else, in the relation between Church and State, "good fences make good neighbors."
++++++++++
mary jo

Markham, IL

#36962 Jan 8, 2013
Southern Lady01 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know I don't believe you are gay or that you're really the way you let on. I think you just like the attention; either good or bad. You like to take what people say & twist it into something discusting because you can't communicate intelligently. Poor thing!!!
thnks so much for your concern !! HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
Get Informed

United States

#36963 Jan 8, 2013
Illinois is lime California without the good weather. Basically it sucks. Illinois rewards lazy people kr people who want free stuff and takes or punishes those who work.
illinois

Markham, IL

#36964 Jan 8, 2013
Get Informed wrote:
Illinois is lime California without the good weather. Basically it sucks. Illinois rewards lazy people kr people who want free stuff and takes or punishes those who work.
bite me
Cool Hand Luke

Scranton, PA

#36965 Jan 8, 2013
Illinois is far more queer than California, remember California voted down same sex marriage! There are pockets of California that are infested with queers but the whole state of Illianois is flooded with homosexuals.
illinois wrote:
<quoted text>bite me

“Free your mind”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#36966 Jan 8, 2013
Southern Lady01 wrote:
In actuality, there is NO separation of church & state. Read your money; it says "In God We Trust". God is in everything. It doesn't matter if you like it or you don't or if you agree or if you don't. The bill didn't go thru & I think it's wonderful that it didn't & I hope it never does.
Words from Thomas Jefferson, one of our founding fathers... "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

Jefferson's own words... a wall of separation between church and state. It can't be said any more clearly.

http://www.usconstitution.net/jeffwall.html
Cool Hand Luke

Scranton, PA

#36967 Jan 8, 2013
It's funny you would quote Jefferson considering how many times you have bashed the constitution.

That was not in the constitution but instead was in a letter written by Jefferson. Why not quote what the constitution actually says? We know why!
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Words from Thomas Jefferson, one of our founding fathers... "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."
Jefferson's own words... a wall of separation between church and state. It can't be said any more clearly.
gay

United States

#36968 Jan 8, 2013
Michael Clark Duncun wrote:
<quoted text>Then I guess this post means that you in fact hate yourself? That is if you were truly a gay person of which you're not! Nice try but take your bible and stick it where the "SON" don't shine! This remains a secular nation with separation of church and state! And for a very good reason I might add! I mean just read your hateful "GOD" post and other hateful posts on this thread and many others! How about you try to actually follow what your Jesus taught! As it is,you're an epic fail!'Sigh"
I do try to practice what the bible teaches but there's people like you who I'd rather kill so I read the bible to try to take the hate out of me and it works til I run into someone like you again. Wish I had a brick to bash your fkn face in. I don't have to take a bible and shove it anywhere, but why don't you take a razor blade and shove it up yours and pour alcohol on it then set it on fire. But the bible tells me that vengeance is for the lord and in order for God to forgive my sun I'm supposed to pray for you and forgive yours. Do you see why it's so hard?? Flaming queen
same as gary indiana

United States

#36969 Jan 8, 2013
Get Informed wrote:
it's not just Illinois. It's the whole country!!

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#36971 Jan 8, 2013
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
It's funny you would quote Jefferson considering how many times you have bashed the constitution.
That was not in the constitution but instead was in a letter written by Jefferson. Why not quote what the constitution actually says? We know why!
<quoted text>
I have never bashed the constitution, in fact, I have quoted it several times on here...
same as gary indiana

United States

#36972 Jan 8, 2013
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
<quoted text>They would like you to think so and they try their best to magnify their numbers but they are only 2% of the population.

U.S. Census Playing Homosexual Charades?

U.S. Census Bureau Inflates Same-Sex Couple Numbers by 40 percent

Original data published by the 2010 Census reported that the number of same-sex households in the U.S. was 901,997, including 349,377 same-sex “married couple households,” and 552,620 same-sex unmarried partner households.

On Tuesday, however, the Census Bureau admitted that those numbers were significantly revised downward after staff discovered inconsistency in file statistics “that artificially inflated the number of same-sex couples.”

The number initially reported was about 40% higher than what the Census Bureau believes to be accurate.

The Census Bureau now estimates that there are 131,729 same-sex “married couple households,” and 514,735 same-sex unmarried partner households in the U.S. for a total of 646,464 same-sex households. The Census Bureau had, therefore, misrepresented the number of same-sex couples by 255,533 or 39.5%.

Why might this miscalculation and misreporting be important?

First off, the figure is an estimate. No doubt, same-sex “marriage” advocates will suggest that many such couples refuse to report their status and that the actual numbers are much higher. They will not only want to demonstrate that the numbers are higher, but that they are on the rise. Since, however, the number is an estimate, it’s just as conceivable (especially given the error) that the numbers are even lower. While I give the Census Bureau credit for its attempt at accuracy, the estimate, their mistake, and the highly politicized nature of the debate really put the data into question.

Numbers are important, particularly when it comes to politics and public policy.

Considering the battle over same-sex “marriage” going on in many states across the country, the president’s overwhelming support for the homosexual agenda, and the pop culture’s embrace, celebration, and promotion of homosexuality, inflated numbers make same-sex coupling seem far more common than it really is.

If, as the Census Bureau reports, there are 116,716,292 total households in the U.S., that means that same-sex households make up .55 percent of the total.

That’s far, far less than what’s more commonly reported by the media, and drastically less than what’s depicted on television and film. the total number of homosexuals in the U.S. is estimated to be lower than 2%.

Of the 10 ranked cable networks in their most recent report, ABC Family was labeled the most pro-homosexual, with 55 percent of its programming hours featuring inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues.
CBS, Showtime, TNT, HBO, AMC and others featured homosexual issues between 29 and 37% of their programming hours.

So a demographic that accounts for .55 percent of the total U.S. households garners 29 to 55 percent of television station’s programming hours? The Media Research Center has done much research in this regard and reported on it.

According to an April Gallup Poll, U.S. adults overestimate that more Americans are homosexual than are Catholic. They estimate that 25% of Americans are homosexual. Not so! The actual number of 2% is shocking to most Americans.

The poll cites entertainment as a likely factor.“This [poll] suggests Americans have had even more exposure to gays and lesbians, be it in their personal lives or through entertainment or other means.”

They come to the conclusion that the primary cause of the inaccurate estimate is due to entertainment influences.

“In terms of how people constitute their mental pictures of society, these things drive the impression that gays are a normal and substantial portion of the population,” said The Economist blog.
I bet it's a lot more than %2
uh

United States

#36973 Jan 8, 2013
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>I have never bashed the constitution, in fact, I have quoted it several times on here...
your not supposed to live by the constitution your supposed to live by Christ so why not do what the bible says
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#36974 Jan 8, 2013
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
They would like you to think so and they try their best to magnify their numbers but they are only 2% of the population.
We deliberately understate our numbers to foil the enemy in battle
Gays and bisexuals together total 83% of the world's population
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#36975 Jan 8, 2013
uh wrote:
<quoted text>your not supposed to live by the constitution your supposed to live by Christ so why not do what the bible says
This is a joke, right?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#36976 Jan 8, 2013
uh wrote:
<quoted text>your not supposed to live by the constitution your supposed to live by Christ so why not do what the bible says
The bible is not permissible as evidence in a court of law unless it was the actual murder weapon used to bludgeon the victim to death

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#36977 Jan 8, 2013
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>Words from Thomas Jefferson, one of our founding fathers... "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

You tell that to all the presidents in the past who prayed before making major decisions or who called their pastor for advice & prayer before deciding to go to war? How many people do you think pray in any government office everyday before making decisions that effect all of us every day?

Location hidden

#36978 Jan 8, 2013
uh wrote:
Amen.

Location hidden

#36979 Jan 8, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>The bible is not permissible as evidence in a court of law unless it was the actual murder weapon used to bludgeon the victim to death
How long was a Bible in every court room in this country? I do believe witnesses were asked to put their hand on it & promise to tell the truth. Yes the Bible can be used as evidence in a court of law if someone does something & blames it on what they believe the Bible told them to do or not do. Such as when people try to with hold medical treatment due to religious beliefs. People use the Bible to do evil as well as good. People will answer to God for what they do. Regardless if courts like it or not. Sorry, just the way it is!!!

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#36980 Jan 8, 2013
Southern Lady01 wrote:
<quoted text>
You tell that to all the presidents in the past who prayed before making major decisions or who called their pastor for advice & prayer before deciding to go to war? How many people do you think pray in any government office everyday before making decisions that effect all of us every day?
They are allowed to worship in whatever way they want. The point is that they are not supposed to use their religious opinion in making laws. If they use their religious opinion then they are forcing their religious beliefs on everyone else. There are more than just Christians in the United States you know.
hmmmmm

Saint Louis, MO

#36981 Jan 8, 2013
To even consider that a person would not be influenced by their
religious beliefs is very unrealistic.
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
They are allowed to worship in whatever way they want. The point is that they are not supposed to use their religious opinion in making laws. If they use their religious opinion then they are forcing their religious beliefs on everyone else. There are more than just Christians in the United States you know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Church boots AA group over gay weddings 1 hr Wondering 44
Gazans rush to enjoy life after ruinous war 2 hr James 98
German Ethics Council Insists Sex Between Broth... 4 hr tell me 6
What if high court rejects gay marriage cases? 5 hr WasteWater 10
Divorce Law Out Of Synch With Same-Sex Marriage 7 hr Fundies R Mentall... 41
Today's News: Our Take - Melody Thomas Scott Di... (Apr '13) 14 hr dmw 50
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 15 hr SPECIAL 31,282

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE